Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beef price tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭poor farmer

49801 wrote: »
    Thought the prices sounded on the strong side on the paper alright.
    The papers always appear to me to give strong prices compared to what I can get but always makes me think we're just soft sellers:eek:.

You cant really blame the the paper for trying to talk up the prices a bit.
    The usually give a range e.g. €3.70-3.80 .The bigger prices seem to only be paid to the sellers with big numbers of cattle regularly,

A neigbour sold dairy bred bulls today ,around 300kg dw €3.70 for Os €3.50forPs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,367 ✭✭✭MfMan

I got my grades back from the factory lately & dont fully understand them.
    My base price was €3.90 for heifers
    I only got a 6c bones on an R3.
    I had a U5 which i got no bonus for at all,i know she was over fat but still i thought i wld get some extra for a U grade??
    Also i had an animal dat went over age by 1 day,tis was due to my agent canceling my cattle for a later date yet i had to take the hit...
    Does anyone have any answers for me?? Confused...

Was it an R+, or R=, R- ? Only R+ will get the bonus. Ditto, U5; U+ will not be penalised, U=, U- will be docked 6c and 12c (according to the chart I have anyway). Plead your case with the procurer at the factory, explain the delay. Mightn't work for now but it may help in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

I got my grades back from the factory lately & dont fully understand them.
    My base price was €3.90 for heifers
    I only got a 6c bones on an R3. base price is from R= or R- also if the heifer was an R+4+ it would also result in you getting base price
    I had a U5 which i got no bonus for at all,i know she was over fat but still i thought i wld get some extra for a U grade?? A animal grading a fat score of 5 will automatically be deducted 24cents a kilo. The U grade added 24c a kilo but the fat took it away again so you came back to base price.
    Also i had an animal dat went over age by 1 day,tis was due to my agent canceling my cattle for a later date yet i had to take the hit... You will be told to sling your hook unfortunately
    Does anyone have any answers for me?? Confused...

hope this helps, letting animals go overfat is a complete no no when selling beef as the hit in price is huge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

hope this helps, letting animals go overfat is a complete no no when selling beef as the hit in price is huge

If he is deducted 24 cent for a fat score of 5, what is the story with a fat score of 1. A neighbour giving out about a cow grading E1, so I presume he must've been deducted for the 1 score?

According to the comic beef prices are improving.
    I wonder would justin buy a few

• Advertisement

johnpawl wrote: »
    If he is deducted 24 cent for a fat score of 5, what is the story with a fat score of 1. A neighbour giving out about a cow grading E1, so I presume he must've been deducted for the 1 score?
    yip cant say what the exact amount is but I had a E1 a few weeks ago and I can check the deduction. *Think* it worked out at around only 20c over base price after the fat deduction

Not a good day here, slaughtering today, heifer dead in the pens due to be slaughtered tomorrow, and a good bull put in the skip at the factory for a hematoma, noticed him getting a lump last week but didnt think it was that serious. Oh well onwards and upwards hopefully:)

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭grange mac

Not a good day here, slaughtering today, heifer dead in the pens due to be slaughtered tomorrow, and a good bull put in the skip at the factory for a hematoma, noticed him getting a lump last week but didnt think it was that serious. Oh well onwards and upwards hopefully:)[/Quote]
    Do they pay you if they die in factory pin? Thats nasty bob. Off to round up my charlaois bullocks first 10 off to mart today....hopefully will have a good day but the tangelers will decide that for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

grange mac wrote: »
    Not a good day here, slaughtering today, heifer dead in the pens due to be slaughtered tomorrow, and a good bull put in the skip at the factory for a hematoma, noticed him getting a lump last week but didnt think it was that serious. Oh well onwards and upwards hopefully:)
    Do they pay you if they die in factory pin? Thats nasty bob. Off to round up my charlaois bullocks first 10 off to mart today....hopefully will have a good day but the tangelers will decide that for me...[/QUOTE]

Not if they do not insure them before they go up the line. Factorys are not insuring anything that there is anything wrong with. I see lately if an animal has a limp, looks a bit backwards, or has a twist on the leg they sre not insured before going on the line. As well they will not inform you of this before the slaughter them. TThe first you know is that they are missing from the check. Have been lucky soo far knock on wood. But I know of two people that had issues.

Was he condemmed before line Bob had a bull with that 2 yeras ago it was on the neck it burst he was ok for a while but it came back it was starting to fill again when he was slaughtered.

Do they pay you if they die in factory pin? Thats nasty bob. Off to round up my charlaois bullocks first 10 off to mart today....hopefully will have a good day but the tangelers will decide that for me...

Not if they do not insure them before they go up the line. Factorys are not insuring anything that there is anything wrong with. I see lately if an animal has a limp, looks a bit backwards, or has a twist on the leg they sre not insured before going on the line. As well they will not inform you of this before the slaughter them. TThe first you know is that they are missing from the check. Have been lucky soo far knock on wood. But I know of two people that had issues.

Was he condemmed before line Bob had a bull with that 2 yeras ago it was on the neck it burst he was ok for a while but it came back it was starting to fill again when he was slaughtered.[/QUOTE]

The first animal was dead in my own yard (fully wormed/vaccinated, observed her eating perfectly 12hrs previously)

The second bull developed a lump under his belly about 10 days ago. I was of the opinion to leave him for a few days and let him recover from the knock he may have gotten etc. lump got bigger and looked like the stomach had collapse but his dung and feeding was perfect. Sent him off in the knowledge that it could go either way. Was skipped after slaughtered and wasnt insured

5c more for todays cattle than yesterdays animals:rolleyes:. Im getting the feeling that the powers that be are a little nervous about the supply post christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭grange mac

Back from mart...hate them tanglers...charlaois avged 650kgs and all bar 2 sold to the same man...on two occasions he was only bidder. Nobody would bid against him. came out with around 1.95kg. But at least there sold. Some times I wonder would I do better in factory with cattle that are close to being finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Anyone got quotes for bullocks for the coming week? I've a load fit for killing. Heard prices might be heading north

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭dryan

Quoted 3.80 base for this week for bullocks - midlands area. Got the same price 3 weeks back.
    Have a batch of 10 to go.
    Was told to take it or leave it.

Dropped over 2 bullocks from the batch this morning as they will be overage on Friday.
    Going to sit tight with the rest. Surely to god they will rise a bit over the next few weeks??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Anyone get quotes for O grade cull cows this week? Irish independent on Tuesday saying 320-346c .. Anyone anything more specific

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭limerick farmer

was quoted 3.20 for over 700lbs and 3.10 over 600 lbs not great but take it or leave it

Bodacious wrote: »
    Anyone get quotes for O grade cull cows this week? Irish independent on Tuesday saying 320-346c .. Anyone anything more specific
    was quoted 3.20 for over 700lbs and 3.10 over 600 lbs not great but take it or leave it

The old advice of "sell live to stay alive" seems to ring through for cull cows especially. €3.20 - €3.30 for O cows

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭dryan

Anyone got any quotes (bullocks) for the coming week?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

dryan wrote: »
    Anyone got any quotes (bullocks) for the coming week?

3.80 but is to come back with better or else they will be staying, not for delivery until the following week.

€3.75 for O grade bulls ,Factory seem to be a little more anxious to get stock

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

The old advice of "sell live to stay alive" seems to ring through for cull cows especially. €3.20 - €3.30 for O cows

A neighbour of mine sold a cull cow in the mart for 1300 euros last week, he found out that the cow was killed the next day and made 1550 euros. Nice work if you can get it:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »
    A neighbour of mine sold a cull cow in the mart for 1300 euros last week, he found out that the cow was killed the next day and made 1550 euros. Nice work if you can get it:rolleyes:

sure is, but what about the costs inbetween. For me to buy a cow in a mart and kill the following day im losing money if the price difference is only €50 greater. Probably closer to €70 if I take into account mortality during transport of old cows. Now your neighbour wouldnt have gotten the same price for his one cow vs the guy that bought her selling maybe 30 together. He probably was down a €100 on that animal

At the end of the day you win some and you lose some, your mate was happy the time he sold her or else he would have brought her home. What the next man does is his business, no point me worried that keepak or ABP makes €500 when they buy the animal off of me. I was happy to sell it.

I bought continental cows of a guy recently for 1400 a piece that he had booked for slaughter a few days later. He would have been lucky to get 1300 in the factory as they had no finish with calfs just weaned. Now I would consider them good value as they are serious feeding cows and should feed into very good weights and hopefully leave a few quid in 3 months time. You takes your chances whatever you do.

nashmach wrote: »
    3.80 but is to come back with better or else they will be staying, not for delivery until the following week.

Impossible to sell cattle when your selling for a couple of weeks in advance. Same craic down these parts at present but I bet if I asked the agent down here that acts for your factory when could I get a double of cattle killed, bet they would be killed before yours as they always move far away cattle fast to keep local things under control. Miserable fookers.

Just off the phone with a guy finishing the same number as myself and we are both of the opinion we a going to get roasted this winter:(, and I consider this guy having a serious eye for the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

Fair enough, i agree with everything you say there. I know dealers arent buying finished cattle to lose money on them. I was just making the point that if farmers are selling finished cattle they should know the value of them. At least cows are making more than 60 - 70 p/lb like they were a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭flat out !!

Agent out looking at my fr bulls, left offering 3.80 for o's and 3.95 for r's. I dont expect too many r's so i'm holding out for more. Meal @ €300/tonne is the real killer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭epfff

Took 375for fresians and 4 ch bulls last week

€3.75 for O grade bulls ,Factory seem to be a little more anxious to get stock

getting €3.80 for them now

Best quote for over age bullocks 390 for r's and 384 for o's

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Any update on cattle prices, base prices and flat prices for overage cattle especially friesians and for friesans bulls

I have met no one that has being getting anything near what the Farmers Journal was saying was being given to easy sellers last week. did they make a print mistake as trade still sluggish around here. No prices for you pudsey for this week, will let you know tomorrow as I have cattle slaughter tomorrow. €4 being paid for heifers to go on long trips around here this week :confused:. Called ot a regular I buy from at the weekend, an agent had just bought the animals even though they had no finish, will expect them to return less from slaughter than what I was going to pay for them for a further 3 months feeding. A fiver is big money to most agents :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I have met no one that has being getting anything near what the Farmers Journal was saying was being given to easy sellers last week. did they make a print mistake as trade still sluggish around here. No prices for you pudsey for this week, will let you know tomorrow as I have cattle slaughter tomorrow. €4 being paid for heifers to go on long trips around here this week :confused:. Called ot a regular I buy from at the weekend, an agent had just bought the animals even though they had no finish, will expect them to return less from slaughter than what I was going to pay for them for a further 3 months feeding. A fiver is big money to most agents :rolleyes:
    I rang the country looking for quotes for steers last week and couldn't get more than 3.90 base. Killed them Thursday. Then opened the journal to see I should have got 4.10 for them. Don't know where they are getting their quotes from. Pity it's not true.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement