Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beef price tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭Dickie10

got rid of the sucklers this winter and so glad i did , bought yearlings in april and they never looked back. i never had to go near them since the day they arrived they will get a dose for worms in a week with the rest of the group , the last 3 cows that were thin in the shed are going factory tomorrow. it will be a very long time before a suckler cow stands on these lands again.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Just off phone to the agent. 3.60 and thats not the end of the drop and who knows where it'll stop !! It's beyond depressing.
    Have 12 to go this time which is the same number as I sent this time last year. They went at 4.10 !! Only comfort is these should weigh and grade a bit better.
    Genuinely feel for the lads trying to make a living from beef.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

If the factory drop was reflected on the retail side farmers would have some understanding. They must be making huge profits at our expense!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,643 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Hear of more drops coming alright.

Half the number of cattle will be sold from here next year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

After the winter of 2013-14 a lot of finishers lost money and a good few got taken over as factory controlled feedlots. I think they are trying to squeeze farmers out of finishing altogether, drop the forward store price as low as possible and finish at least half the winter kill in factory controlled/owned feedlots. Just my humble 2 cents.

It's been impossible to get cattle killed all spring in the midlands. Larry has been trucking his own cattle from Louth as far south as Nenagh and Cahir, if we ring up looking for a quote or to get cattle booked in all we hear is ring us next week, but the lairage is always busy........

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,308 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

jntsnk wrote: »
    If the factory drop was reflected on the retail side farmers would have some understanding. They must be making huge profits at our expense!

Has the demand from consumers dropped? Is all this vegan and environmental accusations starting to take effect on the retail trade?
    Commodities and feedlots can be talked about till the cows come home (pun) but maybe there's something else beyond your control affecting price.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Fireside Solicitor

You'd prefer Creed and Co to come out with it straight and tell us they don't want it.

Instead of letting farmers literally die out.

Not a man under 50 is around here anymore during the week. None of the neighbours were bothered to protest yesterday as they all have jobs to go to.

If they gave a tax break for the destocking year wouldnt it give lads a chance to do something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,643 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I have to agree with Blue, the factories see this as the time to dominate cattle and agriculture at all stages and aspects.

With the never-ending **** up that is the Eurozone, they can borrow money for next to nothing and they can squeeze people out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭kk.man

Cattle kill is undeniable high.

Cattle have dropped in price.

Retailers have maintained the price per kegs.

There is no intervention.

Carcasses are not in cold storage because there is no cold stores.

It all adds up to farmers are being rode, plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,374 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Danzy wrote: »
    Hear of more drops coming alright.

Half the number of cattle will be sold from here next year.

It may tighten faster than we think local factory agents were looking for cattle that were booked for Friday and next week yesterday. Not many but it was strange to see if there was such a glut.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

It may tighten faster than we think local factory agents were looking for cattle that were booked for Friday and next week yesterday. Not many but it was strange to see if there was such a glut.

They’ll get plenty cattle cause of the 30 month rule. Puts the farmer in a corner, as usual!

Would there be a huge difference in demand from the factories in different localities or is it reasonable to assume one factories demand would be an nationwide indicator ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Dickie10 wrote: »
    got rid of the sucklers this winter and so glad i did , bought yearlings in april and they never looked back. i never had to go near them since the day they arrived they will get a dose for worms in a week with the rest of the group , the last 3 cows that were thin in the shed are going factory tomorrow. it will be a very long time before a suckler cow stands on these lands again.
    Did you but continental of dairy x stock? Your dead right btw. I have cut back by a third, I dunno why not more. It’s actually hard to pull the plug after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

They’ll get plenty cattle cause of the 30 month rule. Puts the farmer in a corner, as usual!

Going to let cattle go over 30 months next week. They are thriving away, have plenty of grass and are a long way from being over fat. What’s the worst that can happen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 blue.dub4sam

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Going to let cattle go over 30 months next week. They are thriving away, have plenty of grass and are a long way from being over fat. What’s the worst that can happen.

Traditionally the price pull that happens in August will soon be due. I honestly don't know what is going to happen but mine have grass so at least I'm not feeding meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

So it's €100 per animal over 12 months killed between July 18 and June 19 (inclusive) up to a max of 100 animals
    €40 per suckler cow that calved in 2018 up to a max of 40 cows
    Must be a 5% reduction in stocking rate in 2021 vs 2019
    Applicants must be in an environmental scheme or BDGP or quality assured to qualify.
    Dairy farmers excluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

kk.man wrote: »
    Cattle kill is undeniable high.

Cattle have dropped in price.

Retailers have maintained the price per kegs.

There is no intervention.

Carcasses are not in cold storage because there is no cold stores.

It all adds up to farmers are being rode, plain and simple.

Is it just me or is Phil Hogan look very happy these days. Just seeing him smiling a lot more in recent photos.

Heard that he got re-elected recently as well. What Mercorsur.
    Chickens are roosting now.
    Robert Emmet is turning in his grave.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,262 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Don't mention chickens, next thing we'll be getting chlorinated ones.

If you had his salary, you'd smile too. Maybe he is just happy in his personal life.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

Water John wrote: »
    Don't mention chickens, next thing we'll be getting chlorinated ones.

If you had his salary, you'd smile too. Maybe he is just happy in his personal life.

Money doesn't guarantee happiness. As it says in the Bible - give to Caesar, what belongs to Caesar.

tanko wrote: »
    So it's €100 per animal over 12 months killed between July 18 and June 19 (inclusive) up to a max of 100 animals
    Applicants must be in an environmental scheme or BDGP or quality assured to qualify.
    Dairy farmers excluded.

Where you see that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Where you see that?

It was on Agriland this morning

Dairy farmers excluded.

Thought it was between end of sept to start of May as in the FJ
    Would prefer July 18- June 19 though.

Thought it was between end of sept to start of May as in the FJ
    Would prefer July 18- June 19 though.

Ahh looked it up. The reference period for it will run from July 2018 to June 2019 (inclusive) to be compared with July 2020 to June 2021 (inclusive)
    This is the stocking rate comparison for the 5% reduction in nitrates

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭kk.man

Is it just me or is Phil Hogan look very happy these days. Just seeing him smiling a lot more in recent photos.

Heard that he got re-elected recently as well. What Mercorsur.
    Chickens are roosting now.
    Robert Emmet is turning in his grave.

I never thought Hogan would sell out Irish farmers. He was always a stalwart for agriculture. His Dail election base is made up of rural Kilkenny. If he was to run here again he wouldn't get elected. Alot of bad taste around here.

kk.man wrote: »
    I never thought Hogan would sell out Irish farmers. He was always a stalwart for agriculture. His Dail election base is made up of rural Kilkenny. If he was to run here again he wouldn't get elected. Alot of bad taste around here.

Can’t see how he could show his face in Kilkenny again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,262 ✭✭✭Robson99

I think this is the approach a lot more will take. Feck the 12 cent QA.
    1kg lwg a day at grass and in 3 weeks you would have pretty much have the 12 cent got back.
    Have 5 or 6 here that will be 30 months in Sept. Seriously thinking of letting them go till near xmas. Yes they will have to get meal in November and December but they will be much heavier.
    Whats the point in pushing them now and having to overpay for stores to eat the grass.
    IMO bord bia compliance farmers will soon be few and fr between

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Nobbies

Dairy farmers excluded.

No doubt if the above comes to pass, the input of the agricultural consultants association will be required to get a cent. so more than just the farmer to get a cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,374 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Dairy farmers excluded.

That will put a floor under store prices in the autumns. There will be lot of sad lad who rushed to slaughter cattle in May the 100 cattle max will hit them and as well they now need to keep there stocking rate up for 2019 so as to manage a 5% reduction in 2021. It will be managed by you nitrated levels but exporting slurry will be no good to you to get below it.
    Did not expect to but will make a few bob out of it a pity I did not slaughter a load or two in June however my stocking level will be high for the year so will not have to drop stocking levels in 2021 too much

There will be a lot of sad finishers who taught there was a bonanza to be had

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,262 ✭✭✭Robson99

Ahh looked it up. The reference period for it will run from July 2018 to June 2019 (inclusive) to be compared with July 2020 to June 2021 (inclusive)
    This is the stocking rate comparison for the 5% reduction in nitrates

What happens after June 2021 ? Can you up stocking rate again?

• Advertisement

Do you have to apply to get access to the fund or will the department just work of records showing who killed what over the timeframe in question ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement