Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beef price tracker

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

3.65 slaney. It’s no worse than the weather woes last year but another year working for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Willfarman wrote: »
    3.65 slaney. It’s no worse than the weather woes last year but another year working for nothing.

2 years ago was a very wet year & there was a cut, last year was the drought with lots of cows sent to the factory & there was a cut
    This year there’s a cut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

At this rate of going what’s a 500kg continental store going to be worth this back end? €900 is too much for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

Don't worry lads - 'Leo has our backs' :eek::eek:
    Fellas really need to think more carefully and ask the awkward/difficult questions when the 'candidates' arrive at the doors the next time (might be soon enough).
    No more smiles and tugging the forelock.

For example ask them "what are you going to do if I elect you to protect Irish farming". Note their response - they might even think you are intelligent. If they or their party (same difference) fail to deliver do not ever vote for them again.
    Automatically move onto another candidate/party.
    Eventually we will get a Government we deserve. It might take generations though to undo the damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭older by the day

Don't worry lads - 'Leo has our backs' :eek::eek:
    Fellas really need to think more carefully and ask the awkward/difficult questions when the 'candidates' arrive at the doors the next time (might be soon enough).
    No more smiles and tugging the forelock.

For example ask them "what are you going to do if I elect you to protect Irish farming". Note their response - they might even think you are intelligent. If they or their party (same difference) fail to deliver do not ever vote for them again.
    Automatically move onto another candidate/party.
    Eventually we will get a Government we deserve. It might take generations though to undo the damage.
    As said before what is the alternative. Mich Martin is as limp as a wet towel and no new FF leader jumps off the page to me. Sinn Fein are promising everything to everyone. They want a 9 Euro rise to social welfare. Labor, we're not in the public service. Bla bla bla. None of them really gives a f##k

• Advertisement

As said before what is the alternative. Mich Martin is as limp as a wet towel and no new FF leader jumps off the page to me. Sinn Fein are promising everything to everyone. They want a 9 Euro rise to social welfare. Labor, we're not in the public service. Bla bla bla. None of them really gives a f##k

They don't give a a f##k because the same people/parties get re-elected time after time - all they sell are lies. It's your doorstep they call to - take control of it and nail it in the ballot box. People have to wake up and demand accountability.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭K9

They don't give a a f##k because the same people/parties get re-elected time after time - all they sell are lies. It's your doorstep they call to - take control of it and nail it in the ballot box. People have to wake up and demand accountability.

What would you do as a politician to rise beef price now

I'm not a politician.

Like I said we need to ask the man/woman who calls to our door what they are going to do for our vote and hold them accountable.

The fortunes of farming are not driven by the harvest anymore -it's is in the hands of Phil Hogan and his like.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Olpiy

K9 wrote: »
    What would you do as a politician to rise beef price now

Getting that useless Competition Authority to actually do their job would be a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

We all know the beef drop is to put manners on the beef protesters on Wednesday in Dublin. Show them who’s boss type of thing. It’s time prime time on RTÉ does a programme on the beef industry and see all the non Irish beef being imported labeled as Irish. How one man can make millions in profits and the fools producing the product up to there necks in debt. It’s not far off the drugs trade from source to street type of thing . Someone is making money but it’s not the farmer. I’m not condoning growing cotton plants by the way .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭kk.man

Olpiy wrote: »
    Getting that useless Competition Authority to actually do their job would be a start.

Give them proper teeth to do their job. They are hampered by poor legislation.

The alternative for those of us with a sfp is pocket it. Run an extensive low cost low output system. Those without sfp just set the place or plant it. But Fock this advise of pushing for maximum output per acre to sort a beef price that’s below the price of variable costs never mind fixed costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,376 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I saw in the Journal latly that the goodman group made 170 million in profits last year. Was this for the ABP division only.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

The alternative for those of us with a sfp is pocket it. Run an extensive low cost low output system.

thats the sad reality facing us all. We have all burst our balls to improve, grow , try new things etc but no matter what we do or what way we turn we're like the turkeys waiting for christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 13,646 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The only job where driving efficiency and maximizing yield is a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

kk.man wrote: »
    Give them proper teeth to do their job. They are hampered by poor legislation.

They haven't the mindset either, there is no public service looking after the self employed, they've been told to investigate the processors many times only to come back with the conclusion that there's no cartel.
    Actually we've got away with this apathy for too long, we've got to the stage where there is nothing stopping processors offering €3/kg next week, (probably wouldn't get a reduction in supply even at that) there is no other sector that is satisfied to be paid at the customers whim, Imagine if you could specify a price if you're buying a car and how long the suppliers would survive,
    Wonder what it'd take even to get 20% of drystock farmers in Dublin next week, maybe €3/kg.
    Delighted to be away from it now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭older by the day

The alternative for those of us with a sfp is pocket it. Run an extensive low cost low output system. Those without sfp just set the place or plant it. But Fock this advise of pushing for maximum output per acre to sort a beef price that’s below the price of variable costs never mind fixed costs.

It makes sense. But in the real world Ireland is an expensive place to keep a house and rear a family. And it's only bachelor s who spend their pensions keeping their few sucklers that can keep the very stocking rate system going

I saw in the Journal latly that the goodman group made 170 million in profits last year. Was this for the ABP division only.

I doubt it was all from ABP. However looking at the IFJ it would say the majority of it was from the processing side. He has huge investment vehicles too which have shown a good return. It's not clear what ABP as an entity is making. Some of those off shore companies opperate as a 'bank' for others.
    It's a complex web but because he changed counties it has been exposed somwhat. I bet he is going mad over the timing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭148multi

I doubt it was all from ABP. However looking at the IFJ it would say the majority of it was from the processing side. He has huge investment vehicles too which have shown a good return. It's not clear what ABP as an entity is making. Some of those off shore companies opperate as a 'bank' for others.
    It's a complex web but because he changed counties it has been exposed somwhat. I bet he is going mad over the timing.

I understand that he is a large shareholder in the galway clinic and the hermitage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

3.60 quote for Wednesday. Balls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭locha

Steers?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Grueller

3.75 base for in spec heifers quoted here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭morphy87

If they are dropping this much so early what do ye reckon they will be the end of September? I thought 3.75 would be got at the fall a few months ago, the way it’s going it will be closer to 2.75 unfortunately,personally know two big winter finishers that are leaving sheds empty this winter

morphy87 wrote: »
    If they are dropping this much so early what do ye reckon they will be the end of September? I thought 3.75 would be got at the fall a few months ago, the way it’s going it will be closer to 2.75 unfortunately,personally know two big winter finishers that are leaving sheds empty this winter

The talk is to bottom out at 3.50.

I got 3.65 today which translated in 3.75 for my herefords and 3.77 for my AA. I was happy enough as they killed out well in a bad year price wise. They left me with an honest margin (didn't do the sums yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭morphy87

The talk is to bottom out at 3.50.

I got 3.65 today which translated in 3.75 for my herefords and 3.77 for my AA. I was happy enough as they killed out well in a bad year price wise. They left me with an honest margin (didn't do the sums yet).

When do you reckon they will hit 3 50? Where you’re cattle much heavier this year to last year dead weight? Or did you just sell them earlier?

morphy87 wrote: »
    When do you reckon they will hit 3 50? Where you’re cattle much heavier this year to last year dead weight? Or did you just sell them earlier?

Meant to say I got 3.87 on the AA bullocks.

I reckon when this beef bailout is paid over they will ride us completely. It will be be close to the SFP too, another excuse.

They gain weight quicker this year Because of the growth. Last year was a disaster for me with the drought I had to move cattle on fat score 3. I sold my cattle around the same time probably a little later this year Because I could afford to hold them longer. That load netted 1305 while the previous one netted 1337.

They were good cattle. A Larry goodman plant?

They were good cattle. A Larry goodman plant?

Yes and yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Hershall

3.60 for bks midlands and not quoting for next week..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Hershall wrote: »
    3.60 for bks midlands and not quoting for next week..........

Yeah heard 3.60 for next week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement