Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beef price tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

locha wrote: »
    Steers?

Ya. Two bullocks. One going over age the other over fat. Could send more but have time on my side and they are lean enough yet and thriving well. Hope things improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭johnnyw20

€3.60 looks to be the price for next week. I’m new enough to finishing and always thought that up to the end of July you would get around €4 a kg. What was the lowest price people have seen for beef in the last 10 odd years? I can’t see much hope for the rest of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

johnnyw20 wrote: »
    €3.60 looks to be the price for next week. I’m new enough to finishing and always thought that up to the end of July you would get around €4 a kg. What was the lowest price people have seen for beef in the last 10 odd years? I can’t see much hope for the rest of the year

yep an Ive a few ready next 2 weeks. pumped with nuts. Im sick of it now. a complete waste of time and money. Debating what do for winter. Just feed a few for payments and buy a few to eat the grass in summer to save me topping. Thats all it has become. It is now an expensive hobby

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭morphy87

Do ye reckon they might rise a bit late August September with the intentions that it might encourage some men to purchase cattle for winter finishing? Because the way it’s going none of these men are going to be around the ring to buy this autumn,and if there not what will the 500kg hex and aax make? The kill is still very high,it doesn’t seem to be slacking off at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

gerryirl wrote: »
    yep an Ive a few ready next 2 weeks. pumped with nuts. Im sick of it now. a complete waste of time and money. Debating what do for winter. Just feed a few for payments and buy a few to eat the grass in summer to save me topping. Thats all it has become. It is now an expensive hobby

Expensive hobby is right.
    Only a quarter the normal number of cattle bought here this year.
    I bought a new topper though.....it'll be cheaper than continental bullocks to keep the grass down 😉
    Tough times!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Good loser

morphy87 wrote: »
    Do ye reckon they might rise a bit late August September with the intentions that it might encourage some men to purchase cattle for winter finishing? Because the way it’s going none of these men are going to be around the ring to buy this autumn,and if there not what will the 500kg hex and aax make? The kill is still very high,it doesn’t seem to be slacking off at all

It must be because cattle are thriving well and coming in early.

Cattle are bound to get scarcer at some point, which should help prices recover.

Europe wide prices are well down - we are not exceptional.

Would expect the Swine Fever in the Far East to impact on prices before year end.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,374 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

According to Yesterdays FI the whole point of knocking sh!te out of the price is to make stores cheap at the back end. Processors know that a lot of winter finishers are p!ssed off. They are hoping that cheap stores will encourage lads to gamble again. Ration prices should be cheap as well. Not only do they want the big fella but also they want the small lad to feel he has no choice but to finish them.

A poor summer price will also leave the summer grazer less able to complete with the winter finisher on store price. I have been thinking numbers would dry up at some stage but now I cannot see it happen before Mid/Late Autumn. Lads will be caught by the 30 month rule from now on and will be killing on age to get QA. Lads will not be around the ring if cattle are expensive they might gamble if they are cheap especially if the processors do as they done in March and start throwing out a few fancy contracts to a few lads for January/February cattle. Lads will fill the sheds to get rode again.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

According to Yesterdays FI the whole point of knocking sh!te out of the price is to make stores cheap at the back end. Processors know that a lot of winter finishers are p!ssed off. They are hoping that cheap stores will encourage lads to gamble again. Ration prices should be cheap as well. Not only do they want the big fella but also they want the small lad to feel he has no choice but to finish them.

A poor summer price will also leave the summer grazer less able to complete with the winter finisher on store price. I have been thinking numbers would dry up at some stage but now I cannot see it happen before Mid/Late Autumn. Lads will be caught by the 30 month rule from now on and will be killing on age to get QA. Lads will not be around the ring if cattle are expensive they might gamble if they are cheap especially if the processors do as they done in March and start throwing out a few fancy contracts to a few lads for January/February cattle. Lads will fill the sheds to get rode again.

I’ve cattle fit to go I’m not giving them away at 3.60 so let them weight over 400kgs dw in a couple of months

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭Dunedin

I says wrote: »
    I’ve cattle fit to go I’m not giving them away at 3.60 so let them weight over 400kgs dw in a couple of months

But watch the fat scores if you intend to wait that long as the cuts might be a lot more severe than any potential gain via weight

• Registered Users Posts: 11,149 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Good loser wrote: »
    It must be because cattle are thriving well and coming in early.

Cattle are bound to get scarcer at some point, which should help prices recover.

Europe wide prices are well down - we are not exceptional.

Would expect the Swine Fever in the Far East to impact on prices before year end.

That’s the only chink of light I see for beef prices

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Fireside Solicitor

Agent for Slaney talking 3.55 next week but delays. Reckons it'll be 3.50 by end of month.

Trying elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

These year round high kills are the new reality now that the consequences of the massive increase in the dairy herd kicks in since the abolition of milk quotas.
    I don't see it slacking off at all, probably increasing more like until a big reduction in the suckler herd takes place.
    Bad weanling prices in the autumn will be the last straw for a lot of lads with suckers if it happens.
    What is the minimum stocking rate to get the ANC payment??
    It's a figure I'll be paying a lot of heed to from now on.

.15 LU per hectare to get the ANC.

Cattle thriving well this year. Going to let them go heavy into August and take my chances.

Time then to stand back and see how live prices go in the autumn.

Can you see strong weanling and lighter store prices come October?

They are starting to want cattle booked in 2 weeks in advance. This can mean one if two things. Either they are struggling to sell the beef and numbers being killed are too high or they are expecting that the numbers coming in are slowing down. They usually do this trick in the Autumn to stretch the kill out nearer Christmas and they did it this March/April buy slowing the excessively high bull kill.

It may be a chink of light but it may also be that there seems to be high numbers right across Europe

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Notoldorwise

Brought 8 AAX to the factory July 2 2018. Received €4.04/kg.
    Brought 10 AAX that were finished same as last year to the factory July 8 2019. Received €3.47/kg....

Lot of meat on big promotion in the supermarkets at the minute.

If I wasn't too auld to do something else I definitely wouldn't be sticking at this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

No, it's hard to see that at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

tanko wrote: »
    These year round high kills are the new reality now that the consequences of the massive increase in the dairy herd kicks in since the abolition of milk quotas.
    I don't see it slacking off at all, probably increasing more like until a big reduction in the suckler herd takes place.
    Bad weanling prices in the autumn will be the last straw for a lot of lads with suckers if it happens.
    Same here , my bull got injured and not being replaced , what’s empty come scan time fall of year will be fattened up and not replaced and what’s left to calf won’t see a bull next season and they will go at weanling , few dry stock just to keep payments from now on , good few dairy lads around always looking for grass so hopefully sell silage standing

tanko wrote: »

It really a matter of cutting costs to the bone to stay in business. forget about Teagasc of more production/HA. Forget about chasing your tail. Stock at what is viable to carry on your land. Unless you are going to plant it most other option at present are loss making. Let your cattle in the one bunch and move them across the farm. Spread a bit of Fertlizer for early growth. Cut your silage in one cut if possible in Late May/Early June. Forget about age and QA buy value carry them to finish. Maximise your GLAS/REPS, ANC and Discussion group. If there is any quite poor land on the place plant it. Silage and minerals over the winter will carry most stores. If cattle numbers drop producing excess silage or Hay will be loss making as well. For every cow on the place you should be able to carry 0.7-1.5 Beef System units.

What a BS unit, it depend on your system. In Calf to Beef it would be a calf and a yearling and a finishing bullock if you went that direction. If you decide to buy as yearlings it a yearling and a finishing animal etc. You nay decide to go with a bunch of cull cows or heifer rearing. but try to match your stocking rate to your farm with some fertlizer and minimum ration or nuts.
    Brought 8 AAX to the factory July 2 2018. Received €4.04/kg.
    Brought 10 AAX that were finished same as last year to the factory July 8 2019. Received €3.47/kg....

I expect that this years ones graded poorer as well. Early July last year the base was hitting 4/kg at on Monday they were 3.60 or 3.65/kg. at 3.47/kg they look as if they graded a sub grade or two down.
    Same here , my bull got injured and not being replaced , what’s empty come scan time fall of year will be fattened up and not replaced and what’s left to calf won’t see a bull next season and they will go at weanling , few dry stock just to keep payments from now on , good few dairy lads around always looking for grass so hopefully sell silage standing

Only issue about selling silage standing is replacing the nutrients used. 5 bags of 18-6-12/acre is 90 euro/acre approx

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

It really a matter of cutting costs to the bone to stay in business. forget about Teagasc of more production/HA. Forget about chasing your tail. Stock at what is viable to carry on your land. Unless you are going to plant it most other option at present are loss making. Let your cattle in the one bunch and move them across the farm. Spread a bit of Fertlizer for early growth. Cut your silage in one cut if possible in Late May/Early June. Forget about age and QA buy value carry them to finish. Maximise your GLAS/REPS, ANC and Discussion group. If there is any quite poor land on the place plant it. Silage and minerals over the winter will carry most stores. If cattle numbers drop producing excess silage or Hay will be loss making as well. For every cow on the place you should be able to carry 0.7-1.5 Beef System units.

What a BS unit, it depend on your system. In Calf to Beef it would be a calf and a yearling and a finishing bullock if you went that direction. If you decide to buy as yearlings it a yearling and a finishing animal etc. You nay decide to go with a bunch of cull cows or heifer rearing. but try to match your stocking rate to your farm with some fertlizer and minimum ration or nuts.

I expect that this years ones graded poorer as well. Early July last year the base was hitting 4/kg at on Monday they were 3.60 or 3.65/kg. at 3.47/kg they look as if they graded a sub grade or two down.

Only issue about selling silage standing is replacing the nutrients used. 5 bags of 18-6-12/acre is 90 euro/acre approx
    Might not happen that way bass , but one thing for sure is the sucklers are getting the road ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭270WIN

They are starting to want cattle booked in 2 weeks in advance. This can mean one if two things. Either they are struggling to sell the beef and numbers being killed are too high or they are expecting that the numbers coming in are slowing down. They usually do this trick in the Autumn to stretch the kill out nearer Christmas and they did it this March/April buy slowing the excessively high bull kill.

It may be a chink of light but it may also be that there seems to be high numbers right across Europe

The factories down here (mid west) are on a 2 week waiting list for the last 3 or 4 months.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

This is already happening to an extent in my opinion, there's lots of lads currently banking on buying weanlings and selling stores. It's a high risk system imo, there's far more customers for a weanling than a forward store in the marts I attend. When you see a nice weanling circa 300kg at €2.50kg and upwards versus the same 2 year old bullock perhaps struggling to break the €2kg it's not hard to make up the margin. I'm not begrudging the suckler producer anything but I don't know if the man selling the stores is any better off although his labour input should be significantly lower.

It's all a pyramid scheme as far as I'm concerned and once we keep fighting amoung ourselves the real bad guy's continue to bleed us dry. The suckler game is over imo and I don't think rearing dairy X cattle will be our salvation either despite it's constant suggestion by the powers that be. I've said it before that a suckler reduction payment is our best hope of at least reducing the losses incurred annually across the sector. There's twice too much cattle available at the minute and no amount of protesting will change this fact as much as I hate to admit it, supply and demand rules all markets be it beef or ballpoint pens if it's plentiful it's cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

i was a weanling buying man but Im not buying them this year. Too much cost to be added on the buying price. Half them are not dosed. I do them with IBR and RSP . dose them, blackleg, squeeze them . Then probably have to skull a few in spring because some eegit cut the ends of the horns. It all adds up and then mind them like children for a month when they arrive. Not worth it

Might not happen that way bass , but one thing for sure is the sucklers are getting the road ,

I think any one that has sucklers should consider waiting to see if a reduction scheme comes in in the next 6-12 months. They should even back the ICSA campaign for it. 100/cow for 4-5 years would take the sting out of it and give you a start at whatever you decide to trade into. I imagine you be banging an open door. There should be a push in the budget for it

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭kk.man

In spec, all the boxes ticked cattle are scare enough. I got that impression when I booked in my cattle and this was confirmed to me by a large finisher. What's killing the job is the diary cross cattle and thus dragging down the price of the good ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭K9

There's twice too much cattle available at the minute and no amount of protesting will change this fact as much as I hate to admit it, supply and demand rules all markets be it beef or ballpoint pens if it's plentiful it's cheap.

That’s it in a nutshell and no point looking for increased subsidises for suckler beef when the market is giving such a poor return. If they want it let them pay for it

kk.man wrote: »
    In spec, all the boxes ticked cattle are scare enough. I got that impression when I booked in my cattle and this was confirmed to me by a large finisher. What's killing the job is the diary cross cattle and thus dragging down the price of the good ones.

Most Dairy/Beef crosses will grade O=/O+ if you look at the kill figures young bulls are 550 ahead of last year and heifers( which come fit faster than bullocks) are 1500 ahead of last year. There are 400 extra bulls this either suggests lots of lads are slaughtering breeding bulls or more likely that there are over 24 month bulls still in the system. Steers are ahead by 200 and cows are back by 1200.

Young Bull kill is ahead by 15K year on year which suggests that a lot cattle were killed as young bulls last winter and the kill is still remaining strong.

Looking at it there are some positives. Cow kill is going down and heifer kill is 27K ahea of this time last year.If each of the sectors dropped by 4-600 it would be a different show

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭morphy87

Most Dairy/Beef crosses will grade O=/O+ if you look at the kill figures young bulls are 550 ahead of last year and heifers( which come fit faster than bullocks) are 1500 ahead of last year. There are 400 extra bulls this either suggests lots of lads are slaughtering breeding bulls or more likely that there are over 24 month bulls still in the system. Steers are ahead by 200 and cows are back by 1200.

Young Bull kill is ahead by 15K year on year which suggests that a lot cattle were killed as young bulls last winter and the kill is still remaining strong.

Looking at it there are some positives. Cow kill is going down and heifer kill is 27K ahea of this time last year.If each of the sectors dropped by 4-600 it would be a different show

So you reckon things numbers could tighten up? And if so when do you think? I know of a few lads that decided to finish out of the shed this year instead of letting the cattle out on grass to finish so maybe things will turn

• Advertisement

So you reckon things numbers could tighten up? And if so when do you think? I know of a few lads that decided to finish out of the shed this year instead of letting the cattle out on grass to finish so maybe things will turn

The numbers say they should but the kill has stayed stubbornly high. Now the processor's put it out that they would because of cattle for July. Some lads really bit onto it. I know there may have been some contract's handed out to them. If you look at the average prices paid on agriland some ABP and Dawn plants are averaging 8-10 c above what they should be especially as they seem to be the ones holding the toughest line on price to ordinary suppliers and dropping it fastest to locals suppliers.

Slava Ukrainii

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement