Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beef price tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭stand on!!

Do you find cattle thriving well at grass this year, everyone I talk to around here think not like myself and an cattle killed off grass have killed very very poorly, main reason why have allot of animal indoors. Costing a euro more indoors but defiantly doing 0.25kgs cold per head extra which covers cost. This a funny old year still, and now facing August grass growth it doesnt bold well for the back end.[/quote]

Looked at bullocks for a man at the weekend thought he would have a load for this week only 2 out of 28 cattle fit I think the extra month in the shed has cattle gone harder flesh off grass

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

I was looking at the kill figures last week in the comic. We have killed 70K more cattle than this time last year. My understanding is that there were 100K more cattle in the kill group for this year from the CMS only 30K extra left. Could we see cattle get very tight in the next 4-10 weeks.

Looking at stores on DD a lot of year and a half Friesians only hitting 350kgs this will not bode well for a glut of young cattle to kill before Christmas. If cattle are killing lighter this will effect the trade as well 20Kgs/head DW is equivalent to between over 5K head. Factory's have managed to pull prices by being united as there was a few extra cattle if they over contract to retailers then they will be forced to pay again or if the retailers need the cattle for the British market.

Look at the Irish Butcher trade there is a lot of under finished young male cattle being killed for the trade as there is a huge gape between AA+HE heifers and yearling Friesian bulls.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭severeoversteer

stand on!! wrote: »
    Do you find cattle thriving well at grass this year, everyone I talk to around here think not like myself and an cattle killed off grass have killed very very poorly, main reason why have allot of animal indoors. Costing a euro more indoors but defiantly doing 0.25kgs cold per head extra which covers cost. This a funny old year still, and now facing August grass growth it doesnt bold well for the back end.

Looked at bullocks for a man at the weekend thought he would have a load for this week only 2 out of 28 cattle fit I think the extra month in the shed has cattle gone harder flesh off grass[/QUOTE]

I had one or two bullocks put on 2.5kg per day in the last 40 days of finishing there 2 weeks ago and the same animal put on 1.9kg per day in the 40 days prior to that, killed that batch there two weeks ago before the **** hit the fan :D

the mills are trying to empty the stores of all the ****e they were putting in the nuts during last winter in preparation for the new cheap grain. hence cattle didnt thrive as good as normal for a lot of people.. also last years grain wasn't the best either and that's still in the nuts/ration at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

the mills are trying to empty the stores of all the ****e they were putting in the nuts during last winter in preparation for the new cheap grain. hence cattle didnt thrive as good as normal for a lot of people.. also last years grain wasn't the best either and that's still in the nuts/ration at the moment

I dont agree, yes there was some poor native cereals in rations but last years maize meal (fed for last 9 months) was some of the best I have ever fed as quality was second to none.

I dont agree, yes there was some poor native cereals in rations but last years maize meal (fed for last 9 months) was some of the best I have ever fed as quality was second to none.

ahh yes but that's straight maize meal, I read meal dockets with names of imported poor feed that were high up on the list than usual just to cut costs on the mills part,, sure a nut for 320 a tonne would only be costing mill what ?
    270 a tonne to make ? then take away processing , pelleting, minerals, the raw ingredients must have been terrible

quality ingredients were scarce in what the mills were putting in nuts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭dryan

quoted 4.15 un the grid in moyvalley yesterday.

My guess is that farmers may be forced to move on stock if land starts to get wet with the weather we are having,

http://www.grennans.ie/performance-trial/

what do ye think of the weights achieved by some of these bulls,

the heaviest one was only 11 months when killed by my calculations

who would kill bull under 500kilos in the first place. its an advertisement so I would take absolutely no notice. I could easily skew the results on my cattle so presume all guys do this. What happens on your own farm is where the buck stops.

Anyway prices lower again for the coming week?? I havnt asked or heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

The daily gain figures are impressive but why such a short finishing period?
    I know it was a trial but why not go further to see would they maintain that gain.
    Also how much per tonne is that stuff?

The daily gain figures are impressive but why such a short finishing period?
    I know it was a trial but why not go further to see would they maintain that gain.
    Also how much per tonne is that stuff?

i dont know how much it is maybe someone knows?

its a short period alright, id imagine you'd have kept them till 12 or 14 months at that anyway

• Advertisement

i dont know how much it is maybe someone knows?

its a short period alright, id imagine you'd have kept them till 12 or 14 months at that anyway

42 days of a finishing period:rolleyes:, considering they would take the first 10 days settling into there new diet and do little gain during this period in real terms they were only feeding for 35ish days. not much of a trial in that period. farmer must have had a few creditors calling the end of June that year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

They are all born in 2005 so presumably killed in 2006

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭nashmach

who would kill bull under 500kilos in the first place. its an advertisement so I would take absolutely no notice. I could easily skew the results on my cattle so presume all guys do this. What happens on your own farm is where the buck stops.

Anyway prices lower again for the coming week?? I havnt asked or heard.

Another 5 cent drop, to 4.10 Bob as of Saturday morning but didn't ask much as nothing to go now.

nashmach wrote: »
    Another 5 cent drop, to 4.10 Bob as of Saturday morning but didn't ask much as nothing to go now.

They will be under €4 so quicker than I taught. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭tim04750

He sold the sucklers and went dairy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Marooned75

4.15 today plus 12cent QA in the midlands today

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Had an agent ringing me about cows today. I got such a land I forgot to ask him about a price:o.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Some fella called into me this evening from the midlands , he was looking for weanlins . I thought the local lads were poor mouths but this lad took the biscuit altogether , I nearly pit 50 in his pocket to make sure he had enough diesel to get home with

Had an agent ringing me about cows today. I got such a land I forgot to ask him about a price:o.

Supplies must be tightening then :confused: or using cows to keep a ceiling on steers/heifers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Best quote I got today for cows 3.30 0s and 3.10 for p+

• Advertisement

Supplies must be tightening then :confused: or using cows to keep a ceiling on steers/heifers.

This often happens the factory's get a flush of cattle in July and August supplies tightens. The CMS figure showed 100K extra cattle for this year, 70K are already killed. This means that there are 30K cattle extra in the system most are Friesians I would imagine, bulls are out of flavour so supplies could be tight until October. After that unless a lot of 2012 cattle come on stream before Christmas there could be a good trade until the end of the year. However I have been wrong before.

Factory's are depending on farmers trying to finish cattle out of sheds due to poor spring. This could have been accounted for the flush of cattle in July however there could be some in the spring. Cows could be a good trade until October I wish I had a bunch of 2year old bulls at grass but chickened out this year and fed them to finish in May.

Bob will give the low down in a while.

This often happens the factory's get a flush of cattle in July and August supplies tightens. The CMS figure showed 100K extra cattle for this year, 70K are already killed. This means that there are 30K cattle extra in the system most are Friesians I would imagine, bulls are out of flavour so supplies could be tight until October. After that unless a lot of 2012 cattle come on stream before Christmas there could be a good trade until the end of the year. However I have been wrong before.

Factory's are depending on farmers trying to finish cattle out of sheds due to poor spring. This could have been accounted for the flush of cattle in July however there could be some in the spring. Cows could be a good trade until October I wish I had a bunch of 2year old bulls at grass but chickened out this year and fed them to finish in May.

Bob will give the low down in a while.

there has being a bit of movement in the last week, allot of cattle for slaughter were coming from a few sources. Cant see use going back to the dizzy heights of 2 months ago but trade firming some bit. Bit of a pick up in numbers at the marts with price back to realistic levels given the current beef price. Allot of cattle indoors finishing with finishers given the year which will be available to meat plants ongoing. Can see good stores getting very expensive in the back end, but with the dead price not going bananas

there has being a bit of movement in the last week, allot of cattle for slaughter were coming from a few sources. Cant see use going back to the dizzy heights of 2 months ago but trade firming some bit. Bit of a pick up in numbers at the marts with price back to realistic levels given the current beef price. Allot of cattle indoors finishing with finishers given the year which will be available to meat plants ongoing. Can see good stores getting very expensive in the back end, but with the dead price not going bananas

I do not see a huge price rise but a base of 4.25 may be attainable from now to mid September then a collapse to as low as the factory's can manage. Winter may be a disaster as cattle numbers could rise sharply.

things are getting tight, make sure you are strapped for the ride (or to get ridden as what usually happens:D)

things are getting tight, make sure you are strapped for the ride (or to get ridden as what usually happens:D)

Won't go near the four euro now Bob!

Stable for this week??

Won't go near the four euro now Bob!

Stable for this week??

cattle criss crossing the country which is always a good sign. I was ten cents out, not too wrong

cattle criss crossing the country which is always a good sign. I was ten cents out, not too wrong

2.5% is within the boundaries of error I suppose :)

2.5% is within the boundaries of error I suppose :)

I will be delighted to be proved wrong on this issue. Should that not be around 2.4% :). Not bad for free worthless advice. Your commission for professional advice is probably way more:D

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

Still only quoted €4.15 for bullocks this week which is the same as last Friday week so I am not getting too excited

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Marooned75

A well known co put on some show at tullamore yesterday with 2 bullocks there idea put in shed on 20 sept feed 10 kgs meal for 100 days should kill out about 390 kgs but they could nt give an idea on price per kg at end talk about inspiring confidence.Some return on a ton of meal in December.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement