Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beef price tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

€4.50 for bullocks tomorrow and €4.80 for heifers. Just sending a few little butty lads but if I get on ok I might kill 12 or 14 in the next week or two

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭severeoversteer

are they QA bullocks, r grades ya? were you given prices for selling by the grade ?

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭locky76

I got €4.45 for bullocks & €4.65 for heifers on Monday, the QA was another 12c on too of this...

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

€4.50 for bullocks on friday. €4.55 was available but they don't want them over 420 kg and I expect half of mine to be 440kg. €4.80 base for the heifers but they are all underage and QA so I would expect them to be €4.92+

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

looks like a slow week on the beef front. anyone shifting cows at the moment, seems no interest in the market for them

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

looks like a slow week on the beef front. anyone shifting cows at the moment, seems no interest in the market for them

What I heard is factories are thinking/hoping that grass fed heifers are available, how much did cows drop this week?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭mf240

cows always drop at this time of the year as the flies are coming out an mastitis in dry cows is never far behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭stand on!!

Killed a few in the last two weeks. Looks like a pull coming in the next while. The cow men around here have big numbers moved in the last few weeks.

funny, no problem getting P and O cows sold for okay money but hard to shift R and U cows for what there worth. some home will be found for them in the next few days as I need to make space

I've an R grade cow going- €3.80 is the best I can do...
    €4.45 for QA bullocks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭stand on!!

locky76 wrote: »
    I've an R grade cow going- €3.80 is the best I can do...
    €4.45 for QA bullocks

4.10 still to be got for R grades if you travel, have heard 3.85 being quoted locally .

stand on!! wrote: »
    4.10 still to be got for R grades if you travel, have heard 3.85 being quoted locally .
    can you be more specific???:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

4.30 for an overage whitehead heifer. O=4= Moyvally.

was sure she would be an O=5

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

There's a graphic in the comic this week showing global steer prices and it's a bit scary. A couple of years ago S.American prices were within 50c/kg of here now they are less than half our price. What's underpinning our beef price and what would it take to remove the underpinning? And who's gonna be left holding the bag if the underpinning is removed? I'm channeling my inner bob c here but those questions need answering.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

There's a graphic in the comic this week showing global steer prices and it's a bit scary. A couple of years ago S.American prices were within 50c/kg of here now they are less than half our price. What's underpinning our beef price and what would it take to remove the underpinning? And who's gonna be left holding the bag if the underpinning is removed? I'm channeling my inner bob c here but those questions need answering.

Part of the reason for their price drop is because they can't sell their beef (or at least only a very small tonnage) to EU anymore.

Anyone got quotes for cows next week?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Part of the reason for their price drop is because they can't sell their beef (or at least only a very small tonnage) to EU anymore.

Anyone got quotes for cows next week?

Talking about P and O cows, allot of the larger numbers of cows are sold to sit so the cow trade is only going one way and thats to €3 and something ish a kilo. I was of the opinion a month ago that O cows would go to €3.30 but this price is probably too optimistic. O cows back nearly €150 a head in the last few weeks. Mart trade has held up which is the norm and will stay this way for a few weeks.

we will be left holding the baby:). Im not allowed to talk doom and gloom on here (get reported to the mods for it) but your quite right in your commentary. things havnt gotten back to normal as of yet but there will be plenty of arses on the road when normal service resumes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Dunedin

prices seem be nearly in free fall mode at present.

anyone have any prices for bullocks or cows this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

Dunedin wrote: »

Cows
    Os 3.40
    Ps 3.25

Non QA

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Dunedin wrote: »

The factory's quoting 4.20 of a base for bullocks they found it hard enough to get cattle last week at 4.30. They may be killing the last of the contracted cattle that they have on hand or are getting rid of anythink that is in there feedlots. At 4.20 I would be inclined to let cattle there unless you are losing the QA cannot see them being able to buy much cattle at that. Maybe I am wrong have being in the past Bob is the expert.

• Advertisement

The factory's quoting 4.20 of a base for bullocks they found it hard enough to get cattle last week at 4.30. They may be killing the last of the contracted cattle that they have on hand or are getting rid of anythink that is in there feedlots. At 4.20 I would be inclined to let cattle there unless you are losing the QA cannot see them being able to buy much cattle at that. Maybe I am wrong have being in the past Bob is the expert.

Thankfully Im usually wrong aswell, but I think they will be able to buy plenty of cattle at that price, only thing that comes into it is people that dont have to sell cattle will be harder to buy cattle from. I would think 50% of the weekly kill will still come each week irrespective of the price as feeders have to sell to keep buying. I was given out too, a couple of times last week for slaughtering more cattle than I had penciled down. there were large kills in local plants last week. Allot more grain must have being feed as most of the cattle presented for slaughter have good condition. Except some of the fresian bulls that are ending up as steakers, at what must be a cow price or less. I still see the boys going under €4 for the backend. heifers are already back 40c/kg from the top of the market. For the last month it hasnt being worth waiting for animals to be QA. All in all price to stagnate for a few weeks -->

Thankfully Im usually wrong aswell, but I think they will be able to buy plenty of cattle at that price, only thing that comes into it is people that dont have to sell cattle will be harder to buy cattle from. I would think 50% of the weekly kill will still come each week irrespective of the price as feeders have to sell to keep buying. I was given out too, a couple of times last week for slaughtering more cattle than I had penciled down. there were large kills in local plants last week. Allot more grain must have being feed as most of the cattle presented for slaughter have good condition. Except some of the fresian bulls that are ending up as steakers, at what must be a cow price or less. I still see the boys going under €4 for the backend. heifers are already back 40c/kg from the top of the market. For the last month it hasnt being worth waiting for animals to be QA. All in all price to stagnate for a few weeks -->

Agree with you Bob factory's have pulled hard over last 3 weeks however at present they do not seems to be getting a glut and you have confirmed as I expected that most cattle are out of feedlots or heavily fed cattle. I defnitly would be movung QA cattle goung over 30 months but while late sept-dec may well be a disaster I cannot see a glut of finished cattle over the next 6 weeks.

Like you bob I am often wrong the factory's have the advantage of total access to the CMS and can see the amount of cattle of any age and can make calculate a guess on that basis. However they tend as well to try to panic producers into a selling frenzy.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭severeoversteer

. Allot more grain must have being feed as most of the cattle presented for slaughter have good condition. -->

they are pulling on over 400kg carcase aswell , the factory im dealing with this week is anyway but still paying nice price:D

• Registered Users Posts: 47 yupyupyup

being feeding 3 young cows and 2 heifers for the past 7 weeks, horribly disheartening to see the cow price dropping so much. R's are making about 3.50/kg at the mo. The boss man wants to hold them for another 3 weeks in the hope they'll pick up again, i'd be inclined to shift them now they've reached marketable flesh.

yupyupyup wrote: »
    being feeding 3 young cows and 2 heifers for the past 7 weeks, horribly disheartening to see the cow price dropping so much. R's are making about 3.50/kg at the mo. The boss man wants to hold them for another 3 weeks in the hope they'll pick up again, i'd be inclined to shift them now they've reached marketable flesh.

If you are feeding 3kgs on grass it might be worth a gamble with the heifers there may be a shortage of cattle the middle/end August however if you are feeding inside sell.

back another 10c and still plenty being slaughtered. Beef is now back 50c in 5 weeks maybe a little longer, €150 - €200 a head on most animals. Hope everyone has this factored in, unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

back another 10c and still plenty being slaughtered. Beef is now back 50c in 5 weeks maybe a little longer, €150 - €200 a head on most animals. Hope everyone has this factored in, unlikely.

Forever the bearer of good news ;):D

Beef sales have fallen through the floor due to hot weather I do not think people took out the barbque's this year it was too hot.

The expensive meal fed 4 to 8 weeks ago now looks like being for nothing as is always the case. When grain is expensive shovel it into cattle, when its cheap dont feed a grain

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dampintheattic

Beef sales have fallen through the floor due to hot weather I do not think people took out the barbque's this year it was too hot.

Whelan had so many barbeques, she kept Goodman running 24/7.
    Kept Bulmers, on the go as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement