Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beef price tracker

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

20silkcut wrote: »
    Why won't they take cattle ffs?

Will it not be patently clear to these numbskulls that what they are taking in is not a horse?

Do they need some pen pusher to sign a piece of paper certifying that the animal is bovine? Christ above.
    Good to see the boat going to libya yesterday, seems the protestors got a bum steer and only got there when the boat had sailed. John Bryan said there was a lot of good blues on it and very few friesians......seems the blues were bought for Italy and there was no money to pay for them so they had to go for Libya

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

rancher wrote: »
    Good to see the boat going to libya yesterday, seems the protestors got a bum steer and only got there when the boat had sailed. John Bryan said there was a lot of good blues on it and very few friesians......seems the blues were bought for Italy and there was no money to pay for them so they had to go for Libya

Yeah but the next boat has a lot of friesians lined up Had 2 guys in my yard yesterday looking at the cattle. I ran them fairly fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

Will it not be patently clear to these numbskulls that what they are taking in is not a horse?

Do they need some pen pusher to sign a piece of paper certifying that the animal is bovine? Christ above.

this is all down to the fact that any meat now must be what it says on the packet. I say a lot of supermarket's are putting pressure on to force factories to kill everything to there specification. Alot of meat is boned cutup and package for some supermakets and if it is meant to be quality assured then they may want to be sure that some of it is not non QA cattle. I know that no factory if they were packing say QA mince would not allow non quality assure meat into the mincer:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

dzer2 wrote: »
    Yeah but the next boat has a lot of friesians lined up Had 2 guys in my yard yesterday looking at the cattle. I ran them fairly fast.

Not happy with the price or what

rancher wrote: »
    Not happy with the price or what

Didnt ask them in and didnt know them. Parked at the parlour and just walked in cheeky feckers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

dzer2 wrote: »
    Didnt ask them in and didnt know them. Parked at the parlour and just walked in cheeky feckers.

Was one of them Paulo Tullio by any chance?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

this is all down to the fact that any meat now must be what it says on the packet. I say a lot of supermarket's are putting pressure on to force factories to kill everything to there specification. Alot of meat is boned cutup and package for some supermakets and if it is meant to be quality assured then they may want to be sure that some of it is not non QA cattle. I know that no factory if they were packing say QA mince would not allow non quality assure meat into the mincer:rolleyes::rolleyes:

F**K'em the cheeky bastards. They have bought on price and price alone for years. There was a programme on C4 about 6 months ago with one of those celebrity farmers trying to get Tescos interested in pink veal products. They let the cameras into the sales pitch meeting and the Tesco buyers didn't give a damn about anything other than price. "We can get this for that price, and that product for this price. The consumers wants, the consumer is only willing....." was their answer to anything the guy said in his sales pitch about the quality of what he was selling. Wed now know they were sourcing sh*t and selling it and IMO they were more than a little aware of the difficulties their suppliers would have in meeting the price points they were setting.

Now they want to get up on their high horse and dictate terms to the only element of the food supply chain with clean hands on this one. No F**KIN way lads. It's time for the IFA to come up with a list of new standards that everyone else in the chain will need to comply with in order to sell our product branded as Irish. Not least of which being that no ingredient in any food product that bears an Irish beef logo has been sourced outside this country. We should be demanding access for our QC people to everyone elses facilities paid for by them as a minimum. And when they have that in place and working to our satisfaction we'll talk to them about any new terms they might want to discuss. This is a prime example of not wasting a good crisis and we'll be the bigger fools if we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

I have a red limousin bull, 16 months old.He's an R+/U- 2+/3- about 340 - 350 kgs carcase weight. I'd like to send him to the mart but he's slightly crazy!! Any ideas what he'd make in a factory?

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

tanko wrote: »
    I have a red limousin bull, 16 months old.He's an R+/U- 2+/3- about 340 - 350 kgs carcase weight. I'd like to send him to the mart but he's slightly crazy!! Any ideas what he'd make in a factory?

Being conservative, he would make 1420 clear after factory fees.
    340kg x 4.25 (R+) = 1445

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭locky76

Why wouldn't you go for the quality assurance, it's not much more than is normally being done, it's a free annual audit on the place and it's worth an extra ~€20 per animal...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

18mtholdheifer.jpg

Sent this girl to meet her maker the other night. The plan was to breed her, but she was a crack pot so 'You are the weakest link... bye bye'

Pictured [EMAIL="here@18mths"]here@18mths[/EMAIL], she was killed @24mths.

She graded R= 2+ I'm not the May west re grades, so some of ye might be able to enlighten me if this is good, bad or otherwise.

4.45c/kg + 0.06c/kg bonus she made €1460

Muckit wrote: »
    18mtholdheifer.jpg

Sent this girl to meet her maker the other night. The plan was to breed her, but she was a crack pot so 'You are the weakest link... bye bye'

Pictured here@18mths, she was killed @24mths.

She graded R= 2+ I'm not the May west re grades, so some of ye might be able to enlighten me if this is good, bad or otherwise.

4.45c/kg + 0.06c/kg bonus she made €1460

R= is a good grade considering that she killed fat score 2+ . This is about the minimum fat score that factories want. Ideally the want cattle 3+ or into 4- fat score. However this heifer would need another 50kgs dead weight to get to that.

From the figures she killed about 325kgs(I am allowing 10 euro killing fees I presume you stopped the IFA deduction) I would think from her grade that she killed about 52% so she was about 625kgs. She was an ideal heifer ( however with only one not possible) to go to grass for 10 weeks and then kill. she would feed into an R+ 3= by then and kill about 365 kgs with a bit of meal. If you left hen until July she might finish into an U- grade and start to go over fat killing north of 400kgs.

By the look of it she grew a lot since the photo I migh be way out we will wait for Bobs opinion he speclises in these heifers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Thats a fine feeding animal Muckit, she looks to have great potential from your picture anyway. What deadweight was she, top price paid for her aswell. buyers not too plentiful for those big type cattle atm. Many buyers seem to be gone on "holidays":rolleyes:

Thats a fine feeding animal Muckit, she looks to have great potential from your picture anyway. What deadweight was she, top price paid for her aswell. buyers not too plentiful for those big type cattle atm. Many buyers seem to be gone on "holidays":rolleyes:

Think many buyers are feeling the pinch after last year and the price of meal. While profits are down a bit there is stock left to feed and not as much lolly to buy replacements of that quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Pudsey is bang on the money regarding her coldweight...I think 324kg... don't have docket now to hand.

I would agree with Pudsey in that I thought she could have done with a bit more feeding pre slaughter. Straight silage and feck all meal.

She was a jumper that could rival any horse at Cheltenham! See sawing on the crush head gate the last time we had her up and with test soon coming up, wanted her gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭DMAXMAN

was offered 4.35 on the grid today base for qa bullocks. also half the haulage and maybe no clipping charges. what would anyone think, the indo says its about as good as is going

DMAXMAN wrote: »
    was offered 4.35 on the grid today base for qa bullocks. also half the haulage and maybe no clipping charges. what would anyone think, the indo says its about as good as is going

Have not paid clipping charges in years if a factory tried to charge me I would park a trailer outside until I got the money back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

Dmax what kind of bullocks are they curious as I have about 20 bullocks to go too. A mix of fr,lim,sim ect. Usually sell them flat here

Have not paid clipping charges in years if a factory tried to charge me I would park a trailer outside until I got the money back

Pudsey how many u selling at a time to get haulage off?

Pudsey how many u selling at a time to get haulage off?

I did not say I was getting haulage off I said that I did not pay for clipping for over 2 years.

• Advertisement

I did not say I was getting haulage off I said that I did not pay for clipping for over 2 years.

Apologies pudsey misread that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Blue Holland

Got offered d same a week last Fri and sat, two factories in waterford, dawn, abp wanted them loaded Monday morn, held off till Thursday but couldn't get any more, 15 cent bonus for AA, 4.50 for Heifers on grid, it was mixed load.

Dmax what kind of bullocks are they curious as I have about 20 bullocks to go too. A mix of fr,lim,sim ect. Usually sell them flat here
    they are a mix of mostly charolais, with some simmentals salers and 1 blue on them . reckon on them killing about 410 to 420 kilos dead.hope there is about 7 u on the 30 and about 2 o.

well deal done 4.40 base price for anything up to 410 kgs and 4.35 over that weight. 10 euro towards haulage and no clipping charge even though factory has a policy of charging for all cattle going through. will post results later in the week

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

Any one have an idea what under 16mth bulls are making in the factories ?

well deal done 4.40 base price for anything up to 410 kgs and 4.35 over that weight. 10 euro towards haulage and no clipping charge even though factory has a policy of charging for all cattle going through. will post results later in the week
    got the cheque there today. happy camper, they killed out 428 kilos cold. 1o 14 r and 13u. all young cattle(under 30 months). came into 1935 euro. 2 left that would not fit into lorry, going to bring them to mart on Friday for comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

got the cheque there today. happy camper, they killed out 428 kilos cold. 1o 14 r and 13u. all young cattle(under 30 months). came into 1935 euro. 2 left that would not fit into lorry, going to bring them to mart on Friday for comparison.

They're off to tullow I presume

simx wrote: »
    They're off to tullow I presume
    ye going to tullow as its only 3 miles to mart so handy out that way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

ye going to tullow as its only 3 miles to mart so handy out that way

ah ya should get on well there anything any good makes money there. Prices do be so good one perticuliar man does bring heifers from roscommon to there

• Advertisement

simx wrote: »
    ah ya should get on well there anything any good makes money there. Prices do be so good one perticuliar man does bring heifers from roscommon to there
    saw sheep from Kerry there last year alright and cattle from Longford another time, never saw anything from Roscommon but I don't be there every week or anything. anyway went there and sold my 2 bullocks. average weight 728 kilos and they made 1980 euro:D:D:D. classed them as the average for the cattle and the rest made 1910 take home so happy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement