Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Junior Club Semi Final

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

Well not surprised that both clubs have been hit with suspensions and heavy fines after the brawl. Derrytresk will be severely hit with these suspensions for the All Ireland final on Sunday week. While the GAA were correct to also fine and suspend Dromid players the club won't suffer as much considering 2 of the players will only miss mickey mouse league and local games at worst and even the player hit with the 5 month ban will be back in time for Championship action. This is something the GAA need to address as it makes a mockery of the suspension system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Seamo87

dartbhoy wrote: »
    Well not surprised that both clubs have been hit with suspensions and heavy fines after the brawl. Derrytresk will be severely hit with these suspensions for the All Ireland final on Sunday week. While the GAA were correct to also fine and suspend Dromid players the club won't suffer as much considering 2 of the players will only miss mickey mouse league and local games at worst and even the player hit with the 5 month ban will be back in time for Championship action. This is something the GAA need to address as it makes a mockery of the suspension system.

Base suspensions on # of games rather then time?...Yeah your right, GAA have been slow to embrace that, but long time based bans such as 5 months can cover alot of games at club level.

And to be fair any league games missed by Dromid players will be felt. There are no mickey mouse league games at club level, league games are all these guys have. League games at club level are the games to make you want to continue playing training with your club. 5months without games, means you might aswell take up another sport, no club player will train for 5months with no games to show for it. Plus Dromid are a rural club, this could put them in relegation trouble before they even start.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Seamo87 wrote: »
    So you think it would be right for supporters in future to enter the pitch and escalate a scuffle between 2 players. Because that's all it really was. If DT management and supporters don't blow their lode and act on the urge to be thugs......then all it would have been is probably 1 yellow card for a Dromhid player and 1 yellow card for a DT player (3rd player in rule) and that would have been that.

I suggest you go and check back to the original post that I was replying to. I can't see any post in which I have condoned the actions of the Derrytresk subs.

And furthermore, given what you have said above, I would also suggest that you look at the video again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

hahaha ahh u tit, ur still missing the point!!! haha action not reaction stupid!! haha What are you stuck on? Some All Ireland junior game?:) Think bigger fool, we're talking about large crowds here, priority should be health and safety of players, officials, supporters and anyone else at the game.

haha It's ok, you just lack foresight..........I'm sure you and others would have said 10 years that there is no need for defibrillators at games.....that concussion was no big deal.......hey why fence off hill 16, insurance! Why insurance?...ah health and safety stupid:cool:

But it's ok, you'll learn!!

good response. you clearly are on another level of intellect to me.

I am glad I have people like you who can help me learn at least. Then we wont have supporters being killed, children being stomped over, and players being attacked as they kick frees in an AI final.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

Anyone know the lenght of suspensions the Derrytresk fellas got? heard the scumbag with the hoodie who hit the Dromid midfielder got 12 months. Hope to God this is true....

"teamtalkrag" were quick enough in coming out telling us how long one of the Dromid fellas got suspended for. Nothing about what their own gang got, what was that about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭wonga77

One month I hear the hoodie got. A disgrace if its true

heard form one source it was 12 months and 1 month from another, unbelieveable if he only got a month....:mad:

I said it earlier, he effectively changed the course of the game when he took out the Dromid midfielder, if he only got 1 month then it makes a complete joke of the situation. He came in from outside the barrier, he should be looking at a year at the very least. I would hope Duchalla that your first source is right

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Well not surprised that both clubs have been hit with suspensions and heavy fines after the brawl. Derrytresk will be severely hit with these suspensions for the All Ireland final on Sunday week. .

Be very suprised if all of these guys dont play in the AI final, they will appeal the suspensions and if that fails they will merely get a high court injunction which will temporarily freeze the suspension and they will serve the siuspension later.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

hahaha ahh u tit, ur still missing the point!!! haha action not reaction stupid!! haha What are you stuck on? Some All Ireland junior game?:) Think bigger fool, we're talking about large crowds here, priority should be health and safety of players, officials, supporters and anyone else at the game.

haha It's ok, you just lack foresight..........I'm sure you and others would have said 10 years that there is no need for defibrillators at games.....that concussion was no big deal.......hey why fence off hill 16, insurance! Why insurance?...ah health and safety stupid:cool:

But it's ok, you'll learn!!

While heated for the most part this thread has been fine, but anymore guff like this post and bans will be handed out. Keep it civil please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Where did "teamtalkmag.com" receive there their journalism degree's?!!!!! :rolleyes:

Same place you did probably. :P

Be very suprised if all of these guys dont play in the AI final, they will appeal the suspensions and if that fails they will merely get a high court injunction which will temporarily freeze the suspension and they will serve the siuspension later.

If this is true it'll make a mockery of the thing, the law will most certainly be an ass.

duchalla wrote: »
    If this is true it'll make a mockery of the thing, the law will most certainly be an ass.

It has been done before, a Tipp minor a few years ago was suspended for the AI final, from an incident in a club game, he appealed and lost, hes father and club then approached to the county board and asked them to take out an injunction c, county board told them to fcuk off, the fathe then at he's own cost took the case to the high court and got an injunction, said player preceded to have a mare and Tipp were well beaten.

He's a current Tipp senior hurler now aswel.

That must have been a costly decision

bruschi wrote: »
    good response. you clearly are on another level of intellect to me.

I am glad I have people like you who can help me learn at least. Then we wont have supporters being killed, children being stomped over, and players being attacked as they kick frees in an AI final.

See, right here you use sarcasm, yes? I notice it, yet some how you still don't pick up on the sarcasm with regards to my All-Ireland final analogy, because that scenario didn't actually happen:eek:...you follow me now!! It was an extreme example used in order to illustrate what COULD happen,.....prevention not reaction is needed!!

Now go flag me over that:D:cool:

Same place you did probably. :P

O I claimed to be a journalist????...I'm just a mere mortal like yourself, giving my opinions on a public forum, I don't claim to be anything more.

wonga77 wrote: »
    That must have been a costly decision

Daddy had/has deep pockets but yes it was

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭randd1

What happened in Egypt during the week kind of puts things into perspective, no-one died.

That said while there's no doubt that there is a world of difference between what happened Portlaois and Port Said, nonetheless the it shows that things can turn very ugly, very quickly when passions run high in sport. This isn't an isolated incident in the GAA either, it happens every year and one of these days someone is going to be seriously hurt, or worse. The question is, will someone have to die (a possibility) before the collective of the GAA (the fans, clubs, counties, county boards, provincial councils and the Association itself) finally do something about it? Suspensions and fines just don't do it.

One big problem is the clubs/counties themselves. When one of their players does something wrong the automatic response is that they're innocent and the clubs/counties pull every stroke to to prevent suspension, there's no accountability or responsibility. The other problem is the GAA rules themselves. There's too much ambiguity in them, make the rules definite, and when someone breaks them, make the punishments definite and unbreakable through appeal.

The GAA need to tackle this issue far more than the manager payments issue in my book, its not good for the image of the GAA, its not good for the sport and its definitely not good for convincing parents of young kids to get them playing GAA sports.

Correct premierstone. Rumours are already suggesting that Derrytresk have employed a well known solicitor in GAA circles to defend their players and what you've stated is what's more than likely going to happen. It'll anger GAA fans but it's a loophole which has been used by teams previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Correct premierstone. Rumours are already suggesting that Derrytresk have employed a well known solicitor in GAA circles to defend their players and what you've stated is what's more than likely going to happen. It'll anger GAA fans but it's a loophole which has been used by teams previously.

I wouldn't be too sure. Injunctions aren't always granted automatically. And if the GAA fight an attempt to impose an injunction by saying that they have their own robust and fair internal investigation and disciplinary procedures that include an appeals mechanism, which they do, it might be deemed against the interests of justice for an external organ like the High Court to undermine those procedures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Would there be any implications considering Derrytresk are a Northern Irish side, in their attempt to get an injunction, if indeed they went down that route. Which legal system would they be going down?

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Would there be any implications considering Derrytresk are a Northern Irish side, in their attempt to get an injunction, if indeed they went down that route. Which legal system would they be going down?
    I'm sure they'd go down the 26 county route but you have brought up an interesting point there. If the Republic Of Ireland appeal through the courts failed will they go down the 6 counties route to appeal the bans? GAA is played in the 32 counties,would be interesting to see what the outcome would be if this scenario was to happen?

The clock is ticking on it so it will be very interesting to see the outcome. DT have done a reasonably good job on keeping their mouth shut so far so it might be a few days before we find out what direction they are taking

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

randd1 wrote: »
    That said while there's no doubt that there is a world of difference between what happened Portlaois and Port Said, nonetheless the it shows that things can turn very ugly, very quickly when passions run high in sport. .

Sweet Jesus will ya come down out of that....what happened in Egypt hasnothing to do with sport/passion/support......this is a country in a de facto civil war and the only link to football was it was a place with a lot of people corralled into the same place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Nicely slipped in by the gaa, the 5 year ban wont really affect them that much in truth, the tyrone intermediate is very competitive so i doubt they will win it anyway. They got their centre forward off so he'll be a massive addition to the team. 7 others still suspended, though I have to say i thought the #11 was one of the more clearcut guilty parties involved. Still not sure what the #3 did wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The 11 got off? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

keane2097 wrote: »
    The 11 got off? lol

Seems that way.

So what is the actual punishment at this stage? > No waterboys???

• Registered Users Posts: 17,319 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

wonga77 wrote: »
    Nicely slipped in by the gaa, the 5 year ban wont really affect them that much in truth, the tyrone intermediate is very competitive so i doubt they will win it anyway. They got their centre forward off so he'll be a massive addition to the team. 7 others still suspended, though I have to say i thought the #11 was one of the more clearcut guilty parties involved. Still not sure what the #3 did wrong

Not sure how the number 11 got off. You can actually see him go steaming right into the middle of the melee.

He's one of their main men too. Wonder was some kind of deal made? Give us back the number 11 and we'll accept the rest of the punishment.

• Advertisement

Not sure how the number 11 got off. You can actually see him go steaming right into the middle of the melee.

He's one of their main men too. Wonder was some kind of deal made? Give us back the number 11 and we'll accept the rest of the punishment.

Funnily enough i heard that suggested today, at the time I thought it seemed a bit mad but you never know. Im still confused as to why some of the others were punished, esp the #3?

Advertisement