Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Junior Club Semi Final

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭wonga77

Not that it really matters in my opinion but im not sure where the wrong card count has come from, probably another element of lazy journalism. It was actually Dromid 8 yellows against Derrytresks 4 and not 9 - 2 as suggested everywhere. Easily counted for those who actually watched the game. Again it doesnt change the situation but at least have the facts someway correct

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Mervyn Crawford

The GAA is a reactionary organisation that encourages parochialism and violence.

Controlled by local elites it engages in favouritism and bullying.

Supported by the banks and the alcohol industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

The GAA is a reactionary organisation that encourages parochialism and violence.

Did ye not get picked for the u10b's at some stage. Grow up FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

He could do with fleshing it out a bit, but in the main his post is spot on tbh and I'm GAA to the core.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

citycentre wrote: »
    What bench? Have you ever been to O'Moore Park? The sideline setup is pathetic...

you missed my point 100%

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

keane2097 wrote: »
    He could do with fleshing it out a bit, but in the main his post is spot on tbh and I'm GAA to the core.

I have to say that being controlled by the banks and the drinks industry is over the top. My Club's bar does not support the club, fund raising does and we have no debt with the banks so that's that argument out the window in my club. It would be interesting to see how many clubs are actually in debt and dancing to the banks tune though.

Favoritism will be found in all clubs, be it GAA, Rugby, Soccer, Tennis, Golf, it does not matter that's life.The Parish is the way the GAA has always been run bar Dublin where there is no parish rule.

I just think his statement was far to general.

I am involved in GAA, Soccer and Golf clubs so have seen all of what hes talks about.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

dartbhoy wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see what will come out of the Investigation to this brawl. While there's no doubt Derrytresk will be the centre of attention some Dromid players will be in bother also. My main hope is that the GAA will study this incident and set out new rules and regulations for the future regarding brawls of this nature. As for calls for Derrytresk to be thrown out of the All Ireland I don't think there's any rules in the Association at present that will allow for that to happen.

I presume it'll come down to what the ref puts in his report. There were plenty more incidents in the game that deserve a proper look. The CCCC are usually fast enough to deal with incidents at an intercounty level. no.11 for Derrytresk will have to get banned for the cowardly way he hit the Dromid no.5 while he was on the ground. To be honest, I dunno if any Dromid players deserved to get banned. The no.5 was booked by the ref after the brawl, so he was dealt with. The Derrytresk clipboard guy started the scuffle with the Dromid no.4 and to be fair the Dromid man didnt do anything out of the way. Keep an eye on him, at 10 secs, a baldy scumbag comes over the hoarding and goes with an elbow into the head of the Dromid player, serious damage if he'd connected, the scumbag slipped, but got up and continued flaking any dromid player near him. At 17 secs,the Dromid no.9 from got a belt from the scumbag in the hoodie. He can be seen hopping kicks off the Dromid no.5 om the ground after. NO BODY CAN JUSTIFY THIS CARRY ON. They should be thrown out of the competition.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Citycentre is exactly what is wrong with the GAA and these kind of situations. and he has put himself in such a corner now defending everything, he cant see the wood from the trees.

Most people want to see these incidents eradicated completley, but until clubs start admitting responsibility and acknowledging this cant be accepted it wont change anytime soon.

1. Blame the opposition
    Nor did the Derrytresk players or subs "start" the brawl.
    Check.

2. Defend an entire subs bench launching over a fence to engage in a brawl
    I think it was understandable in the heat of the moment
    Check.

3. Blame it on over reactions of everyone else
    neither was it the SHOCK HORROR DISGRACE etc. etc....over the top reactions ...your hysterical ranting...The sheer hysteria over all this is just ridiculous
    Check.

4. Call the opposition sore losers
    that everyone (especially the bad losers) is whining about....it smacks of the Kerry team just being plain bad losers
    Check

5. Blame the grounds
    What bench? Have you ever been to O'Moore Park? The sideline setup is pathetic...
    Check

6. Call it handbags and a nothing inicident
    a fairly innocuous looking brawl...
    Check

7. Mention Joe Duffy
    a series of ever more hysterical and over the top callers to Joe Duffy on liveline spouting exaggerations and outright lies about the incidents ...
    Check

8. blame the media
    a sour grapes match report from the Examiner...
    then a load of bandwagon jumpers in the media using the assembled "evidence" to drag the name of a small community through the mud. ..this is being blown out of all proportion by the media
    Check

9. blame the internet
    Follow this with the inevitable armchair warriors pontificating and wringing their hands in disgust without even trying to get a balanced perspective..
    Check

10. Keep blaming the opposition
    All this despite the clear evidence on the released video and from the disgraceful card tally that Dromid were in the business of provoking the opposition, were persistent foulers and are clearly not averse to a bit of whinging and moaning when things don't go their way..
    Check

11. abuse the opposition
    Their media whoring, ... general lack of any sort of manliness ... well sure they come across as being nothing but a pack of old women!...Dromid manager who came across as a total drama queen
    Check

12. Admit your club was wrong in what they did
    regretable....excuses.....wasn't either teams finest hour ...more excuses... regretably...excuses

Nope, no admission of guilt or wrongdoing.

bruschi, shur GAA is a contact sport :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

You really do need to get out more bud...!!!!
    time to seriously grow up. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Tombo2000

dartbhoy wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see what will come out of the Investigation to this brawl. While there's no doubt Derrytresk will be the centre of attention some Dromid players will be in bother also. My main hope is that the GAA will study this incident and set out new rules and regulations for the future regarding brawls of this nature. As for calls for Derrytresk to be thrown out of the All Ireland I don't think there's any rules in the Association at present that will allow for that to happen.

here's the thing:

A lot of the discussion here seems to be about "who is to blame".

But thats a misplaced discussion....

It doesnt matter whether the Ulster team started it, or whether the Munster team started it.

Because most people who see this video are just going to see dozens and dozens of grown men assualting each other on a football pitch in broad daylight, some of them in red jerseys and some of them in blue jerseys. They dont know which team is which, or where they are from, and they dont care.

Whats to blame here is the culture in GAA football that tolerates this sort of violence.

And thats enough to put a lot of people off football for life.

You dont see this in other GAA sports, you dont see it in soccer or rugby, or any other sport.

And a big part of the problem here is, people who go on about 'handbags....its a contact sport....it was only a slap..' and so on......thats fine.....what you are really saying is.....

"We know that big mills (ie violence and assault) are part of the game, and we are happy with that, it entertains us"

.......thats fine for you, and if you maintain that view then the game won't change, but a lot of other people will never touch the game as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

bruschi wrote: »
    Citycentre is exactly what is wrong with the GAA and these kind of situations. and he has put himself in such a corner now defending everything, he cant see the wood from the trees.

Most people want to see these incidents eradicated completley, but until clubs start admitting responsibility and acknowledging this cant be accepted it wont change anytime soon.

1. Blame the opposition
    Check.

Check.

Check.

Check

5. Blame the grounds
    Check

Check

7. Mention Joe Duffy
    Check

8. blame the media
    Check

9. blame the internet
    Check

Check

11. abuse the opposition
    Check

one of the best posts ever on this forum, well done.
    what you said right there, sums up the gaa. blame it all on somebody else except yourself.

this post can be used over and over again, anytime something goes wrong. i love the gaa, its been beat into me since i was young, but it embarrasses me more than any other sport.

its always somebody elses fault.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

one of the best posts ever on this forum, well done.
    what you said right there, sums up the gaa. blame it all on somebody else except yourself.

this post can be used over and over again, anytime something goes wrong. i love the gaa, its been beat into me since i was young, but it embarrasses me more than any other sport.

its always somebody elses fault.

yup. the only thing missing was the referee, and he is usally number 1.

Dick Clerkin was on Matt Coopers show the other night and was saying similar, and that he is embarressed for the sport he loves every Monday morning when the papers back page carries some sort of headline of a controversial game on the weekend. Its the other thing that happens too, people whinge about the media sensationalising the events, and making mroe of them, and they are nothing fights. dont do it in the first place, and then there is no story for them to run. Missing the point completley.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Park Royal

It is surprising to hear there are also allegations....of sexual abuse .....

several players have alleged they were sexually molested ...

these are serious allegations , players sexually molesting other players

have no place in this sport....IMHO....

we have enough problems like those in other sports like swimming.....

I don't think there's been any suggestion either verbal or implied that there was a sexual motive behind any of the incidents at the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

bruschi wrote: »

1. Blame the opposition
    Nor did the Derrytresk players or subs "start" the brawl.
    Check.

I think it was understandable in the heat of the moment
    Check.

neither was it the SHOCK HORROR DISGRACE etc. etc....over the top reactions ...your hysterical ranting...The sheer hysteria over all this is just ridiculous
    Check.

that everyone (especially the bad losers) is whining about....it smacks of the Kerry team just being plain bad losers
    Check

5. Blame the grounds
    Check

a fairly innocuous looking brawl...
    Check

7. Mention Joe Duffy
    a series of ever more hysterical and over the top callers to Joe Duffy on liveline spouting exaggerations and outright lies about the incidents ...
    Check

8. blame the media
    a sour grapes match report from the Examiner...
    then a load of bandwagon jumpers in the media using the assembled "evidence" to drag the name of a small community through the mud. ..this is being blown out of all proportion by the media
    Check

9. blame the internet
    Follow this with the inevitable armchair warriors pontificating and wringing their hands in disgust without even trying to get a balanced perspective..
    Check

All this despite the clear evidence on the released video and from the disgraceful card tally that Dromid were in the business of provoking the opposition, were persistent foulers and are clearly not averse to a bit of whinging and moaning when things don't go their way..
    Check

11. abuse the opposition
    Their media whoring, ... general lack of any sort of manliness ... well sure they come across as being nothing but a pack of old women!...Dromid manager who came across as a total drama queen
    Check

regretable....excuses.....wasn't either teams finest hour ...more excuses... regretably...excuses

Brilliant post sums up the prevailing attitude of a host of people brilliantly.
    Kudos

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 wanlabanchang

Its an awful pitty that the GAA didn't do anything years ago to stamp out the 'northern' style of football.

I don't think there's been any suggestion either verbal or implied that there was a sexual motive behind any of the incidents at the game.

Maybe the aul wan who went at Declan with the handbag was after something else. :D

duchalla wrote: »
    Maybe the aul wan who went at Declan with the handbag was after something else. :D

It's a shame this handbag thing is being made such a headline in this whole sorry affair because it makes it all that much easier to laugh and joke about.

The incident you're referring to saw O'Sullivan accosted as he tried to leave the field after the game was over, he was struck with a handbag by a woman as you mention, but he was also assaulted by a man accompanying her.

Both were nabbed by a Guard who witnessed the incident, but by the time the Guard had dealt with the two and gone looking for O'Sullivan to seek a statement he had already left the ground.

It's all dreadful stuff, not fit for laughing about in the slightest imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭wonga77

I doubt very much he would have made a big deal about it anyway. It would only be an embarrasment for him. Getting hit with a handbag and making front page news over it must have been bad enough. In fairness, dromid players have kept a low profile since and I know the media have been doing their best to contact a few of them the last few days

• Advertisement

wonga77 wrote: »
    I doubt very much he would have made a big deal about it anyway. It would only be an embarrasment for him. Getting hit with a handbag and making front page news over it must have been bad enough. In fairness, dromid players have kept a low profile since and I know the media have been doing their best to contact a few of them the last few days

That's not good enough.

Any player involved in incidents like these has a moral obligation to society as well as the GAA to assist the Guards and the association in prosecuting these people to an appropriate degree.

How mealy-mouthed will the angry statements coming out of Kerry about all this look if it later transpires that people involved aren't even willing to make a statement to the Guards about an incident a Guard saw himself and went looking for help following up on?

Can't have it both ways, anyone refusing to make statements or similar are simply saying they're happy enough for shit like this to go on indefinitely.

wonga77 wrote: »

as far as the GAA are concerned, the issue here is a player getting assaulted after the game. doesnt matter if it was a hand bag or a punch in the face. Why are supporters able to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Its an awful pitty that the GAA didn't do anything years ago to stamp out the 'northern' style of football.

Best post on here by a country mile. That has set the bar that the rest of ye have to reach! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

LOL somebody couldnt make their local team ahhhhhh

It's all dreadful stuff, not fit for laughing about in the slightest imo.

keano2097, I know it was awful carry on. I wasnt making a joke out of it. T'was more of a dig at the aul wan than than anything else. Apologies if it came across different....

duchalla wrote: »
    keano2097, I know it was awful carry on. I wasnt making a joke out of it. T'was more of a dig at the aul wan than than anything else. Apologies if it came across different....

Yeah, I wasn't giving out to you - you just reminded me what a disaster the handbag thing is from the POV of this being taken in the serious way it ought to be.

Shame on the media for picking "hit with a handbag" over "punched in the face by a thug" as their headline tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭hisholinessnb

Disgraceful scenes and the harshes possible punishment needs to be dished out. We need to put the foot down and set an example that we do not accept this anymore.

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Pretty terrible when players get picked out and assaulted because they are on the county team.

Also, to have the whole subs bench hop over the wall and turn an already firey situation into an uncontrolled brawl is unacceptable.

Derrytresk should be thrown out of the competition and the Galway club should be awarded the Final. Serious fines should be handed out also for their lack of controll over players, subs and supporters.

Dromid aren't blameless in this either, but the burden especially from the video evidence lies on the Derrytresk backs, IMO.

Pretty ugly scenes, something which has unfortunatly becme commonplace in Tyrone club football recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

A few things. I will move some posts from here to the new thread on GAA in Irish Society so as to not drag this discussion off track.

Secondly there is some bickering and generally niggling coming into some of the posts. Remember attack the post and not the poster, anymore of this crap and bans will be dished out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

I've declared from the start of this thread that Derrytresk shouldn't be thrown out of the All Ireland and even though I'm very much in the minority on this thread about this personally while Derrytresk have questions to answer and must face punishment for what happened in no way should a team be thrown out for the actions of a number of idiotic fans.

The way Derrytresk club is been portrayed by people on various sites is way OTT IMO. Unfortunately for the club on Sunday some of their so called fans lost the run of themselves and got involved in a brawl which was totally wrong of them. But this club had a few hundred fans at the game who behaved themselves properly yet it's saddening to see some posts on various sites describing the club and their fans in a derogatory manner.

Derrytresk will need to identify the fighting fans to the GAA and reading an article today the club are prepared to co-operate with the GAA on this matter. Their will be possibly a few players that will get suspensions also. However Dromid have questions to answer also and it must be remembered finished the game with 13 players and over half their team got yellow cards.

Scenes like what happened on Sunday are disgraceful and the GAA needs to clamp down on them big time. However Derrytresk should not be thrown out under any circumstances IMO.

Advertisement