Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

wardy2 wrote: »
    first day using a dash cam and got this

Doesn't seem to have been any indication by the driver at all - probably looking for parking, and spotted the car park - doesn't like like the cyclist slowed or braked at all either, so I guess he never saw the car coming.

That cyclist might well be out of pocket for injuries or damage to the bike, so you might like to tag the video with the location and date, just to help him find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Shocking driving, cyclist didn't have a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I picked up a Dashcam at the weekend. Nothing of real note happened so far - this happened this morning. Cam makes it look like there was a lot more room than there actually was, and pulling in to the inside lane from the middle lane, where there is a merge from an on ramp in to the same lane, isn't the smartest thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Nothing needs to be said....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I get the impression the people in the car may have died :( what irresponsible driving.

EDIT: the driver (the only person in the car) actually survived! If he pulls through (critical) then he should count himself unbelievably lucky!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

bear1 wrote: »
    I get the impression the people in the car may have died :( what irresponsible driving.

EDIT: the driver (the only person in the car) actually survived! If he pulls through (critical) then he should count himself unbelievably lucky!
    According to the comments on youtube the collision was 2 months ago and female driver is making a good recovery, giving interviews and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭Homer

Lucky that the driving position is on the left hand side in Belgium or the outcome may have been different.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

I hate that crap, diving from lane 3 to the exit. I see it on the M50 every time I use it. The driver of the cam vehicle was involved in an accident that needn't have happened. Why can't people just get in lane earlier? Just to gain a few car-lengths? Is it really worth it, seeing the above video?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I wouldn't call the above diabolical driving. Poor judgement sure to assume the exit lane was clear, but it's not like they cut across exceptionally late just as the exit lane disappears. Also incredibly unlucky to have all trucks arranged in the position they were in, coupled with a long queue several hundred metres away from the exit which most wouldn't expect.

Should they expect? Sure, and they also should have taken it slower with so much obstructed vision, but how many here would have done the same?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

slimjimmc wrote: »
    According to the comments on youtube the collision was 2 months ago and female driver is making a good recovery, giving interviews and all.

The description also gives a link to a newspaper article saying the driver was in a coma and fractured two upper vertebrae and shattered her hand. She has survived and watched the video too... Close call..

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,719 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Glad to hear the driver is ok, despite the horrendous driving. I got a shock when I saw the debris spreading all over the road - it looked like child's toys and a nappy bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

Sure, and they also should have taken it slower with so much obstructed vision, but how many here would have done the same?
    Well, not me for one. That was the worst kind of dangerous driving. I can't believe anyone is defending it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

To be honest, I wouldn't perform that sort of "driving" to get my exit. I'd consider it a lost hope and move over to the right and take the next exit and double back.
    She could have killed herself and possibly others. It was terrible driving and she paid a high price for it. I'm glad she is ok now though and I'd seriously hope the next time she gets behind the wheel she has second thoughts about her lane discipline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

I wouldn't call the above diabolical driving.

I would, absolutely. a complete gamble on what may or may not be in a lane driving blind at motorway speeds is diabolical.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭josip

How close was she to the back of the DHL truck when she moved blindly into the exit lane? Suicidal driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭highdef

R.O.R wrote: »
    I picked up a Dashcam at the weekend. Nothing of real note happened so far - this happened this morning. Cam makes it look like there was a lot more room than there actually was, and pulling in to the inside lane from the middle lane, where there is a merge from an on ramp in to the same lane, isn't the smartest thing to do.

And how the Scenic "indicates" is how the vast majority of drivers changing lanes choose to indicate. I would not consider the the flashing orange light as a valid indicator in this instance. The driver switches on the indicator as he/she began the manoeuvre which is completely useless. There's no point in switching on the indicator when you are actually carrying out your intention. As a result you had no time to react or give the other driver room to merge into your lane.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I picked up a Dashcam at the weekend. Nothing of real note happened so far - this happened this morning. Cam makes it look like there was a lot more room than there actually was,
    Doesn't look like there is much at all
    I wouldn't call the above diabolical driving. Poor judgement sure to assume the exit lane was clear, but it's not like they cut across exceptionally late just as the exit lane disappears. Also incredibly unlucky to have all trucks arranged in the position they were in, coupled with a long queue several hundred metres away from the exit which most wouldn't expect.

Should they expect? Sure, and they also should have taken it slower with so much obstructed vision, but how many here would have done the same?
    Thats crazy talk, it was horrendously stupid driving, Belgium, for anyone who has driven over there, is crazy on the motorways but to claim this wasn't horrendously poor driving is insane IMO
    Glad to hear the driver is ok, despite the horrendous driving. I got a shock when I saw the debris spreading all over the road - it looked like child's toys and a nappy bag.
    Same here, on first view I thought it was a childs booster seat.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Jeebus that was shocking driving. If the driver can walk they deserve a long ban for incredibly irresponsible driving and dangerous driving. That could have caused a massive pile up with all the traffic parked up and in the lanes she crossed.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Yeah one of my FB friends posted it up and I was the same when I saw the debris, looked like kids stuff. A passenger in the front would have been toast, no doubt about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

but how many here would have done the same?

I doubt many here would have done the same, as most here give out about that sort of suicidal driving.
    And it was a diabolical, inconsiderate manoeuvre. Did you not notice how much clear exit lane the cam vehicle passed by before she decided to cut across the path of other vechiles just because she hadn't the foresight to get into the correct lane earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,902 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

VoEWLPF.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Having viewed it again on a computer a few time, i retract what i said, very poor driving indeed. As mentioned above by someone, If I miss the start of a turn off a motorway by even a few metres, I treat the opportunity as gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Saw a taxi driver pulled over by a cop last night (I do have dash cam footage but it's **** and also just got a new car so need to adjust the angle).

Checked the taxi reg on the driver check app and it came back as "no driver is currently registered to this vehicle etc"...

I wonder if that is why he got pulled? I'm amazed that there are unlicensed taxi drivers out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I'm very disappointed with you, it's taken you THIS long to get a dash cam? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

kingtut wrote: »
    Saw a taxi driver pulled over by a cop last night (I do have dash cam footage but it's **** and also just got a new car so need to adjust the angle).

Checked the taxi reg on the driver check app and it came back as "no driver is currently registered to this vehicle etc"...

I wonder if that is why he got pulled? I'm amazed that there are unlicensed taxi drivers out there.

OFF TOPIC but

Doesn't always equate to unlicensed, all it really means is that someone hasn't dotted the t's and crossed the i's, only €40 fine for driving a taxi without updating the NTA app.

However, that doesn't mean that ALL checks that come back "no driver" are that reason, sometimes it can be true according to the Sunday World ( I know, I know I was just posted the link I don't read it :) )

307vy1f.jpg

http://irishtaxi.org/forum/index.php/topic,28338.15.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Gosub wrote: »
    Well, not me for one. That was the worst kind of dangerous driving. I can't believe anyone is defending it.

I certainly don't think anyone is defending that manoeuvre! in that instant it was definitely a bad mistake....
    But if you look, she's not speeding, she does indicate, and I feel it was certainly unfortunate that as she approached her lane her view was hindered by the truck in front of the camera truck, so instead of falling in in front of the camera truck she decided to continue into her slip rd......
    More like 'The Perfect Storm' to me.

Glad to hear she's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Does anyone know is it possible to produce a video containing the map and speed info on Registrator Viewer or does a screen capture program need to be used? The video file itself recorded by the dash cam doesn't show either, but the log file recorded with the video shows it in the viewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Homer wrote: »
    Lucky that the driving position is on the left hand side in Belgium or the outcome may have been different.

I'm not trying to be a smart arse,
    but if I made the same manoeuvre here in Ireland, my passenger would also take full impact!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

Thargor wrote: »
    VoEWLPF.gif

Maybe i'm wrong but to me the driver of the Focus (male or Female) made a MAD Dart to the right due to taking there eyes of the road for some reason while making a motorway manoeuvre....:eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement