Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

Ah sure it's fine. No way they'll be involved in a crash today. Anyway, they can just hold on really, really tight to the infant if they are in a crash. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

irishmover wrote: »
    Its not more accurate. The GPS in those units are the lowest of the lowest grade. Positional accuracy is pretty poor to begin with when the vehicle is static nevermind moving (+/- 5m static so imagine what its like moving at 40km/hr)
    . Its a gimmick that I'd advise to turn it off.

Ive spent several years working with GNSS now and can assure you that this units are not to be relied on.

There is no real reason to have it displayed at all to be honest. Its just another useless selling 'feature' from dashcam companies.

Fair enough, mine always seems accurate enough, speed is consistently about 3kmph slower on the dashcam at motorway speeds, which is consistent with what I'd expect, because by design car speedos are not accurate.
    But if like you say, experts in the field will back up the statement that these devices do not accurately calculate the speed, I don't see the harm in having it on, because it can't be used against you anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

A cyclist overtakes the truck waiting at the red and comes close to being t-boned by a car ...

Car behind in lane 2 can see car in front indicating because the lanes ahead merge so decides to undertake and box the car in ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭xabi

dickwod1 wrote: »

Car behind in lane 2 can see car in front indicating because the lanes ahead merge so decides to undertake and box the car in ...

What a w@nker

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Nino Brown wrote: »
    Fair enough, mine always seems accurate enough, speed is consistently about 3kmph slower on the dashcam at motorway speeds, which is consistent with what I'd expect, because by design car speedos are not accurate.
    But if like you say, experts in the field will back up the statement that these devices do not accurately calculate the speed, I don't see the harm in having it on, because it can't be used against you anyway.

As long as it can't be, that's the main thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

xabi wrote: »
    What a w@nker

Not excusing that but I'm wondering was there more to it. Was the leading car hogging the overtaking lane for a while before?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

A cyclist overtakes the truck waiting at the red and comes close to being t-boned by a car ...

I got overtaken there a few weeks ago on the hatched lines, unfortunately the dash cam malfunctioned, typical as the car was doing well over 100

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    I got overtaken there a few weeks ago on the hatched lines, unfortunately the dash cam malfunctioned, typical as the car was doing well over 100

I think I seen that happening a few weeks back, was it a Honda civic?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭eoin1539

I want to get one of these, anybody have any suggestions for a good one?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,592 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Advertisement

Terrible driving going on ...

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

xabi wrote: »
    What a w@nker

Seems to be common on that road. Had someone do it to me. I was overtaking, car was behind me in the overtaking lane too, I was about to pull in and he dived in beside me and squeezed right up the the car infront of him (left lane), forcing me onto the hashed lines. He wasnt budging. Total w@nker attitude. Go figure

That Astra

If in doubt, use all the lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

If in doubt, use all the lanes.
    First time in the big smoke maybe?

Taylor365 wrote: »
    First time in the big smoke maybe?

Not really an excuse. They have lanes in the country too.

Turning right, use the right lane - simples
    Turning left, use the left lane - simples
    Turning right again, use the right lane - simples again

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭IP freely

Looks like a hire car to me. Heaven forbid someone cannot be given a little bit of leeway for not being too sure on where they were going.

It wasn't like the Astra caused a major delay, sure it was bad driving but IMO its somewhat acceptable given it looks like a hire car. I'd love to see the OP driving in say Barcelona city centre ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭IP freely

Ever cross your mind that it mightn't have been simple to them and they didn't know what lane to be in, I'd bet if they stayed in the middle lane and then tried to move lanes at the last minute you'd not let them in and then post up a video here slating them :p

IP freely wrote: »
    Ever cross your mind that it mightn't have been simple to them and they didn't know what lane to be in, I'd bet if they stayed in the middle lane and then tried to move lanes at the last minute you'd not let them in and then post up a video here slating them :p

Sure I dont even have a dash cam. These are outrageous claims. :pac:

Lazily drifting into lanes (and breaking a red light) isnt the same as not knowing where you're going.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

RB vid and chat removed.

IP freely wrote: »
    I'd love to see the OP driving in say Barcelona city centre ;)

Even if I was lost in Barcelona I'd still use my indicators :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,624 ✭✭✭SteM

That learner at the end of the video should get 2 penalty points straight of the bat. If someone can't stick an L plate on properly they have no place on the roads :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

yoshiktk wrote: »

Fixed it for you. You only need to put the last bit of link between the youtube quotes. So it is

• Registered Users Posts: 13,803 ✭✭✭✭josip

Just like a Russian Dashcam video but with less snow, less vodka, fewer guns, better road design, better driver anticipation and better camera quality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

What's an RB video? What does the RB stand for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Stinicker wrote: »

Roundabout. Some people don't like roundabout discussion so its banned. Also continous white line and lane discussion is frowned upon. You can post videos of things that don't have lines, roundabouts or lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

doing the school run this morning, absolute cnut in a hurry/on the run

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Stinicker wrote: »
    This thread got bogged down with RB traffic rules questions and discussion to the point there was hardly any vids. So a separate thread was created for that here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Forgot to add the :pac:

You should see me down in Kerry! Did the ring twice before i found the rental house! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

BMJD wrote: »
    doing the school run this morning, absolute cnut in a hurry/on the run

I'd probably send a link onto the guards and ask them was there any robberies in the area! Shattering the red light as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement