Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Row wrote: »
    Maybe i'm wrong but to me the driver of the Focus (male or Female) made a MAD Dart to the right due to taking there eyes of the road for some reason while making a motorway manoeuvre....:eek:

You're wrong. They tried to make the exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭josip

Row wrote: »
    Maybe i'm wrong but to me the driver of the Focus (male or Female) made a MAD Dart to the right due to taking there eyes of the road for some reason while making a motorway manoeuvre....:eek:

No, look how she swerved back (and saved her own life) as soon as the stationary truck became visible; 10 metres in front of her...

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

josip wrote: »
    No, look how she swerved back (and saved her own life) as soon as the stationary truck became visible; 10 metres in front of her...

of course she was going to swerve , it's a natural reaction to try and avoid hitting something. Who is going to commit fully to hitting a truck....

breghall wrote: »
    of course she was going to swerve , it's a natural reaction to try and avoid hitting something. Who is going to commit fully to hitting a truck....

I was replying to Row's theory that she took her eyes off the road.
    In which case she wouldn't have seen the truck

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

josip wrote: »
    I was replying to Kenny's theory that she took her eyes off the road.
    In which case she wouldn't have seen the truck

Not mine.

• Advertisement

Not mine.

Apologies, corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭robz150

M50 This morning

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Not working for me rob :confused:

Working now

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭huggs2

working fine for me.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

I'm lost so i'll just take out some directions on the roundabout

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

Watch out for the bus :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    I'm lost so i'll just take out some directions on the roundabout

I'm lost here tbh. What happened there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

wonski wrote: »
    I'm lost here tbh. What happened there?

Not as clear in the video than the naked eye but he was using both hands flicking through a map or sheets of paper(left hand drive truck)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    Not as clear in the video than the naked eye but he was using both hands flicking through a map or sheets of paper(left hand drive truck)

He even indicated so must be well trained:D

It is difficult to see his maps on the video, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

cormie wrote: »
    I'm very disappointed with you, it's taken you THIS long to get a dash cam? :pac:

Always more important things to spend money on, Food, shoes for the kids etc. Ended up with quite a lot of One For All cards this year though, and some were coming up towards the year, so splashed out on the Nextbase 402g from Halfords.

This happened yesterday morning - came off the M50 due to really **** traffic and went for the outer ring road - this is the roundabout at Fonthill retail park:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Is that your car reg in the bottom of the video? I suppose you better remove it for privacy sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

BigEejit wrote: »
    Is that your car reg in the bottom of the video? I suppose you better remove it for privacy sake.

Meh.

It's easily visible on the front and back of the car, and can be seen morning and evening on the M1 and M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

IMO I'd remove your speed from the tagline. Its not entirely accurate and possibly could show you over the speed limit if an accident does happen which could incriminate you, even though your speedo shows you doing the limit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Least you got an apologising hand wave from the driver.
    Most times that happens you're greeted with a finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Least you got an apologising hand wave from the driver.
    Most times that happens you're greeted with a finger.

Hand wave absolves the guilty party of all wrongdoing in my eyes. You can drive me into a ditch, but if you wave to apologise, all is good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

irishmover wrote: »
    IMO I'd remove your speed from the tagline. Its not entirely accurate and possibly could show you over the speed limit if an accident does happen which could incriminate you, even though your speedo shows you doing the limit.

It might actually be more accurate, but they do lag slightly. I always leave mine on, because in the case of an accident you own the video. If the video shows you to be in the wrong, then the video "gets lost".
    Its usually not too hard to calculate speed from the video anyway if somebody wanted to.

Nino Brown wrote: »
    It might actually be more accurate, but they do lag slightly. I always leave mine on, because in the case of an accident you own the video. If the video shows you to be in the wrong, then the video "gets lost".
    Its usually not too hard to calculate speed from the video anyway if somebody wanted to.

Its not more accurate. The GPS in those units are the lowest of the lowest grade. Positional accuracy is pretty poor to begin with when the vehicle is static nevermind moving (+/- 5m static so imagine what its like moving at 40km/hr)
    . Its a gimmick that I'd advise to turn it off.

Ive spent several years working with GNSS now and can assure you that this units are not to be relied on.

In the instance of a crash to which is not your fault, with the dashcam being the only easy way of providing evidence to the authorities to show your innocence. The speed from the GPS could show you over the limit. So you'd hide this evidence just to save your skin and thus have to go down alternative avenues to hopefully show you're innocent? Nullifying the whole ides of owning a dashcam in the first place..

There is no real reason to have it displayed at all to be honest. Its just another useless selling 'feature' from dashcam companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

GPS is a desired feature for me because: It gives you an indication of the speed you were going, not that its accuracy is reliable but it's at least an indication

Another big advantage to having GPS is that you can easily find a clip you want to review if you were driving unfamiliar roads. For example a motorway or country road that you've been driving on for hours and remember an incident happening at a certain location on the map, without the GPS/map positioning, it can take ageess scouring through the footage to find what could only be a 3 second incident, having the map and being able to see the position can speed this up greatly.

cormie wrote: »
    GPS is a desired feature for me because: It gives you an indication of the speed you were going, not that its accuracy is reliable but it's at least an indication

Another big advantage to having GPS is that you can easily find a clip you want to review if you were driving unfamiliar roads. For example a motorway or country road that you've been driving on for hours and remember an incident happening at a certain location on the map, without the GPS/map positioning, it can take ageess scouring through the footage to find what could only be a 3 second incident, having the map and being able to see the position can speed this up greatly.

That last bit is fine if you find the use for it. Getting you to roughly where things happened via coordinates is the only thing I'd use it for. Or as extra evidence to show roughly where the accident occurred but generally not needed either.

I just dont recommend using the GPS to display your speedo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The speedo via GPS would never be used/accepted to determine speed and if it did it is easy to discredit. Mine has spiked at 174 kph while going down Fosters avenue in morning traffic.

CramCycle wrote: »
    The speedo via GPS would never be used/accepted to determine speed and if it did it is easy to discredit. Mine has spiked at 174 kph while going down Fosters avenue in morning traffic.

Thus making it useless! Works both ways as well. Could be claimed you were speeding, GPS speedo shows you under the limit but other party could discredit that as inaccurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

I've been to busy to upload to this lately, I have a few clips i'll put up over the weekend, here's one from today...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

dickwod1 wrote: »
    I've been to busy to upload to this lately, I have a few clips i'll put up over the weekend, here's one from today...]

I was right about to ask what you're issue was with the Pug driver :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭bladespin

dickwod1 wrote: »
    I've been to busy to upload to this lately, I have a few clips i'll put up over the weekend, here's one from today...

Certainly not the first time I've seen behavior like that around there :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I was behind this car this morning for a good while driving along and couldn't believe what I was seeing - not just when they were stopped at the lights but when they were driving along too. Funny I need a license for my dogs who were in the car with me clipped in with heavy duty harnesses and a bolted in boot guard between them and me but this tool is holding a baby in the middle of the back seat :mad::mad::mad::mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement