Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

A part of a tree fell into the road this evening, just about avoided it but still hit some of it:

About 0:45, quality is poor but it was fairly big, didn't see it til the last second.

The weather is terrible around here, too.

Some not nice sound was there just after you passed it. Any damages?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Hope not, parked a few mins later and ran into the house, was pitch black. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Helmets on kids = good thing

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Not many would have full face helmets either! I'd say that saved her face/teeth at very least :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

biko wrote: »
    Helmets on kids = good thing

Helmets and seatbelts on car occupants also = good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Ah why would you stop shir I'm going slow!
    Nah, it's cause you didn't see me:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Anyone see the luas cam footage on the news just there? How some people made it to adulthood is beyond me

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Anyone see the luas cam footage on the news just there? How some people made it to adulthood is beyond me

Getting mowed down by the biggest thing in the city. It's crazy really! I'm infuriated enough when people step off the kerb when I'm cycling, but infront of a tram!

Getting mowed down by the biggest thing in the city. It's crazy really! I'm infuriated enough when people step off the kerb when I'm cycling, but infront of a tram!

I bet most of them were wearing headphones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

I bet most of them were wearing headphones

I had a guy a couple of weeks ago step off the central island right in front of me as I was leaving the roundabout beside the outlet centre in Killarney. He had a big pair of beats on his head and clearly not from this land. He was looking in totally the wrong direction. I don't know who got scared the most; me or the pensioner still on the island. The dope almost had a big scania badge buried in his head! THATS what spurred me on to get a dash cam. He could have ruined my life if I wasn't good at what I do!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

I had a guy a couple of weeks ago step off the central island right in front of me as I was leaving the roundabout beside the outlet centre in Killarney. He had a big pair of beats on his head and clearly not from this land. He was looking in totally the wrong direction. I don't know who got scared the most; me or the pensioner still on the island. The dope almost had a big scania badge buried in his head! THATS what spurred me on to get a dash cam. He could have ruined my life if I wasn't good at what I do!!!

Similar thing happened me on Monday night, convincing me it's time to get a cam. Had a green light, turning left, when a cyclist:
    With no lights or high viz (it was dark)
    No helmet
    On his phone
    Cycled straight through a red light across my path.

2-3 seconds later, he was brown bread and I'm in a spot of bother.

I look forward to posting vids shortly!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

My observation is that pedestrians in Ireland especially in the cities, don't really care about anything. They cross the road anywhere and anyhow, often without looking. Red light means nothing to them.
    No surprise though, as it's not illegal to jaywalk here, and there are no fines for pedestrians for breaking the rules of the road (f.e. for crossing on red light).
    Even worse - I heard in vast majority of cases accident between vehicle and pedestrian is always driver's fault.

I had a close incident earlier this year. If I was going bit faster, that girl would be knocked down. And the worst it would probably end up as my own fault. Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

cormie wrote: »
    Private
    :confused::confused:

Not mine I just found it on youtube and it isn't private to me! :confused:

Does this work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukWpmPtrqlc&feature=youtu.be

CiniO wrote: »
    My observation is that pedestrians in Ireland especially in the cities, don't really care about anything. They cross the road anywhere and anyhow, often without looking. Red light means nothing to them.
    No surprise though, as it's not illegal to jaywalk here, and there are no fines for pedestrians for breaking the rules of the road (f.e. for crossing on red light).
    Even worse - I heard in vast majority of cases accident between vehicle and pedestrian is always driver's fault.

I had a close incident earlier this year. If I was going bit faster, that girl would be knocked down. And the worst it would probably end up as my own fault. Madness.

yeah you probably came off those lights a little bit smarter than i would have although in fairness back in the day before I had 16 gears under my hand I had the stereo up in my clio 172 and was first everywhere. I came down georges street and made a right turn to a street I forget (I was going to music maker) and some guy from Shanghai nearly met his Buddha as I turned into the side street on the right. Glad I got rid of that death trap. I've bought my family dash cams and fitted them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    :confused::confused:

Not mine I just found it on youtube and it isn't private to me! :confused:

Does this work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukWpmPtrqlc&feature=youtu.be

Yeah, that's working for me. It's incredible how many people walk around like utter zombies - no awareness of themselves or their surroundings.

• Advertisement

yeah you probably came off those lights a little bit smarter than i would have although in fairness back in the day before I had 16 gears under my hand I had the stereo up in my clio 172 and was first everywhere. I came down georges street and made a right turn to a street I forget (I was going to music maker) and some guy from Shanghai nearly met his Buddha as I turned into the side street on the right. Glad I got rid of that death trap. I've bought my family dash cams and fitted them.

At this stage I think I have serious problem with understanding English, as I have absolutely no clue what you wanted to say in this post. :eek:

At this stage I think I have serious problem with understanding English, as I have absolutely no clue what you wanted to say in this post. :eek:

If you go and pick up two bottles of wine from lidl we should be on the same page.
    16 gears = drives a big feck off truck
    Clio 172 = stupid car with 172 brake horses for dopes
    Guy from shanghai = you need to visit Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Just bought a new car and haven't put my dash cam in yet, wish I had, a taxi in front of me sailed through a red that was already red for 4/5 seconds!

Reg - 05 DL 7118

I would have thought taxi drivers would be more careful seeing as they spend all day on the road as well as all of their details being available on the driver check app ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

The fact is that kids, more often young teenagers, are not very aware of the dangers around them as statistics prove. Not just here either. Its the very same in most countries. My lad is getting to this age and it is shocking how ignorant he and his friends are towards traffic. I think they honestly believe it will never happen to them. The days of the green cross code that was drummed into us(me) at school is not being taught anymore.

The fact is that kids, more often young teenagers, are not very aware of the dangers around them as statistics prove. Not just here either. Its the very same in most countries.
    I'd disagree.
    It's not very same in most countries. I see that kind of ignorance just here. Possibly in UK as well. Not on the Continent.
    My lad is getting to this age and it is shocking how ignorant he and his friends are towards traffic. I think they honestly believe it will never happen to them. The days of the green cross code that was drummed into us(me) at school is not being taught anymore.
    And maybe that's the reason for what you said that teenagers are not aware of the dangers around them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

I'd disagree.
    It's not very same in most countries. I see that kind of ignorance just here. Possibly in UK as well. Not on the Continent.

Have you never been to Italy or Spain?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

I'd disagree.

Of course you do. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

And maybe that's the reason for what you said that teenagers are not aware of the dangers around them

Yuppies and hipsters are the biggest offenders, followed by those who must be looking for compo. Teenagers are stupid but I blame the iPhone, if someone has headphones or is looking at a phone, you can be sure they are going to attempt to walk into moving traffic very soon.

Recently while stopped at a red light I had a pedestrian walk into me, she had looked up, straight through me and then tripped over my wheel. Thanks to the protective nature of civilisation, Darwinism is not rooting out the idiocy of some commuters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

The fact is that kids, more often young teenagers, are not very aware of the dangers around them as statistics prove. Not just here either. Its the very same in most countries. My lad is getting to this age and it is shocking how ignorant he and his friends are towards traffic. I think they honestly believe it will never happen to them. The days of the green cross code that was drummed into us(me) at school is not being taught anymore.

Which statistics exactly?

WRT the Safe Cross Code, it is being taught, and imo is misguided in that it attempts to make children entirely responsible for their own safety on the road.

Have a look at this RSA promotional gimmick, and if you can spot a pedestrian crossing facility for children anywhere in the imagery, please let me know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I'd disagree.

To be fair, in Poland I see quite a lot this sort of behaviour. I've had a few close calls where people have tried to cross streets without even looking.
    Pure and utter madness.
    The only country I'd say is the most polite to pedestrians is Belgium.
    It is not just Ireland or possibly the UK that has ignorance, may EU countries do too.
    Try driving in Rome and then you'll know exactly how mad pedestrians can be.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement