Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

CiniO wrote: »
    Are cyclists allowed to overtake on the left, when car is signalling left turn?

So your saying 'he seen the Cyclist'!?
    Well if he did, he's an ignorant fcuk, the Cyclist was to close for him(car)to be an arsehole!?!?.

wonski wrote: »
    How do you pull over if there is a cyclist behind you then? Never?

If someone in front indicates left you shouldn't even try to undertake him.
    Cyclists need to pay attention, too.

Soooooo, if there was a left turn should the taxi have continued with his 'manoeuvere'? regardless of the Cyclist!?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

ardle1 wrote: »
    Soooooo, if there was a left turn should the taxi have continued with his 'manoeuvere'? regardless of the Cyclist!?

You cannot undertake (overtake on the left) vehicle turning left.

Simple.

The cyclist was wrong and did not keep a safe distance between himself and a vehicle in front of him. He also tried to pass it on the inside when it was pulling over and indicating its intention.

Watch it again, please.

Simple.

The cyclist was wrong and did not keep a safe distance between himself and a vehicle in front of him. He also tried to pass it on the inside when it was pulling over and indicating its intention.

Watch it again, please.

No No.. I'm not watching it again, I think they came round the bend at similar speeds and I also think the driver seen the Cyclist... I think the driver was saying to him-self>>'can he not fcukin see me'? anyway as a 'professional' driver he should have let the Cyclist continue on........

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

ardle1 wrote: »
    No No.. I'm not watching it again, I think they came round the bend at similar speeds and I also think the driver seen the Cyclist... I think the driver was saying to him-self>>'can he not fcukin see me'? anyway as a 'professional' driver he should have let the Cyclist continue on........

Why do you use capital C every time you type cyclist btw:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

A cyclist can only undertake in slow moving traffic.

In the video there was no traffic ahead of the taxi therefore the cyclist was attempting an undertake, plain and simple.

He was 2-3 bike lengths behind the taxi when the indicator went on but kept going ahead with the undertake attempt.

If a moped/motorcycle tried that I don't see how anyone could defend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

dey dont even pay road tax Joe!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The taxi driver was aware the cyclist was there. He is driving a considerably larger and heavier vehicle. He decided to have a mickey measuring contest to squeeze the cyclist into the kerb. Nonsense from a grown adult. At least the cyclist has the cop not to carry it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Caliden wrote: »
    A cyclist can only undertake in slow moving traffic.

In the video there was no traffic ahead of the taxi therefore the cyclist was attempting an undertake, plain and simple.

He was 2-3 bike lengths behind the taxi when the indicator went on but kept going ahead with the undertake attempt.

If a moped/motorcycle tried that I don't see how anyone could defend it.

Just for the hell of it - imagine the taxi is doing his driving test!
    Now would he have received a demerit point for his driving?
    I'd be surprised if it wasn't an instant fail!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

CiniO wrote: »
    Are cyclists allowed to overtake on the left, when car is signalling left turn?

Cyclist was at the rear wheel when the indicators came on, if he was a metre further up the road he would not have seen the indicator at all. Great defensive cycling but the taxi driver should have stopped and waited to see what the cyclist was going to do as if the cyclist missed that indicator he would have been crushed.

Also cyclists are allowed overtake on the left, legally, from October 2012.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭glic71rods46t0

CramCycle wrote: »
    Also cyclists are allowed overtake on the left, legally, from October 2012.

But they are specifically prohibited from passing left turning traffic on the left. I love the selective quotes from the pro lycra brigade!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

But they are specifically prohibited from passing left turning traffic on the left. I love the selective quotes from the pro lycra brigade!

That's pretty much everyone, no selective quoting either, the only bit I left out was that traffic had to be slower moving but Physics does not really allow for any other type of overtake. My point was that the taxi only indicated when the cyclists was already at his rear wheel. It was sloppy observation on the taxis part IMO.

I am pro "no idiots or assh*ts on the road", after that I am not really pro anything in regards road use. Lycra, gets really uncomfortable after awhile in the car for me, I decided to leave the eighties behind and either go with trousers or shorts, but everyone to themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

BMJD wrote: »
    dey dont even pay road tax Joe!
    No one does :pac:

I pay motor tax :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭glic71rods46t0

CramCycle wrote: »
    That's pretty much everyone, no selective quoting either, the only bit I left out was that traffic had to be slower moving but Physics does not really allow for any other type of overtake. My point was that the taxi only indicated when the cyclists was already at his rear wheel. It was sloppy observation on the taxis part IMO.

I am pro "no idiots or assh*ts on the road", after that I am not really pro anything in regards road use. Lycra, gets really uncomfortable after awhile in the car for me, I decided to leave the eighties behind and either go with trousers or shorts, but everyone to themselves.
    You mentioned that cyclists are permitted to undertake i.e. pass on the left, since October 2012. You seem to be very pedantic in quoting the law when it suits your pro lycra agenda (in this and other forums). Your omission to mention the specific exclusion of undertaking left turning traffic was, in my opinion, deliberate and self(lycra) serving.
    The rest of your post was, I assume, an attempt at humour - don't give up on that dream of breaking into stand up - never mind what everyone else says, you're hilarious;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

And this thread was going so well........

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Just to get back onto the actual topic before a dashcam cycle version thread is opened, here is my last ditch attempt at providing 10mins of good footage :)

Whoops forgot the link :Dhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oMK3hI-0Fs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

fail

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Why can't this be footage only and seperate for discussion?

edit: this is about the taxi thing

I'm not too sure that pulling up onto the footpath constitutes a "left turn".

In my humble opinion, Mr. Taxi was pulling over and he wasn't going to let Mr. Cyclist get in the way and delay him by about 1.3 seconds. It was discourteous and unnecessarily arseholeish. The sensible thing to do would have been for the taxi to indicate and then stop and let the cyclist decide which course of action to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

attachment.php?attachmentid=382&d=1214037416

I would post a clip from yesterday but I'm at work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

edit: this is about the taxi thing

I'm not too sure that pulling up onto the footpath constitutes a "left turn".

In my humble opinion, Mr. Taxi was pulling over and he wasn't going to let Mr. Cyclist get in the way and delay him by about 1.3 seconds. It was discourteous and unnecessarily arseholeish. The sensible thing to do would have been for the taxi to indicate and then stop and let the cyclist decide which course of action to take.

At the same time it's not exactly smart to attempt to undertake a 1 tonne metal box.

Anyway as others have said, more videos!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

The first one is an example of nearly lethal stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭b318isp

BMW doesn't want to get stuck behind a lorry, so sneaks around the outside...only to find stationary traffic...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfRASQGJF24&feature=youtu.be

b318isp wrote: »
    BMW doesn't want to get stuck behind a lorry, so sneaks around the outside...only to find stationary traffic...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfRASQGJF24&feature=youtu.be

EDIT: Can anyone tell me why the embed doesn't seem to work for me?

you need to remove the "s" from "https://" in the embeddy things, or else just use the youtube ID, which is RfRASQGJF24

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭b318isp

you need to remove the "s" from "https://" in the embeddy things[/YOUTUBE]

Removing the s didn't help, but shortening the URL did. Tnx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

What do you think lads, did I cop it in time?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Nino Brown wrote: »

Should read trois points ;) What was the speedlimit of that road?, according to your carcam GPS you were doing 100km/h or below. May have just escaped, hopefully you did :o

Stinicker wrote: »
    Should read trois points ;) What was the speedlimit of that road?, according to your carcam GPS you were doing 100km/h or below. May have just escaped, hopefully you did :o

It's the N4, so 80kmph is the limit. Three points now? I didn't know that. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,803 ✭✭✭✭josip

Nino Brown wrote: »

I wouldn't be too hopeful.
    I think you braked from 100kph+ 2 and a half lamposts away.
    Which is 125m if I'm not mistaken.
    I've read elsewhere that from 150m you're fair game.

• Advertisement

josip wrote: »
    I wouldn't be too hopeful.
    I think you braked from 100kph+ 2 and a half lamposts away.
    Which is 125m if I'm not mistaken.
    I've read elsewhere that from 150m you're fair game.

Awh, so close, I shouldn't have checked my rear view before braking!!:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement