Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I didnt react sufficiently, didnt brake.
    Saw it coming and just decided to slide around him. Not the best idea in hindsight.
    I probably was driving too fast too.

Either way, he/she ran the stop sign.

Not the best idea but most people would probably have done the same without issue. The problem comes if he keeps pushing out and you end up with your face in a tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Sometimes the best reaction is not to brake.

I've had people swing open their doors while parked on the side of the road requiring serious evasive manoeuvres. Braking would have resulted in new lambo doors for her/him.

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I wasn't going fast, as it was someone pulled out right in front of me and stopped right in front of me and I had to come to a complete stop!

Ah yeah. I was 50:50 whether it was you speeding or just my interpretation on the video. With that hill though, people do tend not to slow down.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭josip

Is it instinct, habit or a situational decision whether drivers brake or swerve in those circumstances?

I think at low speeds I instinctively swerve to avoid, without checking if swerving was going to cause a bigger problem somewhere else.

At higher speeds I think I instinctively brake first, while my brain is trying to work out what to do.

I suppose a dashcam would help me to find out what I actually do and not what I think I do.

What do advanced driver courses recommend?

josip wrote: »
    Is it instinct, habit or a situational decision whether drivers brake or swerve in those circumstances?

I think at low speeds I instinctively swerve to avoid, without checking if swerving was going to cause a bigger problem somewhere else.

At higher speeds I think I instinctively brake first, while my brain is trying to work out what to do.

I suppose a dashcam would help me to find out what I actually do and not what I think I do.

What do advanced driver courses recommend?

If you can stop safely then that is preferred. Swerving can lead you into an unforeseen potential accident a lot faster.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

If you can stop safely then that is preferred. Swerving can lead you into an unforeseen potential accident a lot faster.

It always depends on the situation.
    You're right about swerving, but sometimes it helps.
    Before the motorway, I was approaching Nenagh and was looking forward to the usual half hour of being stuck in traffic.
    I rounded the last corner and was greeted with a wall of cars that had stopped and there was no way I could have stopped.
    I had two choices:
    1: Hop on the brakes and hope for the best
    2: Swerve into the opposite lane, jam on and hope for the best
    I chose 2.
    So, as I see the traffic I slam on and as I was just about to hit the last car, I release the brakes (no ABS in those days), swerve onto other side of the road and slam on again.
    I skidded just over two car lengths. (I think, this is years ago)
    I made the decision because there was no oncoming traffic, otherwise it would have been either crash or run into ditch. I don't remember what the side of the road looked like, so I don't know what I would have done in case of oncoming traffic.
    In that case swerving saved me from a nasty crash, but if any variables had been even slightly different, my course of action would have been different.
    So in the end you just have to assess the situation and make a decision.
    There is no "one fits all" solution.

Before the motorway, I was approaching Nenagh and was looking forward to the usual half hour of being stuck in traffic.
    I rounded the last corner and was greeted with a wall of cars that had stopped and there was no way I could have stopped.
    I had two choices:
    I chose 2.
    So, as I see the traffic I slam on and as I was just about to hit the last car, I release the brakes (no ABS in those days), swerve onto other side of the road and slam on again.
    I made the decision because there was no oncoming traffic, otherwise it would have been either crash or run into ditch. I don't remember what the side of the road looked like, so I don't know what I would have done in case of oncoming traffic.
    In that case swerving saved me from a nasty crash, but if any variables had been even slightly different, my course of action would have been different.

I said "if you can stop safely it is preferred", there obviously isn't a one size fits all solution but you clearly couldn't stop safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

I had two choices:
    I chose 2.

I'm not saying the good Dr. was wrong but just pointing out people could argue that if you rounded a corner and then had to brake and swerve to avoid stopped traffic then you were driving at a speed too fast for the road conditions.

rizzodun wrote: »
    I'm not saying the good Dr. was wrong but just pointing out people could argue that if you rounded a corner and then had to brake and swerve to avoid stopped traffic then you were driving at a speed too fast for the road conditions.

That was definitely the case. Reflexes and luck saved the day from disaster brought on by youthful exuberance and stupidity. I think it was the 90's. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

That was definitely the case. Reflexes and luck saved the day from disaster brought on by youthful exuberance and stupidity. I think it was the 90's. :o

We've all been there, some of us probably still are!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

wow.

a8dg3qy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Do you think the guy in white was wearing his seatbelt?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Good driving from the guy with the cam!

edit/ looking back, I cant see the guy with the cams breaking point... did he slow down as much as he could? maybe an advanced driver and didn't want to go into a skid...

Good example of when swerving is definitely the worse option.
    And also a good reason why more extreme driver training is required.
    Both drivers swerve far too violently and lose control, showing that they have absolutely no idea how to handle a car that's on or over the limit.
    The current system goes the other way, teach everyone to drive like grannies and when the sh*t hits the fan, they're completely lost. That and blind faith in ABS, ESP and other driving aids. People just jerk the wheel, jump on the brakes and pray with their eyes closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

jameshayes wrote: »

edit/ looking back, I cant see the guy with the cams breaking point... did he slow down as much as he could? maybe an advanced driver and didn't want to go into a skid...
    Can't agree with that. His braking was late and he went into a closing gap to his right instead of heading for the opening gap to his left. These are things a good driver will do by pure instinct.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Didn't look like he attempted to brake at all. Good driving but he shouldn't have even been in that situation if he just braked.

Same thing applies to the black car, if they braked instead of swerved it wouldn't have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Gosub wrote: »
    Can't agree with that. His braking was late and he went into a closing gap to his right instead of heading for the opening gap to his left. These are things a good driver will do by pure instinct.

there would have been no reason he would consider going left, the white car looked like it was staying left, only bounced right after 3 rolls

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

there would have been no reason he would consider going left, the white car looked like it was staying left, only bounced right after 3 rolls

But they were already swerving left trying to avoid the black car so they had to swerve right to avoid the white car. They had tunnel vision as that gap was clear a second earlier.

Easier in hindsight anyway when we can look at the gif a few times to find the openings but they definitely should've slowed down

it was a completely silly and avoidable accident.
    The white car started to drift over to the left.
    Black car loses his sh*t, jams on and swerves violently, if you look closely you can see him hitting the white car's rear quarter. Classic pit manoeuvre.
    Both cars don't stand a chance after that.
    I would almost blame the black car more for the accident, because he was obviously not paying attention, saw what the white car did too late, panicked and completely overreacted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

The way I see it, he was going left to avoid the black car. When he was still going left the white car's direction was clearly towards the right.

If it were me in the camera car I would have definitely kept going left. But in the country the vid was taken (USA?) clearly dramatic swerves are the way to go, so the camera car changed direction to swerve the other way.:)

• Advertisement

Camcar was way too late on the brake. She had a few seconds warning before the metal started flying around in front of her and wasn't prepared.

Choosing to swerve right may actaully have been the better option, even if it was a closing gap. Zero chance of being tail ended due to the black car blocking the lane. No such guarantee of she went left. She probably had no idea what was going on behind her, since she didn't even know what was happening in front of her. Probably giving her too much credit for the decision.

It looks to me like the driver of the white car fell asleep.
    There was nothing in front of him and he had no reason to move left.
    What a way to wake up, assuming he ever did.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

Camcar was way too late on the brake. She had a few seconds warning before the metal started flying around in front of her and wasn't prepared.

She?

12 element wrote: »
    She?

So after 6 posts referring to the driver of the camcar as male, you picked up on the first post that referred to the driver as female?
    Have I missed something from the gif that confirmed the driver was male?

Caliden wrote: »
    Didn't look like he attempted to brake at all. Good driving but he shouldn't have even been in that situation if he just braked.

Same thing applies to the black car, if they braked instead of swerved it wouldn't have happened.
    it was a completely silly and avoidable accident.
    The white car started to drift over to the left.
    Black car loses his sh*t, jams on and swerves violently, if you look closely you can see him hitting the white car's rear quarter. Classic pit manoeuvre.
    Both cars don't stand a chance after that.
    I would almost blame the black car more for the accident, because he was obviously not paying attention, saw what the white car did too late, panicked and completely overreacted.
    The way I see it, he was going left to avoid the black car. When he was still going left the white car's direction was clearly towards the right.

If it were me in the camera car I would have definitely kept going left. But in the country the vid was taken (USA?) clearly dramatic swerves are the way to go, so the camera car changed direction to swerve the other way.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

So after 6 posts referring to the driver of the camcar as male, you picked up on the first post that referred to the driver as female?
    Have I missed something from the gif that confirmed the driver was male?

Ha, I guess I walked into that one!

Holy Jebus, take it easy 'non-gender specific form of address'. Does it matter a feck what sex the driver was?

Holy Jebus, take it easy 'non-gender specific form of address'. Does it matter a feck what sex the driver was?

Wouldn't be Boards if one innocently typed word didn't lead to a 6 page argument.

Wouldn't be Boards if one innocently typed word didn't lead to a 6 page argument.

Are you saying I am arguing? I am offended at that comment :mad:

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Mick55

Traffic slightly heavier than usual on the Finglas slip road M50(N) this morning... To the hard shoulder!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

The amount of money the police would make on that video alone is impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭greenflash

Lanes 2 & 3 bumper to bumper with loads of room in lane 1. Decent drivers forced to pass on the left! That's my M50. Just needs an Audi getting as far up the queue as possible before doing a dirty dart from lane 2 across the cross hatching to take the exit, leaving no one in any doubt that the driver is loaded and very important.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement