Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Mick55

Caliden wrote: »
    Don't see what they're doing wrong to be honest. They're on the correct side of the road wearing visi-vests and running in the hard shoulder (which looks to be really wide)
    bear1 wrote: »
    If it was a motorway/dual carriageway I would agree with you OP but it's a normal road which doesn't look busy. They are wearing Hi-vis jackets, are within the hard shoulder and further more they are walking against the flow of traffic which means they always see the cars coming.
    Perfectly ok for me.

I know, it is a quiet enough road and in fairness they were out well after rush hour. There is just something about it that would worry me awfully if I had kids. Again don't get me wrong not trying to put a dampener on what they're doing, just my opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Mick55 wrote: »
    I know, it is a quiet enough road and in fairness they were out well after rush hour. There is just something about it that would worry me awfully if I had kids. Again don't get me wrong not trying to put a dampener on what they're doing, just my opinion!

I wouldn't bring my kids out on it either to be honest. They are perfectly entitled to as said above but I wouldn't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭josip

My bigger concern would be why they have kids running on tarmac at that age. Kids should be running on grass when they're younger and their feet are still developing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I don't know the area, and I can't see much on Google Maps/StreetView, but my impression is that the "planners" have provided little in the way of safe and conducive walking routes in and around Dunboyne.

When driving on rural roads I often encounter joggers, walkers and children on bikes. Recently, while en route to Cork, I saw a girl aged about 8 or 9 walking along a narrow N-road where there was no hard shoulder. All she appeared to be doing was walking from her house to a neighbour's, or perhaps going home after a visit. It was dangerous and unpleasant, but what was her alternative? Depend on her parents to drive her a couple of hundred metres up the road? Climb over fences, walls and ditches? Stay at home and watch TV?

This is the way we organise things in this country. Ribbon development, roads without footpaths, car-dependent 'suburbs' in the country, and bureaucrats washing their hands of institutional responsibility for road safety (hence all the 'hivisteria').

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    I don't know the area, and I can't see much on Google Maps/StreetView, but my impression is that the "planners" have provided little in the way of safe and conducive walking routes in and around Dunboyne.

When driving on rural roads I often encounter joggers, walkers and children on bikes. Recently, while en route to Cork, I saw a girl aged about 8 or 9 walking along a narrow N-road where there was no hard shoulder. All she appeared to be doing was walking from her house to a neighbour's, or perhaps going home after a visit. It was dangerous and unpleasant, but what was her alternative? Depend on her parents to drive her a couple of hundred metres up the road? Climb over fences, walls and ditches? Stay at home and watch TV?

This is the way we organise things in this country. Ribbon development, roads without footpaths, car-dependent 'suburbs' in the country, and bureaucrats washing their hands of institutional responsibility for road safety (hence all the 'hivisteria').

I absolutely and totally agree with this 100%, at some stage in the history of this country it was decided that cars, bikes, people, dogs, horses, cars, trucks and farm machinery are to share the same roadspace, often barely wide enough to accommodate one car, nevermind all the above.
    How 20 people aren't killed every day is nothing but a miracle.
    Motorways have helped, but this hasn't made backroads any safer.

• Advertisement

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Motorways have helped, but this hasn't made backroads any safer.

Very true, I see this on the back roads regularly. Its the volume of traffic on the roads and the speed of the traffic compared to years ago that makes it so much more dangerous. Lots of these roads are commuter routes also, I live on a little back road that that provides a link to two secondary roads and at rush hours there is a huge volume of through traffic and as always with that comes the speeding, corner cutting idiots. I wouldn't dream of going for a stroll on my road. Which is frustrating as the only alternative it leaves me is to hop in the car and drive into the Phoenix park or somewhere else I can park and walk.

EDIT: I'll remove the video later, I don't want it have any negative affect on community projects like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

A new compilation from Polish roads

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

This is supposedly a 'crash-for-cash scam uncovered' by Aviva UK, but IMO it just looks as if the first car realised too late it was the exit they needed, the second car jammed on as it had nowhere to go , and the van/hgv with the video was driving too close :confused:

http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2014/04/23/caught-on-camera-the-crooks-who-caused-a-crash-to-rip-off-us-all/

Could it be the insurance co's are trying new tactics to avoid paying out by insinuating that rear enders are now the fault of the front car rather than the usual rear car for being too close. :mad:

Capri wrote: »
    This is supposedly a 'crash-for-cash scam uncovered' by Aviva UK, but IMO it just looks as if the first car realised too late it was the exit they needed, the second car jammed on as it had nowhere to go , and the van/hgv with the video was driving too close :confused:

http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2014/04/23/caught-on-camera-the-crooks-who-caused-a-crash-to-rip-off-us-all/

Could it be the insurance co's are trying new tactics to avoid paying out by insinuating that rear enders are now the fault of the front car rather than the usual rear car for being too close. :mad:
    That incident went to court and they were convicted.
    The shock scenes – see video below – were taken from the victim’s car and used in court to help convict the criminals.
    The two cars involved came to a complete stop, that wouldn't happen is a normal late turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭pauld

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

pauld wrote: »

Her reg is very clear - I'd give that to the gardaí.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Why do people have a problem with just missing a turn, driving to the next exit and doubling back? I've done it a few times in the past, 10-15 mins won't change the world, I've always got where I've wanted to go. Plus, she's possibly a learner driver, unaccompanied, manoeuvres like this are why the law requires learners to be accompanied.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

rizzodun wrote: »
    this are why the law requires learners to be accompanied.

You mean this is why the law bans learner drivers from motorways. I always wonder what would happen in the case of an accident with a learner on a motorway like in that clip. Technically they shouldn't be there and if they obeyed the law the accident wouldn't have happened.

gutteruu wrote: »
    You mean this is why the law bans learner drivers from motorways. I always wonder what would happen in the case of an accident with a learner on a motorway like in that clip. Technically they shouldn't be there and if they obeyed the law the accident wouldn't have happened.

Wasn't this a section of the N7 and not the M7? Therefore L drivers are allowed (once accompanied by a fully licensed driver of two years as per the law) which this person wasn't I might add.

I don't know this road so going off the title...

you are correct it was the N7

Thoie wrote: »
    Her reg is very clear - I'd give that to the gardaí.
    Just email them a link to the video and let them take it from there (if they're bothered!).

Just email them a link to the video and let them take it from there (if they're bothered!).

Wouldn't it be worthwhile for the Gardai to request videos uploaded would be tagged with with a certain keyword that would allow them to filter them and they could decide whether any were worth taking further? I don't think it'd take too much manpower, if the case was clear cut, and the reg visible, rip the video and contact car owner, if not, move on, they'd still get a few people a week I'd bet.

Only problem with the video is that the timestamp is 1 hour behind. Not changed to reflect BST

Only problem with the video is that the timestamp is 1 hour behind. Not changed to reflect BST
    No, GMT is acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,936 ✭✭✭✭flazio

rizzodun wrote: »
    Why do people have a problem with just missing a turn, driving to the next exit and doubling back? I've done it a few times in the past, 10-15 mins won't change the world, I've always got where I've wanted to go. Plus, she's possibly a learner driver, unaccompanied, manoeuvres like this are why the law requires learners to be accompanied.

Not condoning the actions for one second but it happens a bit on last exits before tolls or last exits before large distances, e.g Exit 13 Westbound N/M6 Next exit Ballinasloe east is 15 mins down the road if you keep to 120km/h, another 15mins back and you've wasted 30 mins. A sneaky double back might be tempting for some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Lawless2k12

Vid from the other day. Woman is on her mobile phone only days after the whole mobile phone operation by Gardaí... ends up cutting across the junction because she can't steer sharply enough with one hand. Wish she'd clipped me now because I'd have called the guards straight away to show them the evidence. The video isn't as clear her but you can still make out that she's on her phone if you pause it correctly although I'm sure it could be said she was scratching her ear. On original video you can just about make out a black object in her hand though...

flazio wrote: »
    Not condoning the actions for one second but it happens a bit on last exits before tolls or last exits before large distances, e.g Exit 13 Westbound N/M6 Next exit Ballinasloe east is 15 mins down the road if you keep to 120km/h, another 15mins back and you've wasted 30 mins. A sneaky double back might be tempting for some.

Fair enough, but I'd rather keep my back window, besides, while it has happened to me before I must say it hasn't in a long while, learning from my mistakes and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

too busy hogging the overtaking lane with no traffic ahead to notice her exit... what a moron. at least if she was in the left lane she would have only needed to cut across the hatchings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Vid from the other day. Woman is on her mobile phone The video isn't as clear her but you can still make out that she's on her phone if you pause it correctly

The camera may not have or be running at optimum resolution, if you have not tried the free software 'RegistratorViewer' give it a try.

I can snatch high resolution stills from my DC in terrifying quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

If you set the youtube vid to HD you can see the oul bat is flat out on the phone . Even worse , she did not even acknowledge that see just cut you up.

We all make mistakes on the road, but the ability to apologise with a wave is golden.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Vid from the other day. Woman is on her mobile phone only days after the whole mobile phone operation by Gardaí... ends up cutting across the junction because she can't steer sharply enough with one hand. Wish she'd clipped me now because I'd have called the guards straight away to show them the evidence. The video isn't as clear her but you can still make out that she's on her phone if you pause it correctly although I'm sure it could be said she was scratching her ear. On original video you can just about make out a black object in her hand though...

http://i.imgur.com/nyJltkx.png

She's a fine lookin woman as well, swit swoo

Youtube's compression could be to blame for the crap quality. Car reg can't be made out but it's 98/99 D for sure.

No, GMT is acceptable.

Something I was wondering actually, my cam resets itself every time I power it up. The date always reverts to 12.00 01/01/2011 ( too much hassle to reprogram every turn of the key ).

Would this negate any footage of a crash or incident if the wrong time and date was stamped on it? Surely if a big white transit crashes into you and you have a video of a big white transit crashing into you that should be usable in a claim/ prosecution?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Something I was wondering actually, my cam resets itself every time I power it up. The date always reverts to 12.00 01/01/2011 ( too much hassle to reprogram every turn of the key ).

Would this negate any footage of a crash or incident if the wrong time and date was stamped on it? Surely if a big white transit crashes into you and you have a video of a big white transit crashing into you that should be usable in a claim/ prosecution?

I was wondering the other way round.
    How can we trust any date on any footage?
    If it is possible to just change it, I can get it to say any date I want?
    This now means we have to rely on the person who programmed it.
    That to me would suggest that the date is nothing more than a vague suggestion on the footage and not proof of anything.

Would this negate any footage of a crash or incident if the wrong time and date was stamped on it?

They are not forensically secure devices. For digital imagery to be accepted as evidence they need to be forensically captured, that means a recording that cannot be tampered with.

Digital still cameras had to have special cards and software installed on them as example.

That said, a judge will take the evidence as bona fida, and insurance companies tend to accept the evidence from the cameras.

Re your resetting, you may need to put a .txt file on your root directory with the correct date and time on it, your manual should guide you. Failing that it is probably a fault, but that may make it less credible as evidence.

However, all that will only be an aid to the police report on the incident anyway! So I'd not worry too much about it and start saving a few shillings for better model in the near future perhaps.

• Advertisement

I was wondering the other way round.
    How can we trust any date on any footage?.

They are not forensic devices.

To assist in that I use a GPS device which will have a date and time from the satellite, so one can match up later.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement