Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

Apt sign:

305037.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

josip wrote: »
    [...] The problem with the phone is that the other person isn't aware of what's happening, and will continue to converse when the driver is in difficult driving situations. Unlike a passenger who will know to shut up.

[...]

Most of wives won't. :p

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭deandean

Boy racer overcooking it!

Niiiccccee

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Someone needs more lessons!

First impressions tell me, Slow down going through my village would ya!

Tis an bad auld spot for cars coming out of "nowhere" crashes. Busy shop, T-junction, drivers not slowing coming down the hill into the village.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

sogood wrote: »
    Inexcusable, inconsiderate, brainless, reckless stupidity. And some people wonder/ complain about their insurance premiums being so high!

+10 points for style though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Sobanek wrote: »
    +10 points for style though.

-20 points for being a moron though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Mick55 wrote: »
    Arctic truck nearly crushes car N3/ M50 interchange this morning. Fails to see car in blind spot and nearly pins it between truck and wall. Baby seat in car.

Truck belongs to: Express Distribution Services, Co. Armagh.
    http://www.expressdistributionservices.co.uk/home

Why is video dated Xmas day 2011?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Mick55

ardmacha wrote: »
    Why is video dated Xmas day 2011?

It resets every time I power up, too much hassle to reprogram time/date every turn of the key.

I've been told I may need to ''put a .txt file on the root directory with the correct date and time on it''

First impressions tell me, Slow down going through my village would ya!

Tis an bad auld spot for cars coming out of "nowhere" crashes. Busy shop, T-junction, drivers not slowing coming down the hill into the village.
    I wasn't going fast, as it was someone pulled out right in front of me and stopped right in front of me and I had to come to a complete stop!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Mick55 wrote: »
    It resets every time I power up, too much hassle to reprogram time/date every turn of the key.

I've been told I may need to ''put a .txt file on the root directory with the correct date and time on it''

The camera will give the impression of a higher speed rather than the actual speed the OP is doing.
    Best way around that is to find a camera which displays speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

bear1 wrote: »
    The camera will give the impression of a higher speed rather than the actual speed the OP is doing.
    Best way around that is to find a camera which displays speed.

I have not seen that, what I have seen is speed showing in a software programme.

Also GPS will be either up to 10 MPH higher or lower than the speedometer.

They are only consumer devices, they won't have military grade services.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

You can get a bluetooth adapter for <10 euro and hook it into your cars diagnostics, which include speed and braking etc and then link it to a phone app. Most cars that are <20 years old will have the required port

Red Nissan wrote: »
    I have not seen that, what I have seen is speed showing in a software programme.

I often find that the video looks faster than the actual journey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

I often find that the video looks faster than the actual journey.

No doubt about it, I don't know how many hours I spent, wasted ? watching the playback on PC ~ the accompanying map is also so intriguing. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

GPS is probably more accurate because it doesn't require the offset to allow for tyre variations. Mine usually reads about 3mph higher than the speedo at 70mph.
    The problem with dashcams that display speed is lag, watch this video, the dashcam speed lags my actual speed, It still reads 40kmph when I'm stopped for about a second.

Bio Mech wrote: »
    -20 points for being a moron though

I don't get why Irish people always comment on foreign videos like this saying "wow, that was skillfull / cool", yet when this happens on their roads they're suddenly so defensive and calling people idiots and morons :confused:

I don't get why Irish people always comment on foreign videos like this saying "wow, that was skillfull / cool", yet when this happens on their roads they're suddenly so defensive and calling people idiots and morons :confused:
    I think that you'll find that most people will call them twats when they act like that on the public roads regardless of where they are.

On a track (off the public highway), well that's a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭josip

I think it was dangerous, irresponsible, selfish driving on a public road where other lives were at risk, not just their own.

Does she overcook it tho?
    From looking at the front wheels, she doesn't overcorrect and lose control like an inexperienced driver would have.
    She straightens the wheels, car comes back into line, seems to keep the power on all the way through.
    It looks to me like it was intentional and not the firrst time she's done that.
    What kind of car was it? Skyline?
    Rear wheel drive?

Agree with nice style comment, just not on public roads thanks.

Definitely don't encourage this kind of behaviour from this video and from any other videos like this, but I gotta admit it looked clean.

• Advertisement

Skyline skidding was the business. Looked deadly.

Would've looked even better with a bit more drag from the back wheels, and an articulated truck coming and taking the car clean off the road.

Have absolutely no sympathy for such complete and utter fcuking morons. A few broken bones would do them no harm. Wasnt that long ago we were looking at that video in the UK were your man was racing his friend and killed himself losing control of the car and hitting a pylon/wall.

How much sense do you need. I'd get that video on to the Gardai as soon as possible if you can get any identifiable info at all from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Skyline skidding was the business. Looked deadly.

Would've looked even better with a bit more drag from the back wheels, and an articulated truck coming and taking the car clean off the road.

Have absolutely no sympathy for such complete and utter fcuking morons. A few broken bones would do them no harm. Wasnt that long ago we were looking at that video in the UK were your man was racing his friend and killed himself losing control of the car and hitting a pylon/wall.

How much sense do you need. I'd get that video on to the Gardai as soon as possible if you can get any identifiable info at all from it.

The biggest issue with skyline driver was that he's done that on public road in direct presence of other road users.
    Has he done that on empty public road with no one around, there'd be no issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 dashcam5586

I didnt react sufficiently, didnt brake.
    Saw it coming and just decided to slide around him. Not the best idea in hindsight.
    I probably was driving too fast too.

Either way, he/she ran the stop sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Definitely don't encourage this kind of behaviour from this video and from any other videos like this, but I gotta admit it looked clean.

Gotta admit I would be in favour of an 5 year ban for driving like a retard, for risking other people's lives, to look cool into front of an impressionable gob****e in the passenger seat.
    131spanner wrote: »
    It's always the guy in the white peaked cap... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Saw it coming and just decided to slide around him. Not the best idea in hindsight.

I did not think you were going to fast. Was it an 80 road?
    I probably would have done the same as there was no one turning right and you had an escape route available which did not require you to make the car unstable by braking heavy in the wet.

100% their fault.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Looks like coming into Ballyhale?

Maybe not the best idea but he was def 100% in the wrong, I've seen cars doing that a fair bit on that junction....seriously annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Looks like he well overcooked it to me. Coming off a corner/roundabout with limited visibility on what looks like a busy road, during the day. He drifted way too far over into the oncoming lane and if the OP was another half a second further on it could have been a very nasty head on.

What country it is in doesn't sway me either way.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

CiniO wrote: »
    The biggest issue with skyline driver was that he's done that on public road in direct presence of other road users.
    Has he done that on empty public road with no one around, there'd be no issue.

Thats the thing,
    Unless there are people watching all the junctions and telling him the road is empty there's no way what he is doing is 100% safe for other road users.

If he wants to do crap like that let him go into a private course

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Would have done the exact same thing and in them olden days when I was on the road every day with added "beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepppppppppp!!!!" whilst flying past them with about an inch to spare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

I find GPS to be very accurate. I have used a few over the last few years while driving trucks and gps was always within 1 or 2 K,s of the tacho which is accurate unlike a car speedo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement