Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Small one from this morning,

Both trying to save a few seconds.
    I beeped my horn a bit too late to help.
    Surprised guy on bike didn't look left as lots of motorbikes and cyclists pass me on the right every day.

I cycle that road every morning, probably pass you often!

And I made the same mistake this morning as the moped. Very easy one to make in such a scenario, I copped it a split second after committing to the turn, and stopped. Silly maneuver for the car to make also however.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Mick55

This morning on the N3/ M50 north slip road. Chap in the Insignia had to brake to avoid her, in fairness to him he didn't blast her out of it or anything. Funny thing after all this she pulls back in behind me and joins the M50!

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Chippy01

fullstop wrote: »
    That's ridiculous. Did you get reg?

No, it all happened so quick. If the sun was in a different spot I might have had a better chance of pulling it off the vid, but as it is I can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

Truck fire on M50 slip road to M1. Happened about an hour ago. (timestamp was not clock forwarded for summer time)
    First one is from dashcam, 2nd one is from phone when stopped and yes I didn't hold the phone right to video those few seconds, its new. Had to stop recording as I was being waved on.

Pic attached

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Both trying to save a few seconds.
    I beeped my horn a bit too late to help.
    Surprised guy on bike didn't look left as lots of motorbikes and cyclists pass me on the right every day.

There is a clearly visible no right turn sign also. CRAZY!!
    Edit - Or is that only during certain times? Can't read sign fully and not familiar with that road...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

@moxin fantastic quality from that dash cam. What is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

kingtut wrote: »
    There is a clearly visible no right turn sign also. CRAZY!!
    Edit - Or is that only during certain times? Can't read sign fully and not familiar with that road...

I've taken a look at a later bit of the footage and the sign says,
    No Right Turn (symbol)
    Except Buses,
    Mon-Sat
    07:00 - 10:00

So it would be in effect alright.

But I actually think that sign is in a pretty crap position.
    They should move it to the pole which is on the corner the car is turning right at. Thats where your eye would be looking so it should be impossible to miss.

The car might not have seen the sign since they had moved to the centre of the road and were pretty close to the van. But thats giving them the benefit of the doubt.

The location is the east wall road,
    Heres a street view of the location, you'd be lucky seeing any road signs when the local elections were on.
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.358626,-6.235505,3a,75y,114.06h,87.43t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s9eohKNcjjSY4ZvY32_uzrQ!2e0

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

Davy wrote: »

Your bonnet intrigues me, what are you driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Kaiser D wrote: »

Its either a boat or he is reversing everywhere in an MR2

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭dantastic

Kaiser D wrote: »

That's a Land Rover Defender. Ex ESB judging by the colour...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Philush

van driver is determined to make his exit, round 20 seconds in, ahead of the truck

• Registered Users Posts: 13,709 ✭✭✭✭josip

Philush wrote: »
    van driver is determined to make his exit, round 20 seconds in, ahead of the truck

Very good anticipation on your part to have placed yourself in the outside lane 20 seconds beforehand to avoid the potential pile up in the inside lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

You have a lovely singing voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Just go get this crap out of the way, OP pretty soon you will be asked why you were in the overtaking lane blah blah blah.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Philush

Knowing that you're right;

I was in the over taking lane because, previous to this clip i was over taking three artics which had been travelling in close proximity.

Also to anyone familiar with this stretch of road by Ballincollig, will know that there are three exits to Ballincollig in quick succession, and also three on ramps.

On this stretch of road, owing to the volume of traffic using the off ramps there is frequently tailbacks reaching the carriageway and continuing along them, thus creating stopped and slow moving traffic in the inside lane.

Also on top of this there is the three on ramps, and all to frequently people under the assumption that they have right of way, merge directly onto the carriageway expecting you to move and be in the outside lane.

Therefore along this stretch where there is visible traffic i stay in the outside lane avoiding such problems and potential crashes and close calls by weaving in and out of the overtaking lane.

I was traveling at 120 kmph, and did not hold up any faster moving traffic, moving back to the left hand lane well in advance of anyone nearing my bumper.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I think that's the closest call I've seen on here for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

Knowing that you're right;

I was in the over taking lane because, previous to this clip i was over taking three artics which had been travelling in close proximity.

Also to anyone familiar with this stretch of road by Ballincollig, will know that there are three exits to Ballincollig in quick succession, and also three on ramps.

On this stretch of road, owing to the volume of traffic using the off ramps there is frequently tailbacks reaching the carriageway and continuing along them, thus creating stopped and slow moving traffic in the inside lane.

Also on top of this there is the three on ramps, and all to frequently people under the assumption that they have right of way, merge directly onto the carriageway expecting you to move and be in the outside lane.

Therefore along this stretch where there is visible traffic i stay in the outside lane avoiding such problems and potential crashes and close calls by weaving in and out of the overtaking lane.

I was traveling at 120 kmph, and did not hold up any faster moving traffic, moving back to the left hand lane well in advance of anyone nearing my bumper.

:)
    None of that matters, the high horse brigade will be down on you like a ton of bricks. True, they weren't in the car with you and aren't fully au fait with the circumstances etc. but they'll have a go at you anyway. See my most recent post to see the amount of criticism I got, while the speeding, lane crossing, undertaking, lane crossing again driver and the blind Garda car driver went unnoticed. C'est la vie!

But well done regardless and thanks for posting. That is, after all, the purpose of this thread.

sogood wrote: »
    None of that matters, the high horse brigade will be down on you like a ton of bricks. True, they weren't in the car with you and aren't fully au fait with the circumstances etc. but they'll have a go at you anyway. See my most recent post to see the amount of criticism I got, while the speeding, lane crossing, undertaking, lane crossing again driver and the blind Garda car driver went unnoticed. C'est la vie!

But well done regardless and thanks for posting. That is, after all, the purpose of this thread.

You posted a video of you blocking middle lane causing someone to have to swerve, then moaned about cops sitting in middle lane. You were in the wrong! Simple! Its not overly complicated. You were simply wrong. Same as he is for blocking overtaking lane.

We are all used to idiots blocking lanes all day every day, but its when you come on here trying to justify it and calling us "high horse brigade" etc that we have sweet FA time for you.

We all post videos by the way so enough of that ****e aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Philush stayed in overtaking lane for 15 seconds. Assuming before video starts he just finished overtaking someone, and there was no one behind him willing to go faster, there's nothing wrong with it.
    You were in middle lane for 40 seconds for no reason.
    This makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

gutteruu wrote: »
    You posted a video of you blocking middle lane causing someone to have to swerve, then moaned about cops sitting in middle lane. You were in the wrong! Simple! Its not overly complicated. You were simply wrong. Same as he is for blocking overtaking lane.

We are all used to idiots blocking lanes all day every day, but its when you come on here trying to justify it and calling us "high horse brigade" etc that we have sweet FA time for you.

We all post videos by the way so enough of that ****e aswell.

I was driving at 100 kph, the max permitted speed. I stayed in my lane, with nothing behind me, so, not blocking anyone. Speeder passed me on the outside lane, travelling well in excess of max permitted speed. This wasn't good enough for the speeder, so he crossed 3 lanes, undertook, crossed back out over 3 lanes and continued speeding away into the distance. So, apparently, all of the other traffic ahead of me was blocking lanes also? This is why the speeder "swerved" all over the road? Cops ignored his undertaking etc., simples. True, I could have, and in law, should have moved over to the inside lane, but with a slip road approaching and traffic joining the road, I stayed out of the way of the impending congestion. Had I moved in, I would have had to move out again, to facilitate the traffic merging. This is after all, a standard practice. No doubt then I would have been accused of weaving all over the road! I give up and stand by what I said. I enjoy watching the videos, good bad or indifferent. but genuinely suggest that a separate thread should be set up for all the experts and critics out there.

Ok, this is my last time to explain.
    I was driving at 100 kph, the max permitted speed. I stayed in my lane, with nothing behind me, so, not blocking anyone.

Doesn't matter. Its an overtaking lane. Not a 'I'm doing the speed limit lane'
    This wasn't good enough for the speeder, so he crossed 3 lanes, undertook, crossed back out over 3 lanes and continued speeding away into the distance. So, apparently, all of the other traffic ahead of me was blocking lanes also?

Yes. Hogging middle lane. His only way past is to weave through lanes as you are blocking them all. He is clearly wrong, but because you are all blocking lanes, there is no overtaking lane anymore. It's now the "lets sit behind 'sogood' until he is willing to let me get where I am going" lane.
    True, I could have, and in law, should have moved over to the inside lane, but ....Had I moved in, I would have had to move out again, to facilitate the traffic merging.

I know its an awful inconvenience having to move in and out with your steering wheel, but unfortunetely thats how roads and traffic are 'suppose' to work.

If your not overtaking, your in the wrong lane. Thats all anyone is saying. This whole argument is because you think you are right to be driving wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

lucky jack russell lives to see another day, around 37 seconds in. id say if i was going 5/10kph more it would have ended badly

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

The tosser at 0.10 seconds though... btw Barra, all your fault imo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

Maybe I should have just left overly eager out at 10 seconds! Perhaps...!

The look on the Jack Russell's two friends when they saw what nearly happened is good :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

This clown in the grey car passed me today at high speed, as I was doing the max 100kph speed limit. He then crossed several lanes and undertook cars, using the inside lane,

http://youtu.be/z4RCVwnoRx0

The high horse brigade need a trip to Cork, the comments about the video here are getting ridiculous, I know this road well I worked on one side and lived on the other, so I drove it everyday, the lights at the roundabout below this flyover releases 2 lanes of traffic which have a fairly short journey to merge at 100km/h, needless to say this leads to people trying to merge at anywhere between 60-120km/h, nobody drives down the left here,
    A few hundred metres beyond where the video ends the left lane turns off to Douglas and then it turns back into 2 lanes until after the Jack lynch tunnel,
    One incident when I was in the left lane here resulted in a learner panicking when I slowed to let her merge she swerved at me then hit the brakes, I sped up a bit she then swerved across all the hatching back towards the hard shoulder,
    A little bit of local knowledge will go a longer way to prevent an accident than looking at rules trying to cover every road in the country,
    And this is from a person who spends his time on the N7 in the left lane with only Stobart trucks around me while every one cruises down the middle lane,
    And I have just been in Australia where at every junction everyone moves to the outside lane, let's everyone merge then everyone moves back to the left, so if the high horse brigade head over and drive only in the left lane they will cause mayhem!

Edit short version: sogood is correct, it's sensible to leave room at this busy merge, common sense wins and the left lane ends in about 500metres anyway

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement