Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Driver tries to escape Barry White...Gardai uphold the law.

An elderly driver thinking it was a one way street? looks a terrible mistake to make.

Also was that the radio or a barry white CD? Your credibility is on the line here. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Thank Christ he's gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

The problem with DRLs: I met this one a few minutes before this clip, two cars had flashed her from behind but she's probably still wondering why :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭metroburgers

Bio Mech wrote: »
    Also was that the radio or a barry white CD? Your credibility is on the line here. :)

Just me singing with a backing track... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭AfterDusk

There appears to be a trend with Volkswagen UP drivers here this morning :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

The problem with DRLs: I met this one a few minutes before this clip, two cars had flashed her from behind but she's probably still wondering why

I have noticed this trend a lot lately. The drl's are so powerful ppl forget to turn on their lights. It should be mandatory that cars with drl's be fitted with auto lights from the factory.

The problem with DRLs: I met this one a few minutes before this clip, two cars had flashed her from behind but she's probably still wondering why

I have noticed this trend a lot lately. The drl's are so powerful ppl forget to turn on their lights. It should be mandatory that cars with drl's be fitted with auto lights from the factory.
    I believe that all factory fitted DRLs either dim or switch off when the main lights are on, the problem is with the retrofit systems.

Many are simply wired into the accessory circuit and stay on whenever the key is in the ignition, when I installed DRLs on my car I also fitted a relay that switches them off when the headlights are on. Something that really should be mandatory .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭ofcork

I pointed this out before that now cars have drls that some drivers are forgetting to turn on their lights.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Are auto lights not standard on everything now? At least on cars that have drl?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

C'mon.. "obvious troll is obvious", is that not the saying? :rolleyes:

My bad :o , I just gave the fuse in my troll detector a wiggle,should be good now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

gallag wrote: »
    Are auto lights not standard on everything now? At least on cars that have drl?
    I believe that all factory fitted DRLs either dim or switch off when the main lights are on, the problem is with the retrofit systems.

Many are simply wired into the accessory circuit and stay on whenever the key is in the ignition, when I installed DRLs on my car I also fitted a relay that switches them off when the headlights are on. Something that really should be mandatory .

Don't want to drag the thread off on a tangent but Gallag,no not all cars with drl's have auto lights,
    And dolanbaker it's the fact that ppl forget to turn on the lights that's the problem. They have lights on as far as they're concerned but they forget about the back of their cars.:eek:

Well I don't know about everyone else's cars, but in my 2004 Toyota Rav4, my older 2000 Ford Focus and I'm pretty sure (though not certain) in my brothers 2003 Renault Megane, there are lights on the dashboard to tell you that the fogs and full beams are on, but no light to show when your dipped bulbs are on.

A friends Peugeot 206 (2002 I think, though could be wrong) does have a light on the dash to show dipped lights.

I think it should be mandatory to have a dash light to show when dipped lights are on or off. I don't like DRLs in general. I've never been blinded by fogs, but I'm forever being blinded by DRLs. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭ofcork

Id say a lot of older cars are like that my avensis will show a light when the sidelights are on but not a separate one for the dipped beam.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭dantastic

Kindof on the fence with the DRLs. My preference would be mandatory dipped head lights 24/7 like in so many other countries.
    Different discussion for a different thread, but. If you are thinking of installing DRLs, don't.
    First of all, a lot of modern cars can enable auto-dipped in the ECU.
    Less advanced ones then and there are relay kits in many cases to turn on the dipped together with the ignition. IMO much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

This clown in the grey car passed me today at high speed, as I was doing the max 100kph speed limit. He then crossed several lanes and undertook cars, using the inside lane, just as a Garda car came down the slip road. Nice I thought, karma rules. But not so. The Garda car just sat in the middle lane as the speedster disappeared into the distance.

If the Garda driver had used his rear view mirror as he neared the bottom of the slip road, preparing to merge, he had to have seen the grey car approaching and he certainly must have seen it pass him?

http://youtu.be/z4RCVwnoRx0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

My car has factory fit DRLs and no auto lights.
    They are quite bright and if you turn on the main lights they dim. In fact if you turn on the parking lights, all it does is turn on the rear lights and dim the DRLs.

But even if the DRLs are on, most of the dash and all the centre console are in darkness.
    You'd hope people would notice that but I guess some are oblivious.
    I wonder if any have brought the car to the garage complaining about the dash lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

sogood wrote: »
    This clown in the grey car passed me today at high speed, as I was doing the max 100kph speed limit. He then crossed several lanes and undertook cars, using the inside lane, just as a Garda car came down the slip road. Nice I thought, karma rules. But not so. The Garda car just sat in the middle lane as the speedster disappeared into the distance.

If the Garda driver had used his rear view mirror as he neared the bottom of the slip road, preparing to merge, he had to have seen the grey car approaching and he certainly must have seen it pass him?

http://youtu.be/z4RCVwnoRx0

You must be joking?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I think it is mandatory.
    At least by EU law.

12 element wrote: »
    You must be joking?[/QUOTE

In what respect? It happened just as I described and it is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

dantastic wrote: »
    Kindof on the fence with the DRLs. My preference would be mandatory dipped head lights 24/7 like in so many other countries.
    Different discussion for a different thread, but. If you are thinking of installing DRLs, don't.
    Less advanced ones then and there are relay kits in many cases to turn on the dipped together with the ignition. IMO much better.

I don't think there is any country in EU where there would be mandatory dipped lights 24/7 without possibility to use DRLs.

• Advertisement

In what respect? It happened just as I described and it is what it is.

I don't care one bit but a lot of people in this thread will probably slate you for sitting in the middle lane!

dantastic wrote: »
    I'm very much in favour of DRL's, but they need to be made non dazzling, some of the ones out there are like white laser pointers.

I don't care one bit but a lot of people in this thread will probably slate you for sitting in the middle lane!

Yes, I'm with you now. That's fine by me. Lots of people come on here and find something about the poster to criticise. Ducks' back+ water.

I make no excuses for sitting in the middle lane. It leaves the outside lane free for the rice burners and other speed merchants (see video) and avoids the need to constantly slow down/move over (when you're allowed to) to let drivers merge onto the main road. I've bee pinned into the inside lane too often thanks, but I do take your point.

Yes, I'm with you now. That's fine by me. Lots of people come on here and find something about the poster to criticise. Ducks' back+ water.

I make no excuses for sitting in the middle lane. It leaves the outside lane free for the rice burners and other speed merchants (see video) and avoids the need to constantly slow down/move over (when you're allowed to) to let drivers merge onto the main road. I've bee pinned into the inside lane too often thanks, but I do take your point.
    Strictly speaking, the middle lane is the "second driving lane" so it's OK when there is a lot of traffic, it appears fairly busy in that video.

Different story when the road is nearly empty!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

I know they are exempt . But being exempt and abusing it, minutes after they just pulled a lad for speeding is pathetic.

In HD with the setting tab bottom right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Bus overtaking on hatched/continuous line, exceeding the 80 km/h speed limit (I was doing an indicated 85km/h = ~79km/h on the GPS). Note cyclist & jogger, and poor road conditions.

Needless to say I caught up with him a couple of minutes later :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

"Sure I'll make up my own rules to suit myself, it's grand".

It's because of people like you that motorways don't operate correctly. Please don't even reply to this post with nonsense, as you are completely and utterly wrong.

"Sure I'll make up my own rules to suit myself, it's grand.

You seem to have quoted me saying that some how but it wasn't me that made that post!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

"Sure I'll make up my own rules to suit myself, it's grand".

It's because of people like you that motorways don't operate correctly. Please don't even reply to this post with nonsense, as you are completely and utterly wrong.

I 2nd this, if drivers like the poster were not on the road, there wouldn't bne opportunity for undertaking and everyone would get on better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

I make no excuses for sitting in the middle lane. It leaves the outside lane free for the rice burners and other speed merchants (see video)

You sir, are the big problem.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement