Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Xperia S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

O2 have it in stock but nobody else has it yet, all promising the next few weeks

My XS is from three, but under the stickers, o2 labels, seems like they're good at getting stuff first.

I havent been keeping up with XDA, and I'm kicking myself for it.

ROOOOOOT. With stock bootloader, without hassle. See thread below and praise bin4ry.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1886460

In other news, theres a new FW out, 6.1.A.2.50
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1911630

Seems it fixes the proximity sensor w/ calls bug where the screen remained black ^^. I'm on .45CH and it hasnt been pushed to me yet, but not hugely bothered to flash right now.

Gonna try underclocking for gaming on the train, see how that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

ED E wrote: »
    My XS is from three, but under the stickers, o2 labels, seems like they're good at getting stuff first.

You gotta XS from Three with O2 stickers on it?

Walkman wrote: »
    You gotta XS from Three with O2 stickers on it?

Yeah, they'd put there own on top, but they werent very well done and underneath was the o2 Branding.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Looks like we have Jellybean to look forward to, but not until later next year.
    http://www.tgdaily.com/mobility-brief/67062-sony-xperia-phones-get-jelly-bean-schedule
    Meanwhile still no official launch of ICS on Vodafone devices. (Well my Vodafone device at any rate)

• Advertisement

We already knew it was coming, but sony never stick to their deadlines, so its not really news :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭flazio

This is ridiculous, still no official ICS for this phone on Vodafone, it's becoming a bit embarrassing for me to see friends with the phone on other networks enjoying the now not so new interface. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

flazio wrote: »
    This is ridiculous, still no official ICS for this phone on Vodafone, it's becoming a bit embarrassing for me to see friends with the phone on other networks enjoying the now not so new interface. :(

Just install a stock rom from Xda with it or a custom rom.

No more Vodafone spam apps then either.

I have the boot manager installed and have a stock and custom rom. Best of both worlds :D
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1880305

I have ICS official and Jelly Bean custom rom :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

flazio wrote: »
    When I initially got mine i rooted it and installed ics which was fine apart from the email on it, I found that the email app on gingerbread was far superior so I went back to gingerbread. Also my antutu benchmark on ics was about 100 points lower on ics. So for me and for what I want from the phone I found gingerbread to be the better os.

I was able to unlock my bootloader to root and put a custom rom on it, but before I did that I used this guide to
    flash the ics ftf using flashtool. http://droidxda.blogspot.ie/2012/06/xperia-s-users-download-ics-now-ftf.html#axzz1zzL5C5Wg
    The links still seem to work on that page.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Can you Root or install a custom ROM if your bootloader can't be unlocked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Can you Root or install a custom ROM if your bootloader can't be unlocked?

Yes you can. I dont remember exactly how I did it but it was easy to find how to do it on Google (not being smart, I really dont remember)

B4nary(sp?) on XDA made a command line tool to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

A lot of anger on the news of Jelly Bean roll-out here

Also some more frustration here

WTF Sony really are crap at updates - why the hell is the S getting the update after the P?
    Also the U is not getting an upgrade and the J is - really screwed up this time Sony.
    It will be the last Sony I or my family buy and we have 4 in our house at the moment - nice phones but all lacking that something special.

We have 2 Sony U's 1 lags like hell the other is fine. We have an S and its OK but is a bit buggy and finally we just got a Tipo but alas no love for a phone that was only released 6 months ago
    I thought OEMs were going to provide support and upgrades for 18 months after initial release.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

It's bad enough that they are not going to update their first 2012 flagship phone until the 3rd batch of updates, but they are only going to roll out 4.1 not 4.2?

4.1 came out in July 2012 and I'll be lucky to have it on my phone by May 2013?

Fúck me!! :pac:

gzoladz wrote: »
    Yes you can. I dont remember exactly how I did it but it was easy to find how to do it on Google (not being smart, I really dont remember)

It'll not matter about this then
    First, you should confirm that it is possible to unlock the boot loader of your phone by checking the service menu. In your phone, open the dialler and enter *#*#7378423#*#* to access the service menu.

In your phone, tap Service info > Configuration > Rooting Status. If Bootloader unlock allowed says Yes, then you can continue with the next step. If it says No, or if the status is missing, your device cannot be unlocked.
    B4nary(sp?) on XDA made a command line tool to do it.

this is the Bin4ry thread you mean isn't it http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1886460

I've just flashed stock ics, so I could install sky-go (wont install on rooted phone)
    Now I'm left with the stock ics email app (which is the reason I went back to gingerbread in the first place). There are two main problems with this
    1, the widget doesn't update properly (although I've marked everything as read, there is still 43 unread mails on the widget)
    2, When I click on the widget it goes to my default email account, not the combined view.
    I've tried installing the gingerbread apk but its not compatible.
    Does anybody have any recommendations, what are you using?
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Have you tried SuperSU?

It can temporarily disable root:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.supersu&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDMsImV1LmNoYWluZmlyZS5zdXBlcnN1Il0

On Xda, they were saying some apps are only checking for the apk file so you can actually just rename the SU apk to something else temporarily through a file manager app and it could work.

F'ck do I want the Z. Any other S users feeling the urge too?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Ya I just saw it yesterday. Class looking phone and the waterproof thing is cool. Any idea of price?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

No. I've been very disappointed in a too many aspects of the S to have any desire for another Sony phone. Very interested in the ZTE Grand S though.

• Advertisement

Ya I just saw it yesterday. Class looking phone and the waterproof thing is cool. Any idea of price?

cnet uk saying around £530

I feel let down by the S, in particular with the 12mpixel camera. The updates were
    slow in coming too. The z isn't shipping with 4.2 either. My contract is up soon and I'm looking to go back to samsung :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Yeah, I'm taking the move from Sony.
    I was loyal, but we've got screwed.

There is a new phone every week. And, we were the 'flagship' device owners. Now every new phone is their 'flagship'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Yeah, I'm taking the move from Sony.
    I was loyal, but we've got screwed.

There is a new phone every week. And, we were the 'flagship' device owners. Now every new phone is their 'flagship'.

So what...they are just like every other android handset manufacturer then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

No, you obviously have not read up on them. This is very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭chris_john_lane

Regretting getting the S a bit also screen scratches really easily, want the Samsung S3,

Regretting getting the S a bit also screen scratches really easily, want the Samsung S3,
    I took the protective coat off mine when I got it. It took a bit of picking at it it to get it off though. Haven't noticed any scratches since :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

Are we all in an agreement that Sony have fooked up?? :rolleyes: not to mention ever new release is the new flagship model ,...

Have had the S since it came out, no updates to 4.11111 (I wish)

My Speaker is gone, will take 3 weeks to replace, thanks that's great.

Otherwise, yea the phone is still s**T

At most I'd call it slightly disappointing, not sh1t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Ericaa

Moved from the S, to the Note 2.
    I'll never look back!

Advertisement