Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Xperia S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Exactly. Swiss generics have been forthcoming pretty quickly in past releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Joekers

Any update on jellybean?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1946 Watch here, there will be a thread on it as soon as its out.

Using an S3 for the moment now btw, XS going in the drawer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Joekers wrote: »
    Any update on jellybean?

End of May - what a joke - I will be advising all friends to keep clear of Sony phones. Poor support and a lot of empty promises.
    Phone is crippled with bugs so I really hope JB fixes things
    Maybe I should just sell it and cut my losses

http://blogs.sonymobile.com/2013/04/24/kicking-off-sonys-jelly-bean-android-4-1-rollout-for-xperia-p-xperia-go-and-xperia-e-dual/

• Advertisement

Ok, the XS definitely has something going for it. Camera on the GS3 isnt a patch on the XS. Feels like I'm back on some 2MP pos from 2005. Might drive me back to sony despite the fluidity of the GS3.

Oh Sony - what are you playing at? yet another mess on the Xperia S
    Still no JB

My XS is so slow and unstable at the moment that I can barely take phone calls. I dont want to have to root when I paid top dollar for this phone and would expect it should at least make a phone call when asked!

If JB is to come and it still remains laggy I will be selling this thing ASAP even though I have some months left on my contract.

Glad I got the GS3 now.

Poor software continues to ruin Sonys nice hardware. Total shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭batistuta9

tui0hcg wrote: »
    Oh Sony - what are you playing at? yet another mess on the Xperia S
    Still no JB

My XS is so slow and unstable at the moment that I can barely take phone calls. I dont want to have to root when I paid top dollar for this phone and would expect it should at least make a phone call when asked!

If JB is to come and it still remains laggy I will be selling this thing ASAP even though I have some months left on my contract.

you should get your phone replaced, there has to be something wrong with it

batistuta9 wrote: »
    you should get your phone replaced, there has to be something wrong with it

its 14 months old now so I doubt they will do much for me. Wife has a Xperia U and its worse than mine. Daughter has a Sony Tipo and its starting to lag now too.
    Last time we will go anywhere near Sony TBH

• Advertisement

its 14 months old now so I doubt they will do much for me. Wife has a Xperia U and its worse than mine. Daughter has a Sony Tipo and its starting to lag now too.
    Last time we will go anywhere near Sony TBH

Maybe, I wouldn't be sure

Nobody else seems to have the trouble you have with the S though & you think they'd be posting about it if they did

If all 3 of you have problems, compared to this thread say, would that not make you think it could be something on your end

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Nobody else seems to have the trouble you have with the S though & you think they'd be posting about it if they did

If all 3 of you have problems, compared to this thread say, would that not make you think it could be something on your end

Maybe some appis eating ram? I had that problem with one on my nexus 10.

I also have the xperia s. Nice, elegant and very good hardware but I am also a bit annoyed with the lack of os updates.

I am not planning to get a new phone until 4g is rolled out in Ireland, and I hope that by then a google lte device is available.

If you look around the web at the general feedback on the S I think there is a lot of people in the same boat as me - Phone lags awfully, bottom of the screen becomes unresponsive on occasions, reboots without warning, freezes on occasions - in general its been like that since day 1. ICS is a buggy release and has issues, wifi connection is poor, camera won't focus on occasions, screen turns off if you are on a call on speaker - need I go on? I have a friend that also has an S and its not much better even though he is a very light user with only a handful of apps.
    As I say we have 3 Sonys in the house and even though the hardware is really nice the software and general laggy response from these 'smart phones' is not up to scratch. We had 2 HTCs prior to this and they were far better IMO
    gzoladz wrote: »
    Maybe some appis eating ram? I had that problem with one on my nexus 10.

I also have the xperia s. Nice, elegant and very good hardware but I am also a bit annoyed with the lack of os updates.

I am not planning to get a new phone until 4g is rolled out in Ireland, and I hope that by then a google lte device is available.

I will try the JB update and clear down the phone completely and start from scratch and see if its any better.

Also having the same problems as mentioned above

If you look around the web at the general feedback on the S I think there is a lot of people in the same boat as me - Phone lags awfully, bottom of the screen becomes unresponsive on occasions, reboots without warning, freezes on occasions - in general its been like that since day 1. ICS is a buggy release and has issues, wifi connection is poor, camera won't focus on occasions, screen turns off if you are on a call on speaker - need I go on? I have a friend that also has an S and its not much better even though he is a very light user with only a handful of apps.
    As I say we have 3 Sonys in the house and even though the hardware is really nice the software and general laggy response from these 'smart phones' is not up to scratch. We had 2 HTCs prior to this and they were far better IMO

i wasn't doubting you, it just that i noticed you seemed to have a lot of issues with it compared to others here

only time i notice lag is after turning on the phone & swiping to a home screen which has two weather updates on it. At times though when using utorrent it's lags but when i'm running it i don't be looking to use the phone for anything else so it doesn't bother me

it froze on me once after i turning it on, stuck on the 3 branded screen

no wifi or call screen issues - when it's at your ear it's off but back on when you take it in front of you again

i would notice the focus with the camera at times, though the main problem i had with it was picture quality when switched to PC, that's down to the bravia engine

yeah the worst problem with Sony is the lack of updates

JB updates have started today btw :)

PCC couldnt reach the server, expect its being hammered. On swiss generic so I should get it now in a sec. Will install just to see if Sony f'cked it up.

ED E wrote: »
    PCC couldnt reach the server, expect its being hammered. On swiss generic so I should get it now in a sec. Will install just to see if Sony f'cked it up.

Not getting anything on pcc or update service yet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Not getting anything on pcc or update service yet :(

Same here. I wonder if voodoo will let me keep it rooted...

not a thing on PCC for me either
    will wait it out and see if it comes over the weekend.

Yeah, didn't work for me either. Might flash it manually on Monday.

• Advertisement

Had a quick go at it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8732458/LT26i_6.2.B.0.200_WORLD.ftf

There's a mirror of the file with no BS wait times or bot prevention if anyone wants it.

No root yet for unlocked bootloaders.

Rooted 4.0.4 .2.55::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::Unrooted JB 6.2.B.0.200
    936628_3089887584291_1083433334_n.jpg9377_3186134190396_634883092_n.jpg

ED E wrote: »
    Had a quick go at it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8732458/LT26i_6.2.B.0.200_WORLD.ftf

There's a mirror of the file with no BS wait times or bot prevention if anyone wants it.

No root yet for unlocked bootloaders.

Rooted 4.0.4 .2.55::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::Unrooted JB 6.2.B.0.200
    936628_3089887584291_1083433334_n.jpg9377_3186134190396_634883092_n.jpg

How do I do it?
    Have my phone rooted and CWM installed

Please dont quote pics, especially big ones.

Get flashtool, flash. Done.

Sorry about that, can I flash it with a locked bootloader ?

Sorry about that, can I flash it with a locked bootloader ?

Yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I have officially given up on the Carphone Warehouse Vodafone exclusive editions ever getting off Gingerbread through any official means. It has been overall a dissapointing phone, from day one the GPS loses my location intermittently (sometimes after 5 mins, sometimes after an hour which means I can't replicate the fault in a store) and won't re locate me until I restart the phone. I tried a reset of software once through PCC to see if mayhaps it might reset onto ICS, nope. And now the Youtube app refuses to load and it has frozen on a couple of occasions.
    I'm disappointed because at the time of purchase, the 13mp camera, the 32gb internal storage and the HDMI connections were very promising additions. But the software is a huge let down. (Plus I've always preferred a physical camera shutter button)
    And to be fair the phone still looks in decent nick, despite me never buying any case or screen protector for it. (The original is still on it and I have the pre packed replacement)
    I won't say I'm sorry I went Sony, my first phone was an Ericsson, and I've had the SE V600i and the V630i in the past and found them brilliant phones, and I still think they do offer great value of content for price compared to other makers, just a shame the ultimate user interface, the software, is poor.
    Still though, 1 year down, another year to go. My current employment/ financial situation means I don't have the money to fix anything should something go wrong while tampering with phone unofficially so I'm pretty much stuck as is for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

Anyone got official jelly been yet?

Just got it now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Oh...wasn't there this morning, but just connected after your post there Joekers and yep..jelly bean available. Will up date it later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

What network are ye on guys?

Check via pc companion yes??

Advertisement