Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Xperia S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sonic.boom

mondeo wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if Skype is working on the xperia s ?
    Is the video chat working?

Hi. On GingerBread everything was working for me except in video calls there is problem between changing form landscape to portrait very annoying for me but still does the job.

In ICS problems is fixed - everything working perfect so far

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭The Little Fella

Simple answer Sony Xperia S is more powerfull with beautiful HD screen and 12px camera + 1.5 dual core processor

http://www.adverts.ie/1800916

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Kanedmick

loopymum wrote: »
    Hi, a friend of mine wants to get this phone now and I am just wondering are new phones still shipping with the yellow tint issue still?
    She would be buying from emobile.

Thanks

Hi!

Also looking at buying one in next 48 hrs- so to repeat question above - Would likes of Carphone warehouse or Meteor still have stock that has tainted screen?

And,would ones bought today/tomorrow already running ICS out of the box anyone know?

Was going to get HTC One S today but Meteor have a recall/block on them due to HTC saying there is issues with them at the minute and not looking to fork out for One X or Galaxy III.

thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

They both have pros and cons

Xperia S:
    + Better Screen
    + 12mp Camera
    - Capacitive buttons can be hard to hit, used to really annoy me
    - No expandable memory or removable battery
    - Not the best design

Samsung Galaxy S2
    + Micro Sd Slot and Removable battery
    + Nicer design

Personally id pick the GS2, overall its the better phone in my opinion, when i had the xperia s i didn't like the design, i was sick of waiting for the ICS update and i also hated the capacitive buttons, the screen was class though.

Have a look here, might help you with your decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,091 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Kanedmick wrote: »
    Hi!

Also looking at buying one in next 48 hrs- so to repeat question above - Would likes of Carphone warehouse or Meteor still have stock that has tainted screen?

And,would ones bought today/tomorrow already running ICS out of the box anyone know?

Possibly, I think the ones with the tint issue were made between week 10 & 14 + they have a code that identifies this too, the weeks + code are given in this thread somewhere, this is listed on the back of the phone if you get then to remove the cover in the shop you'll know.

I'm nearly sure it's only a specific batch of them had the tint issue, someone else on here will know better or confirm it but if you know what models not to take you should be ok. I got one around a month ago - no bother with the tint.

I wouldn't say it will have ICS no.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Kanedmick wrote: »
    Hi!

Was going to get HTC One S today but Meteor have a recall/block on them due to HTC saying there is issues with them at the minute and not looking to fork out for One X or Galaxy III.

thanks!

Without working in the shops its hard to know. I would expect it be be fine but cant garuntee it

Wouldnt say it is running ICS but its a half hour update

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The only way to tell in shop is to have them open the box for you. The build codes arent on the outside, you have to check the back of the phone.

12W16 on will be fine, before that, dont risk it. Also, if its not AAXX eg ABCA is grand but AAED is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭The Little Fella

have been in contact with the guy selling an xperia s. the build number is 6.0.A.3.7 5 and it is a 12W16. is this batch affected by the yellow tint or should it be safe?

have been in contact with the guy selling an xperia s. the build number is 6.0.A.3.7 5 and it is a 12W16. is this batch affected by the yellow tint or should it be safe?

Think there may have been a few 16s tinted. Find the thread on XDA and do a search for "12W16" and that'll tell ya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

ED E wrote: »
    FLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.

Id be curious to take a look at it, might try it if it's not too complicated, any links for first time user guides or the program itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Comer1

PetKing wrote: »
    ED E wrote: »
    FLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.

Id be curious to take a look at it, might try it if it's not too complicated, any links for first time user guides or the program itself?

I'm a complete moon with android phones so if I could manage it from the instructions in this link, anyone can

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1725078

for anybody thinking of backing up just using PC companion - don't.

It wouldn't restore for me after i did the update to ICS, says it doesn't recognise the file or something like that & i think it doesn't restore a lot of the time anyway, whether you update the OS or not

some guy on another forum had the same problem using it, but said 1 day it just worked for him after "around 99 tries".

I didn't bother trying it that many, as it was only the setting & apps that i had backed up there were not photos or anything, so these aren't too difficult to get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Anyone experiencing data connectivity issues recently? Only noticed this happening in the last week (since ICS update???) but now about once a day at least I cannot connect to the web via data or wifi. Both are on and working then suddenly they stop and nothing works until I reboot the phone. Then they start working immediately again. Very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Ludo wrote: »
    Anyone experiencing data connectivity issues recently? Only noticed this happening in the last week (since ICS update???) but no about once a day at least I cannot connect to the web via data or wifi. Both are on and working then suddenly they stop and nothing works until I reboot the phone. Then they start working immediately again. Very annoying.

Yep, starting to notice that myself!
    Have to switch off wi-fi and turn it back on to get connectivity!

Hopefully it's something that can be fixed with a patch!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Also getting connection issues and phone is freezing too and I am still waiting for ICS.

getting very annoying.

Not sure if this was standard before, but long pressing the power button brings up a menu which lets you change volume (off, vibrate, normal).

Might explain why they changed the lockscreen slider to camera

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭killabban182

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Not sure if this was standard before, but long pressing the power button brings up a menu which lets you change volume (off, vibrate, normal).

Might explain why they changed the lockscreen slider to camera

Just updated my phone, am wondering is the lockscreen slider gone completely?

Just updated my phone, am wondering is the lockscreen slider gone completely?

No but the "Slide to Vibrate/Silence" (Right to Left) has been replaced by "Slide to Camera" if that makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

Hi guys quick question my Xperia S is locked to Emobile and also the bootloader is locked, now i'll be getting the phone unlocked by Emobile next week and what I want to know is that when I get it network unlocked will my bootloader also be unlocked?

Itching to try out some custom roms etc :)

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

Any idea how to upgrade to ICS on a mac? The Sony Bridge software they released on the DL keeps crashing and its very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

JayEnnis wrote: »
    Any idea how to upgrade to ICS on a mac? The Sony Bridge software they released on the DL keeps crashing and its very frustrating.

I had the same issue. I deleted the sony bridge software, restarted my mac, reinstalled the software and again restarted. Has worked like a charm since

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Damoedge

The only ROM that can be installed on locked bootloaders!!

look here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1768057

You need to be rooted and have CWM recovery installed to flash it

At last!
    ICS available for 3114 generic unlocked phones.

I am planning to update today. Can someone advise the best way to go about it? Do I preform a factory reset before the upgrade or after? I can back up SMS and calls etc but will app data be saved? Will I have to download all my apps again? Is there a way to backup application

Any advice appreciated

Havent kept up with XS news in the last month. Getting a little instabillity.

Never did the workaround root for locked BL's, anyone done it?

John2009 wrote: »
    Hi guys quick question my Xperia S is locked to Emobile and also the bootloader is locked, now i'll be getting the phone unlocked by Emobile next week and what I want to know is that when I get it network unlocked will my bootloader also be unlocked?

Itching to try out some custom roms etc :)

Cheers

I don't think so. I did same to my SXS on meteor but unfortunately bootloader still cannot be unlocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

Is there any way of unlocking a xperia without buying a code? Looking to buy a second hand one thats locked to meteor but Im with 3.. I doubt meteor would unlock it for me??

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

sean1141 wrote: »
    Is there any way of unlocking a xperia without buying a code? Looking to buy a second hand one thats locked to meteor but Im with 3.. I doubt meteor would unlock it for me??

Hey Sean i'm thinking of selling mine, just got it officially unlocked by Emoblie today

Installed ICS yesterday and loving it so far.

Massive improvement in the phone and I was thinking of getting rid of it before this. Still has its issues but much better overall

• Advertisement

does anyone know if anything can be done with the photos looking washed out when uploaded to a computer compared to the phones screen?

It's really really annoying, nearly defeats the point of the phone having that good a camera.

Advertisement