Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sonnen V Bisping Jan 28th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Bisping ko/tko win
    Cowser, I know you were clear and said it wasn't an A grade chin, which it's not. But others said it was suspect, which is what I was referring too. Average chin, does not make it suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Bisping ko/tko win
    There's a lot of nit-picking here regarding Bispings chin. I don't think anybody said he had a dodgy chin. I think the point that Cowzer and others were trying to make was that he has been knocked out before so we know it is possible.

I think I read somewhere before that a lot of people involved in the sport think that after you get properly knocked out for the first time, it kinda makes your body more susceptible to KO's in the future. It's sort of like, once that button is pressed once, it's easier to press after that.
    I don't know if there's much truth behind that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 billrstuart

Bisping ko/tko win
    I don't understand, why does Chael have to fight someone else before defending his title against Anderson Silva?
    Because Silva is the champion, not Chael!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Bisping ko/tko win

tumblr_lt4xjzN1sf1qa34hr.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Pin_Cushion

Bisping decision win
    I can only see this going the way of Sonnen's Marquart and Silva fights. Relentless takedowns for the whole fight. Bisping is certainly underrated when it comes to wrestling but Sonnen is one of the best when it comes down to being forceful like that. He pretty much manhandled Brian Stann to a lot of people's surprise.

So I think it's either going to be a decision or a ground-and-pound TKO for Sonnen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Bisping submission win
    What channel will be showing this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Owl Tickler

Bisping ko/tko win

1232550426_worf%20face%20palm.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

Bisping decision win
    nino1 wrote: »
    come on! are you being serious. He was ko'ed once ever (by a H bomb)

Akiyama "might have had him hurt" !!!

Name me one fighter who has never been rocked or "badly hurt"

That is a really feeble effort of proving he has a dodgy chin!!!

Im not saying he is the only fighter in the world without a grade A chin, im saying hes been in trouble a few times. Considering he was hurt in 3 fights in a row would indicate that his chin could be an issue, since them 3 fights, he has fought some very poor opposition, so i dont think its a feeble effort of proving anything and it backs up Cowserps comments

I think its similar to rashad evans, he was badly knocked out, and was hurt against thiago silva and rampage, but i think its fairly accpeted that rashad has issues with his chin-maybe not

I dont think you can be hurt that often and be considered to have a grade A chin, People with a grade A chin would be the likes of Hendo & Shogun, **** loads of fights against top quality opposition and very few chicken dances

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Bisping ko/tko win
    Mellor wrote: »
    Is there anybody that "can't" be knocked out ever (in MMA, as boxing is slightly different here imo) I don't.
    I'm not saying Bisping has a rock solid chin, but I wouldn't hold a H bomb against anyone. I've no reason to believe his chin is in any way below average.

As for the examples, Foreman was KO'd by Ali. Hunt KO'd by someone in Japan.

The pocket rocket is a legend though.

1st off Foreman was exhausted and fighting in 46 degree heat, he was huge and worked tirelessly for 7 rounds while eating many shots, Foreman fought many men at 40-46 taking full on heavy weight shots nd not flinching, his chin is legendary. MCcullogh would get pummelled and not even ever look unsteady, hunt was ko'd but in fairness could take serious damage, my point is Bispings been rocked a few times-a grade a chin does not get wobbled, except Hunt!! Adding to this, some fighters lose there chin with age, this is usually in relation to stamina dropping off, so a grade A chin might not be grade A forva whole career.

Hope that answers the question.

I tried my best

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Bisping submission win
    cowzerp wrote: »
    1st off Foreman was exhausted and fighting in 46 degree heat, he was huge and worked tirelessly for 7 rounds while eating many shots, Foreman fought many men at 40-46 taking full on heavy weight shots nd not flinching, his chin is legendary. MCcullogh would get pummelled and not even ever look unsteady, hunt was ko'd but in fairness could take serious damage, my point is Bispings been rocked a few times-a grade a chin does not get wobbled, except Hunt!! Adding to this, some fighters lose there chin with age, this is usually in relation to stamina dropping off, so a grade A chin might not be grade A forva whole career.

I tried my best

Taking this further, a lot of people say that after a fighter has been KO'd it's easier to KO him the next time, is this true or just a myth?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Bisping ko/tko win
    scudzilla wrote: »
    Taking this further, a lot of people say that after a fighter has been KO'd it's easier to KO him the next time, is this true or just a myth?

Well Bisping does have a history of being dropped in consecutive fights. Henderson KO'ed him, then next fight Dennis Kang dropped him and should have finished him and the next fight Wanderlai Silva dropped him again.

Bisping ko/tko win
    Sonnen beat Silva around the octagon for 24 minutes, all Silva did was put his legs around Chaels head for 8 seconds. And they declared Silva the winner? I'm sorry but on the streets of Portland Oregon that's not how it works my friend..,

Bisping submission win
    Sonnen beat Silva around the octagon for 24 minutes, all Silva did was put his legs around Chaels head for 8 seconds. And they declared Silva the winner? I'm sorry but on the streets of Portland Oregon that's not how it works my friend..,

Chael Mellor speaks :pac::pac::pac:

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Bisping ko/tko win

Aren't you skipping lightly over the whole "tapping out" bit?

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Bisping submission win
    I think it's fair to say that Sonnen was winning the fight, but Silva won, an important distinction to make :p

Anyways, I'm bloody excited for this match-up, and indeed the title fight with Silva.

Bisping submission win
    Leeg17 wrote: »
    I think it's fair to say that Sonnen was winning the fight, but Silva won, an important distinction to make :p

Anyways, I'm bloody excited for this match-up, and indeed the title fight with Silva.

He wasn't just winning, he totally owned the supposedly best pound for pound fighter in the world for 23mins.

But i'm with ya on the fight, was a bit 'meh' over Sonnen/Munoz but this I can't wait for, it's my main event if the night (What is the real main event?)

Bisping ko/tko win
    cowzerp wrote: »

I tried my best
    Tbh Cowser I agree 100%. I was just Playing devils advocate in the chin issue. I completely agree re: Hunt, Foreman and Wayne McC.
    I'm not trying to say Busping has a strong chin, I just meant that a Hendo KO, and 2 knock downs is completely average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Bisping submission win
    He wasn't just winning, he totally owned the supposedly best pound for pound fighter in the world for 23mins.

But i'm with ya on the fight, was a bit 'meh' over Sonnen/Munoz but this I can't wait for, it's my main event if the night (What is the real main event?)

I agree yes, but not matter how well he was owning Silva, Silva got the 'win' in the end in the same way Jones recently was getting rocked pretty well by Machida but came out with the win after a lucky few seconds.

Less than a week left :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Bisping ko/tko win

I think when a fighter gets knocked out who would not usually then it's a sign his punch resistance is going, so that the actual ko does the damage I don't think so, but it's a sure sign that your resistance to blows is diminishing.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Bisping ko/tko win

Wow... I'm the opposite. I would have been much more interested in the Sonnen v Munoz fight than this... Sure the build up will be great probably, but the original fight had more potential to be a great *fight*. This might still be but I dunno...

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dave80

Bisping ko/tko win
    Leeg17 wrote: »
    I agree yes, but not matter how well he was owning Silva, Silva got the 'win' in the end in the same way Jones recently was getting rocked pretty well by Machida but came out with the win after a lucky few seconds.

if you mean they both won fare enough but you cant compare these 2 fights, machida tagged jones a few time then got put to sleep in the second i dont remenber jones being 'rocked'??

Bisping submission win
    DeVore wrote: »
    Wow... I'm the opposite. I would have been much more interested in the Sonnen v Munoz fight than this... Sure the build up will be great probably, but the original fight had more potential to be a great *fight*. This might still be but I dunno...

DeV.

Maybe it's because i like both Sonnen and Munoz, and cannot stand Bisping.

Dana has said that the winner gets a shot against Silva (Who i also cannot stand) so if Sonnen wins i'm happy because he gets a shot and Bisping gets shut up for a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,150 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Bisping ko/tko win

DeV.

I can't imagine how Chael v Munoz would've been a great fight TBH. I can't see it being a great stand up war, a great fight on the ground, nothing really. I can't imagine where this fight would become great.

However, I think the added hatred between the Chael and Bisping, added with the fact that if Bisping decided to keep it on it's feet we're less likely to see a big KO (with Munoz, he hits so hard that this had the potential to be a lay and pray fest of a block rocking KO for Munoz) and more likely to see a slugfest (neither guy has big power, like what we saw with Forrest v Bonnar).

Also, with the first fight I really didn't wanna see either guy lose. BUt now i'll be cheering on Chael 100% :D

Bisping ko/tko win
    I rate Munoz as a much better fighter than Bisping so I thought Munoz vs Chael would be good, whereas now I think Chael vs Sonnen is good only in the run up probably :):D

Hey, maybe Bisping will shock the world, but it would be just that... a shock!

DeV.

Bisping submission win
    I rate Munoz as a much better fighter than Bisping so I thought Munoz vs Chael would be good, whereas now I think Chael vs Sonnen is good only in the run up probably :):D

Hey, maybe Bisping will shock the world, but it would be just that... a shock!

DeV.

Ah come on Dev, don't be givin the guy idea's, i know he thinks he's wonderful but not even Chael could fight himself as a main event......or maybe he could :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Ah come on Dev, don't be givin the guy idea's, i know he thinks he's wonderful but not even Chael could fight himself as a main event......or maybe he could :pac::pac:

Maybe that is what ends the world in 2012, Chael Vs Chael.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Fear Uladh

Bisping decision win
    People, you do realise it was supposed to be bisping/Maia fighting on this card?

Bisping was already training long and hard for Maia so he didn't really take a fight last minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭The Bored One

Im torn on this one. I'd be very surprised if Sonnen doesn't win this one unless for some bizarre reason he decides not to perform any takedowns at all. But I don't know whether I'd prefer to see how the Silva vs Sonnen rematch would turn out, or to see Sonnen suffer an upset loss and derailment by Bisping. Its unlikely but Id find it very satisfying.
    On an unrelated note, every time I see Sonnen I think he'd be perfect to play Brutus in a movie about Julius Caesar. He just has that look of togas and stabbing about him.

Bisping ko/tko win
    Fear Uladh wrote: »
    People, you do realise it was supposed to be bisping/Maia fighting on this card?

Bisping was already training long and hard for Maia so he didn't really take a fight last minute.
    Who suggested the he took a fight at the last minute and hadn't been training?

Any comments regarding short notice were obviously in relation to the fact that Maia and Chael are two very different fighters

• Advertisement

Bisping ko/tko win
    Only Chael Sonnen is fit to challenge Chael Sonnen for his title!

D'oh

DeV.

Advertisement