Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sonnen V Bisping Jan 28th

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Bisping ko/tko win
    Just gave your blog a quick read there Dev.

I agree with the event, it ended up being a horrible night of fights. Jones seemed so uncomfortable presenting (and reading from his sheet). He must've learned his media skills from Tito Ortiz. Randy was aweosme as always though.

I understand Fox need to have a recognised presenter fronting their shows (I presume he's a recognised presenter) but the show was crying out for Jon Anik and Kenny Florian or Ariel Helwani. Or all 3.

Anyone but Gus Johnson!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Bisping ko/tko win
    Have to say, I don't think I'll be watching events live if they're all gonna be in the FOX format from now on. It's atrocious.

I know there was some bother with ESPN, but will the majority of events going forward follow the old, uninterrupted format?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Bisping decision win
    Am I the only one who wasn't really bothered with the FOX presentation? I've watched enough American football, baseball and ice hockey to know that's how American sport is done - personally I find it very slick, fast paced, easy on the eye. I thought it added polish to the whole UFC package, which to be honest is quite stale. We've been spoiled by ad free pay per views tbh, so putting up with FOX isn't that big a deal, but I can understand people's annoyance with it when all they're used to is Pay Per Views.

That being said, don't ever, EVER have Jon Jones on the show again. Dear god he was so nervous and just not suited to the role at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

Roar wrote: »
    Am I the only one who wasn't really bothered with the FOX presentation? I've watched enough American football, baseball and ice hockey to know that's how American sport is done - personally I find it very slick, fast paced, easy on the eye. I thought it added polish to the whole UFC package, which to be honest is quite stale. We've been spoiled by ad free pay per views tbh, so putting up with FOX isn't that big a deal, but I can understand people's annoyance with it when all they're used to is Pay Per Views.

It was absolutely atrocious from a fight sport stand point. I've never liked the way Fox broadcast sport. Why go to a break in between rounds? It shows an important factor in fights. You get to see the condition of the fighter an insight to what their corner thinks. Why go to a break during the walk ins? Watching them walk in and getting an overview of the fighter from the commentators sets the tone. And worst of all, why go to a break before the decisions? It's such a waste of time and slows down the night.

What annoyed me was that it was a 3 hour card starting at 1am. It was nice to have an early start and I assume they would show prelim fights in the extra time. After all, 3 hours for 3 fights is more than enough time, even if they go the distance. Dana White said in an interview that there would be more fights and less talking. Just another lie from White.

I won't be staying up to watch Fox events in the future.

Bisping decision win
    american TV is all about getting as much advertising in as possible, hence the breaks between rounds, before decisions etc. They have to maximise their advertising revenue, and advertising in between rounds is a very effective way of doing that - you're not going to change channel for 40-60 seconds in between rounds while they go to commercial.

As I say it doesn't bother me at all as I'm accustomed to it. It's a small price to pay for free fights IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

Dear god, the robots fighting at the start of the broadcast..:( I knew it would be a downhill slide from there!
    american TV is all about getting as much advertising in as possible, hence the breaks between rounds, before decisions etc. They have to maximise their advertising revenue, and advertising in between rounds is a very effective way of doing that - you're not going to change channel for 40-60 seconds in between rounds while they go to commercial.

As I say it doesn't bother me at all as I'm accustomed to it. It's a small price to pay for free fights IMO

This is very true, just tough for hardcore fans to let go of what made the organisation great and see FOX hacks bungle around and fcuk it up. I can see from a corporate standpoint they are doing exactly what they should be doing. Anyhow, we still have a lot of PPV's that will remain to a large extent in the old format.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

I'm aware of the reasoning behind it but it's still awful. The constant breaks and in studio analysis take away from the momentum of a fight night. I'm all for free fights but that format will not keep me up at night to watch them. I prefer the PPV format. As you pointed out though, it comes with the territory, they need to make up for lost sales and need to advertise.

The whole point of the fox cards are to attract more fans. I know they will attract alot more due to this venture. I'd just prefer if they showed more fights. They had a 3 hour slot and only managed 3 fights. There were much more exciting fights on the prelim card. Why not show them rather than listen to Couture and Jones analyse fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Bisping ko/tko win
    CageWager wrote: »
    Dear god, the robots fighting at the start of the broadcast..:( I knew it would be a downhill slide from there!

Was it just me who thought the fighting robots were awesome? :o

Bisping decision win
    I'm sure American fans were glad to get the event for free with ads instead of shelling out 50 bucks or whatever it is for a normal PPV.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Bisping submission win
    DeVore wrote: »
    My blog for the night, thanks for the idea for it. Short, sweet and mmmm omnyomynom http://www.setanta.com/ie/Blogs/Tom-Murphy/2012/January/Steak-And-Eggs/

Nice one, i think that about summed it up when Steak and Eggs are more interestin than a fight you been lookin forward to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

Sonnen submission win
    CageWager wrote: »
    This is very true, just tough for hardcore fans to let go of what made the organisation great and see FOX hacks bungle around and fcuk it up. I can see from a corporate standpoint they are doing exactly what they should be doing. Anyhow, we still have a lot of PPV's that will remain to a large extent in the old format.
    The free fightnights that they showed on Spike in the US were pretty much exactly the same format except they played generic metal music instead of the fox sports music. The only difference is the extra table with the guest announcers but i dont think it makes a massive difference probably just puts the brodcast inline with other sports that are broadcast on Fox/Network TV.

They always had commercials between rounds on the free cards.

Plus who doesnt like robots? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

We've been spoiled by ad free pay per views tbh,
    We're not spoiled, that's the way it should be done. If anything the Americans have been shafted by their TV.

Advertisement