Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sonnen V Bisping Jan 28th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

Bisping decision win
    Sonnen normally outworks his opponents BUT Bisping's cardio is awesome and he could match him here.... Some say Bisping's biggest flaw is his chin BUT Sonnen is not a puncher SO - I would say they are pretty closely matched. QUOTE]

was that not suspect in the Mayhem fight, i think i remember hands on the knees after a round or so

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Bisping ko/tko win
    As for "Remove the post".....why, it is a material fact that we have access to seeing his training and preparation as we are his sponsor..... I am not listing products and images of our site!!

Read Charter

Rule number 5, if you want to post on here keep your website for This

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Denners.ie

Bring the vasoline Mike, you are about to get raped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Fightshop.com

cowzerp wrote: »
    Deluded comes to my mind-Bisping has a chance of luck like catching a lucky guilotine or ko but thats it.

I actually think sonnen will out strike him on the feet as well as bash him on the ground.

Deluded? Please show me a list of Sonnen's KO's by punching! 70% of his wins have come via Decision (which make up nearly 60%) or Submission (around 10%) - only 25% come from (T)KO....

He can't punch - he certainly won't out box Bisping mate! No chance. Bisping's cardio means he will be a formidable opponent who can go the distance BUT hat's off to Sonnen, he's a tough b&stard and it's gonna be the hardest fight of Bisping's career!!!

Unlike the rest of the forum though you're quite openly biased regarding this fight.

I think Bisping is less of an underdog than people are making him out to be but I still think Chael takes it by UD.

Jeez, here we go again....

I am backing up my bias with fact (and alot of opinion which is well founded, I believe!)

A forum is for opinion orelse it would read like a dictionary!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

Bisping ko/tko win
    to be fair...8 tko victories in the UFC..... for anyone... at any time is pretty fcuking damn good tbh and I think Bispings cardio ihas been/is excellent as well... in general but this fight will take a heroic performance and a 'switch' in his head from decent professional MMA fighter to COMPLETE LIFE ON THE LINE BLOOD THRISTY ANIMALSITIC BEASTERY for Bisping to take this one.
    There's going to be nowhere to hide, no tactics will work...this is just fighting as Sonnen always says.. the bell goes... and then we'll start punching each other til one goes unconscious! That's the way it's gotta be against Sonnen or you're dead... end of.
    If Bisping understands this...and goes into this willing to literally fight to the death he could surprise everyone but I haven't seen that side of his spirit in the octagon... to date...let's hope he stands up to Chael and puts it all on the line from the first DINGGG!! If I see double jabbing skippin in and out angled footwork (which Bisping is brilliant at) in the first round, I'm goin to bed.. but I'll hit an internet flower delivery site to send flowers to Wolfs Lair before I go asleep ; )

Bisping decision win
    Jeez, here we go again....

I am backing up my bias with fact (and alot of opinion which is well founded, I believe!)

A forum is for opinion or else it would read like a dictionary!

Fact or speculation? Where's the fact?

If we're talking about records and stoppages well Sonnen's fought the better opponent. Last 6: Brian Stann, Anderson Silva, Nate Marquardt, Yushin Okami, Dan Miller and Demian Maia. 4-2 record.

Then Bisping's last 6: Mayhem Miller, Jorge Rivera, Yoshihiro Akiyama, Dan Miller, Wandy Silva, Denis Kang. 5-1 record.

I think Sonnen's fought the better opposition as well as come out looking better in most whereas Bisping has edged opponents of a lower level.

Don't get me wrong I like Bisping but you can't really make a case for him beating Sonnen, especially having to change from a world class Jiu Jitsu opponent to world class Wrestling opponent in two weeks it's not going to be pretty.

I never said it would be pretty - don't get me wrong I think Sonnen is class and there is no doubt that he is the "odds on" favourite. Not only is he "tough", he is 100 mph in every fight and Bisping hasn't met a fighter as fast and furious (from memory)....

I just think that there is an opportunity for Mike to pull off a victory here.....like I say, I know Sonnen is awesome and he had Silva beat but my money is on Bisping for an upset!

Bisping ko/tko win
    Deluded? Please show me a list of Sonnen's KO's by punching! 70% of his wins have come via Decision (which make up nearly 60%) or Submission (around 10%) - only 25% come from (T)KO....

He can't punch - he certainly won't out box Bisping mate! No chance. Bisping's cardio means he will be a formidable opponent who can go the distance BUT hat's off to Sonnen, he's a tough b&stard and it's gonna be the hardest fight of Bisping's career!!!

I said deluded because you think Bisping has improved his ground game 10 fold, Chael dropped Silva a couple of times and outboxed him so out boxing Bisping won't be that hard, especially as seen as Bisping is going to have to focus on staying up where Sonnen can just relax and do his thing.

Sonnen is not feather fisted and Bispings chin aint A grade either so don't be suprised to see Sonnen out box him and most likely finish him on the ground by TKO

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Bisping submission win
    When Bisping loses this he'll just be fed 2 or 3 middle of the range fighters and will be back in contention again, UFC really really want him up there for some reason

• Advertisement

Bisping ko/tko win
    scudzilla wrote: »
    When Bisping loses this he'll just be fed 2 or 3 middle of the range fighters and will be back in contention again, UFC really really want him up there for some reason

He interests fans this side of the pond that otherwise would have no 1 to cheer on.

business sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Bisping ko/tko win
    scudzilla wrote: »
    Dana just tweeted, Munoz is injured, winner gets a title shot

Night Night Michael

When I first read your post I thought to myself 'Why is Dana Rosemarie Scallon tweeting about UFC?'.....Then I copped onto myself

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Bisping ko/tko win
    Chavways wrote: »
    When I first read your post I thought to myself 'Why is Dana Rosemarie Scallon tweeting about UFC?'.....Then I copped onto myself

She's a big fan. She actually caught Michael D in a triangle during the campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭DB888

I think Bisping's cardio and work rate could be a problem for Sonnen.When Bisping does get taken down he is quite springy and lots of movement on the ground,which leads to it being hard for him to be kept down.The only thing Bisping has to worry about here is the takedowns,even at that I dont think Sonnen will damage him on the ground,or submit him.I feel Mike will outstrike him using alot of footwork and clever movements which he always has,no matter who he is getting ready to fight(learned his lesson vs Hendo).He is also good in the clinch and very active against the cage.So not as clear cut for me as people are thinking..Might aswel take Bisping ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭icanplaydrums

The funny thing about this it only takes Sonnen to put his head out there for a second in Bispings guard and all of a sudden Bisping has the opportunity to be humiliated by Anderson Silva?

The build-up to this fight might be more entertaining than the actual thing though, once Bisping is on his back though he'll have little chance of doing much

• Registered Users Posts: 39,114 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Bisping ko/tko win
    Fear Uladh wrote: »
    Which is why I said he needs to work on it.
    His point was that Bispings TD defence is pretty good. Even if he does work on it, its won't improve enough to stop sonnen. Based on 10 days train, TD def would be wasted time. Personally i'd be working on submissions from my back. Triangles, Kimura from guard, even omaplatas

Sonnen normally outworks his opponents BUT Bisping's cardio is awesome and he could match him here.... Some say Bisping's biggest flaw is his chin BUT Sonnen is not a puncher SO - I would say they are pretty closely matched.
    I don't think Bisping as a suspect Chin. He took some big shots verses Wandy. That punch from Hendo KOs lots of top guys. It as his positioning that led to it landing that was his downfall.

He needs to adapt his BJJ def to set up subs from his back. Cos he'll be on his back alot here.

I like Bisping.
    But i love Chael.
    Can't wait for this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Sonnen submission win
    Sonnen is not feather fisted and Bispings chin aint A grade either so don't be suprised to see Sonnen out box him and most likely finish him on the ground by TKO

What? Bisping has been KO'd once, and that was with a punch that would KO a horse. I think this is going to be a very close fight with the decision going either way. I hope it falls to Bisping because I feel he is massively underrated by so many here, I think hehaa good hands and is a decent honest fighter (unlike the criminally convicted and drugs cheat Sonnen).

Why is he so underrated and disliked by boards.ie MMA fans?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

Bisping ko/tko win
    Killme00 wrote: »

What? Bisping has been KO'd once, and that was with a punch that would KO a horse. I think this is going to be a very close fight with the decision going either way. I hope it falls to Bisping because I feel he is massively underrated by so many here, I think hehaa good hands and is a decent honest fighter (unlike the criminally convicted and drugs cheat Sonnen).

(drunk..ish)
    Coz Bisping is your classic English cocky fcuk : ) a lot of talk ...( but in his case actuallly a lot of action although we hate to admit so:). yes he hasn't fought the top top guys ... in a row.. but he's been in with some tough mfs. He is atypical as a fighter in that he has always tried to apply a pure European kick boxing style to the octagon and in many cases successfully so but maybe he hasnt been forced to adapt his style completely coz Joe Silva has (under orders I believe) in some cases protected him when it comes to match making for purely marketing reasons. He is in fact similar to Forest Griffin in this way in that he is directly responsible for a large part of the success of the UFC in recent years especially with buy rates on overseas cards! That's not even debatable .... fans know this... But he has beaten good guys.. Not the best ... But good... He's now faced with a once in 5 years talent and that's Chael... It's simply an understood fact that Bisping is/has not been the force that Chael is.... and Bisping knows this.... I think he's admitted as much tbh... But as he says ... This is AN OPPORTUNITY... to be great.... even for one fight... His power hasn't to date given us fans the impression that he can knock out Chael but yet we know he has striking technique and speed... His wrestling isn't bad actually in my view its decent and his takedown defence is ok... It will need to be very smart, very good to stop Chael if that's what's needed on the 28th ... I have a feeling Chael is forced to show he can out strike Bisping to convince critics that the silva performance wasn't a one off. We either see a new Bisping ready for war on the bell of the 28th or we will as fans simply put Bisping where he disserves to be ...after a lot of hard work and well won fights... a top twelve 185er ... far above a gate keeper ....but nowhere near a real contender! For me he just isn't naturally explosive enough... can't put it simpler than that... Hendo, rampage, gsp, Chael, bj, aldo, chuck, silva, belfort, shogun, fedor... off top of the drunken head are/have been always explosive... powerful ... Bisping just hasn't been ... although I always felt he could be... It's like he's held back by his kick boxing disciplined stance and rhythm and natural tendency... He's just not the 'explode knock you out guy'

• Registered Users Posts: 39,114 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Bisping ko/tko win
    GSP is an explode and knock you out guy???

I'd had labeled him as a pick-apart guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭p to the e

Sonnen submission win
    I've read a lot of people talking about Bisping's cardio being fantastic which I'm not disputing. To be able to go a full round then not even sit on your stool is legendary, but are people forgetting about Chael's fantastic cardio aswell. The man can keep up a solid work rate by being all over his opponent for the take down and raining down fists of fury from mount.

It's mad how this fight has made people literally forget about the Evans - Davis fight which is a very important fight and could lead to another fantastic grudge match between Jones and Evans. That fight will be between people who literally dislike each other as opposed to the theatrics of the possible Sonnen - Silva fight.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Bisping ko/tko win
    Its a fight. Bisping is a fighter. He has a fighters chance as a result.

I dont hate on Bisping, I'm not a fan either but I respect what he has achieved so far.

I think he's going to end up on his back a lot in this fight unless Chael chooses not to go that route. Remember, Chael laid his hands on Andersen Silva a good few times before taking him down and Bisping is no Silva...

Part of me would like to see Chael dumped on his arse in an upset, but lets be honest, thats what it would be "an upset". Bisping is well the underdog here and even his team acknowledge that above.

I'm looking forward to this a lot!

DeV.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Bisping decision win
    Just to see this forum on its head, I'd love to see him beat Sonnen ....and Silva.... Also I secretly like the guy as a fighter and I think he has a funny personality that's to be taken pretty lightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭reganreggie

I taught Bisping was just an arse and didnt mind him too much, but the spitting thing really turned me against him and although i think he is in with a shout againt sonnen I will be cheering on the sonnen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,002 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Bisping ko/tko win
    I like them both, great 'characters' and both have there undoubted talents. But id rather see Chael win as a rematch with Anderson is long overdue, their first fight was one of the first MMA fights i saw and it made me come back for more. Its a no lose for Bisping too really as no one expects him to win and he will get credit for taking the fight too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,151 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Bisping ko/tko win

I dislike him because of his attitude and the way he carries himself. Also, there have been plenty of incidents. Like his classlessness after the Hamill fight, the Rivera spitting incident etc.

As far as a fighter goes, i agree he's ever so slightly under-rated by people in general and that's to do with 2 things.

1) His character and peoples' dislike for him.

2) His and UFC's insistance that he's an A class MW fighter. He's clearly not. He's a B class fighter. Perhaps best of that class, but when he comes up against top opposition like Hendo, Rashad etc he falls short. He was beaten by an Old Wandi.

Also, who has he really beaten? Charles McCarthy? Jason Day? Leben? Sexiyama? Kang? Miller? Rivera?

Let's face it, Bisping has NEVER beaten a top MW (or a top LHW for that matter).

Michael Bisping would've been the perfect guy to demolish all comers in Strikeforce and to have the Sherdog lads jumping on his bandwagon saying "Bisping's the real No.1. He'd kill Silva" etc. But that's not what happened and now he's making shed loads of money but he's never going to be the No.1 MW in the world.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Bisping ko/tko win
    Personally I like Bisping, he's got character, sure it might be the bad kind but it makes his fights more interesting, which is a good thing when as MrStuffins pointed out you're essentially a B level fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭nino1

Sonnen submission win
    I think there are two issues here
    1) bisping is seriously under rated (based on most peoples dislike for him)
    and
    2) too many people are buying into the sonnen hype (mainly created by his own self promotion

sonnen is an amazing wrestler and put on a good preformance against silva but he has lost 11 fights,
    has only ever beaten 2 top class opponents in marquardt and okami and is a very one dimensional fighter,
    Maia, an undersized middle-weight destroyed him inside one round.
    He had a good display against silva but don't forget, he lost.
    You also have to remember that the champ may have had a bad night and that an in-form anderson silva would probably destroy him in a re-match.

Remember when joe rogan said welcome to the machida era and ever-one jumped on that band wagon and thought he was unbeatable.
    His sonnen hype remindes me on that.

Can't believe the amount of people on here that don't give bisping a prayer.

I actually believe that sonnen might squeeze out a UD victory because of his world class wrestling but i certainly don't buy into his hype and think this will be a really close fight

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Bisping submission win
    Hardly any hype at all over a Sonnen/Munoz fight, now it's Sonnen/Bisping the place has gone nuts!!

Next week is fight week so i'll be expecting LOADS of trash talk between the 2 of 'em, wit Sonnen coming out on top both in and out of the cage

• Registered Users Posts: 19,151 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Bisping ko/tko win
    nino1 wrote: »
    I think there are two issues here
    1) bisping is seriously under rated (based on most peoples dislike for him)

Ok, so can you please point out how posters have been under rating him? I think people have been pretty fair in their evaluation of Bisping. Decent fighter, Sonnen will smash him.
    2) too many people are buying into the sonnen hype (mainly created by his own self promotion

I don't think anyone has done this. Personally, I think Sonnen will win this because of what i've seen of him over the years as a WEC fighter and a UFC fighter. Also, his 2 last performances. He dominated Silva and Stann and there's no reason to think he won't do the same to Bisping.
    sonnen is an amazing wrestler and put on a good preformance against silva but he has lost 11 fights,
    has only ever beaten 2 top class opponents in marquardt and okami.......

2 more than Bisping though wouldn't you agree?

Maia, an undersized middle-weight destroyed him inside one round.

Lol. Maia is a beast. He's possibly the best BJJ practitioner the sport has ever seen. A loss against his is not to be scoffed at!

He had a good display against silva but don't forget, he lost.
    You also have to remember that the champ may have had a bad night and that an in-form anderson silva would probably destroy him in a re-match.

You can do better than that.
    For the record, I think Silva would beat Sonnen in a rematch, but I wouldn't use a hypotesis to back up my points
    Remember when joe rogan said welcome to the machida era and ever-one jumped on that band wagon and thought he was unbeatable.
    His sonnen hype remindes me on that.

This is nowhere near that!
    Can't believe the amount of people on here that don't give bisping a prayer.

I actually believe that sonnen might squeeze out a UD victory because of his world class wrestling but i certainly don't buy into his hype and think this will be a really close fight

Well then you pretty much agree with everyone here, Sonnen by UD :D

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Bisping ko/tko win
    I dont.

I dont think it will go to a UD, I think it will be a stoppage. Bisping by some weird submission off his back or more likely, Sonnen by GnP. I'm actually fairly surprised people think this will go the distance....

I should point out, my record for predicting fights stinks. I'd be like, 0 : 2345739 if I was a fighter ... but I have to be right sometime, right?!?! :)

DeV.

Advertisement