Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sonnen V Bisping Jan 28th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭singlesnights

If I was Bisping, I'd be working harder on my submissions than anything else.

No matter how much he improves his wrestling, it still won't be enough to stop Sonnen taking him down.

Bisping's BJJ is underrated and if Sonnen doesn't respect it and gets careless, there's always the possibility he'll get caught in yet another triangle.

Horrible match-up for Bisping though. I'll go with Sonnen by UD.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭mooeire

Bisping ko/tko win
    If I was Bisping, I'd be working harder on my submissions than anything else.

No matter how much he improves his wrestling, it still won't be enough to stop Sonnen taking him down.

Bisping's BJJ is underrated and if Sonnen doesn't respect it and gets careless, there's always the possibility he'll get caught in yet another triangle.

Horrible match-up for Bisping though. I'll go with Sonnen by UD.

Im sure he was working very hard on his bjj seen as he was supposed to be fighting Maia, he was probably working more on submission defence though.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

Bisping decision win
    its not good for bisbing, different style of fight and he only has 10 days to adjust, really excited for this, cant wait for it now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭p to the e

Sonnen submission win
    A really big chance for Weidman to take a step up the ladder. He's beaten some decent middle of the road competition. I think Bisping has some very good takedown defence but I also think he hasn't faced a wrestler of Sonnen's capability before. Hendo springs to mind and we remember how that finished.

If the fight goes to the ground he may have a chance to utilise his underestimated jiujitsu game to catch Sonnen in a submission with which he has lost from the majority of times. Bisping may just have to take a beating first.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭singlesnights

In a way, it's a no lose situation for Bisping.

If he somehow manages to get past Sonnen, he gets a title shot.

If he loses, Dana can always say he only had 10 day's notice and still keep him in line for a title shot.

While Silva-Sonnen II is the fight everyone wants to see, Bisping is a huge cash cow for the UFC. Silva vs Bisping in England would be huge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Sonnen by UD. If Jason Miller can take down Bisping and keep him there for a while, Sonnen will wrestle f*ck him for 3 rounds.

Weidman v Maia is interesting. Training for Weidman wouldn't be much different than training for Bisping. Love Maia though, hope he wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭nino1

Sonnen submission win
    i think this fight is gonna be much closer than people think.
    bisping is a very underrated fighter, mainly because he is so disliked but i think also because people see that he doesn't have knock out power and think that makes him a bad fighter.
    bisping's striking is very technical and effective even if there is no ko power there.
    as for the wrestling aspect he beat hamill at 205 (questionable decision) and did very well against rashad evans at 205, which many people thought he should have got the decision.
    He is good at getting back up to his feet after being taken down so i think he is in with a much better shout than people think.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

According to Dana, Palhares turned down the fight with Maia, because he is too "banged up"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Bisping ko/tko win
    Remeber Bisping has had a full training camp, be it against Miai but still he has had a full camp

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

dave1982 wrote: »
    Remeber Bisping has had a full training camp, be it against Miai but still he has had a full camp

And Sonnen hasnt? :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Can't wait for this fight. The lads should be ripping shreds off each onther on twitter as we speak.
    Reckon Sonnen smothers him in this one, even with Bispings cardio. Would like to see him take Sonnen out but think he's so focused on the rematch with Silva he's going to take a Brian Stann through the count.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Saw the tweet about the change in opponents for Bisping and as a few have said on here I thought straight away that Bisping is gonna get f*cked on the ground... I hope not but Brian Stann, although limited was taken apart fairly quickly by Sonnen so I would think he's more than able to take Bisping and do the same..

Noffles wrote: »
    I hope not but Brian Stann, although limited was taken apart fairly quickly by Sonnen so I would think he's more than able to take Bisping and do the same..

Yeah, if Bisping can really defend, keep it standing i think he has a chance but Sonnens wrestling is going to be very tough to defend.
    Not really too up on Bispings BJJ, I hope he has some, would be class if he did a Silva on it again and tapped him out in the 5th... (i'm assuming this is going to be a 5 rounder)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Bisping ko/tko win
    Bisping is about to get frequent flier miles on Air Sonnen.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Bisping submission win
    PauloConn wrote: »
    (i'm assuming this is going to be a 5 rounder)

I think it's only a 3 rounder this one as Evans v Davis is the main event.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

PauloConn wrote: »
    Not really too up on Bispings BJJ, I hope he has some, would be class if he did a Silva on it again and tapped him out in the 5th... (i'm assuming this is going to be a 5 rounder)

This is a 3 rounder. The main even it Evans vs Davis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Bisping ko/tko win
    And Sonnen hasnt? :/

I didn't say he hasn't ?

Pointing out the fact should Bisping lose he can't say he was prepared

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

Bisping ko/tko win
    Sonnen has lost to a triangle Four times...by guys weaker than him....and three times to arm bars..... he's the perfect candidate for a a good submission artist...big wrestler who leaves his neck out and likes to control form the top which wuld suit a high level grappler with an active guard.
    from UFC.com
    "Accomplishments in amateur competition? 1995 Silver medal – world jiu-jitsu championships; 5 x British kickboxing champion; God knows how many times British Sport jiu-jitsu champion. "

but he hasn't finished a submission in more than 6 years... Sonnen is going to...how can I put this.... murder the guy. Bisping isn't strong enough, tough enough, good enough, fit enough to even get 3-1 odds. If he tried to kick and tappy tap ITF punch punch and retreat..Sonnen will just man rape him like a bear eatin a small child. I like Bisping but jaysus all I can say is fair play to him for taking the fight....much respect... to get in there with Sonnen takes serious serious cajones...he's a man wrecker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

Bisping ko/tko win
    Sonnen has lost to a triangle Four times...by guys weaker than him....and three times to arm bars..... he's the perfect candidate for a a good submission artist...big wrestler who leaves his neck out and likes to control form the top which wuld suit a high level grappler with an active guard.
    from UFC.com
    "Accomplishments in amateur competition? 1995 Silver medal – world jiu-jitsu championships; 5 x British kickboxing champion; God knows how many times British Sport jiu-jitsu champion. "

but he hasn't finished a submission in more than 6 years... Sonnen is going to...how can I put this.... murder the guy. Bisping isn't strong enough, tough enough, good enough, fit enough to even get 3-1 odds. If he tried to kick and tappy tap ITF punch punch and retreat..Sonnen will just man rape him like a bear eatin a small child. I like Bisping but jaysus all I can say is fair play to him for taking the fight....much respect... to get in there with Sonnen takes serious serious cajones...he's a man wrecker.

Agreed. The bookies make Sonnen 2/7 for the win. Is it fair to say that in footballing terms this match up is like Bayern Munich v Wigan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Fightshop.com

I see where most people are coming from but as we edit Bisping, we see what he is doing in his training and the camp he has around him - let alone the fact he has trained two camps, back to back!!

I know Sonnen is a tough opponent if Mike can't defend the take-down but I know he's been training with some of the best and he will have this nailed.

Sonnen normally outworks his opponents BUT Bisping's cardio is awesome and he could match him here.... Some say Bisping's biggest flaw is his chin BUT Sonnen is not a puncher SO - I would say they are pretty closely matched.

My money is on Mike for an upset (oh and his Sandee training gear has given him special powers ha ha!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

Bisping ko/tko win
    I don't think you are allowed advertise like that, you might want to remove that post.

Bisping ko/tko win
    wow wtf was that? hahaha are you Bispings sponsor?

Bayern v Wigan...... :D
    So no 5 rounder either. Maybe Dana will make an exception. But while Bisbing will more than likely be bounced pillar to post, be slammed about etc, if he's been working his ground game in advance of the Maia fight, i like him to sneak it. Anyway, Sonnen may think this is game over already (listening to the hype machine in his head) and just get lazy.
    I'm not betting with my head anymore, its doing me no use, underdogs and heart all the way. I'm sticking the negative equity on the count.

Bisping ko/tko win
    I see where most people are coming from but as we FIGHTSHOP.COM Bisping, we see what he is doing in his training and the camp he has around him - let alone the fact he has trained two camps, back to back!! Have a look at our Facebook page (FIGHTSHOP) and you can see some of his training camp video logs and his training programme.

I know Sonnen is a tough opponent if Mike can't defend the take-down but I know he's been training with some of the best and he will have this nailed.

Sonnen normally outworks his opponents BUT Bisping's cardio is awesome and he could match him here.... Some say Bisping's biggest flaw is his chin BUT Sonnen is not a puncher SO - I would say they are pretty closely matched.

My money is on Mike for an upset (oh and his Sandee training gear has given him special powers ha ha!)

I see from your site your one of his sponsors... well then you can tell him I said fair play for takin the fight short notice... I wont judge him too badly if he loses and if he wins I'll buy a load of gear off your site and you can get him to sign it for us : )

Yes guys we are the fight gear sponsor of Bisping (Sandee Thailand) and you can see his video blogs on our facebook page etc - it is actually interesting to see him actually training with the likes if Jake Shields, Tiki etc...

Be Like Nutella - if you bought stuff from Fightshop mate we could get it signed for you - in the video you see the camera man (ha ha) - that is Daz Morris who works for us as Business Development Manager - he is Mike's Thai Boxing Coach as well - he runs the biggest Thai Boxing events in the UK (Rumble at The Reebok, The Main Event at Manchester Event City etc)....

As for "Remove the post".....why, it is a material fact that we have access to seeing his training and preparation as we are his sponsor..... I am not listing products and images of our site!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,625 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Bisping decision win
    As much as I wanna see Sonnen win, it is very possible Bisping could open him up with a few punches or catch him in a sub. Thing is Silva would dance around Bisping making a fool out of him for 5 rounds where as Sonnen Silva 2 will be an absolute war as i'm sure Silva doesn't like Sonnen saying he is actually the MW champ in every interview haha.

Either way, Sonnen v Bisping should be the main event, don't mind evans davis!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Bisping ko/tko win
    Fear Uladh wrote: »
    Which is why I said he needs to work on it.

9-10 days will be plenty for him to get up to scratch! :rolleyes:

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Ha ha Sonnen is hilarious - I love it when interviewed he always starts with "I'll be defending my World MW title....." ha ha

I also see he has changed his tune re Bisping - to quote him "If Michael Bisping ever addresses me in public, I will bury him where he stands!"
    Now all of a sudden Bisping gets his respect and Sonnen is actually a fan of Bisping - I tell you why that is.....because now THE FIGHT IS ON and there is a very good chance Mike will beat him! Trust me, Mike's ground work has got 10 times better since his fight with Miller; like he admitted "a performance like that against Silva would not be good enough!"

I think we are in for a Bisping win...... thoughts please!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Bisping ko/tko win
    I tell you why that is.....because now THE FIGHT IS ON and there is a very good chance Mike will beat him! Trust me, Mike's ground work has got 10 times better since his fight with Miller; like he admitted "a performance like that against Silva would not be good enough!"

Deluded comes to my mind-Bisping has a chance of luck like catching a lucky guilotine or ko but thats it.

I actually think sonnen will out strike him on the feet aswell as bash him on the ground.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement

Bisping decision win

Unlike the rest of the forum though you're quite openly biased regarding this fight.

I think Bisping is less of an underdog than people are making him out to be but I still think Chael takes it by UD.

Advertisement