Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ice Hockey on TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Took the plunge and got game centre, Must say its unreal, can watch 4 games on the bounce if thats your thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Took the plunge and got game centre, Must say its unreal, can watch 4 games on the bounce if thats your thing.

Or 8 if you have two monitors!

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Or 8 if you have two monitors!

Thats just greedy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Thats just greedy :D
    I'm relatively new to hockey and only just got GCL so I'm finding it hard to follow 1 puck, never mind 8!

I'm relatively new to hockey and only just got GCL so I'm finding it hard to follow 1 puck, never mind 8!

It does take time, IMO its all a matter of guessing where its going rather than having an eagle eye but you do get used to it. I found it easy when NHL was on Setanta HD, even ESPN America SD was better than the ****e its on now. GCL on Android is perfect quality but on Boxee would be SD

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

The ESPN America coverage was very good, far better than the Setanta coverage which can be very bad. Last night, Flyers v Rangers was fine picture wise but nothing to get excited about. We are stuck with Setanta TV wise for the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭decies

New to ice hockey just got game centre for bruins game tonight and it says its a blackout game ?? Why ?? They never blackout any MLB games.

decies wrote: »
    New to ice hockey just got game centre for bruins game tonight and it says its a blackout game ?? Why ?? They never blackout any MLB games.

It has been discussed on this thread, because Setanta either have live or delayed coverage.

Disgraceful penalty call on Malkin to end the first period. Staal deserved his 2 minutes.

I don't think game is live , anybody know what time delayed game is . Bloody nuisance . Thanks for pm anyways . Probably not the solution for me.

• Advertisement

I don't think game is live , anybody know what time delayed game is . Bloody nuisance . Thanks for pm anyways . Probably not the solution for me.

Had a look there but can't see it listed, weird.

3pm tomorrow . To think I have setanta sports and all . I take it I should expect many blackouts for bruins game then . I can always listen to game audio as I am now .

3pm tomorrow . To think I have setanta sports and all . I take it I should expect many blackouts for bruins game then . I can always listen to game audio as I am now .

Have you not got the option to watch on a PC or Laptop, no? I'd expect quite a few Bruins blackouts, yeah, they're pretty popular.

Devils game sounds like a cracker, if you've any interest in watching that?

Just handier if in scratcher with I pad or I phone , bloody dell laptop is a heavy enough thing lol. Thanks anyways .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

Ice Hockey UK (IHUK) are thrilled to announce that Great Britain’s matches at the Olympic final qualifiers in Riga, Latvia will be shown on ESPN television in the UK and Ireland.

http://www.iihf.com/nc/home-of-hockey/news/news-singleview/recap/7516.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5 misterherro

Are there any pubs in Dublin that show the Stanley Cups playoff? I'm a Caps fan who just moved to Dublin and I've been watching the games online but would love to watch weekend games with other hockey fans, if possible.

(I assume there ain't no chance a pub will show hockey but thought I'd ask anyways.)

Thanks.

Are there any pubs in Dublin that show the Stanley Cups playoff? I'm a Caps fan who just moved to Dublin and I've been watching the games online but would love to watch weekend games with other hockey fans, if possible.

(I assume there ain't no chance a pub will show hockey but thought I'd ask anyways.)

Thanks.

Your biggest problem will be that the games don't start till around 12:30 here which is close to kicking out time for most pubs. And any pub with a late licence will probably be playing music and not have the TVs on

I know most of the games are usually late but last Saturday the puck dropped at 5.30 Dublin time for the Caps-Rangers. Was hoping I might be able to catch a game with others this Sunday.

Setanta have the TV rights for the NHL here and are the only station that show the NHL here and I just checked their schedule and they aren't showing the game on Sunday. Not good if you want to watch it in a pub but good for us with Gamecenter as that means it shouldn't be blacked out.

For future games, check out these the Woolshed which show a lot of sports

http://www.woolshedbaa.com/dublin/

and The Living Room is another

• Advertisement

As mentioned above, for the earlier games the best bets in Dublin are the Woolshed and the Living Room. Unfortunately, the FA Cup final is tomorrow, so mightn't be possible to get it anywhere in Dublin tomorrow.

Thanks, guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭stringbean

Have to say, got Setanta in for the gaelic and have 'forgot' to cancel it so can watch the hockey, the coverage is awful, missed most of the 2nd period of the habs game the other night due to technical difficulties, given how poor they were in the series it mightn't have been a bad thing but it was very frustrating. Here's hoping ESPN america (or its BT equivalent get the rights)

stringbean wrote: »
    Have to say, got Setanta in for the gaelic and have 'forgot' to cancel it so can watch the hockey, the coverage is awful, missed most of the 2nd period of the habs game the other night due to technical difficulties, given how poor they were in the series it mightn't have been a bad thing but it was very frustrating. Here's hoping ESPN america (or its BT equivalent get the rights)

Their commitment to showing it as well is very poor. They don't seem to be showing a good chunk of the games at the most important part of the season. For example, while the Caps play the Rangers tmw evening, they're showing a repeat of some rugby match that they already showed earlier in the day.

And the thing that annoys me the most about them is the blackout deal they got on Gamecenter. I can understand live games they show getting blacked out. That's fair enough. But when a game that isn't been shown live is blacked out because they are showing it at some other time, that's just ridiculous. Without using a VPN there's no way you could watch the Penguins v Islanders live tonight because Setanta are showing it at 3pm tomorrow.

The worst for me was a few weeks when there was a Caps game that was starting at 6pm or sometime early evening on a Sunday over here but I couldn't watch it on Gamecenter because Setanta we're showing it on delay at 4am the next morning. Madness!

Premier Sports who are owned by the same crowd that own Setanta have the rigs over there for the next 4 years I think so it's probably the same deal over here so it looks like we're stuck with them and their appalling coverage for a while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭alanmcl12

I'd get onto the customer care if your getting blacked out of the delayed games, the deal was they are not to be blacked out, personally I'm only blacked out of the live games.
    So you should be able to watch the pens game tonight
    You can get the list of what games do be on here live and delayed http://www.premiersports.tv/

alanmcl12 wrote: »
    I'd get onto the customer care if your getting blacked out of the delayed games, the deal was they are not to be blacked out, personally I'm only blacked out of the live games.
    You can get the list of what games do be on here live and delayed http://www.premiersports.tv/

Thanks. So am I the only one with games on delay getting blacked out then? I must get onto them then.

stringbean wrote: »

The Setanta coverage has been very poor this regular season and extremely poor in the post season. I gave them the benefit of the doubt last year as it was their first season. I have lost count of the amount of times that the coverage has broken "for reasons beyond their control". I will be going for the online option next year. However, ESPN America have the rights to show games. I was talking to people on the Rangers forum last night and they were watching the game last night on ESPN America. They were in New Jersey. Shame it is not over here. I think Sky or ESPN would do a very good job on it. Well, it can't be worse that Setanta.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭alanmcl12

I think ESPN America still has the rights for some parts of Europe like Slovakia, while the UK and Ireland rights went to Premier. So must have been one of them feeds somehow.
    Premier have posted on their facebook saying it was "for reasons beyond their control" again there on Friday.
    Will be poor and disappointing coverage for the next 4/5 years with them holding the rights if they don't sort it out

alanmcl12 wrote: »

Using my home IP address, I'm blackout out of the Caps/Rangers game now. Am I the only one?

• Advertisement

Using my home IP address, I'm blackout out of the Caps/Rangers game now. Am I the only one?

Im watching it on Setanta here. Setanta is premier sports here. (Ireland)

Advertisement