Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ice Hockey on TV

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

No sign of any information in relation to NHL coverage on Setanta at the moment. The NHL page looks bleak and neglected.

I see Sky are showing NBA games now, would be delighted if the took the NHL as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

COYW wrote: »

I see Sky are showing NBA games now, would be delighted if the took the NHL as well.

Premier Sports have the NHL rights in the UK for the next 4-5 years so they won't be on Sky unfortunately. PS are owned by the guy who set up Setanta which is probably why we ended up with Setanta having the Irish rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I'm awaiting an update on the GameCenter package on NHL.com

It was absolutely invaluable last year, the television coverage was awful for the most part.

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    It was absolutely invaluable last year, the television coverage was awful for the most part.

Interesting to see if Setanta's is any better this year. If they had the analysis between periods and they stuck to the US tv advert schedule, I would be happy. HNIC would be a welcome bonus.

Otherwise it'll be the latest installments of "In Depth with Graham Bensinger" over and over again.

Interesting to see if Setanta's is any better this year. If they had the analysis between periods and they stuck to the US tv advert schedule, I would be happy. HNIC would be a welcome bonus.

Otherwise it'll be the latest installments of "In Depth with Graham Bensinger" over and over again.

Anything but that. I know each episode word for word at this stage.

• Advertisement

I'm awaiting an update on the GameCenter package on NHL.com

As we're getting half a season, do you reckon the price will be roughly half the full cost or will there will a discount to make it up to the fans? How much was it for the full season last year by the way?

As we're getting half a season, do you reckon the price will be roughly half the full cost or will there will a discount to make it up to the fans? How much was it for the full season last year by the way?

It cost €120 for the full 2011-2012 season, which included playoffs from what I remember. I'd hope they'll have some sort of an offer to entice fans back, there is (rightly) an awful lot of bad feeling towards the league and teams after the lockout. But I wouldn't be surprised if they went pro-rata and charged for the 48 games.

I read the Penguins statement to the fans earlier today and it was grovelling of the highest order, they're obviously worried their 5 season streak of sellouts may be at risk.

I read the Penguins statement to the fans earlier today and it was grovelling of the highest order, they're obviously worried their 5 season streak of sellouts may be at risk.

I got ticket mails from the Rangers too. Getting the word out about upcoming ticket sales for games. Full of really OTT praise for your "amazing" support etc. With the Knicks going so well and the baseball season only a few months away, I'd say they are worried about ticket sales. A fair few on the Rangers forums are not going this season with lads offering their season tickets for rental per game.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭alanmcl12

I've heard talk that Gamecenter Live could be free this year as a way to entice fans back.
    If it is I wonder if it'll be worldwide or just for the U.S and Canada

alanmcl12 wrote: »
    I've heard talk that Gamecenter Live could be free this year as a way to entice fans back.
    If it is I wonder if it'll be worldwide or just for the U.S and Canada

I can't see that working, considering that US/Canadian fans are primarily threatening to watch the games at home / the pub and therefore avoid giving money directly to the clubs. I would say Gamecenter will be charged at a similar rate to last year.

• Advertisement

I mailed Setanta about their coverage this evening. I also asked about a promotional code for people joining for the NHL. Last year we got the first 3 months half price. I will report back when they respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭cena

Noticed today that ESPN are now showing the KHL. They had Dinamo Riga v Metallurg Mg on at 2pm this afternoon.

I only seen one khl game. Not been on since

cena wrote: »

I only seen one khl game. Not been on since

It has been on Setanta 1 daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭cena

It has been on Setanta 1 daily.

i don't have that channel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

logged onto gamecenter yesterday and noticed that I can still access all the stanley cup matches (Im not aware that they have taken the subscription as I changed cards etc.)

...just working my way through the pens / flyers 3rd game .... it is a bit tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Dublinproud

Whats everyone on here doing for the upcoming season?

Is it worth signing up for Setanta? Some guys on here were saying that they dont even show Coach's Corner or Hot Stove? Is that true? I'm a fan of Don Cherry so that would piss me off.

If i sign up for Gamecentre will i then be able to watch HNIC from start to finish and will any games be blacked out over here?

And hockey streams? Sounds good put whats the quality like and is it legal?

I'm very excited about the new season but they really don't make it easy for European fans to get their hockey fill.

Any advice here greatly appreciated.

Whats everyone on here doing for the upcoming season?

Is it worth signing up for Setanta? Some guys on here were saying that they dont even show Coach's Corner or Hot Stove? Is that true? I'm a fan of Don Cherry so that would piss me off.

If i sign up for Gamecentre will i then be able to watch HNIC from start to finish and will any games be blacked out over here?

And hockey streams? Sounds good put whats the quality like and is it legal?

I'm very excited about the new season but they really don't make it easy for European fans to get their hockey fill.

Any advice here greatly appreciated.

Gamecenter is the only legal stream, and I swear by it. I can't remember for certain if it had Hockey Night in Canada last year, because I tended to watch those on TV.

I'm just waiting for some sort of announcement / pricing for Gamecenter for 2013 before I make a decision. Haven't heard of any of the UPC TV channels showing the NHL this year, at this point.

I mailed Setanta looking for confirmation regarding coverage but I got no reply. I just checked the listings and they have NHL marked on the schedule on Saturday night but there are no game details, so it could be a repeat from last season. I'll give them a call and ask them.

Edit : I called them and was told to drop customer services an email, as they are unsure whether or not they will be covering it this season. Customer services are not in the office today!

The price for Gamecenter Live is up on the website now.
    It costs 49.99 us dollars so works out at around 37.50 euro.

As far as I remember for some of the cbc intermissions weren't shown, so there wasn't any coach's corner available. only ones i remember were CSN, TSN and NBC broadcasts had any intermission showings

alanmcl12 wrote: »
    The price for Gamecenter Live is up on the website now.
    It costs 49.99 us dollars so works out at around 37.50 euro.

As far as I remember for some of the cbc intermissions weren't shown, so there wasn't any coach's corner available. only ones i remember were CSN, TSN and NBC broadcasts had any intermission showings

That is genuinely fantastic value. For access to 720 live regular season games and the playoffs, you'd be mad not to get it. Even for just the regular season, it is 99 days of constant hockey.

From the T&C's it does state:
    As discussed above, nationally televised games broadcast in your country or programming area will be blacked out and not available for viewing on NHL GameCenter LIVE. Accordingly, NHL GameCenter LIVE will not include access to any NHL playoffgames (including the Stanley Cup Finals) that are being televised nationally in your country or programming area. For more information about NHL GameCenter LIVE, please go to http://gamecenter.nhl.com/nhlgc/help.htm

But I'm 99% sure that all the games last season that were shown on Irish television were also on Gamecenter. In fact, I've never seen a blackout on any game on Gamecenter.

• Advertisement

But I'm 99% sure that all the games last season that were shown on Irish television were also on Gamecenter. In fact, I've never seen a blackout on any game on Gamecenter.

Can you remember whether that t&c was there last year? There was no blackout for Irish viewers of NFL's Gamepass last year either I don't think but there was this season.

That is genuinely fantastic value. For access to 720 live regular season games and the playoffs, you'd be mad not to get it. Even for just the regular season, it is 99 days of constant hockey.

From the T&C's it does state:

I can't find anything about if the playoffs are included. Sent an email and they said
    "Registration for GameCenter Live in Europe and the Middle East is now available (except in Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Norway and Iceland where prohibited). The FAQs and Terms of Service will be updated shortly to reflect this change in territorial restrictions. We appreciate your patience in this matter."
    So hopefully will find out soon. Still decent value if the playoffs aren't included.

I didn't experience and blackouts last year, just some intermission feeds weren't shown. Think blackouts only apply to U.S and Canada due local and national broadcasts

I mailed Setanta looking for confirmation regarding coverage but I got no reply. I just checked the listings and they have NHL marked on the schedule on Saturday night but there are no game details, so it could be a repeat from last season. I'll give them a call and ask them.

Edit : I called them and was told to drop customer services an email, as they are unsure whether or not they will be covering it this season. Customer services are not in the office today!

There aren't any games on live at 10pm-Midnight on Saturday so it can't be a live one. There are 8pm and midnight games on Saturday night.
    Can you remember whether that t&c was there last year? There was no blackout for Irish viewers of NFL's Gamepass last year either I don't think but there was this season.

I'm fairly sure it was, but can't say for sure. I wouldn't be too worried about it in any case, since the amount of hockey shown here is minimal to say the least and Setanta haven't announced anything about showing games this season yet.

K so I'm deffo getting Gamecentre now!

Any of you guys stream from your PS3? Thats the route i'll be going.

K so I'm deffo getting Gamecentre now!

Any of you guys stream from your PS3? Thats the route i'll be going.

That's the one bad point from last season, it wasn't compatible with the PS3 outside North America.

That's the one bad point from last season, it wasn't compatible with the PS3 outside North America.

CRAP! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

That's a great price for regular season games. I was all on for signing up for hockeystreams.com this time as part of my protest but at that price I'd only be shooting myself in the foot. Was hoping the PS3 streaming was an option. Does anyone know if it will work with a US psn account as I have one.

I like a lot of people are, am attracted by the price and I'd be a first time subscriber if I do sign up. I have a question for NHL regulars though, are there many games on during the afternoons (US time), well at weekends anyway? I'm getting old so the days of staying up til 3am watching telly are well gone now so it'd be just highlights or replays that I'd be watching the next day. But it'd be nice to get some live games at weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭aaronm13

I like a lot of people are, am attracted by the price and I'd be a first time subscriber if I do sign up. I have a question for NHL regulars though, are there many games on during the afternoons (US time), well at weekends anyway? I'm getting old so the days of staying up til 3am watching telly are well gone now so it'd be just highlights or replays that I'd be watching the next day. But it'd be nice to get some live games at weekends.
    You can watch full games when it suits you so no staying up all night. Sunday usually has a game of the week which is on between 6-8 Irish time.

• Advertisement

You can get an idea of the schedule here: http://www.nhl.com/ice/schedulebyseason.htm#?navid=nav-sch-sea

(Irish times below, not factoring in that glorious week of DST when the US time zones are an hour closer to us)

2 x 5pm starts
    2 x 5.30pm starts
    17 x 6pm starts
    7 x 7pm starts
    26 x 8pm starts
    2 x 8.30pm starts
    7 x 9pm starts
    7 x 10pm starts
    1 x 10.30pm start
    15 x 11pm starts
    216 x 12am starts
    113 x 12.30am starts