Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ice Hockey on TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,974 ✭✭✭cena

That is a great price. do the games come in none hd. I don't want to eat at the boardband allowance

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

cena wrote: »
    That is a great price. do the games come in none hd. I don't want to eat at the boardband allowance

Yes, you can choose the bandwidth you want to use. From memory it goes 300k, 600k and 1200k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

I was wondering about this. I can still log into Gamecenter and watch games on the iPad app. Still no indication of asking for a fee or anything, though that may change over the next few days.

But even if its 40 odd euro then it's well worth it for what yr getting.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

I was wondering about this. I can still log into Gamecenter and watch games on the iPad app. Still no indication of asking for a fee or anything, though that may change over the next few days.

But even if its 40 odd euro then it's well worth it for what yr getting.

Was thinking that myself. Might leave it until opening day and see what happens... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Dublinproud

aaronm13 wrote: »
    That's a great price for regular season games. I was all on for signing up for hockeystreams.com this time as part of my protest but at that price I'd only be shooting myself in the foot. Was hoping the PS3 streaming was an option. Does anyone know if it will work with a US psn account as I have one.[/QUO

I'd also like to know this as in is there a work around this problem?

Dont wanna get banned here!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Reading on the NFLUK forum that premier Sports in the UK are claiming that they'll have blackouts on the games they'll be showing despite there never being blackouts over there before. This got me worried about us here as we never had blackouts before so I dropped a line off to their live chat. I simply asked "will there be a blackout in Ireland?" and this is what I got back

18:42Leo G.: At this time we are awaiting word from NHL regarding that issue in UK/Ireland.
    18:42Leo G.: You'll need to check back later or tomorrow for better information.

As long as Gamecenter works I'll be happy enough. Still no sign of anything from them about a new subscription, watched game 7 of the Bruins Canucks series today. Great to have the hockey feeling back.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

As long as Gamecenter works I'll be happy enough. Still no sign of anything from them about a new subscription, watched game 7 of the Bruins Canucks series today. Great to have the hockey feeling back.

Have you not seen this?

https://gamecenter.nhl.com/nhlgc/secure/gclsignup

Of course, I have it installed. What I mean is I can still log in and use but have got no request to renew subscription for this season. The app updated today to the 2013 version, but I can still access with my subscription from last season, and use all the features of a premium account. Now that may change in the next few days obviously.

Of course, I have it installed. What I mean is I can still log in and use but have got no request to renew subscription for this season. The app updated today to the 2013 version, but I can still access with my subscription from last season, and use all the features of a premium account. Now that may change in the next few days obviously.

Ah, ok. Sorry didn't understand what you meant. With a bit of luck it won't change!

• Advertisement

Just out of interest as well, does anyone else here use NHL Vault to watch old games? I find it brilliant to watch some of the old classic series. What you get out of a NHL Gamecenter subscription, I've never found value like it in any other medium.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭alanmcl12

Reading the HFBoards forum the NHL are saying there will be no blackouts in Europe as blackouts are for Nationally broadcast games.

But premier sports are saying the 15 games they cover will be. Don't know how that will effect Ireland. Hopefully they can't block out anything.

The playoffs should also be available here and only blacked out in US and Canada due to every game being nationally broadcast.

Hope this helps. This is where i gathered it all from http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1255673&page=35

alanmcl12 wrote: »
    Reading the HFBoards forum the NHL are saying there will be no blackouts in Europe as blackouts are for Nationally broadcast games.

But premier sports are saying the 15 games they cover will be. Don't know how that will effect Ireland. Hopefully they can't block out anything.

The playoffs should also be available here and only blacked out in US and Canada due to every game being nationally broadcast.

Hope this helps. This is where i gathered it all from http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1255673&page=35

It would be really shitty if Premier Sports games were blocked out for Irish users, since UPC customers don't even have the option to subscribe to Premier Sports. A tad unfair.

Hopefully not going to be the case, anyway.

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    It would be really shitty if Premier Sports games were blocked out for Irish users, since UPC customers don't even have the option to subscribe to Premier Sports. A tad unfair.

Hopefully not going to be the case, anyway.

Can Sky subscribers get Premier Sports over here? I'm with UPC and can't get it. I think it's a bit cheeky them putting on their website "Live games selected for broadcast on Premier Sports are exclusive and therefore not shown on NHL Gamecenter Live within the Uk and Ireland" if you can't even get the channel here.

Can Sky subscribers get Premier Sports over here?

As far as I know they can. I don't fancy switching TV providers for 15 NHL games... :)

As far as I know they can. I don't fancy switching TV providers for 15 NHL games... :)

Nah, me neither. I was just curious.

I had a go at subscribing just to see and the only option in the 'country' field is the UK so I wonder can Sky customers get it. The more I think about it I doubt they can. They have GAA on PS so surely that would go against whatever deals the GAA have with RTE, TG4 etc.

What channel is it on ? I flicked through the listing on Sky and couldn't find it. My subscription is with sky not UPC.

What channel is it on ? I flicked through the listing on Sky and couldn't find it. My subscription is with sky not UPC.

Looking back through some threads on here, it looks like it was available in the past but isn't any longer. It's more for ex-pats in the UK, showing Airtricity League and GAA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

No reply from customer services but Setanta have updated their Irish site's NHL section with the following :
    The Lock-out may have shortened the season but it has made the new season format all the more action packed. Last season’s NHL proved to be one with many twists and turns but in the end Los Angeles Kings were named 2012 Stanley Cup champions. This season Setanta Sports 1 will show up to 15 games each week and this year Setanta will also have the flagship NHL TONIGHT show which captures the best of the analysis and round-ups for all the games.

The first 2 months are half price and a €9.99 connection fee.

Looks like their will be blackouts this year with Setanta carrying it.
    The terms have been updated on the GCL page to:

"You may be blacked out of games on NHL GameCenter LIVE™ for one of the following reasons:
    The game you are trying to access is being televised on a local over-the-air station and you are located within that station's signal.
    The game you are trying to access is being televised on a regional sports network and your cable or satellite system falls within the distribution for that regional sports network (regardless of whether your cable or satellite system actually carries that regional sports network).
    The game you are trying to access is being televised on a national network. In the U.S. this includes NBC, NBC Sports Network and NHL Network. In Canada this includes CBC, NHL Network™, RDS and TSN."

• Advertisement

alanmcl12 wrote: »
    Looks like their will be blackouts this year with Setanta carrying it.
    The terms have been updated on the GCL page to:

"You may be blacked out of games on NHL GameCenter LIVE™ for one of the following reasons:
    The game you are trying to access is being televised on a local over-the-air station and you are located within that station's signal.
    The game you are trying to access is being televised on a regional sports network and your cable or satellite system falls within the distribution for that regional sports network (regardless of whether your cable or satellite system actually carries that regional sports network).
    The game you are trying to access is being televised on a national network. In the U.S. this includes NBC, NBC Sports Network and NHL Network. In Canada this includes CBC, NHL Network™, RDS and TSN."

I'd be fairly sure that was in the T&C's last year and applied to the US and Canada, but not Europe (or at least not Ireland). I'm more than happy to give it a bash and see what happens anyway, not going to miss too much over the first few days if there are blackouts.

Got a reply from Setanta this morning confirming that they will be showing NHL games this season starting on the 19th. The schedule is as follows :

Date – Time – Match – Setanta Sports 1 Coverage
    Jan 19 – 8pm – Pittsburgh v Philadelphia – Live
    Jan 19 – 8pm – Chicago v Los Angeles – Shown Sunday 09.00
    Jan 19 – 12am – Toronto v Montreal – Live
    Jan 19 – 12am – Washington v Tampa Bay – Shown Sunday 11.00
    Jan 19 – 2am – Colorado v Minnesota – Join in Progress
    Jan 20 – 5.30pm – Philadelphia v Buffalo – Live
    Jan 20 – 1am – Dallas v Minnestota – Live
    Mon 21 – 6pm – Winnipeg v Boston – Airing at 22.00
    Mon 21 – 2am – Anaheim v Calgary – Live
    Tue 22 – 12am – Tampa Bay v Carolina – Live
    Wed 23 – 12am – Toronto v Pittsburgh – Live
    Wed 23 – 3am – Calgary v Vancouver – Live
    Thu 24 – 12am – NY Rangers v Philadelphia – Live
    Thu 24- 3.30am – Phoenix v San Jose – Live
    Fri 25 – 12.30am – Minnesota v Detroit – Live

The first two months are half price at €8.49

COYW wrote: »
    Got a reply from Setanta this morning confirming that they will be showing NHL games this season starting on the 19th. The schedule is as follows :

Date – Time – Match – Setanta Sports 1 Coverage
    Jan 19 – 8pm – Pittsburgh v Philadelphia – Live
    Jan 19 – 8pm – Chicago v Los Angeles – Shown Sunday 09.00
    Jan 19 – 12am – Toronto v Montreal – Live
    Jan 19 – 12am – Washington v Tampa Bay – Shown Sunday 11.00
    Jan 19 – 2am – Colorado v Minnesota – Join in Progress
    Jan 20 – 5.30pm – Philadelphia v Buffalo – Live
    Jan 20 – 1am – Dallas v Minnestota – Live
    Mon 21 – 6pm – Winnipeg v Boston – Airing at 22.00
    Mon 21 – 2am – Anaheim v Calgary – Live
    Tue 22 – 12am – Tampa Bay v Carolina – Live
    Wed 23 – 12am – Toronto v Pittsburgh – Live
    Wed 23 – 3am – Calgary v Vancouver – Live
    Thu 24 – 12am – NY Rangers v Philadelphia – Live
    Thu 24- 3.30am – Phoenix v San Jose – Live
    Fri 25 – 12.30am – Minnesota v Detroit – Live

The first two months are half price at €8.49

Don't suppose they mentioned anything about a blackout?

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭brianomc

For those of you who subscribed to GCL last year and were wondering about renewing I emailed them about it and was told that I will be auto-renewed and the money will come off my card on Monday the 21st.

It suits me because I was going to renew anyway, but some of you might not want to.

Does anyone know how long blackedout games are usually blackedout for? I know it says up to 48 hours but is it really that long. It's not much fun watching a game until 3am and getting up for work at 6 so I would watch it when I get home instead. Will I be able to or will I have to wait 2 days?

Not impressed with the games being on SS1 instead of SS Ireland which comes free with upc but at least when there are evening games (irish time) there's usually a choice to watch. Had planned on Pit vs Phi on Saturday but I might have to check the schedule again now I guess.

Edit: It's great to actually be complaining about having too much hockey on tv

brianomc wrote: »
    For those of you who subscribed to GCL last year and were wondering about renewing I emailed them about it and was told that I will be auto-renewed and the money will come off my card on Monday the 21st.

It suits me because I was going to renew anyway, but some of you might not want to.

Does anyone know how long blackedout games are usually blackedout for? I know it says up to 48 hours but is it really that long. It's not much fun watching a game until 3am and getting up for work at 6 so I would watch it when I get home instead. Will I be able to or will I have to wait 2 days?

Not impressed with the games being on SS1 instead of SS Ireland which comes free with upc but at least when there are evening games (irish time) there's usually a choice to watch. Had planned on Pit vs Phi on Saturday but I might have to check the schedule again now I guess.

No experience with blacked-out games fortunately, as Irish subscribers to Gamecenter have never had that issue before. Fingers crossed it is the same this year.

Don't suppose they mentioned anything about a blackout?

Nope, nothing. So i'm hoping that it is not going to be a issue for us here. They just confirmed that they will be showing NHL starting on Saturday and gave me the schedule, which gives me the understanding that the blackout is a non-issue. If the blackout was an issue, I would expect them to put in a note relating to it. The games are on their listings now too. I just checked Sky. They had no fixtures when I looked the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

There were no blackouts in the UK last year, I'm hoping that the same happens this year. If not, and if they have 48 hours delay as well, I think my CGL subscription becomes a waste of money :/

There were no blackouts in the UK last year, I'm hoping that the same happens this year. If not, and if they have 48 hours delay as well, I think my CGL subscription becomes a waste of money :/

There are definitely blackouts in the Uk next year. Here's a response from NHL to my query about blackouts for us. I asked about Ireland but seemed to get a standard UK/Ire response

"Thanks for your feedback. Any games appearing on Premier Sports will be blacked out live in NHL GameCenter LIVE. This includes up to 15 games per week. These games will be available for access 48 hours after the conclusion of the live game in the NHL GameCenter LIVE on-demand archive. "

Good news folks. I wrote to them again and here's what I got this time

"Hello,

At this moment black out restrictions apply for Regular Season and Stanley Cup Playoffs + Finals for the following countries the United States, Canada and the UK.

In the United States games on NBC, NBC Sports and NHL Network will be blacked out

In Canada games on TSN, TSN2, CBC and NHL Network will be blacked out

Also in the United States and Canada, local market team blackouts apply on all games, you can find what teams you are blacked out for here http://www.nhl.com/ice/ziplookup.htm

In the UK games on Premier Sports will be blacked out. There are no local market team blackouts for the UK.

At this time no other countries have blackout restrictions. If you are still unsure of the blackout situation in your area, please let us know and we will be further assist you.

Thank You

NHL Support"

• Advertisement

Good news folks. I wrote to them again and here's what I got this time

"Hello,

At this moment black out restrictions apply for Regular Season and Stanley Cup Playoffs + Finals for the following countries the United States, Canada and the UK.

In the United States games on NBC, NBC Sports and NHL Network will be blacked out

In Canada games on TSN, TSN2, CBC and NHL Network will be blacked out

Also in the United States and Canada, local market team blackouts apply on all games, you can find what teams you are blacked out for here http://www.nhl.com/ice/ziplookup.htm

In the UK games on Premier Sports will be blacked out. There are no local market team blackouts for the UK.

At this time no other countries have blackout restrictions. If you are still unsure of the blackout situation in your area, please let us know and we will be further assist you.

Thank You

NHL Support"

Unfortunately Ireland is covered, I got this mail and said Premier sports isn't available here they replied:
    "Greetings,

unfortunately your GameCenter LIVE will be blacked out in Ireland but we are still waiting for the confirmation on who will be owning the broadcasting rights in IRELAND.

Thank you for you patience."

Advertisement