Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Activision blizzard getting **** on for supporting this after how they dealt with Hong Kong protests.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

ERG89 wrote: »
    They probably don't live in a bubble so know that most eyes are on America right now so maybe its not the time to be showing gameplay footage of the PS5 in between protesters getting tazzed, ran over and tear gassed.
    I bet some people here genuinely think E3 would still be going ahead this if it wasn't already cancelled.

Yeah, cancelling this event has absolutely nothing to do with the console industry or anything in it, it's just that most media outlets are rightfully focused on these protests, and doing or saying anything could get your company embroiled in the backlash.

As an aside, I really don't think that Sony care about the way Microsoft are announcing stuff. They're marching to their own beat, a privilege that they've earned by absolutely dominating for an entire console generation. If they start banging on about getting a second job to afford the PS5, or how the next gen starts when they say it does, then I'll believe that they've got a comms problem, but for now, they really don't need to announce anything for a console that you can't buy for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

Varik wrote: »
    Activision blizzard getting **** on for supporting this after how they dealt with Hong Kong protests.

When the Blitzchung controversy happened I already decided to terminate my account and anything associated with Blizzard .
    Ive few Hong Kong friends who have been telling me what had been happening to their city and how scared they are for their family and friends . it really broke my heart.
    One of my friends posted a picture of her injuries just by simply walking home from work. **** Blizzard .

CatInABox wrote: »
    As an aside, I really don't think that Sony care about the way Microsoft are announcing stuff. They're marching to their own beat, a privilege that they've earned by absolutely dominating for an entire console generation. If they start banging on about getting a second job to afford the PS5, or how the next gen starts when they say it does, then I'll believe that they've got a comms problem, but for now, they really don't need to announce anything for a console that you can't buy for months.
    Yes but they're not going to make the same mistake of showing gameplay footage with no gameplay. We'll see, if they come out with actual gameplay then I'll have no doubts there will have been some degree of rework done as a result of the Xbox "gameplay" reveal.

ERG89 wrote: »
    They probably don't live in a bubble so know that most eyes are on America right now so maybe its not the time to be showing gameplay footage of the PS5 in between protesters getting tazzed, ran over and tear gassed.
    I bet some people here genuinely think E3 would still be going ahead this if it wasn't already cancelled.
    I agree they obviously think it's not the right time but the reason why it's not the right time is because the event would get little media attention and there is a risk of some backlash. It makes absolutely no sense for a video game marketing show to be postponed in solidarity with a political movement. It's all about being woke on social media. Literally, the word "woke" came from the black lives matter movement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I agree they obviously think it's not the right time but the reason why it's not the right time is because the event would get little media attention and there is a risk of some backlash. It makes absolutely no sense for a video game marketing show to be postponed in solidarity with a political movement. It's all about being woke on social media. Literally, the word "woke" came from the black lives matter movement.

Not quite. It was first used back in the 60's, but again to highlight racism against black people. But the BlackLivesMatter movement took over it. I do agree it's just bandwagoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,488 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Wow, EA donating 1 mil to fight racial injustice and changing work practices like adding paid days for staff to go volunteer and help out.

https://www.ea.com/news/ea-actions-against-racial-injustice?isLocalized=true

• Registered Users Posts: 29,488 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Take Two being ****ty assholes, I'm shocked.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1268136203158765568?s=19

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Shoot, I hadn't known the KSP devs were kaput; that's sad news. Saw there was a sequel but hadn't realised it was another dev team - nor that it spawned from corporate shenanigans. What was the play here by 2K? Absorb a studio and rejig the contracts to favour 2K?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Has anyone seen anything about this Sega related story that a Famitsu journo is going to reveal this week? He's hyping it up ta ****, saying it'll "rile up the industry" and other hyperbole. Speculation is rife, from predictions that Sega are releasing a console, to their being bought out by MS.

So, this is the scoop........

https://twitter.com/serkantoto/status/1268054677834174464?s=20

Unlikely to be relevant for us over here then.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,819 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Everytime a big videogame corporation announces they have a massive game industry changing announcement we all get excited and then they come out with garbage like this.

I mean we all should have learned our lesson when the Microsoft announces a 'megaton' game coming back for the Xbox 360 and it turned out to be Pac-Man championship edition (which at least was pretty damn great)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭quokula

pixelburp wrote: »
    Shoot, I hadn't known the KSP devs were kaput; that's sad news. Saw there was a sequel but hadn't realised it was another dev team - nor that it spawned from corporate shenanigans. What was the play here by 2K? Absorb a studio and rejig the contracts to favour 2K?

Actually the original KSP devs are still going - they sold the rights to the game to Take Two a while back as they decided to move on to (as yet undisclosed) other things - they're actually a small marketing firm based in Mexico and have never made a game other than Kerbal which was a bit of a passion project, so it's very possible they've left games entirely behind now.

Star Theory, the studio being discussed here, is a completely different company, who had no previous connection to KSP before Take Two contracted them to build KSP 2. They developed Planetary Annihilation 6 years ago, but don't have a very convincing track record otherwise, so it's very possible weren't meeting the standards expected in the development of KSP2. Not that it necessarily justifies Take Two's behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Take Two being ****ty assholes, I'm shocked.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1268136203158765568?s=19

I always imagine that this mass poaching of staff happens quite a lot in the game industry. Often you see company X is taken over and then some big name there leaves and after a few years they are basically a different company fron what they were bought for

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,819 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yes but this is different. That is people leaving to follow someone they respect in the industry to work on more creative projects.

This is a big faceless corporation closing down a small developer then offering jobs to people they made unemployed to save money.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I think I'm beginning to see why Ireland hasn't more game dev companies. Couldn't get away with that over here!

Construction has plenty of it here, expecially in pharma.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Kingdoms of Amalur is getting a remaster on the 11th of August, I always thought it was a very underrated and overlooked game when it first came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭quokula

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Yes but this is different. That is people leaving to follow someone they respect in the industry to work on more creative projects.

This is a big faceless corporation closing down a small developer then offering jobs to people they made unemployed to save money.

Take Two didn't close down Star Theory - they offered Star Theory work and then later decided to take it away. They had no responsibility to Star Theory, and I imagine the employees who Take Two then offered work to (at a higher salary) don't hold a grudge against them.

Take Two owned the KSP IP and contracted Start Theory to make KSP2 - Star Theory had no previous relationship to KSP and no divine right to develop the game, only a contract that was agreed between them and Take Two.

To cancel the contract legally they would have to have met whatever clauses were set out in the contract - of course it will probably have been a one-sided contract to begin with when drawn up between Take Two's legal team and a small developer, but there will still have been some protections.

In any case, we don't know why Take Two cancelled the contract. Maybe they're just assholes who randomly cancel contracts for no reason, or maybe Star Theory just weren't living up to their obligations, in terms of schedule or quality. The second one is more likely because they may be a heartless corporation but they're not stupid and the decision will have been driven by the belief that a more profitable product could be built by taking the development in house.

Given that the contract was cancelled, I don't see it as a bad thing that Take Two offered jobs to individuals from Star Theory in order for them to continue development of the game in house - the staff themselves are quoted as saying they were given generous offers. If 30 people were working on a game for a small company for a given salary, and those 30 people are now working on the same game for a bigger company at a higher salary, none of them have really lost out.

The only losers seem to be the senior management at Star Theory, who's responsibility was to meet whatever obligations were in the contract, or to have other contracts lined up if they failed to. They wouldn't have gone bust any more slowly if Take Two hadn't hired a bunch of their staff away - in fact they would have had a bigger salary bill to try and meet.

Don't get me wrong, there are many examples in the games industry of corporations taking over development studios just to gut them and exploit their IP, but there are also a lot of small dev studios who are poorly managed and exploit their employees. The fact that so many of Star Theory's employees jumped ship to Take Two suggests this might have been the second case, and we really don't have enough facts to paint Take Two as the bad guys.

Xenji wrote: »
    Kingdoms of Amalur is getting a remaster on the 11th of August, I always thought it was a very underrated and overlooked game when it first came out.

Remember picking it up in the weeks before Mass Effect 3 was released to fill the gap and thoroughly enjoyed it .

• Advertisement

Probably nobody will care about this but they should.

Clockwork Aquario, a game made and finished by Westone but mothballed due to the changing arcade market is finally coming out on switch and maybe other platforms.

The creator has been working for years to try and get this game published in some way.

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/06/clockwork-aquario-cancelled-westone-bit-entertainment-arcade-game-from-1992-coming-to-ps4-and-switch-in-2020

• Registered Users Posts: 45,055 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Probably nobody will care about this but they should.

Clockwork Aquario, a game made and finished by Westone but mothballed due to the changing arcade market is finally coming out on switch and maybe other platforms.

The creator has been working for years to try and get this game published in some way.

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/06/clockwork-aquario-cancelled-westone-bit-entertainment-arcade-game-from-1992-coming-to-ps4-and-switch-in-2020

Why should people care?

Because if you followed it it's been a huge ordeal for the creator for over a decade to try and get the game released. It's one of the holy Grails of unreleased games to try and get it out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

EA put a chunk of games on Steam today. Plus EA Access is coming soon too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

New Bloodborne to PC rumours have surfaced. Highly unlikely, but I'm awake at 04:40 thanks to nesting crows outside my window, so screw it, you get to read about it too.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1268661272557449216?s=20

Full "story" with other "sources" on DSOG.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

kRLQ3jg.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,701 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Why should people care?

Clockwork-Aquario_2020_06-04-20_002.jpg

You might want to double-check if you have a soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Clockwork Aquario was also designed by Ryuichi Nishizawa who created the Wonder Boy series, so there is good pedigree.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭daheadonu

Serious lack of mass effect 3 though, although I'm not sure if I would buy everything again

• Advertisement

All the not E3 streams for today (6th) are cancelled and moved a week.

Guerrilla collective (not the sony dev)
    PC gaming show
    Future games show,

and for next week the week long Steam game festival and the steam VR showcase are all moved a week

Only thing still going on soon is the Destiny 2 new season reveal (possible new y4 stuff), which is being shown off before right before it goes live on Tuesday. Doubt that'll get moved since the content's meant to go live and Bungie are on thin ice with the players already for the last 3 season being poor.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement