Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,823 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

But not Dark Souls?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

dreamers75 wrote: »

Care to elaborate? means nothing without some back story

• Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Motive Montreal were the crowd working on the other Star Wars title for EA, and it looks like they're about ready to reveal it. Rumours are that it'll be a "smaller, more unusual" title for a SW game, whatever that means. Deck builder? Porg puzzler? June 2nd is the date apparently.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1266102714943115273?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 28,816 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Care to elaborate? means nothing without some back story

It's in the article when you click on the link. The the gist is in the first paragraph
    Last week, on May 20, 2020, we were alerted to claims that an article we published back in 2016, titled 'Why do League of Legends players hate Teemo?', contained similarities to the YouTube video 'Why League Players HATE Teemo' by Gbay99.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,823 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

At least we are hearing something, getting a little worried the PS5 will be a PS3 level disaster.

Hope some good exclusives are announced and it's not just a third party fest full of games I have no interest in playing and/or can play on any other platform.

No hopeful though. Sony can F up spectacularly and could be a bunch of CGI trailers and updated PS4 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,489 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

The black controller is looking lovely thank ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,894 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    The black controller is looking lovely thank ****.

That could just be the white controller with a dark light shining over it

Still dont understand why Sony never released a native driver for PC for their controllers.

That PS5 one is a nice/comfy looking controller.

• Advertisement

Still dont understand why Sony never released a native driver for PC for their controllers.

That PS5 one is a nice/comfy looking controller.

Could be MS preventing them in some way? so yo grab an XBOX one controller instead?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Steam has it. And I have played some other games that had native support for it too. Devs can put in support if they want.

Yeah PS4 controllers are plug and play. Ps3 wasn't. You needed fan drivers but the most popular one was Chinese spyware

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    At least we are hearing something, getting a little worried the PS5 will be a PS3 level disaster.

Hope some good exclusives are announced and it's not just a third party fest full of games I have no interest in playing and/or can play on any other platform.

No hopeful though. Sony can F up spectacularly and could be a bunch of CGI trailers and updated PS4 games.
    Whats a "PS3 level disaster"?

Yeah PS4 controllers are plug and play. Ps3 wasn't. You needed fan drivers but the most popular one was Chinese spyware

Thats still the case with DS4Windows.

Shame really would switch to those rather than having 3 xbox pads in PC.

Thargor wrote: »
    Whats a "PS3 level disaster"?

https://youtu.be/1S40_MCMZHk

I mean do I even have to link to a video or is everyone so young they don't remember how badly Sony struggles with the ps3?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

PS3 was great

• Registered Users Posts: 13,824 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

J Mysterio wrote: »
    PS3 was great towards the end of its life

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

https://youtu.be/1S40_MCMZHk

I mean do I even have to link to a video or is everyone so young they don't remember how badly Sony struggles with the ps3?

I wasn't paying any attention to gaming at all when the PS3 came out so all of that palaver passed me by - I was knee deep in nappies at the time. I'd also never picked up a PS2 even though it's had the OG PS because I spent all my spare money on records and saving for a house so gaming was in my radar for a long while.

I only ended up buying a PS3 at the end of it's life cycle having won a Vita the year before. I had completely missed out on basically all of that generation's life cycle. We did have a Wii but with kids too young to appreciate and sleepless nights and an almost 4 hour commute at the time, it didn't get much use. The video was very informative so thanks for sharing it It's kind of amazing how they managed to finally overtake 360 sales considering how terribly it handled everything at the beginning. How come XBox struggled so badly in this generation compared to the PlayStation? I know their launch was a bit of a laughing stock but it seems to have been nothing compared to the disaster of the PS3.

Well despite the PS3 being a complete turd at launch it had built up a massive following of fanboys over 2 generation who bought it and defended it. PlayStation was also synonymous with games then as well whereas the original Xbox had a tiny market share. It meant that the PlayStation 3 did reasonably well and didn't totally tank and by 2008 started getting some games worth playing in it.

I had a PS3 a year after launch and it was a totaltTrainwreck. Worthless console compared to the 360. But before the end of the generation I preferred it as Microsoft took the foot off the pedal and sony just got stronger and stronger with good Japanese support.

The Xbox one on the other hand launched so badly but just didn't have the same dedicated loyal fanbase to give the system the market share like the PS3. It started bad and just never recovered. It doesn't really help that it's exclusives don't really tempt ps and PC owners to buy one they was the PS3 did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

Well despite the PS3 being a complete turd at launch it had built up a massive following of fanboys over 2 generation who bought it and defended it. PlayStation was also synonymous with games then as well whereas the original Xbox had a tiny market share. It meant that the PlayStation 3 did reasonably well and didn't totally tank and by 2008 started getting some games worth playing in it.

I had a PS3 a year after launch and it was a totaltTrainwreck. Worthless console compared to the 360. But before the end of the generation I preferred it as Microsoft took the foot off the pedal and sony just got stronger and stronger with good Japanese support.

The Xbox one on the other hand launched so badly but just didn't have the same dedicated loyal fanbase to give the system the market share like the PS3. It started bad and just never recovered. It doesn't really help that it's exclusives don't really tempt ps and PC owners to buy one they was the PS3 did.

So Sony has fanboys yet Microsoft has a fanbase, cool. I believe there is a section in the charter about format wars, as a mod I thought you should be familar with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

I often forget just how bad the first 3 years of the playstation 3 was . Got mine in 2007 when they dropped the price of the console to 400 euros . The majority of the 3rd party games ran worse on ps3 compared to 360 , and Installing each game before you could actually play it always annoyed me . it was not until 2008-2009 the system sellers started to come out .

Xbox had a strong few years but then took a weird turn trying to get people buying the kinetic camera .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,105 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Xbox had a strong few years

I think the 360 was a great console with a huge range of games and played a vital role in growing the indie scene. But easy to forget just what an absolute cluster**** the red ring of death saga was at the same time :pac: Both the PS3 and 360 had far less than ideal beginnings.

dudeeile wrote: »
    So Sony has fanboys yet Microsoft has a fanbase, cool. I believe there is a section in the charter about format wars, as a mod I thought you should be familar with it.

Oh shut up. You aren't being personally attacked. You aren't that important to me.

And yes a lot of it was fanboys. There was even a great site called the Sony defense force that did stuff like give Xbox exclusives low scores then giving them perfect scores when they came to PlayStation that mocked their behaviour.

And xbox has their xbots they've just been quiet because it's hard to defend how bad the one has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,105 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

"PS3 level disaster."

"It built up a massive following and did reasonably well."

Which is it?

I was talking about the PS3 launch which was inarguably a complete and utter fiasco and well documented at the time.

I also said the PS3 redeemed itself and became a great console.

But that's really obvious from what I said if you let your preconceptions go.

Just based on what retrogamer is saying, it's more that the launch and first year or two were severely lacking in content?

My 360 elite is still on the go here, I rarely use it but the kids do often. I now have a decent PC and any gaming I'm bothered with will be on there, but have to say the 360 never let me down. Threatened to buy an xbox one or Ps4 a few times but in the end figured better off to just upgrade the pc and throw a half decent gpu at it - I still think consoles are great, they're perfect for social gaming with family or friends but if you are only playing solo then I think a decent PC is the best option. Always the option to upgrade as you go

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

The thing I liked most about the PS3 is that they would have loads of PS2 trilogies and remakes that I never got round to playing on PS2. Jak and Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper, God of War(never played 2 until it was on PS3), MGS HD Collection, Ico/SOTC, Prince of Persia and Splinter Cell.
    You also had stuff like Demon Souls, Uncharted 2/3, Gof of War 3, Resistance 3(which is criminally underrated) and Last of Us too.

I loved the 360 but it was too reliant on Gears, Forza and Halo in its last few years. Stuff like Gears Judgement, Fable 3 and Crackdown 2 were very meh in those years too.

• Advertisement

Just based on what retrogamer is saying, it's more that the launch and first year or two were severely lacking in content?

Lack of exlcusives. Far more expensive than the 360 yet third party games were far worse on it for most of it's life cycle. Terrible messaging from Sony and complete arrogance from them. Yoshida said if the price is too high get a second job. Their e3 presentations were awful and became memes.

Also Sony had its own yellow light of death issues which they never acknowledged unlike Microsoft and their software caused consoles to brick as firmware updates directly flashed the nand. Never acknowledged that as a flaw either.

Was a dark few years for them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement