Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

i assumed they had a licence to the names - considering that FM doesn't have Juventus (Zebre) or the German national side. My assumption was they didn't have those sides for licence reasons, so everyone they did have was sorted.

United's claim isn't against the use of it's name but Sports Interactive not using the proper club crest.

2692a249b54fc166d1a191e4935c4180
    2692a249b54fc166d1a191e4935c41802692a249b54fc166d1a191e4935c4180.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Video about the recent xbox leaks

Also I missed this but there was an article about Valve's communist-approved client in the works. Which of course has time restrictions and will probably connect to their social credit system. Though if your credit score is too low to play video games you've likely got bigger problems anyway.

• Administrators Posts: 53,384 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

United's claim isn't against the use of it's name but Sports Interactive not using the proper club crest.

2692a249b54fc166d1a191e4935c4180
    2692a249b54fc166d1a191e4935c41802692a249b54fc166d1a191e4935c4180.png

It's against the use of the club name without them getting money from SI to use the crest with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Just in relation to steam entering china, Sony still have PSN down in china or at least for Chinese version of the console.

Don't really see the benefit for Valve, big as china is it's so restricted and piracy is so rampant. A few multiplayer games hosted domestically and they keep pirating everything else.

At least for the console manufacturers they get the ability to advertises openly, doesn't matter to them if Chinese consumers buy imports rather than the locked down domestic versions they're getting paid in the end.

Funny thing is that Chinese steam client has a warning that piracy is bad. :pac:
    Who is going to see that? Not pirates. Who is going to care about that? Not the Chinese.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

https://kotaku.com/skyrim-grandma-is-taking-a-break-because-of-internet-as-1843663799

the famous "Skyrim Grandma" winding back her video schedule; always interesting to see behind the YouTube curtain, such as here where subscribers doesn't translate into actual views. Maintaining any kind of channel seems like such a stressful chore; she also referenced stress over negative comments. Whatever about the "git gud" hassle from some, who the f*ck is so deficient of basic humanity they send abuse to a harmless Granny sharing her Skyrim roleplaying? F*cking hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

pixelburp wrote: »
    https://kotaku.com/skyrim-grandma-is-taking-a-break-because-of-internet-as-1843663799

the famous "Skyrim Grandma" winding back her video schedule; always interesting to see behind the YouTube curtain, such as here where subscribers doesn't translate into actual views. Maintaining any kind of channel seems like such a stressful chore; she also referenced stress over negative comments. Whatever about the "git gud" hassle from some, who the f*ck is so deficient of basic humanity they send abuse to a harmless Granny sharing her Skyrim roleplaying? F*cking hell.

I've never actually heard or seen of her before, but I feel really bad for after reading/watching that. This is the major problem with gaming today ... the gamers! I see the comments on many other channels, chock full of over priviledged wannabe elitist little tw*ts - doubtful that many of them pay for their games let alone the fancy gaming rigs and poointless gaming chairs they have in their bedrooms - probably mashing their aggressive comments into mech keyboards to boot, all paid for by stressed parents who caved because they were tired of being screamed at.

This is the major problem with gaming today ... the gamers!
    Ah yes the gamers. Aka absolutely any negative comment left on any video game related content ever. Trolls don't exist, only gamers.

And surely that's the major problem with gaming. Not the predatory billionaire corporations ruining games with low-quality, money-extracting DLC and MTs. Not studio and IP-destroying juggernauts like EA. Not the anti-consumer DRM, soul-owning TOS/EULAs or online-bound single player experiences. Not the plethora of different launchers that do not help the end users. Not the dangerous trend of corporations bending the knee to Chinese publishing standards. Out of everything wrong with gaming yes, let's focus the spotlight on the customers because bad things were said online. F*ck that noise.

As for Youtube/Google... they do not have time to help people like Skyrim gran. They have important things to worry about like appeasing communists through censorship or helping Sony/ND with their invalid DMCA takedowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Ah yes the gamers. Aka absolutely any negative comment left on any video game related content ever. Trolls don't exist, only gamers.

And surely that's the major problem with gaming. Not the predatory billionaire corporations ruining games with low-quality, money-extracting DLC and MTs. Not studio and IP-destroying juggernauts like EA. Not the anti-consumer DRM, soul-owning TOS/EULAs or online-bound single player experiences. Not the plethora of different launchers that do not help the end users. Not the dangerous trend of corporations bending the knee to Chinese publishing standards. Out of everything wrong with gaming yes, let's focus the spotlight on the customers because bad things were said online. F*ck that noise.

As for Youtube/Google... they do not have time to help people like Skyrim gran. They have important things to worry about like appeasing communists through censorship or helping Sony/ND with their invalid DMCA takedowns.

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury, I present Exhibit A.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

And right on cue, the completely unasked-for excess of the Gamer Defence Brigade, Sgt Ninja, descends into the thread to bark that "not all gamers". Complete with links too.

No Robert, not all gamers. We know this. But when a mass of them shít on a granny just trying to roleplay some Skyrim? At our worst, we are the worst.

The last doth protest too much sometimes. Bloody sealions.

• Advertisement

And right on cue the boards woke cabal descend into the thread to bark "gamers are the worst" and circle jerk their "thanks" to oppose the Robert devil.
    But when a mass of them shít on a granny just trying to roleplay some Skyrim?
    And not a single thing done about it by all the corporations that are non stop defended around here, free of charge. Maybe they should hire Twitch's Trust and Safety Council, the most effective team at reducing aggression online.

In news
    While I was browsing PCG I totally forgot that they actually have a news area and I found out that Quantic Dream games are coming to steam:
    https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/topic/4704-no-denuvo-drm-in-heavy-rain-beyond-two-souls-and-detroit-become-human-steam-demos/
    And potentially with no 3rd party DRM malware. Although I'd feel dirty giving them any more money, Heavy Rain's meme potential is possibly too high to pass up streaming.

And right on cue the boards woke cabal descend into the thread to bark "gamers are the worst" and circle jerk their "thanks" to oppose the Robert devil.

And not a single thing done about it by all the corporations that are non stop defended around here, free of charge. Maybe they should hire Twitch's Trust and Safety Council, the most effective team at reducing aggression online.

Woke? Devil? You're not that much a pariah, get off your cross. Nobody's defending corporations, sometimes a story about harassing a granny is just a story about harassing a granny - and yeah, a hardened core of online gamers are àssholes who harass grannies. That's the nub of the story. You made the segue like it had anything to do with the article, like personality responsibility not to be a shít that harasses grannies is REALLY Google's fault. Or the "woke cabal". lol. Is defending the Skyrim Grandma woke now?

It really should go without having to say 'not all gamers' - but you know what, in my experience, and I've been a gamer for over 30 years, these days it is a 'lot' of them. I've seen comment sections with 90% trolling cack for no reason only one starts, the sheep follow.

Looking at her channel she gets very little dislikes actually, and a lot of likes, so I can only go by the channels where I've seen the opposite.

It's trolls. They've been around forever. But of course that for Kotaku it's just another opportunity to blame "muh gamers". It's like that character Crocker from Fairly Odd Parents. Every time they so much as a smell a fart it's the gamers.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,240 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It's trolls. They've been around forever. But of course that for Kotaku it's just another opportunity to blame "muh gamers".

"Gamers" and "Trolls" are not mutually exclusive terms. And let's face it, no trolls who aren't gamers are going to be searching "Skyrim granny" on YouTube.

It's trolls. They've been around forever. But of course that for Kotaku it's just another opportunity to blame "muh gamers". It's like that character Crocker from Fairly Odd Parents. Every time they so much as a smell a fart it's the gamers.

Well, no. You obviously didn't even read the original article, or watch the video in your race to sealion over a glib generalisation. The source is a YouTube video from Skyrim Grandma herself, talking about her stress caused by gamers whose pestering over "git gud" strategies forced her to take stock of her pasttime. Mixed with actual abusive ássholes (why would trolls who weren't gamers seek out "Skyrim Grandma"??) That's all it was.

So it's absolutely an issue of gamers forcing her hand. Sorry, troll-gamers. Gamer-trolls? It's pretty clear cut but if you want to attack the messenger, move goalposts to rants about Google, and waffle about "woke cabal" because (presumably) I shared a kotaku article then I'll call out the sealioning. Should have just shared her video, not the article. Knew you'd get uppity.

And as is always with these segues, I can hear the groans from those on the edges mumbling "Stay on target" over another deviation away from Gaming News. But, to the jury I plead - he started it ☝️

But, to the jury I plead - he started it ☝️
    Who? Thecageyone? Cause that's who I was replying to originally, with gamer blame post and suggesting that they're a big problem with the modern industry. For someone to look at the absolute state of modern gaming market and think customers are the problem because trolls exist is just worrying.
    pestering over "git gud"
    Trolling 101, use whatever works. But whatever, I'm not here to argue about Gran. Hopefully she gets through it. I have actually seen an uptake in harassment and threats made to youtubers, though. I wonder what's going on over there.
    Penn wrote: »
    "Gamers" and "Trolls" are not mutually exclusive terms. And let's face it, no trolls who aren't gamers are going to be searching "Skyrim granny" on YouTube.
    Right but trolls exist everywhere and in no other context are a large group of customers blamed for the trolls' actions. Nobody's saying gamers can't be trolls, it's just curious how the opportunity to spread gamer hate and parrot game-journo malarkey is never wasted by some.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Skyrim Grandma wades into the discussion, hilariously taking down VG247

https://twitter.com/ShirleyScurry/status/1265291473815244806

gamer blame post and suggesting that they're a big problem with the modern industry. For someone to look at the absolute state of modern gaming market and think customers are the problem because trolls exist is just worrying.

I have actually seen an uptake in harassment and threats made to youtubers, though. I wonder what's going on over there.

I don't see one single solid point in any of your posts to prove me wrong, I never mentioned anything about the industry for one, I was clearly talking about the community. Also speak for yourself, if anyone else had issue with what I posted I'm sure they're capable of quoting me themselves. What I said is point blank MY experience, I don't need you to agree nor do I care either way. But do feel free to disagree and move along, and stop tagging me in your posts. You almost backed up what I said and contradicted yourself in your post there btw, it has gotten worse, the idiot trolling and those trolls are indeed gamers - nothing you have said proves me wrong, more backs it up.

Just visit any popular Twitch stream, tell me they're all just trolls and not gamers ... 10k+ morons copy pasting p*nises

• Registered Users Posts: 29,488 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

CatInABox wrote: »

https://twitter.com/ShirleyScurry/status/1265291473815244806

First time hearing of her but she sounds awesome!

• Advertisement

The numbers she talked of were crazy: half a million subs but it reads like only a tiny percentage even watch the videos - and only fraction of those in their entirety. It's a tough gig, made harder by YT's shift away from smaller content creators. For all the landfill outrage peddlers or Bad Faith merchants, it seems like there's an incredibly high bar to even make mediocre money, or exposure. Fair play to her for doing what she does.

The numbers she talked of were crazy: half a million subs but it reads like only a tiny percentage even watch the videos - and only fraction of those in their entirety. It's a tough gig, made harder by YT's shift away from smaller content creators. For all the landfill outrage peddlers or Bad Faith merchants, it seems like there's an incredibly high bar to even make mediocre money, or exposure. Fair play to her for doing what she does.
    It's brutal. Google has made it increasing difficult to make money on their platform for anyone who isn't massive or appeals to them like the degenerate Paul family. They destroyed those amazing flash animations in one update by having a 10-minute minimum requirement for videos to get monetised. It usually took months to make a few minutes of those animations. So to make them longer took longer and then the money wasn't worth it. A whole genre of content just gone because of Google's whims.

They've abandoned the smaller users and switched to TV-mode where they're obsessed with late-night TV show hosts and corporate crap.

It similar to an artists life now. Constant work and it'll most likely never be lucrative unless you make it big. You really have to just love the journey, because the destination on youtube is often demonitisation eventually. Just look at Youtube now compared to a few years ago. Skyrim Gran (although I think I found her when she was doing RE4) here was already a rare species but if Google continues to take Youtube where they seemingly want to take it then she'll be a unicorn.
    if anyone else had issue with what I posted I'm sure they're capable of quoting me themselves
    I had an issue with what you said and I quoted you. That would've been the end if it had Pixel not replied.
    You almost backed up what I said in your post there btw, it has gotten worse, the idiot trolling - nothing you have said proves me wrong
    You think I'm trolling because I disagree with you. You think gamers are a 'big' problem for gaming. I do not. End of. Take your own advice and move on.
    Just visit any popular Twitch stream, tell me they're all just trolls and not gamers ... 10k+ morons copy pasting p*nises
    A lot of the people on Twitch with long hours of high-engagement are kids and/or aren't even bothered to play video games themselves. That's not even getting into the simps and titty streamers. It's a notorious place similar to image boards or youtube comments. The other half are just memes that you're probably out of touch with, which is fine. But despite all of this, yep, gamers bad. Always the gamers. Youtube abuse? Gamers. Twitch penises? Gamers. Posts on forums that disagree with me blaming gamers? You guessed it: Gamers.

Maybe learn the difference between quoting and actually tagging someone in your comments. And yes, I think you're trying on the troll, because you were talking nonsense and twisting other people's [my] words.

Maybe learn the difference between quoting and actually tagging someone in your comments. And yes, I think you're trying on the troll, because you were talking nonsense and twisting other people's [my] words.
    Look lad, that's just what my browser or system did when I copied and pasted your highlighted name. Hyperlink copy/paste assistance? Bad gamers. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

CatInABox wrote: »
    From watching the video and then reading the article, it looks like the only thing they really need to change is the title, cutting it down to "YouTuber Skyrim Grandma announces she is scaling back streams for the sake of her health". The rest of the piece is so devoid of original content I'm not quite sure what else is there that someone could take issue with. Reading her follow up responses, that seems to be the crux of her complaint too.

The overtly exaggerated responses in many of the replies to the article in light of her tweet do at least demonstrate an amusing lack of self-awareness though. Good job, internet.

Lad :D

We'll have to just respect one another's ranages ... maybe we're both trolls :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

gizmo wrote: »
    From watching the video and then reading the article, it looks like the only thing they really need to change is the title, cutting it down to "YouTuber Skyrim Grandma announces she is scaling back streams for the sake of her health". The rest of the piece is so devoid of original content I'm not quite sure what else is there that someone could take issue with. Reading her follow up responses, that seems to be the crux of her complaint too.

The overtly exaggerated responses in many of the replies to the article in light of her tweet do at least demonstrate an amusing lack of self-awareness though. Good job, internet.

But that is Games journalism these days. Wake up look at Twitter, quote tweet, add outrage headline post to Kotaku.

Next journo wakes up sees Kotaku article on Twitter, accepts that's true, writes article quoting Kotaku and posts with outrage headline.

The cycle continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

But that is Games journalism these days. Wake up look at Twitter, quote tweet, add outrage headline post to Kotaku.

Next journo wakes up sees Kotaku article on Twitter, accepts that's true, writes article quoting Kotaku and posts with outrage headline.

The cycle continues.
    Except it's not though.

It's an example of an editor adding a headline which is wholly unsuited to the content of the article it sits above. I'd call it straight click-bait were it not for the fact it's sitting on the front page of the site, surrounded in articles without similar kinds of titles. It's simply lazy journalism complete with a bad headline and the games press is most certainly not the only one to suffer from that problem.

What that doesn't excuse is a large number of people in turn jumping on Twitter displaying the exact same kind of behaviour they're accusing the site of. It's equal measures fascinating and utterly bizarre behaviour.

Sony DMCA'd themselves, exposing how outrageously aggressive their blanket censorship campaign has been.

eBHE2by.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Industria is a new first person adventure/shooter announced for 2021 on PC. It caught my eye because Portal, Half-life, and David Lynch are named as influences! Might be one to watch for the atmosphere and setting (alternate Berlin, 1989) if nothing else.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement