Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Cordell

It needs to reflect what consumers consider important information to relay to each before purchasing. End of.

And this is exactly what they do, review bombing is not important information and it's in the consumer best interest to be filtered out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Cordell wrote: »
    And this is exactly what they do, review bombing is not important information and it's in the consumer best interest to be filtered out.
    False. You do not get to decide for other customers what is/isn't important information. You can only give your feedback and hope it helps someone make an informed purchase. It's up to the consumer to decide what is and isn't important information.

You want daddy Valve to tell what you should and shouldn't consider - other customers may not want that. Steam already allows you to filter reviews to the point you can see only positive ones if you want :pac:. Add more filter options: problem solved. Maybe a 'Valve Approved' checkbox since you value their opinion so much? However what you're actually defending is a global filter that the customer does not have a say in, that cannot be turned off and may not serve the customer's interests - all to keep the status quo of games' positive ratings which is only in the interest of those who make money off it.

I don't care, I don't go by Steam reviews anyway :)

But, you are wrong, it's one thing to allow negative feedback, whole other thing is to allow misinformation and plain lies.
    For example, that Denuvo anti cheat thingy, the post there is misleading and full of false claims:
    They call it malware, it's not.
    They imply it's one of the very few running in ring 0, that is false, most modern OSes including Windows only use ring 0 and 3. So all drivers, all monitoring, overclocking and fan control software like MSI Afterburner, RGB lights, all these run with the same privileges, but somehow only this is a problem.
    So imho this is the kind of reviews they would be right to nuke out of their site. It starts with a blatant lie right in the title, it's full of false and misleading claims and it serves nobody.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

But, you are wrong, it's one thing to allow negative feedback, whole other thing is to allow misinformation and plain lies.
    Then you can vote down those reviews or leave comments on them calling out the lies. The solution to lies isn't censorship.
    They call it malware, it's not.
    Many aspects of DRM and anti-cheat have characteristics of malware. They can call it whatever they want, though.
    all these run with the same privileges, but somehow only this is a problem.
    Not 'somehow', it's a video game that got an update post-purchase, not a driver or important part of the system. You cannot refuse the update. You have no say in it and it wasn't stated in the EULA upon original purchase. It's also causing some systems to no longer even be able to play it
    So imho this is the kind of reviews they would be right to nuke
    But imho it's the kind of reviews that have every right to be visible to all customers and affect the rating. So who is right? I say let the customer decide. You say no, let the multi million dollar companies decide.
    I don't care, I don't go by Steam reviews anyway
    Since you admit you're not a customer of said product your opinion can safely be ignored by Valve and anyone else who actually uses it. Interesting to see the phenomena of people who don't buy/use a product trying to feck it up for those that do still continuing.

I am a Steam customer, I just don't base my purchases on Steam reviews.
    Any software share some characteristics with malware, they're all software for starters. What makes malware malware is the malicious intent, there is no such thing here. If anything, it has similarities with antimalware, and not with malware. But that won't sound so scary, right?

And finally I don't have a real problem with this type of review (except that it's full of lies), I just think they are entitled to remove it from their store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Only review bombed game I've ever taken a close look at was Company of heroes 2, Russians didn't like how the campaign portrayed the WW2 era soviet army. While some of them noted this, most of the reviews were just "**** game" or listing high end hardware and saying the game ran ****e. No real insight to be gained.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

As I mentoned in the Valorant thread I am intrigued by this type of Anti Cheat that runs at start up.

No intention of installing......yet but i am intrigued to see how it plays out.

I would imagine their will be a Steam, Epic, Msft version and maybe even an ultimate version from someone.

It negates 90% of current standard cheats (loaded into memory) and thats fantastic.

I still get head shotted from some chinese lad on another server in certain games.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If you read the digital foundry article a lot of the geometry and texture detail is all procedural and therefore will have a very low memory bandwidth despite the high detail.

I have read it and watched the video. It's not procedural.

They said themselves it's the highest poly models and 8k textures that the artists use for their initial design which often doesn't make it into the game at all.

The terrain details might be semi procedural but they are using 8k textures to add that extra geometry. Most likely multiple 8k textures for a single material.

BloodBath wrote: »
    I have read it and watched the video. It's not procedural.

They said themselves it's the highest poly models and 8k textures that the artists use for their initial design which often doesn't make it into the game at all.

The terrain details might be semi procedural but they are using 8k textures to add that extra geometry. Most likely multiple 8k textures for a single material.

Adding geometry or the appearance of it via textures is what they're not doing.

Without bump mapping, textures don't have to be tied to geometry. You can use fewer unique textures without it looking repeated wallpapery.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,340 ✭✭✭✭Penn

A Kerry teenager has been questioned by gardai for tweeting a lot of racial abuse to Ian Wright, former Arsenal & England footballer.

So why am I posting about it here?

He told gardai he sent the racial abuse to Wright because he was angry he got Ian Wright in a card pack in Fifa 20 instead of Ronaldo

https://twitter.com/Philip_Ryan/status/1262083191118204928?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

His first excuse was "I was hacked" wasn't it?

Hope they make an example of that scrote.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,143 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

https://twitter.com/IanWright0/status/1259833040626429954

"Your like 65 years old if I get corona I will cough in your face and give you your death sentence"

Seems like a reasonable response alright. I remember saying similar to Cantona back in the 90s when I collected those Merlin Premier League stickers.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Absolute top class from Ian. Serious example needs to be made of this cuunt.

https://twitter.com/IanWright0/status/1259894395555516418?s=19

https://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends/comments/gl11xu/pc_gamer_plagiarized_one_of_gbays_older_league/

Old PC gamer article apparently plagiarised a YouTuber, writer mostly does Esport coverage so if they've done it before it's unlikely it'll be found out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,340 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Seems like a reasonable response alright. I remember saying similar to Cantona back in the 90s when I collected those Merlin Premier League stickers.

Knew I recognised you!

stream_img.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,195 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Dublin-based studio Dreamfeel’s If Found... is out tomorrow, which could well have the distinction of being the first video game set on Achill Island :)

Looking like a particularly stylish visual novel, and Annapurna’s publishing choices have rarely led me wrong to date.

https://twitter.com/a_i/status/1262443830629916674?s=21

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,925 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Activision up to their old tricks.

Tony Hawks 1 and 2 won't have micro transactions... at launch.

So expect the remakes to be flooded with pay to win bull**** once reviews are out of the way and the metacritic average can't be changed.

They pulled the same crap with CTR remake.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Dublin-based studio Dreamfeel’s If Found... is out tomorrow, which could well have the distinction of being the first video game set on Achill Island :)

Looking like a particularly stylish visual novel, and Annapurna’s publishing choices have rarely led me wrong to date.

https://twitter.com/a_i/status/1262443830629916674?s=21

So functionally, an interactive Melancholia, with Aran sweaters? :D

No interest in visual novels myself, but will pick the game up to help a local dev out. Few enough of those that don't have the name "Romero" attached to them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Penn wrote: »
    A Kerry teenager has been questioned by gardai for tweeting a lot of racial abuse to Ian Wright, former Arsenal & England footballer.

So why am I posting about it here?

He told gardai he sent the racial abuse to Wright because he was angry he got Ian Wright in a card pack in Fifa 20 instead of Ronaldo

https://twitter.com/Philip_Ryan/status/1262083191118204928?s=20

This is absolutely disgusting. Over a Fifa pack , how pathetic. Glad your man has gotten in trouble over it what a dope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

This is absolutely disgusting. Over a Fifa pack , how pathetic. Glad your man has gotten in trouble over it what a dope.

In me bollix it was over a Fifa pack... like J. Marston said his first excuse was that he was hacked. He's just a little racist prick looking for any excuse after being caught out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Rob2D wrote: »

:D

GG to CDPR for a lot of hard work. They don't always get it right, but they do most of the time I think it's fair to say.

Refreshing news, so after all there's still a lot of money to be made from single player games with no microtransactions and loot boxes.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

GOG probably contributed a lot to this too. I'm sure they're worth a few pound for that alone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,925 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

More likely it's just a stock price increase due to Cyberpunk. It will settle down after release.

GOG doesn't seem to be doing very well financially, or so it seems: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GOG.com#Layoffs_and_end_of_the_Fair_Price_Package

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Props to CDPR; they've got there through hard graft and powering ahead with their vision. I don't agree with some of their sentiments re. work practices, but at least they're honest.

It's also an impressive feat when considering the relatively small backlog of games they have published.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    More likely it's just a stock price increase due to Cyberpunk. It will settle down after release.

I think a lot is down to the success of The Witcher on Netflix as well and getting more people back playing that game

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

That valuation is mental. Their share price is 15 times higher than it was 4 years ago and that was a year after The Witcher 3 was released and it had already sold 10m copies at that stage. They've had one big game and potentially have another one out later this year but that's it.

• Advertisement

One big game could be a fluke, but their next game looking to be as big or bigger means it'll be a trend then.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement