Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Varik wrote: »
    One big game could be a fluke, but their next game looking to be as big or bigger means it'll be a trend then.

If it does well: the hype and expectations on it will be unlike anything CDPR has worked with before. The Witcher series has been a success, but arguably only hit "mainstream mania" levels with #3. IMO for many, Cyberpunk would only CDPR's "second game".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,819 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That valuation is mental. Their share price is 15 times higher than it was 4 years ago and that was a year after The Witcher 3 was released and it had already sold 10m copies at that stage. They've had one big game and potentially have another one out later this year but that's it.

The Stock market is all made up anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

EA making the source code for C&C and RA freely available

from steam
    Today we are proud to announce that alongside the launch of the Remastered Collection, Electronic Arts will be releasing the TiberianDawn.dll and RedAlert.dll and their corresponding source code under the GPL version 3.0 license. This is a key moment for Electronic Arts, the C&C community, and the gaming industry, as we believe this will be one of the first major RTS franchises to open source their source code under the GPL. It’s worth noting this initiative is the direct result of a collaboration between some of the community council members and our teams at EA. After discussing with the council members, we made the decision to go with the GPL license to ensure compatibility with projects like CnCNet and Open RA. Our goal was to deliver the source code in a way that would be truly beneficial for the community, and we hope this will enable amazing community projects for years to come.

And the official blurb
    https://www.ea.com/games/command-and-conquer/command-and-conquer-remastered/modding-faq?isLocalized=true

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

EA making the source code for C&C and RA freely available

from steam

And the official blurb
    https://www.ea.com/games/command-and-conquer/command-and-conquer-remastered/modding-faq?isLocalized=true

I'm usually very slow to give EA any praise, but I can't think of a single misstep throughout the C&C remaster project. They've been transparent, communicative, welcoming and fairly broad minded from the outset with their campaign. While the remaster itself looks fully featured and sensible (not to mention containing two games in one). It's most puzzling.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

G2A and Wube Software settle $40,000 chargeback dispute - Factorio developer "satisfied with the results" after marketplace operators conduct internal audit

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-05-20-g2a-and-wube-software-settle-usd40-000-chargeback-dispute
    The two companies have worked together on an internal audit and found that 198 of the 321 codes Wube queried were sold through G2A

Always good to see some evidence of G2A's incredible dodginess :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Ubisoft has spent years and years in a hostile takeover battle with Vivendi, which really hasn't done wonders for it's stock price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

CatInABox wrote: »
    Ubisoft has spent years and years in a hostile takeover battle with Vivendi, which really hasn't done wonders for it's stock price.

Releasing countless unfinished mediocre AAA games hasnt helped either :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

nix wrote: »
    Releasing countless unfinished mediocre AAA games hasnt helped either :D

One could argue that this has also been a result of the need to maintain a positive cash flow to fund the takeover battle, but to be honest, I'm unsure of where that excuse ends and where capitalism begins there.

As it is, I don't really mind Ubisoft and it's business model. There's way worse out there. They've turned around the Assassins Creed series, they've massively supported The Division, to the point that the biggest competitor to the sequel was the original, and they allow their staff to experiment with stuff like Grow Home. They're even still trying to fix Breakpoint, their biggest mistake in years.

I mean, sure, Far Cry is a joke these days, but their output isn't terrible, nor is the way that they treat their games and employees. Contrast that with someone like EA, who killed off Mass Effect because of Andromeda, or ActiBlizzard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I agree completely, they have done well on the effort front lately, but they were taking the piss for like a decade. Here's hoping they keep it up and don't revert to their old ways, which I can see them doing.. Heck i can see them copying and pasting AC:Odyssey formula for a few runs... sadly

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,819 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah I can't stand the ubi formula but they do games outside if it. They really changed assassin's creed for the better. Also of they really do have great support for their online games. Stuff like siege was a disaster but they turned it around into one of the best and most unique multiplayer shooters out there.

• Advertisement

Tencent have taken over system shock 3 development. The game might as well change its name to vapourware at this stage.

Any sign of the remake of the first game progressing?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

It's not entirely unbelievable as they are very profitable. Plus they have about 700 people in 3 offices in Poland so very low cost. They have basically 1 game that requires very little support.

Ubisoft have 56 offices in 29 countries. 26 studios and they are in very expensive locations like San Francisco, Canada, France, UK etc. They have multiple big games and tons of RnD plus a very expensive live service to support.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Bethesda are backtracking on Denuvo Anti-cheat. It'll be removed from Doom Eternal in the next update.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Tencent have taken over system shock 3 development. The game might as well change its name to vapourware at this stage.

Sounds like they're not just taking over development, but rebooting the entire thing.

As an aside, it's kinda eerie how often the name Tencent pops up when it comes to game companies these days. Ubisoft, Epic, Riot, ActiBlizzard. Sure, they don't have controlling stakes in all of them, but even so, have these guys buy in must let them set the agenda to a certain extent.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It's not entirely unbelievable as they are very profitable. Plus they have about 700 people in 3 offices in Poland so very low cost. They have basically 1 game that requires very little support.

Ubisoft have 56 offices in 29 countries. 26 studios and they are in very expensive locations like San Francisco, Canada, France, UK etc. They have multiple big games and tons of RnD plus a very expensive live service to support.

That's like arguing that Zoom should be valued the same as Microsoft as they only have one application and a smaller development team whereas Microsoft have loads of applications and developers.

Ubisoft have more offices and employees because they need them to create and support all the games they make. Ubisoft had a stinker of a year yet they still have 10 times the revenue of CD Projekt Red.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

That's like arguing that Zoom should be valued the same as Microsoft as they only have one application and a smaller development team whereas Microsoft have loads of applications and developers.

Ubisoft have more offices and employees because they need them to create and support all the games they make. Ubisoft had a stinker of a year yet they still have 10 times the revenue of CD Projekt Red.

No it's not. Revenue is not profit. Microsoft are much more profitable in that scenario. Pick a company that lost money and a company that made 50% profit.

Not all about profit. Cashflow is way more important.

Why? Economics I guess? I haven't the foggiest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Fig Rolls are more important because of the filling or something

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I imagine Gwent on ios/android with in app purchases is doing very well for CD Projekt Red

• Advertisement

The next documentary from Noclip (Danny O'Dwyer's crowdfunded media outfit) drops next week; The (Untold) History of Arkane Studios.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

ERG89 wrote: »
    I imagine Gwent on ios/android with in app purchases is doing very well for CD Projekt Red

Been playing Gwent since CB, I can't imagine playing it on mobile! But then, I will always prefer a laptop/PC over any hand held device, bit of a boomer in that sense :D [though I do own a half decent capable phone - I never actually use it for games]

Can't be right surely but that limited edition Cyberpunk Xbox one X is showing as 2 grand :D

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/xbox-one-x-cyberpunk-2077-limited-edition-bundle/9mv6d0mrx0q2

They are the best studio today. Can't wait for Deathloop and recently downloaded Dishonoured 1.

I'm actually hoping there might be a snippet or too about Deathloop in the doc (although mainly I want to see what might have been with Return to Ravenholm).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Man Utd being Man Utd

Mr Malynicz argued Sega and SI "encouraged" the use of patches supplied by third parties "by promoting the patch providers in various ways and, of course, they directly benefited from it by avoiding the need to take any licence and enjoying increased sales of their game".

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1263883314018029571

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

They need the money these days

• Registered Users Posts: 15,260 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Ed Woodward at his finest

• Registered Users Posts: 45,055 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i assumed they had a licence to the names - considering that FM doesn't have Juventus (Zebre) or the German national side. My assumption was they didn't have those sides for licence reasons, so everyone they did have was sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Can't be right surely but that limited edition Cyberpunk Xbox one X is showing as 2 grand :D

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/xbox-one-x-cyberpunk-2077-limited-edition-bundle/9mv6d0mrx0q2

Comes with the game and the first DLC, so I'll be generous and say $100 worth of games. So the Cyberpunk Series X is $1900. Wow. Comes with future drugs maybe?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement