Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,757 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Git gud
    I hate that saying.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mafia 1 was a great story, and its individual stages (race track notwithstanding) had some fantastic set-pieces: but the gameplay between chapters was a weird one: it was technically an open-world city, but had almost zero distractions or content behind that otherwise lavishly realised city. P*ssing about had limited appeal, with an emphasis on realism meaning there wasn't really the scope for anarchy - and no side quests at all to justify the miles of urban road either. Like I said, the story and missions were great, it just had no reason to be set within an "open world" environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,872 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

And Unreal Engine 5 announced
    https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/13/21256079/epic-unreal-engine-5-playstation-5-demo-next-gen-graphics-release-date

Not that I pay much attention but doesn't seem that long since they stopped using UE3
    Then again the time between launch and games using it get released will mean a lot more time for UE4 games

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭Varik

pixelburp wrote: »
    Mafia 1 was a great story, and its individual stages (race track notwithstanding) had some fantastic set-pieces: but the gameplay between chapters was a weird one: it was technically an open-world city, but had almost zero distractions or content behind that otherwise lavishly realised city. P*ssing about had limited appeal, with an emphasis on realism meaning there wasn't really the scope for anarchy - and no side quests at all to justify the miles of urban road either. Like I said, the story and missions were great, it just had no reason to be set within an "open world" environment.

Would have just left it with a bunch of shooting closed off areas and corridor driving sections.

You don't need to fill an open world with random missions or collectables.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    And Unreal Engine 5 announced
    https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/13/21256079/epic-unreal-engine-5-playstation-5-demo-next-gen-graphics-release-date

Not that I pay much attention but doesn't seem that long since they stopped using UE3
    Then again the time between launch and games using it get released will mean a lot more time for UE4 games

Last 2 UE3 games were Mortal Kombat 11 and Realm Royale in 2019. With the first in 2006

First UE4 game was 2014.

Studio sticking with what they know and have a known workflow, as well as for reusing assets being you'd assume even between UE version being easier staying in the same version.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Varik wrote: »
    Would have just left it with a bunch of shooting closed off areas and corridor driving sections.

You don't need to fill an open world with random missions or collectables.

You don't, but it seemed strange to go to some lengths to create a photorealistic city (for the time), one that IIRC was a bit of a performance hog, then have nothing within it to justify its presence. I suspect the devs had grand plans for the map but ran out of time or money to add more depth.

Like I said, the story-missions were more than enough fun to make the game memorable, I just remember the disappointment when I realised there was nothing behind the facade.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Varik wrote: »
    Last 2 UE3 games were Mortal Kombat 11 and Realm Royale in 2019. With the first in 2006

First UE4 game was 2014.

Studio sticking with what they know and have a known workflow, as well as for reusing assets being you'd assume even between UE version being easier staying in the same version.

The workflow for newer versions makes life a lot easier though. Granted there's still going to be a learning curve but the time saved with newer workflows more than makes up for it.

I'd imagine most of the early games will be cross platform with last gen so they will still have to use older techniques which is why some of the other demos look mediocre.

I was not expecting a new version so soon but it's damn exciting. Cutting the tedium of baking lightmaps and making lod's is a huge step forward. If it can run at this quality on a PS5, which has the power of a current upper mid range to high end PC, then it won't be long before it's the standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Very excited about THPS

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I must be one of the very few who has never played a skateboarding game. Closest would have been BMX XXX.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I've only played the demo of it, it was well loved back in the day, cant see it holding up myself outside the nostalgia factor, but ive gone off sports games completely since PS2 so what the hell would i know :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,198 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This may seem mad, but I don’t consider Tony Hawks a skateboarding game in the way I consider the likes of Skate skateboarding games. I admire the detail and overall intentions of those more sim-like games, but they’re not really for me. THPS on the other hand is above all else possibly the greatest score attack game in the history of gaming. It has an arcade-like purity to it, the way something like Crazy Taxi does. Obviously real-world skateboarding is the starting point and a core focus, but it 900-spins off into something less realistic and therefore far more appealing to me.

So obviously THPS is a skateboarding game, but it’s also an arcade game - and it’s that very particular hybrid that for me makes it one of my all-time favourites.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,931 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

And don't forget the multiplayer Graffiti mode which is one of the all time best couch competitive games.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,561 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    And don't forget the multiplayer Graffiti mode which is one of the all time best couch competitive games.

That's gonna be so good online, can see some nice competitiveness on Boards setting high scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Johnny, your description makes me want an SSX Tricky remaster now (again)!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I think that SSX3 is the best of all the skateboarding/snowboarding games of that era. It still plays brilliantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,341 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It's insane how after so many people loved SSX Tricky, the devs were like "Y'know what this franchise needs? Blandness, realism and an annoying-as-hell DJ voiceover!"

I loved the crazy level design. I loved the characters and making my own rivalries with them (F*ck you, Luther!). Loved the music. Everything about that game was amazing.

I'd love an SSX Tricky remaster, but I'd worry about what EA would do to it.
    I think that SSX3 is the best of all the skateboarding/snowboarding games of that era. It still plays brilliantly.

I did enjoy SSX3 a lot, but it never matched Tricky for me. It was just missing that extra fun that Tricky had, even if the gameplay possibly edged it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Game of the year 2020 out in just over two months.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,931 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The paper mario games haven't been great since Paper Mario 2 on Gamecube and the good mario and luigi games are from Alpha Dream who just went bankrupt.

Hopefully this bucks the trend as it looks gorgeous.

Also hope it shuts up the idiots saying Nintendo has no games for 2020, considering this is another example of Nintendo announcing a game a few weeks before launch. Expect a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Holy moly, maybe the leaks were real! Looks great, but I guess I shouldnt speak up
    I actually enjoyed Colour Splash

Only a tiny glimpse of the combat, it looks traditional PaperMario but need to see a few more details.
    Also, could that be a new 2D Metroid tease at the end?

EDIT: Oh wait a sec, combat looks to be doing something...."unique" :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

The epic game store has changed the way it gives away its free game by not revealing it until it goes live - which should have been at 4 o'clock. The rumour is that it's GTAV and the site has completely crumpled under the pressure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I struggle to understand GTAV's lasting popularity.

Even doing heists and races with friends, it got old quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

J. Marston wrote: »
    I struggle to understand GTAV's lasting popularity.

Even doing heists and races with friends, it got old quick.
    No Pixel.

The server that gives streamers roles to play (cops, paramedics, doctors gangs, business men, etc).

Only reason it has stayed near the top so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,561 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Almost seems counter productive to have produced a "game", as it just invited people to try and spot the joins. We all know tricks were applied, some wink and nudge so they could claim it was all "just" a PS5 Dev kit. In my day, engine demos were just empty rooms, showing off the new details as floating orbs (look, normal mapping!) :D

The graphics are amazing, I particularly liked the lighting but I know most games on the PS5 won't look anywhere near that fancy. Besides, still wasn't half as gorgeous as that Paper Mario trailer :pac:

Zero-Cool wrote: »

It's like the Spider man puddles conspiracy.

It's a weird thing to be taking issue with considering it was a prerecorded demo and probably not retail hardware, if they were going to cheat a bit they'd not be hiding loading screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

pixelburp wrote: »
    Almost seems counter productive to have produced a "game", as it just invited people to try and spot the joins. We all know tricks were applied, some wink and nudge so they could claim it was all "just" a PS5 Dev kit. In my day, engine demos were just empty rooms, showing off the new details as floating orbs (look, normal mapping!) :D

The graphics are amazing, I particularly liked the lighting but I know most games on the PS5 won't look anywhere near that fancy. Besides, still wasn't half as gorgeous as that Paper Mario trailer :pac:

I think the main trick is not mentioning the disk size required for the demo. It's all well and good having crazy high poly models and 8k textures but that's gonna eat some serious storage space.

I'd say the room with multiple high poly statues helps reduce the size as they are all the same statue so only 1 asset.

There's also not much material variation, no plants or anything like that helping reduce the size a bit more.

Despite all that the demo is probably 50+GB in size.

Loading screens aren't going to be a problem anymore with the cpu's and ssd's in these new consoles.

The final flying scene is meant to show that off by the speed you can travel through the world in real time without frame hitches or blurry streaming textures.

I think we're going to see some interesting super hero games on this hardware.

If you read the digital foundry article a lot of the geometry and texture detail is all procedural and therefore will have a very low memory bandwidth despite the high detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Doom Eternal gets Denuvo malware update. Requires kernel-level access even when offline, has borked linux compatibility which originally had a gold rating and ran perfectly.

Reviews trended down for it on steam after the update.

VfpHMbq.png

In case anyone forgot, Valve introduced a manual and AI-assisted review moderation which "corrects" sudden changes in review trends. They consider it review bombing or discounted from affecting the ratings if it's about a topic they have decided is not worthy of consideration like DRM and EULAs. They don't mind when it's bombed positively though like with Assassin's Creed Unity.

Archive of forum post in case bethesda nukes it: https://archive.fo/HJ56Y

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Cordell

Positive review bombing is not really a thing, it happen once or twice.
    they have decided is not worthy of consideration like DRM and EULAs
    It's their platform, and also they're right. The score on Steam need to reflect the game, not how people feel about things they don't really understand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Cordell wrote: »
    Positive review bombing is not really a thing, it happen once or twice.
    Manipulation of review systems has historically and overwhelmingly been to inflate positive reviews, usually by and for the interests of those who will gain more money from it. Even juggernauts like Amazon, who can write blank cheques to find solutions to any problems they may have, continue to struggle to solve excessive fake positive reviews.
    It's their platform, and also they're right.
    And our right to voice criticism of it.

Anyway that's a bad excuse that can be used to justify and excuse practically any behavior what so ever by any corporation, no matter how at-odds it is with the consumer.
    The score on Steam need to reflect the game, not how people feel about things they don't really understand.
    It needs to reflect what consumers consider important information to relay to each before purchasing. End of.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement