Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,260 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Interesting to see what colour combinations they come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Horrible looking D-pad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 133 ✭✭ijohhj

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    PS5 new controller revealed: the Dualsense.

kzmc3qhjp69xu9csx64i.png

lmao, what is Sony doing. Shadowdropping a hideous looking controller. Looks like an upmarket third party controller at best.

Their marketing for this console has been very, very weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

From this angle, it looks nice:

sWGU3hv.jpg?1

Yeah it's nice from that angle, maybe they should have just gone pure white without the duo-tone plastic panelling and faffing around.

Also hilarious that there are no back buttons. I figured that new DS4 accessory was also hinting at the touch pad on this new controller being an oled screen but nope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Not mad on the colour scheme but im sure i'll get over that after around 20 seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Yup, I'm over it now

• Registered Users Posts: 33,240 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I don't mind the look. The touchpad and lightbar look great, as does the PS button. Ultimately though it's all about two things for me; how it feels and how long the battery lasts. I know a lot prefer the analog stick and D-pad switched as per the Xbox, but I'm still happy with the PS style. Shape seems like a balance between the Dualshock4 and Xbox controller so I can't imagine there'll be much issue.

Battery is key. Battery on DS4 doesn't last nearly long enough. It's fine and I always have one charging and one playing, never an issue, but it does need to be longer. 20hr+ if possible. And while the controllers will be two-tone at the start, no doubt there'll be plenty of other colour options available (including all-black) in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The USB C port on the rear is far more secure than Micro USB so playing wired is also an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,820 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

ijohhj wrote: »
    Yeah it's nice from that angle, maybe they should have just gone pure white without the duo-tone plastic panelling and faffing around.

Also hilarious that there are no back buttons. I figured that new DS4 accessory was also hinting at the touch pad on this new controller being an oled screen but nope.

Imagine how quick the battery would run out with an OLED screen on the controller :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

At least the triggers look like you can press them without your finger slipping off. Bugged me so much with the DS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,240 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    At least the triggers look like you can press them without your finger slipping off. Bugged me so much with the DS4.

Wasn't that the DS3 (on the PS3)? I never had that issue with the DS4, but I remember buying two copies of the same Playstation magazine because it came with two things you could clip over the trigger buttons so they'd curve outwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Varik

A oled doesn't use much power when it's not being lit fully as each pixel is it's own light source.

Biggest power drain on the DS4 was the capacitive touch pad, and not the light. Didn't help the battery was a little over half the size of the DS3 battery. The low res small OLED on the back button attachment didn't do much to the controller battery life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,818 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Dualshock 4 controller battery is terrible. Can't even last a decent gaming seasion

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Dualshock 4 controller battery is terrible. Can't even last a decent gaming seasion

Using a headset is worse again

I just leave it plugged into the ps4 pro altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 29,488 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I have my light bar at minimum and turn off vibration for most games if not a necessity. A joypad can have all the fancy features in the world but it needs a battery that supports them.

I bought a 3m generic usb cable from cex for 7 euro for my ps3 to work with my ds4. I'm using it now for my ps4 as well. Well worth it if anyone is looking for a cheap long cable (when they open again).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Or if like me, you didn't realise you couldn't charge a DS4 controller with a regular Samsung phone charger. ****ed my battery on brand new DS4 straight out the box :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Can't imagine the ISPs would be keen to see Stadia and its ilk taking off, given the well publicised throttling of Netflix, Amazon over lesser - but still significant - bandwidth usage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,818 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just going to drop this here:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Just going to drop this here:

Was coming to post the same thing, im 40minutes late it seems. That music, oh my Buddha that music

• Registered Users Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I think ya'll might have messed up your controllers. I did that to my last one, charged it with a Samsung cable and the life was basically gone. Got one a good while back, and it lasts me most nights from 6pm to 8am, with about 3/4 hours of watching Netflix/Crunchy Roll in that time, but the rest would be playing CoD, or Carmageddon, or other constant controller use games.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Nostalgia

They badly need to unfilter those old sprites, they look blurry compared to the new and crispy art.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The game *looks* good, but I have grown to learn that I just fundamentally don’t like scrolling beat ‘em ups :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Or if like me, you didn't realise you couldn't charge a DS4 controller with a regular Samsung phone charger. ****ed my battery on brand new DS4 straight out the box :rolleyes:

Just gotta be careful of the outputs of the charger!
    I charge a few of my controllers with an old 1amp charger from something or other.
    Anything more than that might blow the shít out of the batteries, as they are only rated for 800mah on PS4 and 480mah on Xbox one, though my 3rd party battery is rated for 700mah.

Most chargers from phones 2015 and beyond have been 2amp and above :)

Been flitting between Xbox and PS4 this week and my god the battery life on the DS4 would make me lose the will to live. I get a full week or 5 days minimum from the official play and charge kit I got with the Xbox One at launch 7 years ago.

Go to bed and forget to plug in the DS4 you'll be gaming wired the next night. What are the 3rd party ones like? I've seen ones a while back that resemble Xbox controllers in terms of stick layout but they weren't cheap if I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I get a full week or 5 days minimum from the official play and charge kit I got with the Xbox One at launch 7 years ago.

I did not know that! That's savage in fairness, definitely makes the DS4 looks far inferior. And I thought a full night was good!

I did not know that! That's savage in fairness, definitely makes the DS4 looks far inferior. And I thought a full night was good!

I should point out thats without party chat which I don't do much of, but even with a head set connected you get a lot more mileage. I've been working on the PS4 back catalogue in recent weeks and it's infuriating when I forget to plug in the controller at night :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I get a full week or 5 days minimum from the official play and charge kit I got with the Xbox One at launch 7 years ago.
    The official play and charge kit is the business.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement