Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Council - Bin Collection Privatised/Greyhound Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭blondie7

I switched to Citybin in December and got a letter today from Greyhound telling me I owe them €40.80 for removal and sanitation of the bins. Anyone else get this letter?? Needless to say they can go whistle for there money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

blondie7 wrote: »
    I switched to Citybin in December and got a letter today from Greyhound telling me I owe them €40.80 for removal and sanitation of the bins. Anyone else get this letter?? Needless to say they can go whistle for there money!

They seem to be trying that with a lot of people. Just ring them and tell them you wont be paying it

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Brother Psychosis

just moved into ballyfermot. think last tenant was with greyhound... anyone have any hints as to anyone better? it seems citybin dont go that direction and thorntons are fairly pricey.... needless to say the majority of the websites are less than useful!

MarkMc wrote: »
    They seem to be trying that with a lot of people. Just ring them and tell them you wont be paying it

I have and they said i signed up to there Terms and Conditions so have to pay it. I told her to send me these signed Terms and Conditions so lets see cos i cant for the life of me remember signing anything cos i was never given a choice but to go with them! Would also be nice to have my bloody bins removed getting sick of it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 kitcaths

I had my bins collected by Greyhound last week. Whilst I asked them to collect them they didn't tell me I would be charged €40 to remove. I received a letter in the post today to say they were charging me this fee. Not very professional as the letter is dated after the bins were removed and this leaves me with a bitter taste. The government really didn't do themselves justice nor are they trying to resolve issues with this company. They are only looking to line their pockets anyway possible. Bins, water, property tax. Next its the air we breath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

kitcaths wrote: »
    I had my bins collected by Greyhound last week. Whilst I asked them to collect them they didn't tell me I would be charged €40 to remove. I received a letter in the post today to say they were charging me this fee. Not very professional as the letter is dated after the bins were removed and this leaves me with a bitter taste. The government really didn't do themselves justice nor are they trying to resolve issues with this company. They are only looking to line their pockets anyway possible. Bins, water, property tax. Next its the air we breath.
    I asked them via email to collect their bins as I am no longer a customer. They replied a week or two later telling me the same thing.
    After I responded by telling them that I was no longer involved in a contract with Greyhound (the old one expired and I never agreed to start a new one) and therefore did not owe them anything, they quickly answered that it was a "default" mail they send out, and that they won't be looking for money from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 red3

Does anybody know where they store their bins. My wife signed up for a two month free trial!!! the other day but the more i look into it the more i want to stay with my current provider. I see on the website that they have a €40 recovery charge which i have no intention of paying so would like to bring the bins back to them myself. I know they have offices in Clondalkin but i don't know if that where they store the bins???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

We were never charged€40, they just took them eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Anyone else sick of pulling up after a hard day's work to find your neighbour's bin blocking your drive while you then have go halfway down the road to reclaim your own? Is it so hard to just put it back where they got it from?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

dan1895 wrote: »
    Anyone else sick of pulling up after a hard day's work to find your neighbour's bin blocking your drive while you then have go halfway down the road to reclaim your own? Is it so hard to just put it back where they got it from?

Yes. And it is always greyhound bins. I'm with city bins and they leave my bin to the side of the driveway not blocking me or the footpath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭DecTenToo

Well after a grand total of 11 weeks delay, 20 plus emails, phone calls and general back and forth, my bins have finally been removed.

'scuse me, must find the corkscrew and open a bottle to celebrate :):D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

It's over a year since I asked them to take away the bins, and they still haven't. I'm getting a skip in a couple of weeks, so they'll go into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 red3

wow, looks like i made the right decision, i just e-mailed them to get my bins taken away and received an automatic reply saying they would respond to my e-mail within 48hrs!!!! i e-mailed Citybin at 9am on Monday and got a phone call back by lunchtime that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

My bins were collected about a month ago. I'm still awaiting the return of €50 credit on my account.

Has anyone managed to get their money back from Greyhound????

Could I make a small courts claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Electric

My bins were collected about a month ago. I'm still awaiting the return of €50 credit on my account.

Has anyone managed to get their money back from Greyhound????

Could I make a small courts claim?

I'm still waiting on Greyhound to collect their bins and refund the €27 we are owed. I've been emailing them with no response.

I've just been told by the Small Claims Court Office that I cannot pursue Greyhound through small claims, as debts aren't eligible. The only option is a civil procedure which is going to cost waaay more than the €27 owed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,332 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

How is it a debt, a debt is money owed for services or goods.
    They have your money for services not provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭vikingdub

Electric wrote: »
    I'm still waiting on Greyhound to collect their bins and refund the €27 we are owed. I've been emailing them with no response.

I've just been told by the Small Claims Court Office that I cannot pursue Greyhound through small claims, as debts aren't eligible. The only option is a civil procedure which is going to cost waaay more than the €27 owed.

Get on to the Consumer Association and ask them to tell you what options are open to you to collect this money that Greyhound owes you.

fritzelly wrote: »
    How is it a debt, a debt is money owed for services or goods.
    They have your money for services not provided.

I'm just saying what the Small Claims Office told me. I did explain that the money we were looking to recover money left on our account when we terminated our contract with them. They were pretty clear that we couldn't use the Small Claims Procedure.

If anyone has used Small Claims against Greyhound I'd love to know.

vikingdub wrote: »
    Get on to the Consumer Association and ask them to tell you what options are open to you to collect this money that Greyhound owes you.

Thanks for that, I'll give them a ring tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

vikingdub wrote: »
    Maybe the CAI are better, but I opened a case over Greyhound overcharging me (due to their arbitrary policy which was unspecified at the time) and was was shuffled around for a few weeks before being told that there was nothing they could do and that I'd have to go to the small claims court.

That said, Greyhound did eventually offer to waive an annual fee, but no thanks to the NCA...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Got a refund today by cheque! Shocked!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Brother Psychosis

Do greyhound do brown bins? There was a brown bin here when we moved in but i can't find any info on website!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Do greyhound do brown bins? There was a brown bin here when we moved in but i can't find any info on website!

Yes usually gets collected same day as the black one but not at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭CarefulNow!

is it not the same day as green?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

is it not the same day as green?

Depends on where you live, I guess. I'm off Collins Avenue, Green and Brown on the same day.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I am putting this here as its a Dublin City issue.

The mother in law has recently moved from Greyhound to the city bin company, as I did a few months ago. When we moved we just rang Greyhound and they came out to collect there bins that we were no longer using.

The mother in law has done the same but now they are insisting on a 40 euro charge for cleaning the bins. Can they do this..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Merged into the Greyhound Megathread

Dub13 wrote: »
    I am putting this here as its a Dublin City issue.

The mother in law has recently moved from Greyhound to the city bin company, as I did a few months ago. When we moved we just rang Greyhound and they came out to collect there bins that we were no longer using.

The mother in law has done the same but now they are insisting on a 40 euro charge for cleaning the bins. Can they do this..?

They tried this with me i ignored the letter and left there bins outside my gate and they were taken a couple of weeks later. Never heard anything else about the €40 again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

They tried to get me to pay €50 for a six month membership so I could pay €7 for a black bin lift before the changeover date January 2012. The bins are still outside my house :(

However, my brother is taking them for growing spuds in :) otherwise I'd be chopping them up with my jigsaw and putting them in the recycling bin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭madmax72

blondie7 wrote: »
    They tried this with me i ignored the letter and left there bins outside my gate and they were taken a couple of weeks later. Never heard anything else about the €40 again.
    I am just after recieving that letter too.no way am i paying it.just wondering who actually owns the bins.i changed from sdcc sraight to greyhound. do i own the bins or does greyhound????

Advertisement