Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Open Letter to All Irish Airsofters *mod warning in post 2 and 143, please read*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Blazer wrote: »
    To be honest I was tempted to join the IAA as I've some free time on my hands and wanted to be involved.
    However and this is a huge problem....for the past two years I just couldn't join up.
    First off there was the paypal issue and this went on for about 6 months and when it was finally resolved back in last February and I got the form in and paid the printer :rolleyes: went down and I've yet to get a membership card.
    I've sent numerous emails about both the paypal issue and the printer issue and got the usual reassurances that it would all be fixed soon but it's still going on to this date...I'm not even sure if I'm a member or not...:confused:

Nothing out of the ordinary there in that it's always been an issue. I was a member of the IAA from the start and in all the years I was a member I received never a membership card. I once received a letter confirming my updated, 'special' membership number (as part of a charity auction) but that was in 2007 or very early 2008 if I recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Mister TETRA

Lemming wrote: »
    Blazer wrote: »
    To be honest I was tempted to join the IAA as I've some free time on my hands and wanted to be involved.
    However and this is a huge problem....for the past two years I just couldn't join up.
    First off there was the paypal issue and this went on for about 6 months and when it was finally resolved back in last February and I got the form in and paid the printer :rolleyes: went down and I've yet to get a membership card.
    I've sent numerous emails about both the paypal issue and the printer issue and got the usual reassurances that it would all be fixed soon but it's still going on to this date...I'm not even sure if I'm a member or not...:confused:

Nothing out of the ordinary there in that it's always been an issue. I was a member of the IAA from the start and in all the years I was a member I received never a membership card. I once received a letter confirming my updated, 'special' membership number (as part of a charity auction) but that was in 2007 or very early 2008 if I recall.
    But you should receive a card, information about the sport, where you can play Airsoft, what are the conditions of carting your equipment around and regular updates on changes to anything Airsoft related.

But you should receive a card, information about the sport, where you can play Airsoft, what are the conditions of carting your equipment around and regular updates on changes to anything Airsoft related.

Should and do are two different things Tetra. I was pointing out that Blazer's complaints were not unique to the 2011 committee, or the 2010 committee, or the 2009 committee, etc. but a recurring problem that really has needed addressed for quite some time.

Lemming wrote: »

Should and do are two different things Tetra. I was pointing out that Blazer's complaints were not unique to the 2011 committee, or the 2010 committee, or the 2009 committee, etc. but a recurring problem that really has needed addressed for quite some time.
    So an issue as simple as posting cards and storing information on an Excel spreadsheet was never fixed for years?

So an issue as simple as posting cards and storing information on an Excel spreadsheet was never fixed for years?

I'm sure the information is stored. It has to be or else AGM admissions (and decisions held therein) would be unreliable and open to valid challenge.

But from a member's correspondance/membership card point of view I can only give you my experience, although I will point out that there have been similar complaints by others over the years so I am not unique in my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭J.D.R

I'm just curious, is there any reports available to show where the membership fee actually finances?

J.D.R wrote: »
    I'm just curious, is there any reports available to show where the membership fee actually finances?
    The membership fee would be handled by the treasurer of the IAA. I'm sure a spreadsheet is there covering cost of the IAA versus the income. Cash from membership would go towards the website and towards the rental of the room for the AGM along with other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭J.D.R

The membership fee would be handled by the treasurer of the IAA. I'm sure a spreadsheet is there covering cost of the IAA versus the income. Cash from membership would go towards the website and towards the rental of the room for the AGM along with other things.

The only reason I ask is, judging by last years AGM there are 150 "Active Paid up members", which, not including affiliates revenue, means there is 1500 euro to fund the rental of 1 room and 1 (unmaintained) website.

Surely it can't be that much hassle to print 150 packs once a year to give the outline of what has been achieved, what is hoped to be achieved, what needs to happen next year etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭fayer

J.D.R wrote: »
    The only reason I ask is, judging by last years AGM there are 150 "Active Paid up members", which, not including affiliates revenue, means there is 1500 euro to fund the rental of 1 room and 1 (unmaintained) website.

Surely it can't be that much hassle to print 150 packs once a year to give the outline of what has been achieved, what is hoped to be achieved, what needs to happen next year etc.

Very hard for an association to spend money when it has no volunteers to do the spending and run projects, also I am hoping to here an explanation myself at the AGM of why it took so long to get the accounts and money back from the previous committee (this may have affected the signup process, but that is a guess).

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Nuke1973

fayer wrote: »
    Very hard for an association to spend money when it has no volunteers to do the spending and run projects, also I am hoping to here an explanation myself at the AGM of why it took so long to get the accounts and money back from the previous committee (this may have affected the signup process, but that is a guess).

it definitely affected people signing up as I know at least 10 people who wouldn't sign up because of it.

Only paid up myself this week, now comes the wait. Hope I have membership in time for AGM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

With regard to events of the last couple of years , yes I would like to know what really happened or went on , am I entitled to know ? probably yes. Do I need to know ? No.
    I would gladly draw a line through the whole episode and just move on. IAA part II. The greatest sin would be if we don't learn from past issues and keep moving forward. If we move on a few people will be miffed , if we get fully to the bottom of everything and make everything open it will cause splits and rows all across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

Nuke1973 wrote: »
    Only paid up myself this week, now comes the wait. Hope I have membership in time for AGM

Once you apply and pay for membership online, you get a membership number, ergo you are a member.

If you pay by postal order, once the order is received, a manual entry is put in the database, and a membership number is generated. Your membership commences then.

For those that insist that they are not members till they receive their card, everything will be done to ensure that everyone is up to date before the AGM with cards

At the AGm, it is customary to have a printout of all members eligible to attend and this is checked at the door. Even if you dont have your membership card / number with you (though this would be a great help), the committee can verify your details for you

se conman wrote: »
    Do I need to know ? No.
    The greatest sin would be if we don't learn from past issues

Thats kinda contradictory.

At last years AGM, the incoming committee made a commitment to publish their findings. I believe that this will be presented at the AGM.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

BioHazRd wrote: »
    Once you apply and pay for membership online, you get a membership number, ergo you are a member.

If you pay by postal order, once the order is received, a manual entry is put in the database, and a membership number is generated. Your membership commences then.

For those that insist that they are not members till they receive their card, everything will be done to ensure that everyone is up to date before the AGM with cards

At the AGm, it is customary to have a printout of all members eligible to attend and this is checked at the door. Even if you dont have your membership card / number with you (though this would be a great help), the committee can verify your details for you

Quick clarification - are you still on the committee? If not who is still there?

Cheers

At last years AGM, the incoming committee made a commitment to publish their findings. I believe that this will be presented at the AGM.

I mean those involved will hopefully learn from the past and move on.

Quick clarification - are you still on the committee? If not who is still there?

Cheers

I am not on the committee anymore

Currently, as far as I am aware you have Tadhg Scanlan, Tommy Keogh and Alan Ciapas. I am slightly out of the loop so I am open to correction on that

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Nuke1973

Cool,

I paid via Paypal but didn't see a number. I'll bring my receipt to the AGM if i haven't heard anything before then

Not too bothered about a card although it would be handy for travelling abroad with guns

Thanks

Just a reminder to everyone attending the IAA AGM , remember to bring photo ID if you don't have an IAA membership card.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭cobra 08

Well I paid the 10euro online and recieved nothing. Then emailed them about it and was told they where waiting on information to be passed on by the previous committee. In the end got no card and no membership no. so just gave up on the issue and lost all repect for the IAA after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭hrta

1)Will all the people involved in the findings, be presented at the AGM

2) When did the people involved, answer to the complaint.

3) what disciplinary matters are to take place, or did take place.

4) will the findings be published on a public forum, and if not why.

under article 15.
    1. The IAA acknowledges rights, which are extended to all Members of the Association. All Members
    of the IAA are entitled to the same rights, and may enjoy those rights by continued proper conduct
    within the sport.
    2. No Member shall be deprived of Membership, either temporarily or permanently, without the
    opportunity to plead their case to the Executive Committee.
    3. No Member will be subject to any penalty for alleged infractions against the terms of the IAA without
    due process.
    4. Any Member subject to disciplinary action by the Executive Committee is entitled to a fair hearing
    and all matters applicable and reasonable will be taken into account at said hearing before a decision
    is taken.
    9. Any Member subject to disciplinary action by the Executive Committee is entitled to assistance by
    and/or joint representation with another Member at a hearing.
    10. No Member shall be forced to forfeit property, monies or materials in order to become or to
    remain a Member of the IAA, save as to the payment of annual subscription fees.
    11. No demand will be made of, nor Membership contingency be placed upon, any Member to
    attend a minimum number of events or meetings during their Membership term.
    12. No demands for unnecessary fees or superfluous monetary contributions will be made upon
    any Member of the IAA.
    13. No Member of the IAA will be forced to endure hazing or initiation rights in order to join or
    remain a Member.
    14. Any Member of the IAA may inform the Committee of a grievance regarding any topic related
    to the organisation, operation, administration and general activities of the IAA and its Members and
    can be assured that all reasonable time and effort will be given to the subject.
    15. The anonymity of any Member of the IAA who believes it to be their duty to report an act of
    misconduct by another Member is sacrosanct, and all reasonable efforts shall be made by the
    Committee to protect their identity from becoming public, at least until such time as the act of
    misconduct is qualified.
    16. No Member of the IAA will be expected to favour one Airsoft related commercial interest
    over another in order to maintain Membership.
    13. The IAA acknowledges that it has no legal right to impose monetary fines or to confiscate
    property belonging to any individual or Member of the IAA and under no circumstances will any
    Member of the IAA attempt to do so.

• Advertisement

I would imagine (as a non-committee member) that ,
    1 The IAA can NOT force people to attend the AGM.
    2 and 3 This will ONLY be addressed at the AGM and not before.
    4 What ever is discussed at the AGM will be discussed/posted on public forums.
    As I said , this is only my opinion or take on how things will pan out.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Sam Fisher

What date is the AGM on? Can a non IAA member attend the AGM? If not, can one join the IAA at the AGM and attend?

AGM is on the 28th Jan , You must be a paid up member of the IAA by 15th Jan in order to attend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Tommyboy71

I am not on the committee anymore

Currently, as far as I am aware you have Tadhg Scanlan, Tommy Keogh and Alan Ciapas. I am slightly out of the loop so I am open to correction on that

This is correct. Thanks Richie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Tommyboy71

AGM is on the 28th Jan , You must be a paid up member of the IAA by 15th Jan in order to attend.

Correction on that. You must be paid up by January 20th.

What about the site owners and retailers. We can attended right.

If you are a paid up member by 20th Jan .

You can either become an individual member by Jan 20th, or become an affiliated retailer / site. The time frame for the second option rules that one out I'm afraid.

Just to remind you, the AGM is only open to members of the IAA. The minutes etc will be publically posted afterwards

Members sre both individual members and affiliated members. The main difference is that affiliated members dont have a vote

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

What is the situation with regards to those of us who followed the website instructions and paid via PayPal, only to be told that the current committee cannot access that money (to bank or refund it)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭drpepper

sliabh wrote: »
    What is the situation with regards to those of us who followed the website instructions and paid via PayPal, only to be told that the current committee cannot access that money (to bank or refund it)?

I would print my receipt showing the recipient info and your details and photo ID. Nobody should refuse you entry with that info.

Advertisement