Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I remember asking here about the sleeping bags with arms, I think ASDA do them, but someone told me not to buy them because babies regulate their temperature by losing heat through their arms and head so if you cover their arms it might hinder this. Haven't a notion how accurate it is but it put me off buying them and we just used a grobag with fleecy babygro
    (or 2 regular babygros) instead and never had a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

I don't want to sound like a broken record but I'd prefer baby to wake with the cold rather than overheat. A paramedic told a friend of mine that a lot of their call outs to babies are because of overheating. They even said those fleecy sleep suits are unnecessary unless the temperature in your house really drops. If you look on the grobag website it gives the safe levels of clothing using the different weight grobags for different temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

Anyone juggling study, motherhood, work and trying to incorporate exercise into their routines? Id love some advice on how to balance it all..!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Makapakka wrote: »
    Anyone juggling study, motherhood, work and trying to incorporate exercise into their routines? Id love some advice on how to balance it all..!

Yup. I am, but not doing well with it at all, dropping balls all over the place. So if anyone has any tips...

Also doesn't help that I've had a kind of flu/ cold thing going on for over a month now and by about 8pm I'm exhausted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Can anyone recommend a potty? Really need to buy one soon ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Millem wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a potty? Really need to buy one soon ;)

This is totally awesome and half price! We paid €50 for it! T absolutely adored the music on it and loved flushing it. He was trained in about 2-3 days with it for the wee. :)

https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3763090/Trail/searchtext>Fisher+price+potty.htm

What are the signs for being ready to toilet train? I was hoping to give it a go in may or june.

Sligo1 wrote: »
    This is totally awesome and half price! We paid €50 for it! T absolutely adored the music on it and loved flushing it. He was trained in about 2-3 days with it for the wee. :)

https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3763090/Trail/searchtext%3EFisher+price+potty.htm

Sligo can't click on your link but think I know it! Saw it on argos but no stock anywhere :(
    n loves thomas was thinking if a thomas one??? Or are the basic ones the best from a hygiene point of view :confused:

What are the signs for being ready to toilet train? I was hoping to give it a go in may or june.

Mrspostman I am going at start in may I think as finish work second last week ;)
    N went from telling me when doing his number 2, pulling off nappy when wet. Now he only does number 2 in private eg hide behind curtain or try and hide in his wardrobe etc and Denies to the highest degree that he has done one and runs away from me!!! I had a chat with him yesterday and he will say mammy and daddy go to the loo etc but he does his toilet in his nappy.
    I hope I haven't missed the boat :(

I just want to have a potty in the house to show him.

Ah my fella isn't anywhere near that yet I think. He understands that adults wee in the toilet and he knows when he is going himself but no hiding to poo or pulling the nappy off yet. He loves the elmos potty dvd though :D I'll have to start putting it on a loop :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Lots of varying ones, but I think the most important ones are

1. Being able to walk upstairs unaided, this means their core muscles are strong enough for bladder control
    2. Ability to communicate
    3. Ability to understand the benefits of toilet over nappies
    4. Parents immense patience and 3 days set aside to stay in to get it done

I'm going to try to train my 2 year old next week, we have the four points but I fear her stubbornness will be our downfall. The joys!

I got a potty a couple of weeks before we started on my first, brought her to bathroom with me, asked did she want to use it at night etc. Got the potty book and sticker books, she was trained in 3 days

Ah my fella isn't anywhere near that yet I think. He understands that adults wee in the toilet and he knows when he is going himself but no hiding to poo or pulling the nappy off yet. He loves the elmos potty dvd though :D I'll have to start putting it on a loop :)

Mrspostman I just hope that I didn't miss window for training!!! I bring him to toilet with me every time (in case he assaults the dogs lol lol).
    Everyone I know waits till kids are 3 years old tbh.
    My guy can walk up the stairs by himself but I walk behind him just in case he falls ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I went straight for the big toilet, with a special seat, and step to get up and down. My boy is very tall, so he was well able to manage to get up and down, and potty looked really uncomfortable (I bought one, but only used once or twice).
    Worked well. And I have to say I was glad not to have to be cleaning out the potty!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

We little one asked....just said she wanted to pee.

The potty we got was high backed (they can be there for a while), wide and high off the ground. The inside potty part comes out so easier to wash and clean but can stick to their bum when they stand up.

Didn't do DVDs or books but gave a baby biscuit (bought a bag of ginger bread men and gave one for a pee for the first day or two, then every second pee for about five days.

Poos took longer but the child was like clock work so for the first week I would put a cartoon on at poo time so they sat on the potty and got a biscuit again. Managed to stop them after a week by saying 9am is too early for biscuits, we can do that later and they always forgot!

I have a seat on the normal toilet now with a step ladder although not needed anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Millem wrote: »
    Now he only does number 2 in private eg hide behind curtain or try and hide in his wardrobe etc and Denies to the highest degree that he has done one and runs away from me!!!

Could have written this myself! My little fella will be 3 in May so really need to start thinking about training him. Thinking about aiming for Easter but dreading it! My daughter had it sorted within hours, I reckon we might be talking months for him :)

In relation to potty etc we also went straight for the toilet. We started getting her to use the toilet every time she was having a bath (even though she was still in nappies), so she got used to using it etc. Then when we started training we had a little step and the toilet with no seat inserts etc. My childminder reckoned if you can get them to use the toilet it saves needing to transition to it further down the line, and you also dont have any issues while out and about etc.

Sillysocks today I put him in his room playing while I dried my hair. He has baby gate and has door opened. I was standing at my doorway so could see him.
    Anyway he closed the door and refused to let me in!! I could smell the poo!
    When I opened door he was in his wardrobe hiding, denying he had done a poo!! All very theatrical, shaking the head "no mammy", pushing me away!

I read online that I should get him to go to the bathroom when I know he is pooing (instead of hiding behind door etc). Must start that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

sillysocks wrote: »
    Could have written this myself! My little fella will be 3 in May so really need to start thinking about training him. Thinking about aiming for Easter but dreading it! My daughter had it sorted within hours, I reckon we might be talking months for him :)

In relation to potty etc we also went straight for the toilet. We started getting her to use the toilet every time she was having a bath (even though she was still in nappies), so she got used to using it etc. Then when we started training we had a little step and the toilet with no seat inserts etc. My childminder reckoned if you can get them to use the toilet it saves needing to transition to it further down the line, and you also dont have any issues while out and about etc.

We were the same with my daughter actually. She went straight to toilet with a little step, we completely followed her lead. She didn't like the potty so I was glad I only picked up a cheapie one and she also didn't like the toilet insert so it wasn't needed either.

Every kid seems to be so individual, my daughter was 2.5 and she was just ready so it took a day or two and me clapping like a lunatic was enough for her, she didn't need stickers etc, she was just delighted with herself. A colleague in works daughter basically trained herself at 18 months whereas her two older sons were 3-3.5 before they were trained, they all required different tools and encouragements etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

We went straight to the toilet too with a seat and a step up to it. We had both the soft style seat and a moulded plastic one... Loads of star stickers too for a chart on the wall :)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

My guy never did any of the hiding or pulling off nappies either, yet he was fully trained in 3 days when we started - day and night dryness. I have a stubborn one so was worried he and I would have a right time of it but I was proven wrong thankfully.

Millem the FP Thomas the Tank Engine potty is reduced to 32.99 in Smyths!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

MrsPostman it's sooo awesome! L was sitting on it tonight! Lol lol. She's gas. No intention of doing a wee wee whatsoever. But takes her nappy off and sits on it saying she wants to do a wee wee... And flushing the handle!

Ah Sligo that's too cute!! :D I can picture my 2 killing each other if we got one of those potties. My little woman runs rings around her poor older brother, it's like she learns everything by watching him and then uses it against him with her attitude :pac:

Thanks Mrspostman. I don't know whether to get basic one or not? Might swing into ikea they are €3 and €7!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

I started my little one last month but she kept getting Diarrhea so decided to put her off until summer after new baby comes.

Since making that decision she has made an executive decision to train herself lol she took her nappy off the other morning and used the potty herself for the day lol I literally haven't had to do anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Ah blast from the past. I accidentally clicked on the boards app on my phone so decided to pop in here for a look. I havent been on in months now. Just doing a quick catch up and read the past few pages but im miles behind. Hope everyone is keeping well

Re potty training we used a potty but transitioned to toilet easily as id been putting her on the toilet every night before her bath for months before hand. Main reason for using a potty was so i wouldnt have to run upstairs really quickly. She potty trained in 3 days at 2 and 3mnths.

My son will be 2 this month but i wouldnt dream of it any time soon. I do sit him on the toilet some evenings when he co operates.

Nice to see alot of the names pottering around here still. .

My two are now nearly 2 and nearly 4. Ive had such a mad few months. I havent been well and L (2yr old) can be a bit of a handful. He had grommets inserted in jan and wil be starting early intervention soon as failed alot of developmental checks. Im hoping it was down to his ears but theres times when i feel there is more behind it. Were still not getting much sleep either which is very hard especially with my medical condition and a sensitive little 4yr old too. The poor divil has been through the mill herself and has such a huge understanding of things for the age of her. Thankfully she is in pre school 3 mornings a week and im going to look at a creche for L during the week to possibly send him 2 mornings.

Anyway hope everyone else is doing well. Going to have to pop in here more often. Ive actually missed it.

Oh and happy mothers day.

My lil man was a march 2014 baby (as a few others here were) and finally greeted us on mothers day 2014 so a little special.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Happy mothers day all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

Happy Mother's Day everybody!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,081 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Tell me this now. Have a passport for the little one. It expires in July. Going on holidays in May, shortly after her third birthday. Will she be OK to travel on her current one, giving that it's out of date two months later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

beertons wrote: »
    Tell me this now. Have a passport for the little one. It expires in July. Going on holidays in May, shortly after her third birthday. Will she be OK to travel on her current one, giving that it's out of date two months later.

Depends on location, some international countries (states, Thailand) demand that you have to have 3/6 months left on passport

Most European are fine once you are due to return home before passport expires

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Depends on location, some international countries (states, Thailand) demand that you have to have 3/6 months left on passport

Most European are fine once you are due to return home before passport expires

Just as we had to check this out last year the states have an agreement with some countries, Ireland included, that the passport need only be in date for the duration of the stay. In case it's the states you're off to beertons!

Advertisement