Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Newborn & Toddlers Off-Topic Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Does anyone have any tips for getting stains out of baby clothes? Mainly orangey stains from tomato based food. I'm sick of throwing clothes out because of them. I've tried steeping immediately but it doesn't seem to work. Why do they even make baby/small kids clothes in light colours in the first place?? :confused:

I could never find a solution to this either. Best suggestion which I think was made on this forum, was to leave them in direct sunlight and it bleaches the stain. That definitely works but takes a couple of washes/dries to fade down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I made a set of special bibs for my son that completely covered his clothes, it was cheaper than having to buy new clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Does anyone have any tips for getting stains out of baby clothes? Mainly orangey stains from tomato based food. I'm sick of throwing clothes out because of them. I've tried steeping immediately but it doesn't seem to work. Why do they even make baby/small kids clothes in light colours in the first place?? :confused:

Only thing I've ever found that worked was to immediately (or as soon as possible) rinse the stain, then put a tiny dab of bleach on it, gently rub, and as soon as the stain is gone, rinse the bleach out really well and put in the wash. Works for food, and poo stains on the leg holes of vests when there's a leak! I only use the tiniest dot of bleach, obvs you don't want a load of bleach on baby clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

The ikea bibs and coveralls are great for keeping them clean.

For stains, if it's organic, ie poop, blood, tomato etc, wet the stain, add some lemon juice and leave in the sun. It'll still work when it's cloudy but will just take longer. Keep the stain damp and as it dries naturally the stain will come out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

The ikea bibs and coveralls are great for keeping them clean.

For stains, if it's organic, ie poop, blood, tomato etc, wet the stain, add some lemon juice and leave in the sun. It'll still work when it's cloudy but will just take longer. Keep the stain damp and as it dries naturally the stain will come out too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Just saying hi! I'm very excited to join this thread, I became a Mammy to a beautiful baby boy last Friday :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Thanks everyone. I have a few of the ikea bibs but she still manages to get stains somewhere somehow :( I often strip her down for meals but it's just not practical to do every time. And my OH usually forgets to even put a bib on her so she gets destroyed altogether when he does the mealtime :rolleyes:

I might give the bleach idea a go. Actually, I have a few boxes of Milton tablets that I had forgotten about, I wonder if I broke small bits off the tablets and rubbed them into the fresh stains would it help.

Every time, I swear to myself that I'm not going to buy any more light coloured clothes but I just can't help myself :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Just saying hi! I'm very excited to join this thread, I became a Mammy to a beautiful baby boy last Friday :)

Congrats and enjoy all those new born cuddles!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Welcome and congratulations :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Nudie babies get no stains on their clothes :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

I have a crap top-loader washing machine here and it is brutal for washing clothes, never mind stains. If the clothes can take it, I add a small amount of bleach to the wash itself, and the machine has a 'bleach rinse' button . Have a look at your machine instructions and see if you can add a bit of bleach to your wash. I just use regular household bleach and it works a charm.

I only learned about putting bleach into the machine when I moved to the states, it seems common where I am but I think it is more because of the woeful top-loader machines that are so popular here.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

I use an old fashioned soap called "household soap". My mother always used it as a child on our clothes and now I know why!! It's a bar of soap that I rub onto the stain with a nail brush. It is hard to get. Dealz sometimes have it. I rate it much more successful than Vanish etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Electric

I've found that the best stain remover is actually washing up liquid. I've been able to lift stains from squash, carrots, explosive nappies, without a trace.

Just wet/dampen the clothes, rub in a tiny drop of washing up liquid until it foams up and then into the washing machine. It even works when the stain has dried in.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Makapakka

Hi all, just looking for advice on a few things. Little one is 2.5 and can talk to me no problem, eats well, sleeping not so well.

First thing is she comes in to me most nights. I want to try and stop this as I plan to move her into a bed at some stage this year. That plus we are having broken sleep every night because of it. How do I start the process of keeping her in her cot? I am expecting a few nights with no sleep. Sometimes if she wakes up mid night, I bring her in on auto. So I have to try stop that.

Second thing is how much do you "let go" regarding behaviour? Earlier she was spilling her drink on purpose, I asked her not to, and she ignored me. Earlier still, she was spitting, I told her no, she ignored me. I thought the ignoring wouldn't come for another few years. I feel like I'm constantly giving out, and I do praise her a lot. She says to me sometimes "I not a bold girl. I a good girl" and I tell her that yes she is, but she has to start doing what she's told.. It makes me sad to think she's thinking this. I'm not over strict or anything, least I don't think I am.. Is this normal two year old behaviour?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

If she's coming into you in cot I'd just move her into bed now and bring her back into her bed every single time she gets out: what I did was set a time I would bring her back into her bed until :say 4 am and after that she could come in (so I still got sleep). Just push it out later every night. Otherwise you will have to get her to stay in cot then in a few months go through the same thing again. I did that with my older girl. Younger one is a pain :D

As for ignoring: I'm anal about water being spilled since I broke my wrist from one of them spilling water under the foam mats. I don't ignore spitting or biting ever. But I do ignore all the little spats they have etc... It just all depends. Distraction can be good: so if they start spilling water I say lets have a tea party and we drink water from cups. Or suggest colouring instead. It's really really challenging though.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

I saw a pair of geox runners reduced on paul byrons website in my two year old size which is 28/29. Reading the description it states that they are designed for children 6 and over. Anyone have any idea what that's about?! Not sure if I should but them now but surely it shouldn't matter, or should it. He is going to cost me a fortune in shoes!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

cant26 wrote: »
    I saw a pair of geox runners reduced on paul byrons website in my two year old size which is 28/29. Reading the description it states that they are designed for children 6 and over. Anyone have any idea what that's about?! Not sure if I should but them now but surely it shouldn't matter, or should it. He is going to cost me a fortune in shoes!

Just beware that apparently geox are a narrow fit so if you're child is a g or above, they mightn't be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

yellow hen wrote: »
    Just beware that apparently geox are a narrow fit so if you're child is a g or above, they mightn't be worth it.

Thanks for that. Think I'll leave them!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Couchkitten

Makapakka wrote: »
    Hi all, just looking for advice on a few things. Little one is 2.5 and can talk to me no problem, eats well, sleeping not so well.

First thing is she comes in to me most nights. I want to try and stop this as I plan to move her into a bed at some stage this year. That plus we are having broken sleep every night because of it. How do I start the process of keeping her in her cot? I am expecting a few nights with no sleep. Sometimes if she wakes up mid night, I bring her in on auto. So I have to try stop that.

Second thing is how much do you "let go" regarding behaviour? Earlier she was spilling her drink on purpose, I asked her not to, and she ignored me. Earlier still, she was spitting, I told her no, she ignored me. I thought the ignoring wouldn't come for another few years. I feel like I'm constantly giving out, and I do praise her a lot. She says to me sometimes "I not a bold girl. I a good girl" and I tell her that yes she is, but she has to start doing what she's told.. It makes me sad to think she's thinking this. I'm not over strict or anything, least I don't think I am.. Is this normal two year old behaviour?

I have a 2.5 year old too. No real advice on the bed thing. I bring my one in with us if she wakes during night. However moving her to a bed was a bit of a magic sleeping pill for us. I know not everyone finds this though. She now sleeps through most nights and when she does wake up, she comes into us herself, gets into our bed and goes straight back to sleep.

I let loads go. I also pretend I don't see stuff like her dipping her food in her water. In think I'm from the school of lazy parenting on that one. I think all toddlers want to make you happy but they haven't yet developed the self control they would need to do what they are told all the time. I try and give loads of choices, make things fun and distract a lot. When I have the patience for it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Over sharing - Sorry :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Oh dear, hugs to you. There used to be a PND thread here. Perhaps you can find it and post there so people reply specifically to you. My understanding of PND is (from thr midwife at out ante natal who had it) was it isnt something that just goes away. So it's quite possible that you have it 2 years on. Perhaps speak to your gp about it.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

That's a totally understandable reaction to what your employers told you. :). I think I'd be exactly the same if I was told that. In my case I knew it was 5 days, no flexi, no work from home from before I even got pregnant and even then I was in bits going back full time, and it took a while to adjust.

And I do get Working Mammy Guilt from time to time about it (WMG). There are days when I'd love a happy medium, maybe working half days, finishing by about 2pm. The best of both worlds. But I maximise my time with him outside of work whatever way I can. My house is messier than it used to be, and has been for a couple of years now. But given the choice between spending three hours on the weekend puddling with him or giving out to him for getting in the way of me cleaning, I know which one I'm going for right now.

In the meantime I just plod along and hope the economy improves so I can get job hunting for something that suits us as a family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Ah the fun of clepto children as I once again return to local store to pay for a taken item!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Does anyone know if the clevamama drawer and cupboard locks have to be screwed in or do they stick on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Hi all, what do you do to cover your babies in their crib when they have started the rolling phase? I have tried a grobag but it is an armless one and she is used to more warmth than it gives so she is waking... i used to use a quilt with her and now i am afraid to..any advice?

(Youd think i would have a clue, as we only went through this with our son 2 yrs ago, but its amazing how many things you forget!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Hi all, what do you do to cover your babies in their crib when they have started the rolling phase? I have tried a grobag but it is an armless one and she is used to more warmth than it gives so she is waking... i used to use a quilt with her and now i am afraid to..any advice?

(Youd think i would have a clue, as we only went through this with our son 2 yrs ago, but its amazing how many things you forget!)

Could you put a little cardigan on underneath the grobag of you are afraid of her arms getting cold. Both ours use grobags with long sleeved PJs. We also tuck them in using a cellular blanket over the grobag if needed during winter (but this doesn't cover their arms. Just up to their chests. Little cardigan could be an idea...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

I'd be careful of overheating your baby. If your house is between 18 and 20 degrees, a short sleeve vest, babygro and 2.5 tog grobag is perfect. By any chance is your LO going through the 4 month sleep regression??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I'd be careful of overheating your baby. If your house is between 18 and 20 degrees, a short sleeve vest, babygro and 2.5 tog grobag is perfect. By any chance is your LO going through the 4 month sleep regression??

Yea I'd agree with this. If room is 18 or over 2.5tog is ample. I know some houses get a good but colder tho around 16-17. So a little think cardigan or grobag with sleeves may help. But only if the room is a cold room. You can actually get grobags that are 3.5tog aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

We have all sleeping bags with arms for our little one. I live in Europe though where I can buy those everywhere, even in the equivalent of Pennys. In Ireland I think Jojo Maman Bebe has long sleeved sleeping bags don't they? And you can definitely order them online.

Tesco online have them:
    http://www.tesco.com/direct/by-carla-lazy-days-25-tog-long-sleeved-sleeping-bag-0-6-months/749-9168.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=749-9168

Or this crowd:
    http://www.slumbersac.ie/long-sleeve-sleeping-bags

The long sleeved ones are the job I have to say, we've never had to use a blanket for our 17 month old (since she was a newborn)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Cunning stunt my boy is a January baby and I bought him "gro suits". They are by the gro bag company. They are basically babygrows with padded arms!!
    I put a grobag over him too.

Advertisement