Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Logitech Revue with Google TV

Options
  • 03-01-2012 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭podge3

Following on from this thread,http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056497385, lets try and keep the technical stuff here.

First off, almost everyone seems to be having the step 7 problem. I too had this problem but I eventually got past it. I don't quite know how - I rebooted a few times and also kept prodding the retry button. After about 2 hours it just seemed to work for no apparent reason.

Despite what some posters say over on the BA thread, THE STEP 7 IS MOST LIKELY NOT A FIRMWARE ISSUE OR A FAULT. It looks like it may be server problems at Logitech. There are a few threads on the subject over on the Logitech Forums.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭podge3

Response from Logitech on the step 7 issue:
    At the moment we are experiencing an issue with the Logitech MyHarmony.com servers which are used for registering new Revues and Harmony remotes. Unfortunately I cannot provide an ETA as to when it will be back up, but that is what is causing this issue. I would recommend retrying every 15 or so minutes and eventually it will connect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

thanks podge.
    at least they are aware of the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

Here is the response from Logitech on their forums...

Official - WiFi issues

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Revue/Official-WiFi-issues/td-p/749586

12-12-2011 03:55 PM - last edited on 12-20-2011 02:42 PM

Thanks everyone for your feedback. We have put together a document for our Customer Support reps which we would also like to share with you. It is the most comprehensive list of step-by-step work-around instructions we have at this time. We are trying to get an idea of the extent of this problem and the models of routers involved (if there is a pattern). Certain routers appear to have no issues whatsoever - no comfort if yours is affected however.

Inital steps

Make sure your Router is on its latest firmware
    [NEW] Remove all spaces from, special characters from SSID and keep it short (no more than 25 chars) - thanks portscan! [NEW]

Reboot router
    Try it!

If you are stuck at STEP 4 or 5 during the setup process,

(This is the first time during the update that a WiFi issue will manifest itself.) Then try the following:

Click the BACK button on the Keyboard Controller to get you back to Step 4 (Network)
    Select Wireless
    Select your SSID
    Input your password
    Under IP Settings, select STATIC (Default is Dynamic)
    Input a VALID IP address for your Router
    Type in your Router's Gateway Address (the same you would use to log into the router from a PC)
    Type in "24" for the Prefix
    Type in 8.8.8.8 for DNS 1
    Type in 8.8.4.4 for DNS 2
    Click the Connect button
    That should connect you to your Wireless router and present you with Step 5 where you can try to log in again. If this does not work then:

Factory reset your Revue - hold the button at the back down firmly for around 45 seconds, then release - see if you get past step 5 this time around.

Otherwise

STEP A

Try the following steps in the order listed:

Disable Wi-Fi on the Revue: System Settings > Network > Wi-Fi > Turn off Wi-Fi
    Enable Wi-Fi on the Revue: System Settings > Network > Wi-Fi > Turn on Wi-Fi > select an AP
    Reboot the Revue -- CTRL + ALT + DEL or Unplug / Replug
    STEP B

If the above does not work, then try the following:

Disable Wi-Fi on the Revue
    Power OFF the Revue by removing the Power Plug
    Power Cycle the Router / ISP Provided Network Equipment
    Verify that Wi-Fi is functioning by using another device (Not Revue) to access the same Router / Wi-Fi Network
    Power on the Revue by plugging the Power back in
    Enable Wi-Fi on the Revue
    Verify the Revue is working by going to System Settings > Network > Status == Local Network & Internet should now read Connected
    STEP C

If the above does not work, then try the following:

If the router is a Duel Band Router, disable the 5GHz broadcast - Does this resolve the issue?
    If the router has a Hidden SSID, enable SSID broadcast - Does this resolve the issue?
    If the SSID has any special characters or spaces in the name, change the SSID to a Simple text string - Does this resolve the issue?
    If the router is using WEP 64 or 128, then DISABLE this mode and change to TKIP or OPEN - Does this resolve the issue?
    STEP D

If the above does not work, then assuming you are POST-setup (for PRE-setup see first section)

Go to System Settings > Network > Wi-Fi
    Select your SSID
    Input your password
    Under IP Settings, select STATIC (Default is Dynamic)
    Input a VALID IP address for your Router
    Type in your Router's Gateway Address (the same you would use to log into the router from a PC)
    Type in "24" for the Prefix
    Type in 8.8.8.8 for DNS 1
    Type in 8.8.4.4 for DNS 2
    Click the Connect button

If all above work-arounds fail, then please document all of the following information into this thread

There is some additional info here I did not ask for in my first posting.

ISP Name
    ISP Provided Network Equipment (Cable/DSL MODEM)
    Customer installed Network Equipment (Router)
    Make / Model / FW version for all above equipment
    LAN MAC address from the Revue (White sticker on belly, or System Settings > Network > Status = Ethernet MAC address
    Logitech Build Number currently installed on the Revue (System Settings > About > Build Number

Amigaman wrote: »
    Here is the response from Logitech on their forums...

Official - WiFi issues

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Revue/Official-WiFi-issues/td-p/749586

12-12-2011 03:55 PM - last edited on 12-20-2011 02:42 PM

Thanks everyone for your feedback. We have put together a document for our Customer Support reps which we would also like to share with you. It is the most comprehensive list of step-by-step work-around instructions we
    There is some additional info here I did not ask for in my first posting.

ISP Name
    INumber currently installed on the Revue (System Settings > About > Build Number
    Thats for Step 4/5 problems. If you get to Step 7, then its another problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Anybody know how to get over the zip code? I'm stuck there and can't go back or forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

bmaxi wrote: »
    Anybody know how to get over the zip code? I'm stuck there and can't go back or forward.

Where you stick with a zip code? Trying to set up a gmail account, just set one up on your computer here https://accounts.google.com/SignUp?service=mail&continue=https%3A%2F%2Fmail.google.com%2Fmail%2F&ltmpl=default then log in, if you don't already have it download google chrome to your pc as it's a very quick browser for the internet.

Ok, both of my Revues have now got past step 7. The second unit took several hours. I did ctrl-alt-del several times - dunno if that made a difference.

I used 12345 as a ZIP code. That will give you a location in the US. Obviously the TV stations info will be all wrong as you can't select Ireland.

Where you stick with a zip code? Trying to set up a gmail account, just set one up on your computer here https://accounts.google.com/SignUp?service=mail&continue=https%3A%2F%2Fmail.google.com%2Fmail%2F&ltmpl=default then log in, if you don't already have it download google chrome to your pc as it's a very quick browser for the internet.[/QUO

It's step 9, asking for details of TV provider. I've entered my g-mail details but it wont let me past this step unless I enter a zip code. There is provision to skip this step but it's not highlighted

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I used 90210 - we still have a 45,00sq.ft pied-a-terre over there...

Just got the Ariva Combo unit programmed with the Revue. Works very well.

• Advertisement

podge3 wrote: »
    Just got the Ariva Combo unit programmed with the Revue. Works very well.

Buggered if I can get the Ariva programmed, it'll defeat the whole purpose if I can't. Were you able to set it up as an STB? It wouldn't give me that option.

parsi wrote: »

Managed to get past the step, I don't even know what I did. :)

parsi wrote: »

Managed to get past the step, I don't even know what I did. :)

We've all been there ...

I've the humax and tv programmed now.

Also downloaded the Revue app from the US iTunes store so I can confuse myself with all the controllers.

Buggered if I can get the Ariva programmed, it'll defeat the whole purpose if I can't. Were you able to set it up as an STB? It wouldn't give me that option.
    I had to "learn" the remote to the Revue to get it to work.

Yeah. I did that too and it accepted the codes. I think it's because it's listed as an AVR rather than an STB, but it wouldn't give me the option to install it as an STB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

sign up for http://www.unblock-us.com/ and it looks like us sites work like netflix. Costs 3.90 euro a month for unblok-us sub.

I signed up for netflix last year using an entropay account and worked out as just over 6 euros per month. Not subscribed to it at the moment so cant confirm it works but i was able log into netflix no problem.

So a tenner a month wouldnt be too bad for the content you would get from netflix.

unblock-us seems too good to be true! us sites work and uk sites work (rte player still works but the picture doesnt get displayed right on the google tv). You just have to change your dns when you sign up for it.

i managed to get by step 7 a couple of hours ago.
    I' m wanting to stream media from my laptop onto my tv via the Revue.
    Can anyone tell me what software i need to install in order to do this?
    I guess i need something like the xbmc?

Thanks

unblock-us seems too good to be true! us sites work and uk sites work (rte player still works but the picture doesnt get displayed right on the google tv). You just have to change your dns when you sign up for it.
    How are you able to view RTE Player? Is there an Android app for that?

Working apps for GTV: http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/google-tv-apps/4047-working-apps-google-tv.html

Dunno if they will all work in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Tiesto wrote: »
    I' m wanting to stream media from my laptop onto my tv via the Revue.
    Can anyone tell me what software i need to install in order to do this?
    I guess i need something like the xbmc?
    Was hoping just sharing a folder on the network would do it. I'll have XBMC or Boxee on a Ubuntu machine on the network though but it would be good to know in advance so can do some research.
    Fantastic, was looking for this but couldn't find it, my Google-Fu failed.

How long were people waiting for the Revue. I just got an email that my Revue has shipped ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Irish Halo wrote: »
    Was hoping just sharing a folder on the network would do it. I'll have XBMC or Boxee on a Ubuntu machine on the network though but it would be good to know in advance so can do some research.

Fantastic, was looking for this but couldn't find it, my Google-Fu failed.

How long were people waiting for the Revue. I just got an email that my Revue has shipped ...

i missed the couir today ordered last week so not long at all

Finally got the Ariva programmed, it was simple enough in the end but one major criticism I have of the Revue is lack of a user manual, there isn't even one online.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Zilog

Resistance is futile ... in a moment of weakness just ordered a Revue. Have other Logitech hardware (Squeezebox, Harmony remotes) which I like. Pity Logitech caved, looks like Google TV might have a future, judging from feedback on the 3.x firmware.

My question - what's the story with Irish and UK TV listings? I presume there's no default feed yet, is it possible to pull from the internet or over-the-air? I have HTPC with DVB-T and DVB-S card which can pull EPG over-the-air (using MediaPortal). Could run a grabber in parallel to convert to XML. Can the Revue 'import' this?
    If I can get Saorview and Freesat listings onto the Revue, it would solve major shortcomings of my combo box - limited EPG and manual recording setup.

To be honest, looking forward to dabbling with the Revue as much as using it! :)

Two issues that annoy me :

- no proper "off" button/command - don't really like leaving it humming away
    - the HDMI passthrough doesn't work if the device is totally unpowered

I tried to watch 'sky go' using the Revue last night but I needed Silverlight.
    It prompted me to install what i believe was a linux version of Silverlight.
    I hit proceed or whatever but nothing happened after that.

Any ideas?
    Would be great to get Sky Go working with this

Thanks

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,459 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Having UPC HD, is there any real benefit connecting the stb to the revue, besides for pip? I don't mind having the revue as a separate unit to use for an Internet browser on a separate input.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 BryanS

It's true - without the ability to connect to the EPG there isn't much point in connecting the sky box. I actually find PIP a bit annoying - it always seems to be in the way.

I downloaded the Airtight app last night to see if I could get airplay to work from my iphone - but it seems that the phone needs to be jailbroken to connect directly. Pity they didn't mention this in the app description.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

How are you able to view RTE Player? Is there an Android app for that?

google tv has a google chrome web browser that plays flash videos so you can just go to the rte website. But for some reason the picture gets messed up when you play rte player in full screen.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,459 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Going to put audiogalaxy and airvideo on this. My mac is always on, so going to stream all my stuff that way. What's the RAM of these boxes and processor by the way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭dunworth1

antodeco wrote: »
    Having UPC HD, is there any real benefit connecting the stb to the revue, besides for pip? I don't mind having the revue as a separate unit to use for an Internet browser on a separate input.

you can control the box using the keyboard.

Advertisement