Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Logitech Revue with Google TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭dodzy

Is there something I can do to get upc on this?
    I don't have a hd box just a normal one with a scart lead is there any converter etc i could get?
    Scart to hdmi upscaler ( google ) . Prob set you back about 30 - 40 quid. Or get onto upc loyalty dept and you should be able to get te HD box for an extra fiver per month; they should waive the initial "box cost " fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭Sappy404

dodzy wrote: »
    Scart to hdmi upscaler ( google ) . Prob set you back about 30 - 40 quid. Or get onto upc loyalty dept and you should be able to get te HD box for an extra fiver per month; they should waive the initial "box cost " fee.

Seconded. I was already paying rental on the analog box it seems so they just upped it by €1.53 or something and now I'm getting HD. Box delivery was free too. Be sure to ask for Loyalty Dept when you contact them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Mickery

Has anyone got the Revue working with earlier versions of Logitech Media Server?

My Zyxel NSA221 network attached server runs version 7.5.1 but the Revue can't see it.

Might try upgrading to the latest version if I can figure out how to run the executable on the Zyxel box.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Zilog

Mickery wrote: »
    Has anyone got the Revue working with earlier versions of Logitech Media Server?

My Zyxel NSA221 network attached server runs version 7.5.1 but the Revue can't see it.

Might try upgrading to the latest version if I can figure out how to run the executable on the Zyxel box.
    I believe only versions from 7.7 up will work with the Revue. These include the DLNA plugin which the Revue requires. You may be able to keep your existing Squeezebox version and run another DLNA server e.g. Twonky

Zilog wrote: »
    I believe only versions from 7.7 up will work with the Revue. These include the DLNA plugin which the Revue requires. You may be able to keep your existing Squeezebox version and run another DLNA server e.g. Twonky

Thanks Zilog. Yeah, I think you're right. My NAS has a built in DLNA player which worked ok but I thought the Logitech Server would be slicker and better matched to the Revue. I installed 7.7.2 on a laptop and the Revue picked it up no bother. Album art was found for all my music which hadn't worked reliably previously. Annoyingly pause\stop functionality still does not work properly when playing videos whether using the trackpad or the keyboard. Sometimes it loses the position, the video minimises and when you resume it plays an audio file instead of the video!?! Anyone else experiencing this or got a fix?

• Advertisement

Can somebody please tell me if your Chrome browser looks like this?:

The browser on my Revue doesn't have that nice blue-tinted address bar dropdown (mine looks totally different) and apparently uses windows instead of tabs. Ctrl-Tab doesn't work, and I need to use the menu button to change between windows, which is apparently what the old browser on the revue used to do before it updated to Chrome.

The Revue is definitely on 3.1, and the browser is called Chrome, but it seems like it never really updated. Chrome isn't appearing on the app store when I search either, and I can't update it from My Apps.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Mines the exact same. No tabs. Menu button > windows

antodeco wrote: »

Very strange. I wonder if the full Chrome update is US-only.

antodeco wrote: »
    Same here also. CTRL-T does open a new browser window, but CTRL-Tab does not cycle tabs/windows, need to use 'Menu' button.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭emo72

Lads, I'm not happy with the picture quality. I have a fair amount of "judder" when viewing my sky hd box. Say you are looking at sky news and the scroll bar at the bottom with the news, well it isn't smooth scrolling. Stuttery or juddery, not massively but enough to put you off. I suspect a Hz or pal ntsc conflict. Anyone experiencing this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 philipjmurphy

talla wrote: »
    edited for brevity- I'm feeding the UPC HD box through the revue, had no problems selecting my model number ... I press guide on the keyboard and the UPC guide is displayed or DVR on the keyboard and I'm brought through to my recordings etc. Only thing connecting the two devices - UPC box and Revue is the HDMI cable

After you select the TV Source, I assume that you are selecting "Add set-top box manually". What options do you select now? I have a new UPC HD box. I can't figure out which one to choose.

Thanks,

Philip

After you select the TV Source, I assume that you are selecting "Add set-top box manually". What options do you select now? I have a new UPC HD box. I can't figure out which one to choose.

Thanks,

Philip

My UPC HD box is a Cisco. The model number is on the back. It asks you for this later on.

If it asks you to choose a provider I don't think it matters which one you choose.

Sappy404 wrote: »
    My UPC HD box is a Cisco. The model number is on the back. It asks you for this later on.

If it asks you to choose a provider I don't think it matters which one you choose.

Hi, thanks a mil. A bit of stupidity on my behalf. I was looking at the back, but never thought of flipping the Cisco box upside down, to look at the underside. Yes, the post code doesn't matter as there is no setting for Ireland (00000 will do for this).

Just a note to other chaps that are looking at controlling their UPC box via their GTV. By interconnecting these two devices allows you to do all the things that you can do with the standard UPC remote but through your GTV keyboard. Just note that when you press Guide, you are presented with the standard UPC guide - not a Google optimized version (which I thought might have been the case).

However, I must say that I'm very impressed. I got mine from Amazon (refurbished model) and it's perfect.

RTE Player XL is great (well for my wife at least so that she can catch up on desperate housewives :) )

Net Flix works well, although the content is not as recent as I'd like it to be.
    The following tv optimized web sites are cool:

www.youtube.com/leanback
    tv.tunein.com
    redux.com/tv

(for developers - need to compile to get remote)
    http://code.google.com/p/google-tv-remote/

Thanks for the help.

Philip

Hi, thanks a mil. A bit of stupidity on my behalf. I was looking at the back, but never thought of flipping the Cisco box upside down, to look at the underside. Yes, the post code doesn't matter as there is no setting for Ireland (00000 will do for this).

Just a note to other chaps that are looking at controlling their UPC box via their GTV. By interconnecting these two devices allows you to do all the things that you can do with the standard UPC remote but through your GTV keyboard. Just note that when you press Guide, you are presented with the standard UPC guide - not a Google optimized version (which I thought might have been the case).

However, I must say that I'm very impressed. I got mine from Amazon (refurbished model) and it's perfect.

RTE Player XL is great (well for my wife at least so that she can catch up on desperate housewives :) )

Net Flix works well, although the content is not as recent as I'd like it to be.
    The following tv optimized web sites are cool:

www.youtube.com/leanback
    tv.tunein.com
    redux.com/tv

Thanks for the help.

Philip

Do you have the same UPC box? Have you figured out a way to power on the box using the revue keyboard? Unfortunately the UPC/Cisco remote uses the UPC button to turn it on, and a standby button to turn it off, so the keyboard can only do the latter.

Thanks for the help.

Philip
    Hi there,

Thanks for those site recommendations, must try them.

Been using RTE Player XL myself, works well, although having to click on the screen first is a pain (I'm mostly controlling the Revue using a Harmony - another BA purchase!:D), although I have a button mapped on the remote to change to 'mouse' mode.

I've actually downloaded the Google TV android controller app to my cheapo no-brand 7" Android tablet and it works well. However IMHO it cannot replace a proper button remote like the Harmony - don't need to look down to see what I'm doing.
    Was reading about another controller app last night called Able Remote. It's on the Market, just haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Need to install app on both the Revue and android device.

Overall very happy with Revue so far; if (when?) localised TV guide appears it will really be the icing on the cake. I see the Sony blu-ray Google TV got a 3.2 update recently with improvements to Chrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭talla

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Do you have the same UPC box? Have you figured out a way to power on the box using the revue keyboard? Unfortunately the UPC/Cisco remote uses the UPC button to turn it on, and a standby button to turn it off, so the keyboard can only do the latter.

Just press channel up/Down to turn on the UPC box from standby (on the UPC remote or logitech keyboard).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭emo72

Lads dunno about yous, but I've done a bit of research on this and the picture quality is a downgrade on my skyhd box. It's missing frames and the picture is darker. There is a thread on logitech forums about this. Try watch some football anditwill become apparent. Anyone else notice this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Here's a handy tip for anyone wanting to remove unused apps from the Revue.
    Simply press and HOLD the OK button on any app you want to remove, in the All Apps list.
    You'll see an option box pop up to uninstall or hide app.

The default apps like NBA etc can't be removed, but can be hidden, by using the above procedure as well.

http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26681/~/how-do-i-uninstall-an-application-on-logitech-revue-with-google-tv-and-android

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭dodzy

Moon54 wrote: »
    Here's a handy tip for anyone wanting to remove unused apps from the Revue.
    Simply press and HOLD the OK button on any app you want to remove, in the All Apps list.
    You'll see an option box pop up to uninstall or hide app.

The default apps like NBA etc can't be removed, but can be hidden, by using the above procedure as well.

http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26681/~/how-do-i-uninstall-an-application-on-logitech-revue-with-google-tv-and-android

Or if you want to replace one ot the unused icons on the home bar with a more used icon from your apps, for example the settings app, just hold the icon you want to remove from the bar for a few seconds ( with the OK button )and you will have the option to replace it.

Also posted elsewhere, to enable the " tap-to-click feature" on the touchpad, press CTRL+FN+Alt+Ch/pg UP ( Ch/pg DN disables the feature, as does a reboot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

Trying to play RTE Player & I get the message that the following plugin has crashed - Shockwave Flash

Any ideas ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

did anyone manage yet to successfully stream media from your computer via the Revue onto your tv? If so, what software are you using and does it support most codecs?

I spent a good few hours looking into this before trying a couple of different apps but to no success. Alot of the videos i tried to play (differening codecs) just wouldnt work. I dont have the time to invest into it anymore so im hoping someone could give me an option that definitely works.
    I dont have anything to give in return however :)

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭podge3

Tiesto wrote: »
    did anyone manage yet to successfully stream media from your computer via the Revue onto your tv? If so, what software are you using and does it support most codecs?

I spent a good few hours looking into this before trying a couple of different apps but to no success. Alot of the videos i tried to play (differening codecs) just wouldnt work. I dont have the time to invest into it anymore so im hoping someone could give me an option that definitely works.
    I dont have anything to give in return however :)

Cheers
    I don't stream from my PC, but I believe that Plex is a popular choice if you need to.

I use GTV Player for streaming from my Dlink NAS.

Both Logitech Media Server and TVersity stream well to the Revue from my PC. The standard DLNA streamer on my Zyxel NAS also works well.

I also use the GTVBox Video player mentioned above. It supports all formats that the Revue natively supports. I much prefer it to the pre-installed video player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

banchang wrote: »
    Trying to play RTE Player & I get the message that the following plugin has crashed - Shockwave Flash

Any ideas ?

Anyone ?

banchang wrote: »
    Anyone ?
    Cue 'IT Crowd':
    "Have you tried switching it off and on again"?

- seriously, the Revue can seem to get a bit backlogged, so a hardware reset (pull power for 1 minute) should help.
    You can try a soft reset first (Hold down Ctrl + Alt + Delete) to see if it works.

RTE Player XL works fine on mine. Flash on the Chrome browser does have a tendancy to crash from time to time.
    Here's hoping us Revue owners get the Honeycomb 3.2 update that rolled out to Sony Google TV owners last week. I believe it includes a Chrome update + hardware acceleration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

I was trying out the media streaming tonight from my Synology NAS and I couldn't
    get it to work when I was using the Revue wirelessly to connect to the network.

However, when I connected the Revue with a LAN cable it worked fine, strange... but it's working now. :)

fyi, if you install "Chrome to Phone" (just Google for it) on your desktop Chrome Web Browser you can then send links from your Desktop (or your Android Phone if you have the Google Remote installed on the phone - long press link in URL bar, select Share, and then Google TV Remote) to your Google TV - very cool. This works for Video and Web Pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

So what is with the revue LAN port not working after you used the built in WIFI to connect? :confused:

Says its not connected up. Anyone have a fix?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭dunworth1

anyone experience a slow down in loading and streaming of hd
    while using unblock-us dns?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

dunworth1 wrote: »
    anyone experience a slow down in loading and streaming of hd
    while using unblock-us dns?

Nope. I have noticed that every now and then it shows wifi is connected but no traffic. Usually manifests itself when starting new episode/film in Netflix . A trip to YouTube shows connectivity is dead even though wifi icon shows connection.

Advertisement