Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Logitech Revue with Google TV - €117.50 inc of shipping and taxes

Options
  • 29-12-2011 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭podge3

I just ordered one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Revue-Google-TV-Refurbished/dp/B006HFVXSU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1325161101&sr=8-2

Works out at about €117.50 inclusive of shipping and taxes. I was looking at cheapo unnamed Chinese Android TV boxes but this comes in at a similar price with all the advantages of being from a major manufacturer.

Its down as "refurbished" but I reckon its new. Almost all stocks of the Revue are marked like this since the price drop.

I know the Revue has had its problems but it now running on Android 3.1 and most current reviews seem to be positive.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

beware of Duty if its coming from the states

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭podge3

beware of Duty if its coming from the states
    Price is inclusive of duty as estimated by Amazon.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

podge3 wrote: »

Pretty good deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

When does the duty get added on? I've added one to my cart, I'm in UK and right until the end of my online shop it stays at $79.99 in price.

EDIT: sorry, i found it now, works out about £13 extra with the tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭patq16

Was going to get one of these until I was doing some research and came across this.....http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/26/2662553/logitech-revue-google-tv-corrupted-firmware
    Jury still out now????. How does it compare with an apple tv box or android box. Boxee looks the best option, but a bit too expensive for me!!!!:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

good call - great unit
    I got it a couple of months ago in expectation of the 3.1 upgrade...
    Item(s) Subtotal: $99.99
    Shipping & Handling: $44.94
    Total Before Tax: $144.93
    Sales Tax: $0.00
    Import Fees Deposit $30.44

its a great DLNA media player and some good games and apps available from the marketplace...( no angry birds yet)...
    check out http://www.logitech.com/en-us/smartTV/revue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Keith186

Are there any decent torrent clients available for this machine?

I presume it will play files of a connected external hd no problem too so might be a nice gadget to get...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Are the likes of BBC iplayer still IP restricted on this? What sort of general TV content is available?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭dunworth1

took the plunge and bought this

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭patq16

Bought one aswell.......Hopefully no problems updating.....

• Advertisement

My thoughts on the Logitech Revue.....

As previously mentioned, I was looking at various cheapo Chinese Android boxes to connect to my HD TV. I almost bought this: http://www.maplin.co.uk/smart-tv-entertainment-box-powered-by-android-586939

Most of these non-branded units have almost no manufacturer support and any improvements in terms of firmware etc are down to the extended "geek" community with all the inherent problems associated with using non-official updates e.g. bricking etc.

For very similar money, with the Revue you are (hopefully) getting a very well made unit from an established company/manufacturer, who will provide support in the short term at least. A full size keyboard is also a big plus IMHO.

The latest 3.1 update seems to have greatly improved the functionality of this system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

bmaxi wrote: »
    Are the likes of BBC iplayer still IP restricted on this? What sort of general TV content is available?

Asssume not much? However, interested in this as my 2-y-old Phillips internet tv doesn't do very much.....what does android give us?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭Notch000

please excuse the ignorance but do you need cable AND wifi to run this ?? or just wifi

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Notch000 wrote: »
    please excuse the ignorance but do you need cable AND wifi to run this ?? or just wifi

WIFI at a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Really? How does Amazon USA know what duties Irish customs will apply?

Also, Amazon have no right to include these duties as they are only applied at the point of entry into the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭baldshin

Will this definitely play movie and music files from an external hard drive?

Fungus wrote: »

Also, Amazon have no right to include these duties as they are only applied at the point of entry into the country.

i would assume that the duty is calculated by the value of the item.

I assume that Amazon have some deal done with DHL or whoever the courier is.

DHL collect customs fees anyway on behalf of Revenue so I don't see how this is any different. In fact, it looks to be a little cheaper than the postal service as An Post charge €6.50 for collecting the fees.

Specs for the Revue here: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/smartTV/revue

baldshin wrote: »
    Will this definitely play movie and music files from an external hard drive?

as far as i can make out yes it will.

it supports up to 2tb hdds

WIFI at a minimum.

Surely cable as a minimum?

• Advertisement

Assume Flash works, so ok for RTE and TV3 players?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Keith186

dunworth1 wrote: »
    as far as i can make out yes it will.

it supports up to 2tb hdds

I was looking at the specs on the site there.

The Logitech Media Server makes it easy:

Download and install this server software onto your computer
    Access your media (from your home network or a USB thumb drive)
    Index your files for quick retrieval

I'm not so sure but Fungus has one, maybe he can confirm?

If it can't do torrents either then I think I'll pass on this deal.

Keith186 wrote: »
    I was looking at the specs on the site there.

I'm not so sure but Fungus has one, maybe he can confirm?

If it can't do torrents either then I think I'll pass on this deal.

i read it on logitech forums.

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Revue/Can-I-use-External-Harddrive-Not-Flashdrive/td-p/511960

My Revue just shipped :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    Surely cable as a minimum?

I'm not at home where I can Google stuff, is it actually necessary to have cable? I thought it would handle Satellite and Internet TV.
    Anybody out there with an idea of what you could reasonably expect to get with Broadband and Satellite?

bmaxi wrote: »
    I'm not at home where I can Google stuff, is it actually necessary to have cable? I thought it would handle Satellite and Internet TV.
    Anybody out there with an idea of what you could reasonably expect to get with Broadband and Satellite?

Sorry I meant A CABLE for internet rather than cable tv....

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Bought one, and it's shipped. Just checked out the requirements again there. It says that your "cable box" needs to have a HDMI out. That doesn't make sense. Surely your tv needs a HDMI in and you just plug the revue directly into the TV?

antodeco wrote: »
    Bought one, and it's shipped. Just checked out the requirements again there. It says that your "cable box" needs to have a HDMI out. That doesn't make sense. Surely your tv needs a HDMI in and you just plug the revue directly into the TV?
    My understanding is that you can plug a HD TV source (cable/satellite box) into the Revue and that Tv can then be selected from the various sources on the Revue i.e. internet, NAS, TV etc.

Not really a big deal if your TV box does not have a HDMI output - just select your TV input as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭validis_

Hey guys, I have three google Revues, if you have any questions I was using them in USA, and brought some home as presents for Xmas.
    Important points:
    RTE player, and flash work.
    Plex for google tv works with some limitations.
    I have tested it in Ireland with the Ariva 120 Saorview / freeview box and it works
    great.
    Basically the box works on its own, but if you want it to overlay info over live tv then you need a box that has a hdmi output, that goes into the google tv, and the google tv then outputs to the tv.
    BBC iplayer does not work (same restrictions as if you use a pc.)
    Any online streaming sites that work using normal flash still work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

What are the limitations with Plex, that would be my main reason for getting one...

Advertisement