Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 - 1000 mile challenge - How far have you run since Jan 1st?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

There was a formula on the running streak page, which I just noticed and removed. It looked at the date entered as 'start of streak', calculated the days since then and entered that as the number of days in the running streak. Which sounds fine, but it assumes that your running streak is continuing unless you specifically go in to say it has stopped. Which is not how things usually work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 CloseToTheEdge

Must hold my hand up in some respect, I put the formula in my own row to save me updating both the days and the distance every day. Of course it must have been spotted and someone copied it across many people.

What about putting in the following into the distance column

=vlookup("CloseToTheEdge",'Enter distance here'!A2:E300,5,False)

it would copy my miles from the other sheet.

a generic one would be

=vlookup(A10,'Enter distance here'!A2:E19,5,False)

I'll let you decide RayCun.

Same problem there - it will keep updating your 'running streak miles' value even after your running streak has stopped. When you start a new streak you'll be starting again from zero, but the formula can't handle that.

Thats true, it works currently but I would have to subtract the previous streak distances from the formula if I started a new streak.

Anyway just back from my 8 mile lunch time run, must update the distance and streak pages while I'm logged on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

See, this way of doing the 1000 mile challenge is educational as well with people thinking up al these weird calculations. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

What about putting in the following into the distance column

=vlookup("CloseToTheEdge",'Enter distance here'!A2:E300,5,False)

it would copy my miles from the other sheet.

a generic one would be

=vlookup(A10,'Enter distance here'!A2:E19,5,False)

I'll let you decide RayCun.

why can't you do it for your own one if you want like =''Enter distance here'!A2 if you want ?

rom wrote: »
    why can't you do it for your own one if you want like =''Enter distance here'!A2 if you want ?

That still assumes that the streak is unbroken, and started on Jan 1.

RayCun wrote: »
    That still assumes that the streak is unbroken, and started on Jan 1.
    I agree. Just giving the better formula even though its flawed in concept but if a person was to maintain their own one each then it would be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

My estimated completion date is creeping ever closer. Hoping I can get it into 2013 by the end of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

hardCopy wrote: »
    My estimated completion date is creeping ever closer. Hoping I can get it into 2013 by the end of the week.

Done, thanks to 5 runs last week including a 20K long run I am now comfortably inside 2013 for 1000 miles!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭OldBloke

My estimated completion date creeps ever further - thanks to a slight tear in my calf I must rest a while longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

My aim for this week is to get my completion date into 2013 too :D Its feb 2014 at the moment!

Someone broke positions.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

rom wrote: »
    Someone broke positions.

It looks worse than it is. It's just an error caused when a line in one of the other sheets gets deleted and Google has a bit of a fit and throws in that duff #ref stuff.

I tried to fix it just now but Google is insisting on talking to me in Greek at the moment so I'm not sure what the message it just spat out at me was. Any idea how to force what language of Google you get so that you don't get the "local" one due to Google thinking it knows better than me?

Edit: Found it, copy and paste of some formulas obviously doesn't quite work right when you are using the ελληνικά version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Some missing again? Can't see myself, Madon or Meathcountysec there now. I'd assume more than us gone? must get myself onto the locked sheet:rolleyes:

Now I have to do some counting... can't remember if I was just under or just over 190:(

littlebug wrote: »
    Now I have to do some counting... can't remember if I was just under or just over 190:(

There's a 195 there with no name attached?
    But yeah, go on to the locked sheet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Not me at 195 so there's obviously someone else gone. I've put myself back in at 189 thanks to Madon remembering my mileage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I have been removed too :*(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

I'm gone too - must set up a gmail account !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Not going to bother adding myself back in, if someone is getting their kicks ruining it, will track on my log.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Top 6, and random others gone from the list now..
    How do I get access to the locked sheet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Top 6, and random others gone from the list now..
    How do I get access to the locked sheet?

Sign in using a google account and drop Robinph a PM with your google name to get access!1

I grabbed my opportunity to access the locked sheet and go top of the league for the first time. Woohoo!!

in case anyone's lost info, a few hours ago the top places were
    ray_lanigan M35 950 950.00
    T-Runner M35 1389 863.09
    opus M40 1118.5 695.01
    Krusty_Clown M40 688.45 688.45
    TFBubendorfer M40 680 680.00
    menoscemo M 640 640.00
    ultrapercy M35 634.13 634.13
    jeffontour M35 1004.76 624.33

I've reverted to just before that deletion. Also a couple more people added to access the locked sheet including Krusty.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Thanks. I deleted my original entry from the list, so caused one of those referential errors.

^and fixed your #REF things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

I was one of the random people deleted :mad:.

Have my distances saved on my phone though so added myself back in so no harm done :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

Thanks. I deleted my original entry from the list, so caused one of those referential errors.
    Ahem, I think I might have sort of maybe done the same thing when I removed my row from the sheet, on the locked sheet now.:o:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭coach22

Just back from the bundoran 10 mile run. beat my time by 2 minutes 20 on last year so delighted with that. it took me 1:08:10. Still along way off completing a 1000 miles this year though!

Advertisement