Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BHAA 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

I think I'll do this tonight.

what's the best way to get to the starting area? I'll probably have to grab a luas to monument / heuston and then get from there. Is it far away from that area?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

cloneslad wrote: »
    I think I'll do this tonight.

what's the best way to get to the starting area? I'll probably have to grab a luas to monument / heuston and then get from there. Is it far away from that area?

About a mile from Heuston to the clubhouse for registration, probably less.

is it just straight up the main road? we play tag rugby at the monument there, so I know how to get to the monument, would I just keep going on up past that?

I think I've previously run past the defence forces place and the gardaí station, when I would have run from fairview to the gates of phoenix park, near ashtown. But I haven't got a clue where that is, if I was to grab the luas to the heuston side.

Thanks for your help, I have no sense of direction, I usually just get lost instead, of asking for directions.

I haven't done this race myself, but the poster on bhaa.ie says registration is in the Defence Forces GAA Clubhouse, directly across the main road from the zoo entrance (Army Road)
    So from Heuston you cross the river, go in the main entrance of the park, and up the main road. You should spot it on the left. If you get to the Phoenix monument you've gone too far...

Thanks Raycun

I'll pop out to it later and see how lost I get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭AJCOT

We'll have signs up opposite the zoo entrance, you can't miss us!

Three minutes slower than my last 5k race just over a week ago. Not sure if it was running off road or not being allowed to wear headphones.

Well organise race though, the mountain of sandwiches and brack can't be argued with

Lovely evening and a great race - running trails makes for a nice change of scenery amidst all the road races.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Tough race. Way off where I'd hoped to be time wise but so was everyone I know. I beat people who beat me in the beach race a month or do ago though so I'll take that as a sign of improvement. I think I went out a bit too fast too.

Well organised, efficient sign on, good marshalling and plenty of sambos and brack! Many thanks BHAA in another good value race.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 CS_Runner

Great evenings racing tonight, Thanks to Bernard, BHAA and all the volunteers, Plenty of Tea and Brack at the afters, Great to have a legend Gerry Curtis speaking about his career, Tough conditions with the heat, faster time than last years race, Also I loved the course layout this year, Well done!!

• Advertisement

A huge well done to the mighty Quinn, Bernard, all from the Irish Prison Service & the BHAA for a great race in a balmy Phoenix Park last night. This is a wonderful course with tree roots, low lying branches & a memorable dip while the humid conditions added to the challenge. The top three were Noel Carroll, Stephen Moore & Patrick Malone. Irene Gorman, Niamh Fitzgerald & Niamh Boland were the first women home. Great words after from the inspirational Gerry Curtis. Thanks for helping to clear the brack mountain, the names of the top three in this competition will be published later, after 17 slices I'm hopeful of a high placing myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Sagitt

Race was excellent prepared, brack - as usually, a whole mountain of if, thanks to BHAA and all volunteers for the effort
    Did anybody captured on GPS what was the actual lenght of the trail as they mentioned something just on the start line that trail is a 'bit longer'?.
    I was doing Dunshaughlin 10k last Saturday and my halftime on 10k was way better then my results from yesterday. Just wondering whether I didn't recover, tough course, or distance bit longer?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 CS_Runner

That's a very tough course on a normal day but with the soft ground here and there the dip and the weather you are probably not going to get near your time on the road, In the K Club I was a minute faster at 5k than my finish time last night.

Sagitt wrote: »
    Did anybody captured on GPS what was the actual lenght of the trail as they mentioned something just on the start line that trail is a 'bit longer'?.
    I was doing Dunshaughlin 10k last Saturday and my halftime on 10k was way better then my results from yesterday. Just wondering whether I didn't recover, tough course, or distance bit longer?

I got 5.04 km for the course, which is inside the margin of error but might be a bit long.
    I was slower last night too, and I think it was a combination of all three factors.

That's fair comments, thanks very much, I really enjoyed last night, I beat guy who beat me on Trinity twice by metres so I'm happy anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Yep, my time was a chunk slower than id expected too. The humidity deffo knocked me a bit. And as the others said, the soft underfoot, ducking under branches, skipping over roots and that unexpected hill!

It was a great course all the same, a nice little break from the traditional Summer roads! Well done to the BHAA and the Irish prison service for a well organised race. Will deffo be back for this next year :rolleyes:

Think I had 5.06 on mine.

Best of luck to all members running & stewarding at the Irish Runner 5 miler in the Phoenix Park tomorrow. Hope you all enjoy it & run PBs. It will be very humid tomorrow, and a grand occassion to sport your BHAA embossed, high visibility Trinity track tops so those stewarding can give you a bigger roar to help you on your way.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

Sagitt wrote: »
    Did anybody captured on GPS what was the actual lenght of the trail as they mentioned something just on the start line that trail is a 'bit longer'?

I got 5.08 KM.

HI All,

1. Does anybody know what happened to league points and stadards being given as BHAA didn't updated since Trinity?
    2. Does BHAA give points for Trinity race as someone said to me thet distances are too short thus standards don't match reallity? I have std 13 but on 1k I've done std 5, on 2.5 i've done std 9.
    3. It looks like some glitch on the BHAA league table as 'tri' race column is there 13 times.

Sagitt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

Hey Sagitt,

League points will be updated for trinity this week. We'd a couple of oddities which have been fixed so we can assign the points. As per the discussion at the AGM the automatic standard system will not apply to track races, but individual standard changed might still apply if we think people are way out. The 13 tri races in the league will also be fixed up once the summary race is added.

The Dublin City Council 5k in Irishtown Stadium/Ringsend Park is on Wednesday July 11th at 19.30. It's a combined race that starts & finishes on the track with two laps of the adjoining park in the middle. Last year 275 ran with Paul Fleming, Paul Duffy & Kevin Mulligan the top three men home while Deirdre McDermott, Edel Madigan & Stephanie Bergin were the first three women. The post-race quiz with a plethora of prizes is always good fun.

The weather forecast for the race on Wednesday is for a bright, fresh day with sunny spells & passing showers, get the sunscreen & brolly in the boot & head to Irishtown for a great evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Great race yesterday evening, thanks to all involved in the organisation. Nice cooling shower (hailstones :eek:) towards the end too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

My first BHAA race and I really enoyed it, in spite of the weather in the last 2K and the lack of PB for me;)
    Thanks so much to all the volunteers who were still smiling whilst being hit by golf-ball-size hailstones.

I brought my sons along for support and we all really enjoyed the yummy food and the quiz after and I was thrilled to place in my category.

looking forward to the next race:)

Get to the track in Irishtown on Wednesday 25th for an evening of 1,500s in the first BHAA race sponsored by BNY Mellon. Races start at seven & proceeds go to support Marymount Hospice(St.Patricks's Hospital). This is a classic distance just short of four laps & your standard will not move down even if you break the world record of 3.26!

(in before AJ :eek: :pac:)

The start times for Wednesday's 1500m races are

Standard|Start Time
    Open BNY Mellon race (8 minutes plus)|7:00pm
    BHAA members Standards 18 – 30|7:10pm
    Open Sub 8 minute|7:20pm
    BHAA members Standards 13 – 17|7:30pm
    Open Sub 7 minute|7:38pm
    BHAA members Standards 10 – 12|7:46pm
    BHAA members Standards 7 – 9|8:00pm
    Open Sub 6 minutes|8:08pm
    BHAA members Standards 1 – 6|8:16pm

Entry on the evening is 10 euro for all runners with all proceeds going to the St Patricks Hospital, Marymount Hospice.

An early bird mug has already made it to Irishtown for the BNY Mellon 1,500m race on Wednesday from 7, those in vehicles with BHAA window stickers may end up with one too!

Plus a big thanks to Ray-always far too fast for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Hi,

Apologies if I should be posting this somewhere else but it looks ike the best place to get the answers I need.

Having taken up running just a couple of short years ago, I like it so much i've even gone so far as to set up a running club at work. It's been hard work in the beginning but we've had a couple of attendances at BHAA events this year and had a group out at the Liberties run recently so it is beginning to gain some momentum.

The goal is to get people out running of all standards and hopefully encourage many to compete in BHAA events and make it into a social thing with a competitive twist for the more advanced runners in the group. Hoping to get a lot more out next year or even when Cross Country starts later in year.

Anyway..Want to get some Technical T-Shirts and/or running vests customised to shown our company name and logo. I've done some groundwork and searched boards on gear thread without much real success. I've looked at samples for owayo(too expensive) and enquired with Azzurri (seem disinterested in small order).

So if you can recommend someone who supplies these at a reasonable price that would be brilliant or had any contact names. I'd just be looking for a few to start out with and preference would be for Irish supplier if at all possible. It would be good to have our company a bit less anonymous at future BHAA events

Plus If you have any tips in setting up a new club in the workplace, would appreciate anything you can throw at me. And who knows we may even host an event in the future when we are more established.:)

Thanks for advance

• Advertisement

The Teachers XC is down for the 13th October in Castleknock (in the calendar posted to the beginning of this thread)
    The Dublin athletics XC fixtures have just been released, and the Dublin Novices are on the 14th of October, so the Teachers race is pretty much ruled out for anyone doing the Novices (or vice versa).
    Any chance that the Teachers date can be changed?

Advertisement