Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BHAA 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Great race, a PB for 5 miles, a lovely slice of brack afterwards and Marty Morrissey said hello to me.

What more could i want ?

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭AJCOT

Yahoo for Niall Mathews & all in RTE plus the BHAA for organising some sunshine & another great race. Understandably, this event has won the "Race of the Year" more than any other. 410 ran & ate there way through the food mountain after. Special mention for the newly crowned BHAA person of the year, the fantastic Nuala Reilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Racman

SnailsPace wrote: »
    If i sign up using the Irish Life name, how will me being 10mins slower than my workmates affect the company position / ratings. Should I just sign up as an individual?
    RayCun wrote: »
    Team ratings are usually based on the fastest 3/4, not an average of all runners in the team, so you shouldn't hurt your team by running. On the contrary, if there aren't many other runners from Irish Life you could be the one who makes up a full team, and eligible for a team prize.
    SnailsPace wrote: »
    All I can say is WOW. Amazing Value - how they break even i do not know

If you sign up as a member (only €15 for the year), you can enter BHAA races for €10.

As a member, you are eligible for team prizes (from your second race). There are twelve separate team prizes for men and today there were three women's team prizes. Three to count in the team categories although there can be more in the panel. That means that 45 runners took home team prizes. Non-members pay more but don't qualify for these prizes. Incidentally, it is worth your while putting together a team if you can - even if not may people run in your organisation, it is possible to assemble a composite team from organisations within the same line of activity, e.g. IT, retail, construction etc. You will be surprised sometimes to win a prize. Today a team in one of the categories won a prize where the third scorer was a runner in the over 80 category. The standard prize fund at any BHAA race is over €1,000.

And how do they break even? Everything is voluntary. No-one involved gets paid and any surplus goes back into improving the events. This year a large amount was spent on chip timing and this is now working out very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭PainIsTemporary

First time running RTE 5 miler. Great race, really positive atmosphere, great support from other runners and spectators out on the course. 1 grievance: the finishing chip time (official result time) is 4-5 seconds slower than the one I recorded for myself. Thought it might have been just me but the other 5 guys who finished in the positions around me had the same complaint. Same for the lead women. One of the guys said he was talking to BHAA official after who said it'd be fixed before the results go up, but unfortunately that didn't happen. Might have been a problem with the finish line mat for picking up chip times, or starting the clock before the start gun. Annoying, but otherwise a great event!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SnailsPace

I clocked mine at 39:58, bhaa say its 40:09. Happy anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 dingonerd

First time running RTE 5 miler. Great race, really positive atmosphere, great support from other runners and spectators out on the course. 1 grievance: the finishing chip time (official result time) is 4-5 seconds slower than the one I recorded for myself. Thought it might have been just me but the other 5 guys who finished in the positions around me had the same complaint. Same for the lead women. One of the guys said he was talking to BHAA official after who said it'd be fixed before the results go up, but unfortunately that didn't happen. Might have been a problem with the finish line mat for picking up chip times, or starting the clock before the start gun. Annoying, but otherwise a great event!

Same happened at the K Club 10k. Official results were out by
    4 secs on all 7 of us from club and a few other lads that i happen to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

AJCOT wrote: »
    Yahoo for Niall Mathews & all in RTE plus the BHAA for organising some sunshine & another great race. Understandably, this event has won the "Race of the Year" more than any other. 410 ran & ate there way through the food mountain after. Special mention for the newly crowned BHAA person of the year, the fantastic Nuala Reilly.

First BHAA event for me at RTE5. Really enjoyed it and three other newbies from my company also were impressed with the organisation and experience. Hopefully the first of many BHAA events now for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

My first BHAA race on Saturday and i really enjoyed. Well organised, and registration was very quick.
    I noticed my time on the site was nearly 9 secs more than i clocked myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

My chip time was 9 seconds slower than my watch and 5 seconds slower than the time on the finsh line clock as I crossed the line.
    Its only a few seconds, but nice to know what I wasn't the only one.

Get to Sandymount beach on Tuesday 22nd at 19.30 for a fantastic 5k race. This ESB sponsored, combined, two lap race is a must on the running calendar. Conditions are generally firm underfoot and it's a really good surface to run on. Last year, 284 people ran with Matt Kane, Paul Gibbons & Paul Cowhie the first trio home. The top ladies were Fiona Mahon, Laura Shaughnessy & Orla Gormley. Race HQ is Clanna Gael Fontenoy GAA Club. Contact Charles Cronin on 01 7027290 or M.Reid on 01 7026671 for further information.:D

• Advertisement

The weather forecast is pretty good for next Tuesday, dry & higher temperatures on the way. Get those Speedos out of the wardrobe. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

bhaa_summer_league_2012.png

Trinity track is on Wednesday the 13th (poster above still says 14th), Coracigh park 10k is cancelled/postponed, and the Dublin half is back in the league...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Should be around for the Dunboyne race. Haven't done a BHAA race in two years :eek: as I've been in college Saturday mornings and Wednesday evenings so a direct clash.
    Looking forward to it, love the BHAA events.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Anyone else racing tonight?

Not sure if I'm looking forward to the sand or not...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jk_Eire

Will be heading down myself tonight.
    I was jogging out on the Sandymount Strand a few weeks ago and it wasn't too bad. Depends how far the tide is out, and how close to the shore the route is. The sand it fairly firm though.

The view, sea air ,and sense of space is great out there when you're running out there during low tide.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

checked the past results and it will be my fifth year running the ESB race this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

Another fantastic evening of running on Sandymount beach in perfect conditions, Thanks to the BHAA, ESB and all the volunteers, plenty of brack afterwards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

For those night owl students of race results here's your fix for the evening

http://bhaa.ie/members/app/event/index/tag/esb2012

Teams to follow tomorrow.

Enjoyed running on the beach last night but it was tough.
    Very little grip on the sand at the start going to next to nothing on the dry sand at about half way. The wet sand had more grip but it was a case fo running through puddles. Definitely more like a XC than a road race but good fun all the same. Loads of tea and brack afterwards too.

Enjoyed running on the beach last night but it was tough.
    Very little grip on the sand at the start going to next to nothing on the dry sand at about half way. The wet sand had more grip but it was a case fo running through puddles. Definitely more like a XC than a road race but good fun all the same. Loads of tea and brack afterwards too.

It is a very different surface to run on, regulars sand larks love it & it's very low impact. It did seem firmer than in previous years last night & you can subtract between 30 & 60 seconds to get a true 5k time.

• Advertisement

A fantastic five miler awaits us in Dunboyne on Tuesday, this Government Services sponsored race is a fast course with huge local support and guranteed good weather. You may have noticed the guy holding the sign aloft for this event at the start line on Sandymount, that's the race organiser & sometime sprinter, Paul Gorey. 439 ran last year with top honours in the mens going to Patrick Cassidy, Eoin Flynn & Luke Forde while the womens first trio were Lucy D'Arcy, Edel Madigan & Stephanie Bergin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Could anyone advise if the entry procedure for the Dublin Half is different if you're a BHAA member or should I just register online in the usual way ?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Enter the normal way, and there's a field for your BHAA membership number

Top tips for next week : (1) Buy sunscreen (2) Clean the barbecue (3) Run a PB in the Dunboyne 5!:)

There is a water station after 2 miles tomorrow evening in Dunboyne.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 NinjaStudent

Anyone know how to register as a team for tonight's race.

We have a team of 3 from our company for his first time, we're all bhaa members already, im just wondering do we have to outline that we intend to run as a team or does it appear automatically?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

That was a great race, really enjoyed it. First time doing 5 miles in 32:something so very happy. Even if it was close!

Will sleep well tonight.

Anyone know how to register as a team for tonight's race.

We have a team of 3 from our company for his first time, we're all bhaa members already, im just wondering do we have to outline that we intend to run as a team or does it appear automatically?

As long as you are all registered under the same company name you'll automatically be a team so long as 3 or more take part. If you search for the company on the BHAA website are you all in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

Great nights running, Thanks to Paul, Eamon, BHAA & and all the volunteers, Plenty of grub at the afters, Last 2 miles were a killer, still got a PB by 50 seconds :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SnailsPace

JosDel wrote: »
    Great nights running, Thanks to Paul, Eamon, BHAA & and all the volunteers, Plenty of grub at the afters, Last 2 miles were a killer, still got a PB by 50 seconds :)

When do the results normally get posted?

Advertisement