Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The worst kid's name you've ever heard?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Just seen on fb.

Aubrey

Proud mommy of 5
    Gerawrd
    Kenadi
    Paislynn
    Crystofer
    Brinleigh

Ahhhh how sweet. She used the Scrabble bag to spell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Rx713B

Scott......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Lesalare wrote: »
    As far as I know "Rebekah" is the biblical Hebrew name for Rebecca.
    Well, the Hebrew name is רִבְקָה :)
    Both 'Rebecca' and 'Rebekah' are long-established English language versions of it.
    I just came across Rebekka.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Ahhhh how sweet. She used the Scrabble bag to spell them.

Dyslexia??

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I just came across Rebekka.

Lucky you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Came across a new baby girl called Saylor Belle. With a pretty common last name.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,012 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

So as you know, I read those cheapo British magazines that are the equivalent of tabloids.
    There was a debate this week actually about if it is appropriate to name your child an unusual name.
    One mother said it was absolutely OK and her daughter was named.. Wait for it...
    Pepper-Mae :D
    Seemingly inspired by a character in Incredible Hulk.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

So as you know, I read those cheapo British magazines that are the equivalent of tabloids.
    There was a debate this week actually about if it is appropriate to name your child an unusual name.
    One mother said it was absolutely OK and her daughter was named.. Wait for it...
    Pepper-Mae :D
    Seemingly inspired by a character in Incredible Hulk.

I hope she enjoys going through life being called pepperami.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭NeinNeinNein

Huntingly, sounds like a railway station.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

I heard an absolute clanger yesterday but if I say it the person whose child it is might read it. Then they will know its me and that I'm slagging off their child's name. I am 100 per cent sure nobody else has that name.

Which got me thinking, what are the rules around naming children? Can some names be prohibited in law? Ideally most of the names in this thread.

Where I'm from, names are in the calendar. Basically every day has one or two names assigned to it. When the day comes with your name, it's your name day and it like a little version of your birthday, you sometimes get little presents and everyone is wishing you happy name day and all.

Anyway, if parents want to give a child a name that it not in the calendar, they have to apply to it to a special office and they will either approve it or reject it. They look at lots of factors, like cultural origins of that name, they consider how it would affect the child's life and all. They rejected a few over the years, but mostly it's just a formality and it gets approved.

They will automatically reject any name that you can't prove that already exists, so if you just happen to make a name up, tough luck.

I just had a look online for some rejected names, the ones I found were Analia, Investment and Ferrari.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DaeryssaOne

That's really interesting, can I ask what country that is?
    Does it also mean if there are only 1 or 2 names per day that there's only about 700 names between both boys and girls to choose from? That's really not a lot, there must be an insane amount of people with the same name?

That's really interesting, can I ask what country that is?
    Does it also mean if there are only 1 or 2 names per day that there's only about 700 names between both boys and girls to choose from? That's really not a lot, there must be an insane amount of people with the same name?

Czech Republic. I know it doesn't sound like a lot (especially if you consider that about a third of them are weird old names nobody gives to their kids anymore), but it works.

Like there would be the popular names and if your name is one of the Top 10, you're screwed. I remember that in my class in school (24 kids), we had 2 Christinas, 3 Martins and 3 Alenas.

These would be the names that are on your ID and birth cert and all, but we give each other sort of a pet name, not sure how I would explain it.

For example, lets take Alena, you can call her Ali, Alca, Alenka. My brother is Frantisek, people generally call him Fanda. It's nicely explained here:
    Often the names Czechs use amongst themselves don’t correspond to their official names. The reason is that, as many of you know, most Czechs use diminutives. Jan is Honza, Josef is Pepa, Helena is Helča and Eva is, well, Eva. Okay it works most of the time.

However, the capacity for Czechs to develop diminutives goes beyond this. Honza was probably Honzík as a boy, and his best friend may have been known as Pepík. Perhaps, they sat next to Helenka and had a crush on Evička. So, as you can see there is another level of diminutives for children.

This is not say that you can’t use the ‘childish’ diminutives with adults, but contexts matters. The childish forms sound more affectionate, and are only really acceptable between partners and children and grandparents and grandchildren, and really only at home. In some cases, they are used among female friends and colleagues. Male friends usually won’t use them at all, especially not with another male friend. Even if you hear your workmate Tomᚒs mum call him Tomík, you probably shouldn’t.

Some names produce a range of diminutives. Take the name Kateřina. I’m sure you all know one. She can be Katka, Káťa, Káča, Kateřinka and Kačenka. (I’m sure I’ve forgotten some.) The first forms are the less ‘affectionate’. The last two are more affectionate.

You can see the list of names and their name days here. It's fun to see if there's a Czech version of your name and what day your name day would fall on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

That's done in Poland as well, my Polish colleagues celebrate their "name days" more than their birthdays!

That's done in Poland as well, my Polish colleagues celebrate their "name days" more than their birthdays!

True! It's a slavic thing as far as I'm aware. I could be wrong but I think that most (if not all) Slavic countries do name days.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,936 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Heard of it happening in Spain too.

We used to do it the other way around here, a lot of people (including myself) were named after a saint whose feast day is on or near their birthday.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

but I thought usually there is a religious calendar (e.g. the ones included are saint names in a catholic, orthodox or protestant calendar)
    - defo not slavic; i'd rather check if its christian mostly - or if other religions have this too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

Brothers Waylon and Lawless I saw on a Facebook video today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject

In my daughter's school yard.a young mother was screaming the name Hazalee.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Maglight

Jenny Taylor

You have to say it out loud a few times. Imagine the name being called out over a tannoy system. Similar vein to Mike Hunt

My friends boyfriend a gay couple his name is Florence what the ****

• Advertisement

Had the pleasure of seeing little Eevee Mae today 😭

• Registered Users Posts: 33,936 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Brothers Waylon and Lawless I saw on a Facebook video today

Hopefully their surname is either Jennings or Lawless.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Saw a makeup artist on Instagram called Anna Lingis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Saw a makeup artist on Instagram called Anna Lingis.

Know her, sister of Connie

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

My friends boyfriend a gay couple his name is Florence what the ****
    Strangely enough, 'Florence' (or 'Florry') was long used as a man's name in Munster - an anglicisation of the Irish name 'Finghin'.
    It was particularly common amongst the McCarthys.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Three brothers, Jackson, Jeffeson and Maddix , I kid you not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Madison. Screamed by a tattooed Cork Norrie woman at a little girl in a Dealz.

A cute name but butchered in that accent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Proud Mommy of

Thunder
    Rosaysha
    Truckson
    Labeigha

Is the last one pronounced Labia? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Proud Mommy of

Thunder
    Rosaysha
    Truckson
    Labeigha

Is the last one pronounced Labia? :eek:

Is she minor or senior

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Just saw on Facebook, brothers Fisher Andrew and Costa Arrow.

Whut?!

Advertisement