Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The worst kid's name you've ever heard?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Kid on the train to Southend the other day called Promise...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

The parents probably thought it was pretentious and didn't know it was the Australian badge for Opel cars.

Could be called after Holden Caulfield from The Catcher in the Rye.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Logan, not quite sure what to make of it.

Like it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

razorblunt wrote: »
    What's the Irish for "untwist your knickers"?

You know what I meant ... if someone called Deborah went to a Gaelscoil would she be called Gobnait?

Pog mo thon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Digs wrote: »
    My daughter is in a Gaelscoil and they translate their surnames but not first names.
    SusieBlue wrote: »
    They do. At least in the one I went to. Off the top of my head, in my class, there was a Sarah, Claire, Tom and Joey who were Sorcha, Clár, Tomás and Seosamh while at school.
    Addressing them by their actual names wasn't allowed. Irish versions only.

I think that is what they were implying!
    Pog mo thon.
    Is that the Scots Gaelic version? They drop the fadas don't they? The amadáns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

razorblunt wrote: »
    I think that is what they were implying!

My point differs though! In my daughters school a Deborah wouldn’t be forced to be a Gobnait, a Claire wouldn’t be Clár, Sarah wouldn’t be Sorcha. Anyone with an English name stays the same. It’s just their surnames they change to Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

just turned on the tv. british touring cars is on. the guy on pole is called JACK GOFF. . why would you call him jack. did they not listen to his name a few times before deciding on it

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

At the Zoo yesterday, a salt of the earth chisler with a fine “Dubalin” accent on him named......Atlas.

He’ll go places! Sorry, I couldn’t resist.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

I work with a Lancelot, seriously! Nice lad!!!

On the knight shift by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

At the Zoo yesterday, a salt of the earth chisler with a fine “Dubalin” accent on him named......Atlas.

That's quite a heavy burden to carry...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

I'd say he's got the world on his shoulders

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Nemo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Digs wrote: »
    My daughter is in a Gaelscoil and they translate their surnames but not first names.

When I was in school in 2nd class the teacher decided the Irish name I was stuck with my entire time in school. For some reason he didn't translate the anglo-irish first name and add Mc to my surname and then spelt it wrong in the same way people mispronounce it a lot.

A teacher in secondary school an Irish teacher insisted on using my anglo-irish name in the Irish form while using the bastardisation of my surname. I just never acknowledged he was talking to me if he didn't use my actual name which doesn't change in any other language but we are meant to have a magic rule for it. Teachers are not smart people they just have knowledge before you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

I know a pepper, seriously. And it's a girl!! Irish through and through. How the fook did that happen ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Saw a kids name today at work.

Michilin

I know it's spelled differently but it just reminded me of the Michelin man.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,010 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I know a pepper, seriously. And it's a girl!! Irish through and through. How the fook did that happen ?

A green Pepper?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭noveltea

Sylvester. Born in July. Lives in Cork. All I think is Stalone or else a cat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Judge Judy never fails to provide:

Girls:
    T'Quandah
    Empress-Aretha
    Promise

Boys:
    D'Tanyan (going for D'Artagnan possibly but too think ??)
    Jeeohvarny
    Prince and King - twin brothers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭Thomas_IV

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Ah now surely Irish schools wouldn't forcibly impose a 'translated' version of her name on a child?

They do. At least in the one I went to. Off the top of my head, in my class, there was a Sarah, Claire, Tom and Joey who were Sorcha, Clár, Tomás and Seosamh while at school.
    Addressing them by their actual names wasn't allowed. Irish versions only.

Has that version entered the School certificate as well? I wonder whether that was the norm too.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭js35

Her Parents must of been fans of the kids film Annie :pac: :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Liamalone wrote: »
    Nemo

Can't wait to hear his parents when he gets lost in a shopping center!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acai berry

My surname is a British-sounding name, but I was given two completely different "translations" of it going through school. Ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Kobe is here with his Ma in McDonald's. He's a little McBollocks surprisingly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Judge Judy never fails to provide:

Girls:
    T'Quandah
    Empress-Aretha
    Promise

Boys:
    D'Tanyan (going for D'Artagnan possibly but too think ??)
    Jeeohvarny
    Prince and King - twin brothers!

That’s what the travellers called Trapattoni.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

J'Nea

Pronounced Jenny

J'Nea

Pronounced Jenny

You know the one that you never ever ever ever EVER want to hear ? BEcuase you get the name, and the explanation ???

LUAS from Heuston this morning:

"What did you call her ?"
    "Nevaeh"
    "Ah that's only lovely"
    "It's heaven spelled backwards".

i was willing a crash. For me!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

You know the one that you never ever ever ever EVER want to hear ? BEcuase you get the name, and the explanation ???

LUAS from Heuston this morning:

"What did you call her ?"
    "Nevaeh"
    "Ah that's only lovely"

i was willing a crash. For me!

There’s a lad in the place I used to work, a real gent, always cordial but what does he have tattooed in gothic script down the inside of his forearm but Neveah. I presume it’s his daughters name, I don’t want to judge him but...

There’s a lad in the place I used to work, a real gent, always cordial but what does he have tattooed in gothic script down the inside of his forearm but Neveah. I presume it’s his daughters name, I don’t want to judge him but...

No it's okay for that! Jesus said!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,189 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Must be a satanist so :cool:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭beans

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Advertisement