Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The worst kid's name you've ever heard?

Options

Comments

razorblunt wrote: »
    Gobnait.

It's Irish for Deborah isn't it?

No, it's not. Every Irish name doesn't have to be "Irish for [insert English name]" just because the coloniser imposed their name of an old Irish name during anglicisation. That's an ineffably depressingly anglocentric/colonised way to look at Ireland in 2018. In fact, very, very few Irish names are "Irish for [insert English name]". Gobnait is the feminine form of Gobbán, which is derived from goba, 'a smith' (An Gobbán Saor = a master craftsman). St Gobnait is the patroness of many churches in southwest Munster, most notably Baile Mhuirne in Cork and Kilgobnet in Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Logan, not quite sure what to make of it.

It's not Irish for anything. Stop misappropriating ancient Gaelic names with English equivalents- that pisses me off.

I suppose Eire is the Gaelic for Ireland? I suppose Sean is the Gaelic for John? I suppose Corcaigh is the Gaelic for Cork?

No- they are anglicized names imposed during the Penal times.

The Gaelic names came first and the English equivalents don't mean jack ****. Whereas the Gaelic names actually mean something...:mad:.

Agree a million percent. Thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭acai berry

I have an irrational dislike of all boys names that start with "Z". There's loads of them.

http://www.aussiethings.com.au/babynames/zboy.htm

My worst offender is Zak. I said it's irrational!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,124 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Gobnait.

It's Irish for Deborah isn't it?

Deborah is a Hebrew name meaning Queen Bee

St Gobnait was the patron saint of bees . So the names have nothing to do with each other at all . St Gobnait was on occasion referred to as Deborah because of the bee connection and patron of bees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,356 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There was a Holden kicking other kids on a bouncy castle on Sunday
    Pretentious name = obnoxious child

The parents probably thought it was pretentious and didn't know it was the Australian badge for Opel cars.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

It's not Irish for anything. Stop misappropriating ancient Gaelic names with English equivalents- that pisses me off.

I suppose Eire is the Gaelic for Ireland? I suppose Sean is the Gaelic for John? I suppose Corcaigh is the Gaelic for Cork?

No- they are anglicized names imposed during the Penal times.

The Gaelic names came first and the English equivalents don't mean jack ****. Whereas the Gaelic names actually mean something...:mad:

Ps I have no opinion on Gobnait.

What's the Irish for "untwist your knickers"?

You know what I meant ... if someone called Deborah went to a Gaelscoil would she be called Gobnait?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

I see Cardi B (“who?” I know, I know) called her daughter Kulture.

Money really cannot buy class.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Noveight wrote: »

Money really cannot buy class Klass.

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭Harleen Quinzel

Noveight wrote: »

Money really cannot buy class.

Kulture Kiari Cephus is the baby’s full name.
    It’s...different :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

There's a woman on judge Judy called Chancess. Wtf

Kulture Kiari Cephus is the baby’s full name.
    It’s...different :eek:

The parents are Belcalis Marlenis Almanzar and Kiari Kendrell Cephus.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

PandaPoo wrote: »
    There's a woman on judge Judy called Chancess. Wtf

That's what you get for watching that shyte.

To thine own self be true

That's what you get for watching that shyte.

You take that back you jabroni!!!!

On the issue of Irish names having to mean something, I get it! My name is Deirdre. I am told the meaning of my name is "sorrowful". The name existed before the legend.

My sister in law is Sorcha. People say it is the Irish for Sarah. So we Irished up the biblical name then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

My sister in law is Sorcha. People say it is the Irish for Sarah. So we Irished up the biblical name then?
    Careful now...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,356 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You know what I meant ... if someone called Deborah went to a Gaelscoil would she be called Gobnait?

Nobody should be called either of them tbh :p

Meanwhile, from the Irish Times report on yesterday's visit of two unemployed people from London:
    Eight-year-old Ayana O’Callaghan from Clontarf in Dublin gave her opinion on Meghan. “I think she’s pretty but she shouldn’t have to wear tights because her skin is really nice.” But it wasn’t all fun and happiness among the selfie-sticks, delirious tourists and screaming girls.

“Daddy, I touched both of them,” said a breathless Twinkle Polgolla (12) from Park West to her dad. “I felt special.” Her sisters Nikishi and Tharu were equally excited because they too shook a royal hand.

But their sister June (14) was inconsolable, tears falling down her face. “She didn’t make it. They moved on,” explained her mum.

Maybe June is inconsolable because she's the only one with a normal name? She'll come to appreciate that when she starts applying for jobs!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,210 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Her name was Gobnait, Gobnait
    It never suited her
    And they said that when we grew up
    We'd get married, and never split up
    Oh, we never did it, although I often thought of it

Oh Gobnait, do you recall?
    Her house was very small
    With wood chip on the wall
    When I came around to call
    She didn't notice me at all

Nobody should be called either of them tbh :p

Meanwhile, from the Irish Times report on yesterday's visit of two unemployed people from London:

Maybe June is inconsolable because she's the only one with a normal name? She'll come to appreciate that when she starts applying for jobs!

I'd say the others are normal names wherever the Polgolla's home place is

(I'd guess Leitrim)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭iphone6

Gary or Declan

• Advertisement

iphone6 wrote: »
    Gary or Declan

Deccccccccccccooooooooooooooooooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

Gretchen . Horrible, horrible name.
    Gertrude also.
    And Adrian. Just awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

tupenny wrote: »
    Gertrude also.
    And Adrian. Just awful.

Adrian will forever more be associated with a pimply, clueless adolescent. I don't think anyone called Adrian would be a fan of Sue Townsend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭HughWotMVIII

Nigerian twins named Good and Evil.

Another called USNavy. I don't remember from which country but apparently the US Navy was stationed there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Another called USNavy. I don't remember from which country but apparently the US Navy was stationed there.

AKA Squid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

There was a traveller girl on Channel four by the name of 'Fanta'. I assume after the orange drink. That trumps Concepta or Keith in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

tupenny wrote: »
    Gertrude also.
    And Adrian. Just awful.

I'm planning if I have daughters..

Gretchen Gobnait and Gertrude.
    We'll be the new Kardashians.

To thine own self be true

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Ah now surely Irish schools wouldn't forcibly impose a 'translated' version of her name on a child?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Ah now surely Irish schools wouldn't forcibly impose a 'translated' version of her name on a child?

They do. At least in the one I went to. Off the top of my head, in my class, there was a Sarah, Claire, Tom and Joey who were Sorcha, Clár, Tomás and Seosamh while at school.
    Addressing them by their actual names wasn't allowed. Irish versions only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

My daughter is in a Gaelscoil and they translate their surnames but not first names.

Advertisement