Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The worst kid's name you've ever heard?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭VandC

Uileann - (elbow??)

Did you see this written?
    Or could they have called oileán (island), which wouldnt be much better anyways...

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vampyre

I've never liked the name Oisin for a child or adult. My rescue pug... owner was very evasive and said he didn't have a name. Poor dog was registered as Oisin.

maudgonner wrote: »
    Checks name of thread...checks post...checks name of thread again...

Nope, still not getting it :confused:

Is their surname Hunt?

Yeah, it ain't the worst.

vampyre wrote: »
    I've never liked the name Oisin for a child or adult. My rescue pug... owner was very evasive and said he didn't have a name. Poor dog was registered as Oisin.

My cat is called Amelia after the lady I got her from, Emelia.
    My other cat is called Corey and that has nothing to do with me. I got him when he was 7 years old.

I have called animals after people before, like Pat the budgie, Martin the cat, and Mark, another budgie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

A boy in my son's class called Huw.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

I heard one today, Sicily. Get in the fcuking sea :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

entropi wrote: »
    I heard one today, Sicily. Get in the fcuking sea :mad:

Cecily?

Not your ornery onager

I have called animals after people before, like Pat the budgie, Martin the cat, and Mark, another budgie.
    Ditto! And why not?

I've had dogs named Hamish, Vinnie, Zoe, Johnny, William, Max and Dorothy, had horses called Robert, Onslow, and Josephine, and a fish named George (RIP)!

In each case, the animals who got the human names tended to have characters which were most compatible with humans. Sometimes, human names can be super appropriate to animals, depending on their personalities and (usually) an affinity with people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭Suckler

Jordyn. Destined to have many convictions for petty theft and a clutch of kids by 19.

vampyre wrote: »

Ah. In rural Ireland, destined to become Weeshie.
    Suckler wrote: »
    Jordyn. Destined to have many convictions for petty theft and a clutch of kids by 19.

But doesn't the "y" turn it from skanger name to classy name? No? I didn't think so either...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

maudgonner wrote: »
    Checks name of thread...checks post...checks name of thread again...

Nope, still not getting it :confused:

Is their surname Hunt?

I know a load of Mike/ Micks but I would never think of looking at a tiny baby and calling it Mike. I know children called Michael but the Mike thing just made me go "huh?". It is his actual full name, not a nickname.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dizzyn

Memphis

Unfortunately not a joke...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

dizzyn wrote: »
    Memphis

Named after Memphis Raines?

PNlFPf8-dhcl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

My cat is called Amelia after the lady I got her from, Emelia.
    My other cat is called Corey and that has nothing to do with me. I got him when he was 7 years old.

My Lizard's name is Richard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I like traditionally boyish names that can be girls names - Alex, Sam, etcetera. Even Jordan I can live with, although I think there's a lot of social cache regarding certain names and the subsequent disapproval of society about them. Goes both ways too - Mary and Evelyn were both boys names.

Don't like names with unneccessary 'y's in them. Martyn is definitely up there. As is Jordyn. Evelyn I am used enough to that Evelin would just look weird. Overall, don't like mucking around with the spelling for unyqueness.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vampyre

Ah. In rural Ireland, destined to become Weeshie.

But doesn't the "y" turn it from skanger name to classy name? No? I didn't think so either...

He became a Figaro known as Figgy. He even answers to it sometimes.

Two little girls I know are Imogen and Saskia, again names that don't seem to suit babies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 190 ✭✭baldtooyoung

I met a braxton today!

Conceived to 'unbreak my heart' blaring in the background. Methinks yes,and fair play! It's a great song but if they liked toni braxton so much,why not name the boy Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Gerinspain

Memphis

I posted Memphis a couple of pages back....there can't possibly be 2 so we must know the same people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Samaris wrote: »
    I like traditionally boyish names that can be girls names - Alex, Sam, etcetera. Even Jordan I can live with, although I think there's a lot of social cache regarding certain names and the subsequent disapproval of society about them. Goes both ways too - Mary and Evelyn were both boys names.

Don't like names with unneccessary 'y's in them. Martyn is definitely up there. As is Jordyn. Evelyn I am used enough to that Evelin would just look weird. Overall, don't like mucking around with the spelling for unyqueness.

I'm dealing with a Rychard in work at the moment (through email and phone). I haven't met him but assume he is a fully grown adult.

I met a braxton today!

Conceived to 'unbreak my heart' blaring in the background. Methinks yes,and fair play! It's a great song but if they liked toni braxton so much,why not name the boy Tony

Why you damned Yankee, respect the ana of the ConFEDrusee...that's after Braxton Bragg himself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

A girl I know called her baby girl IndieK

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dizzyn

Gerinspain wrote: »
    I posted Memphis a couple of pages back....there can't possibly be 2 so we must know the same people.

New born? Hard to believe I know!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

kitten_k wrote: »

Be worse if it was IndieKate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Phoenix - boy child.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

heldel00 wrote: »
    kitten_k wrote: »

Be worse if it was IndieKate

Especially if she ever became a BMW driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Gerinspain

Gerinspain wrote: »

New born? Hard to believe I know!!

Yes, new born. Has to be the same child.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I know a load of Mike/ Micks but I would never think of looking at a tiny baby and calling it Mike. I know children called Michael but the Mike thing just made me go "huh?". It is his actual full name, not a nickname.

Ok... But you know he's not going to be a tiny baby forever, right? If anything I think parents who choose names that are cute for babies but not appropriate for anyone over 12 are the ones who need their heads examined.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Samaris wrote: »

I think it's Welsh with a Y.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

I think it's Welsh with a Y.

Yelsh? Wylsh?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

A colleague's neighbour has named her baby Mike!!!

...never understand that sort of stuff. Name him officially as Michael ..and call him mike/mick/micko/mikey whatever yourself ..that way he's got the option of calling himself whatever version he wants as a teenager..

Advertisement